Anybody here on low FODMAPS or a fellow IBS sufferer?

Anybody here on low FODMAPS or a fellow IBS sufferer?

The low FODMAPS diet has been suggested to me. Just wondering if it's possible to make gainz on this shit.

Fodmap will help you find what you react to, and when you have those mapped out you can work around them to be able to eat a balanced diet. I have my routine pretty set by now and it works great. Gaining weight for the first time in forever.

awesome dude. did it help you with your ibs? specifically the fucking bullshit bloating symptom if you had that?

Sorry, lost the thread for a bit
It helped immensely. The bloating issues dissappeared completely when I found out what foods caused them and avoided them. I still have some issues with weird food combinations but I'm learning (combinations, not just singular foods, is a factor sometimes).

thats really good to know. what foods or food combinations did you find you were unable to eat? was it a lot of stuff or just a few things? do you find it alright to eat out at restaurants and stuff?

thanks

I can't eat processed foods at all, and have issues with a lot of basic things like oils and most grains (I can still eat clean rye, yay).
Eating out can be a challenge. Junk food places are completely out of the question but the high end places are mostly fine. They make more from scratch and use better ingredients.
Some of the things I love to eat are impossible to eat together. A lot of people react to kale, cabbage and apples, but I'm fine with them as long as I don't eat them along with fatty foods. Salmon and apples eaten within 4 hours of each other is a nightmare. Most IBS-people react to legumes but I react less to legumes than I do grains, so it's very individual.
You just have to explore your own system and see what works. One thing is that you have to learn to cook from scratch. There are really no shortcuts if you want to avoid the bloat, cramping and diarea/constipation hell.

fucking hell dude how long did it take you to realise all that stuff? sounds never ending.

I've been living with IBS for 15 years now, so I've had time to adapt to it. It never ends, but managing symptoms makes a lot of difference.
It makes life miserable at times, but friends and family are used to it. IBS can make it difficult to be social unless you have access to foods you know are safe for you.

well, now you're at a place where you're mostly good and hardly have any pain/bloating right? also healthy with your gym and gains going on right?

*Also what about booze? Can you still have a good night out? Probably not, fuck.

Yeah, no problems. It's easy when you develop good habits. Adapting to eating more when lifting was the hardest challenge in a while, but it worked fine after a month of testing it out. I value a healthy diet so I don't want to lean on foods that will mess me up in the long run, like high-cholesterol foods (few people react to proteins, meat and eggs)

A night out is no problem as long as I don't drink beer or fruity cocktails. I prefer dry wine, whiskey or gin and tonic, and find no problems with them. Beer is bad, but I can drink small amounts on an empty stomach.

*small as in half a whiskey glass full. But you should test what works for you. This is how it works for me. We're all individuals.

that's the only plus side I can see of this... maybe it will result in me becoming much healthier in the long run as you end up cutting out all the bullshit people eat that make them unhealthy. in a way, it can be a good thing, but man it sucks how much spontaneity it saps out of life. eating is obviously a huge part of our lives and not being able to do something as simple as a grab a hotdog when you're hungry in town and having to constantly plan or have a plan for your next meal all the time sucks.

I wonder how I'll ever be able to travel with this BS. I'll probably be getting married in about a year and I wonder if I'll spend my honeymoon just bloated up like a moron.

thanks a lot dude

No worries. After you get into a routine it works automatically. You'll know what to eat and where to get it, and develop small life hacks here and there. I've traveled a lot and all with IBS, and it worked fine. You'll probably be known as the picky guy but health is more important than pleasing strangers. Good luck on the wedding, dude.

>Adapting to eating more when lifting was the hardest challenge in a while, but it worked fine after a month of testing it out.
Can you expand on this a bit more please? When you ate more, it gave you problems? Was it just the quantity, or was it that you were having more combinations as you ate more and that made you worse? How did you discover what worked for you eventually?

Btw what about protein shakes and other supplements? Thanks again.

low fodmap is very difficult to stick to especially if you eat out any time.

For me if i avoid lactose and avoid as much gluten as i can it helps a lot.

It after a week or two of doing it your body will just start feeling really good and your energy levels will go up.

I already avoid lactose and gluten. I stopped lactose because I had an intolerance test done for it and I was found to be profoundly intolerant. I went gluten free too because as a kid I was gluten intolerant but it passed when I turned 10. I don't really know if going gluten free nos has helped me much 2bh.

I'm definitely not cured by just cutting out these two though. I still get all bloated and feel pain, etc.

you will likely need medication

depends on severity, its hard to manage with diet alone.

It wasn't quantity that was the issue (though that can be an issue in general with IBS). More that most of calorie dense foods is stuff that I react to, so it took a while to find ways to get enough calories in. I couldn't eat oats or other grains, no oils, cheese and so on. Milk was okay but only small amounts. Before I found that rye worked I leaned on whey which I had no issues with, but I couldn't eat my daily calories in protein because rip kidneys. I found a balance between legumes, nuts, avocados, lean dairy like quark, and fruit/veggie/whey-smoothies, and managed to find something that worked. Some people react to dairy though, and not all react to oats. If you're fine with oats and other grains there shouldn't be a problem, but it all depends on what you react to.

I discover what I react to by trying it out. I prefer to test something new on an empty stomach, then try it in combination with other things to see if there's a difference. Some foods work fine on their own, or in small amounts, some foods are a complete no-go.

wow that sounds healthy as fuark m8, glad it's working for you. i hope i also find something that works well for me

You will, don't worry. Good luck.