OH NO NO NONONO

OH NO NO NONONO

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simeon_I_of_Bulgaria
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Rome existed in some form of another from ~800BC to fucking 1450AD
That's fucking mental

Ooh, some urban Greeks in 1450 were subject to about 5 laws that were executed in 800 BC Italy and survived in some translated books in a monastery.

Ooh, his coronation ritual mentions Augustus.

That must mean something.

>empire lasted over 1000 years despite constantly being surrounded by enemies
That's fucking awesome.

>hurt starts playing

The only enemy the byzantines had was themself, civil war was almost seasonal

There were people who thought of themselves as Romans as late as the 20th century, absolutely insane to think about

Christianity, not once

should have converted to catholicism after the sack

this and court intrigue
*tips iconoclasm autism*

Based Crassus

Greeks deserved that

Rome still exists in some form, silly.

not really

How?

give me a quick rundown on 976-1022 and expansion into middle east

cool maps btw, would appreciate more of these for different countries

> German Empire still exists in some form because Berlin
Literally retarded user

>Rome still exists in some form, silly.
>Rome
not roman empire

Gee, maybe it's a sign they didn't really think of it the way you think they thought of it.

And you're forgetting the Orthodox Arabs known as Romans. Even besides that, Greeks mrght still be Romans in Greek, it's just not the preferred term.

To say
>Rome still exists in some some form
Imagine if someone said
>Berlin still exists in some form
That would be retarded, seeing as it currently exists. You can understand why I would assume something else, especially seeing as the whole of the Roman Empire was commonly referred to as simply Rome.

Proto-Romans existed since 1200BC (Trojans)
Anybody who claims the Byzantines weren't Romans is fucking retarded, Romans started as greeks, took their religion from the greeks and ultimately died in greece

wtf I hate, unironically, the ERE now

Byzantines were NOT Roman

Nice try user but the Romans were never defeated. The empire continued functioning as a political regime with large bureaucracy yet in tact, and still full of people. Sure they were up in the Black and Aegean Seas as much as the Med, but remained in play after the fall of W. Roman emp in mid-fifth century Gothic, vandals, and no thanks to the huns the pricks.
>They still used battle formation instructions in latin.
called themselves & were referred to as Romans.
> judicial system maintained latin as official lingua franca, for awhile.
Ask a Russian and they'll tell you Moscow is Third Rome, Constantinople is second Rome.

>to fucking 1450AD

It's still there, ya dumb

>Romans started as greeks

t. Gianny Papadopoulos

>le ebin t.meme
prove me wrong

Byzantines were NOT Roman, papadopoulos.

No, but you prove how they wuz greeks

>inb4 muh Aeneid

muh aeneid

Doesn't the Vatican have the authority to crown a successor to Rome?
Or am I making shit up?

There were some Greeks on islands after the ottomans collapsed who, when called Greek by a Greek soldier, corrected them by saying they were Romans. Im working on finding the source for anyone interested

here you are user
facebook/notes/tasios-kotakis/hellenism-in-byzantium-the-transformations-of-greek-identity-and-the-reception-o/232480986962419/
>When the island was occupied by the Greek navy [in 1912], Greek soldiers were sent to the villages and stationed themselves in the public squares. Some of the children ran to see what these Greek soldiers, these Hellenes, looked like. "What are you looking at?" one of them asked. "At Hellenes," we replied. "Are you not Hellenes yourselves," he retorted. "No, we are Romans."

>using Crassus as a tripfag

Thanks user. I wasn't saying I thought they were Romans in the 1900's, just that there were still self-identified Romans, which I find very interesting

More like this?

Larpers got their ass kicked by Italians, the true romans

Proto-Romans still exist through Brutus of Troy, which took the Trojans to Treviolanum, now London.
And just like Rome the barbarians have invaded, and the degenerate Romans can only watch as their country is run into the ground.

The Popes never really had that power. They made it up in 800s.

It's best that Third Rome never becomes a thing then.

Maybe out of topic but, do Freemasons have anything to do with Roman culture or are they just ancient Egyptians LARPers?

They trace their roots to the builders of the Temple of Solomon, so if you count living under their rule as a connection I guess. But not really. They weren't a group with real "power" until the 1600s or so when they began all the more ritualistic stuff.

Literal fanfic.

I think they were making a joke about how Rome (the city) still exists.

Lol the fuck are you talking about?

It's okey dokey to steal memes, but it's not okey dokey to forget to crop them newfriend.

Okey dokey, have the wojak for that.

Now thats a man!

It's actually an example of unparalleled stability, considering the circumstances.

look at what that post was answering to

How could they have had the power? The real roman emperor sat in Constantinople.

So if the english start speaking scottish, they are not the uk anymore?

The ottoman rulers saw themselves as roman emperors too.

>Rome is still exist while Constantinople became a muslism cesspool

Is that God's will?

Yes, it's Allah's will.

why are they praying to the colosseum

>900
>Bulgarias apex
Nigga what? According to the map they were totally occupied by the romans and I happen to know that certain someone called the bulgarslayer

they're instinctively attracted to violence

>Rome existed in some form of another from ~800BC to fucking 1918AD
FTFY

>people born as citizens of the Roman Empire lived to hear about the discovery of the Americas

WTF I am byzaboo now

The Byzantine Empire was literally the legal entity of Rome. Whether it is the same cultural entity is a completely different argument.
What holds true is that the Roman Empire as a legal governing entity lasted until 1453.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simeon_I_of_Bulgaria

The certain somebody is a century later. The final subjugation of Bulgaria happened in 1018 A.D When Basil II made it the Theme of Bulgaria. Basil was a good ruler to the Bulgarians, he kept the local nobility in their place, and kept the taxes and the way they were collected the same. It's his successors that replaced the local Bolyars with Byzantines, raised the taxes and the rebellions started.

Ask DankHistoryMemes on iFunny he'll hook you up

you know, now I don't feel so bad about the 4th Crusade

Wow this dude was pretty badass. Shame that Bulgar were so goddamned inconsistent when it came down to their conquest.

The Venetians deserved it

I think muhammad was the worst thing to happen to human civilisation

luck, not stability, if a certain few energetic and capable rulers didn't solidify the constantly crumbling empire from time to time the Byzantines would have collapsed during the wars with Bulgaria.

Don't forget Andronikos' autism. Allowed for massacre of the Latins, hated Catholics so much that he allied with Seljuks. Showed middle finger to the crusader states when Saladin was fucking their shit up, even though Manuel was on good terms with the Franks. It's no wonder that crusaders sacked the shit out of constantinople. All these years of building good relations between byzantines and Franks destroyed just like that. Baldwin III and Amalric were on such good terms with Manuel that they even had joint raids against Egypt. I blame Andronikos.

This hurts deep inside man.