I have serious hip pain when squatting...

I have serious hip pain when squatting. Should I lay off the squatting for a couple of weeks and focus on stretching everyday?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=im7V47VbR4o
breakingmuscle.com/yoga/increase-strength-by-integrating-yoga-10-essential-postures-for-strength-athletes
youtube.com/watch?v=jT2b0fLMLS4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femoroacetabular_impingement
jtsstrength.com/articles/2015/05/08/the-hip-impingement-solution/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I had this problem so i'll speak from my experience

Pain wasn't coming from inflexibity but rather not 'activating' my glutes enough. By experimenting with stance width and foot angle, and trying to push my hips forward in the concentric phase (and squeezing glutes), the pain went away and my squat went up.

How serious are we talking user?

And yeah, it would probably be a good idea to stretch and rest for a little bit.
With luck you may only need a single week to get back at it.

Should I stop doing deadlifts too?

play with stance widths and knee positions

Take a week at leat strech and do bodyweight squat looking for a good stace for you

I have overall piss poor stability and muscle activation.

I've only just recently started to feel my forearms activating during a row.
I still get piss poor activation during a bench.
& Squat.

I'm worried about squatting really wide, and I also don't feel I can get the flexibility I may lack from a pre & post workout stretch.

Feelslikeshitman.

T F L
F
L
youtube.com/watch?v=im7V47VbR4o

Stretching will not fix the problem. Your obliques and abdominals are weak, therefor the hip flexors take over their job to compensate for this weakness and get overused.

>I had this shit for 6 months and it was so easy to fix

You say it hurts when you squat and the pain is in your hip. Try isolating your hip and do some flex/extenstion of the hip, the same as abduction and adduction + rotations. If it hurts it is your ligaments.

Your answer is here dickhead, what else would it be from?

How the hell is a TFL Stretch going to solve ALL a persons squat problems.

Dickass.

I'm also not the fellow who started OP. I'm just generally bellyaching.

Fucker.

just do this, you'll be back to normal in a week

breakingmuscle.com/yoga/increase-strength-by-integrating-yoga-10-essential-postures-for-strength-athletes

this
get glutes and core working and it should go away

it's called Femoral Anterior Glide Syndrome (FAGS)
(seriously)

2 weeks off dl and squatting. You're just doing too much weight and probably doing a half-squat or some shit. The only time I had that pain was when I broke my leg and had to learn how to walk

My problem with squats was that I kept squatting too far down, beyond my flexibility. Lower back rounds, or some other muscle compensates. Just get to parallel (or as far as a tight/straight lumbar will get you) and use the "bounce" at the bottom to get up. Never felt doms in my glutes until I did that.

Just foamroll it out.

What if I feel hip joint pain, like something was impinged in there? Should I also stretch tfl? I can't fucking deadlift because the pain is really strong. I don't feel it at all in day to day life.

From personal experience, to all the people experiencing anterior hip pain at the bottom of the squat, I can say

DON'T STRETCH, at least not while it's sore. Your mobility is not going to be the issue Instead focus very heavily on correct bracing, make sure your glutes are engaged, and keep your torso nice and steady. Don't get into hyperextension.

An user pointed this out to me years ago when I was experiencing it and I thought I just wasn't stretching enough. It didn't do shit, but miraculously when I focused on my torso stability and not going into extension, it went away and never came back.

I had this when I first started using barbells. I think for most of us our body just never had to use those parts before from a lifetime of sitting. Only thing that helped was time + massaging it. I head a rumor that stretching makes it worse, it's better to just rub.

youtube.com/watch?v=jT2b0fLMLS4

STRETCH YOUR HIPFLEXORS BEFORE AND AFTER SQUATTING

And take a break from squatting now until the pain is completely gone

dont do like me and fuck up your hip flexors for literally 1year+

gl user

bumping my question with a pic of a nice lady for you homos

Who is this semen demon?

fuck off why the fuck would you stretch when u hurt something that makes no sense
especially in OP's case stretching will just make things worse
this
although "engaging your glutes" is not that useful a cue IMO. focus on pushing your knees out - that will do the trick.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femoroacetabular_impingement

?

>what is a filename?

she's from hueland btw

I also had this issue at one point. Turned out the distance between my knees as I went down was too narrow

I can second this. Had pain in my hip flexors, especially my left one but learning to use hip drive (engaging your glutes) eliminated the problem.

no idea i had that when i did low bar.. switched to high bar and now my right knee hurts so i cant squat anymore. I think therefore i am retarded.

question. do squats fuck your knees?

Only if you do them wrong.

I thought this was from sitting all the time but actually it was from my stance

I opened up my knees and it went away.

Pretty sure it's from your femur hitting the top of your hip and causing inflammation at the tendon there. IE your hip flexor

no, sounds memey but they fixed my knee pain

this, its anterior femoral glide syndrom

I would agree with all of the other posts in the thread saying it has to do with you glutes.

What is probably happening is that when you get down in the bottom of the squat and start back up your glutes are not firing or may even be too weak for the weight you're lifting. This causes weaker muscles, specifically the hip flexors, to take over. Hip flexors cannot handle high amounts of weight.

I had a similar problem when I started lifting. One thing that helped me was bringing my stance in a bit (though it was probably unnaturally wide).

You should also make sure that your knees are tracking properly and not buckling inward.

But what will probably be the most effective mental clue is to focus on trying to push the floor down and away from you when you come up out of the hole. You should also make sure to not just drop loosely down into the squat, keep thinking about using your glutes throughout the whole motion.

Push through your entire foot (not just the heel or the tips of your toes).

I would recommend spending a week or 2 with lower weight and higher reps, focusing on proper form. The pain should go away. Lower the weight until you can squat properly without pain then go up from there.

this exact circled portion of my left leg starts to hurt whenever I have my feet properly tucked under to do bench press. I have no idea what to do about it, it's fucking with my form

When I have this pain my hip bone literally grinds and clicks. You can hear it from anywhere in the room. I stopped high bar squatting and started trap bar squatting. Pain is gone for now.

I've had this pain 3 times in the last year. Scared to squat anymore, but next time I do I'm going to put extreme focus on ass and see if it comes back.

My experience:
>Get back into gym after short 5 year absence.
>Stretch religiously before every workout.
>Get squat back up to lmao1.5plt.
>Sharp pain in deep hip adductors.
>Try to work trough it, nope.jpeg.
>Pain is constant and sharp, can barely walk, half-certain I've got a hernia.
>Start squatting with plates under heels, modify stance, deload, stretch even more.
>None of that shit helps.
>Don't go to gym for 2 weeks because pneumonia.
>Come back - pain is back after first squat session.
>STOP STRETCHING.
>Pain disappears within a week and didn't come back, now at 3.5plt.

hurr durr im fucking retarded enough to ask this question

I have similar pain. Self diagnosed as FAI
Doing this to fix it
jtsstrength.com/articles/2015/05/08/the-hip-impingement-solution/