/Cardio General/ lads. Get in here

/Cardio General/ lads. Get in here.

Because if you aren't doing cardio in addition to lifting, you probably aren't Veeky Forums.

>What kind of cardio do you do?
>Enjoy it?

Ask questions about cardio and answer other user's questions.

>Pic related; firefighters need a fuckload of cardio

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/article/strength_training_and_the_firefighter
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This might be a good question to ask here actually

I started biking again about 2 and a half months ago for cutting reasons and I've seen huge progress. But it's now nearing winter, and I live a little further North than most. Does anyone bike outside in the winter? How is it?

I'll start.

>Runnerfag
There's a dirt track near me, so I try to run on it at least once or twice a week.
Kinda boring though, so I'm looking for something new.

Just found an old skipping rope. It's a nice one; I think my sister brought it along wit some other expensive shit when she was "totally gonna get fit". Plus I hear boxers use them a lot.

Anybody got any infographics on them? Or ways to exercise? I'm not sure if I should just jump rope for a while, or if I should go all out for 2 minutes, rest, then repeat a few times.

Swimming

OP here. I'm not a biker, but I have been jogging on a dirt track for the last 4 years. Often in rain, and winter. Well, the Australian equivalent of winter.

As for how to bike handles, I have no clue. But as for body temperature, you need to kinda "calibrate" how you dress. It's easy to layer the fuck up, but if it's not as cold as you thought, the sweat gets really uncomfortable. It's also annoyingly easy to wear too little. Experiment and figure out what clothing is most comfortable for cold weather, or you'll have a really shit time of it. Once you get it right, it's really quite pleasant.

I always get the "Oh user, it must have been horrible out there!" and now I just nod an pretend I'm really dedicated.

>It's actually comfy as fuck, I just like the attention

>tfw I'm a firefighter and do almost no cardio

But I deadlift 600 lbs so whatever. Most fires are over in a few minutes all you really need is a little mental fortitude

Swimming in winter, biking and swimming in summer.

Yeah essentially what you just said is what I did tonight. It's starting to dip in temperature quite a bit, 2 degrees Celsius so I actually wore loose fitting jeans along with a coat and a toque / Helmet. Can you think of a warm-ish alternative to the pants? Something a tad more flexible.

But I completey agree with you on going out regardless of the weather, my dad thinks I'm crazy when I go biking in medium / heavy rain but, just like you I'm feeling mighty comfy out here lol

Been using rowing machines 4 days a week for the past 3 months. Been doing a lot of steady state, I'll usually do 4x2k at under 1:53 pace at 22-24 strokes a minute. It can be grueling some days because I have classes from 12 to 6 and I can't eat before I workout so some days I'm really hungry and tired. But it's worth it, it blows off all my stress and I hate feeling out of breath when I'm not exercising. I'm also very experienced on those machines so feel free to ask for tips/advice.

Soz senpai, didn't see this. If it's really cold, then get a pair of tracksuit pants that's too big (thift store pants are fine) and wear them over whatever you normally wear. For me, it's another pair of tracksuit pants. Sounds stupid, but that extra pair of pants does a shittonne. Also they usually get pretty flexible, especially if they're worn in, but still trap crazy amounts of heat.

Another trick is athletic tights under tracksuit paints.

But, on a night that hit, like, 4 degrees celcius, I had to walk somewhere (can't even remember why) and I wore 2 tshirts, 2 pairs of tracksuit pants and 2 pairs of socks under 2 hoodies. Kept me really damn warm, because it felt like so little of my body heat was being lost, or leached away by the wind.

I also keep a cigarette lighter on me as an emergency hand warmer in day to day life, but I rarely have to use it. Only really if I have to walk home from a train station in really cold weather for whatever autistic reason.

I hope Im asking this in the right place.
I tried to start a cardio routine with the couch to 5k thing, which might be a meme but thats not the issue. Every time I start running or exerting myself too much for any extended amount of time (about 3 minutes), I'll get a red rash on my face and torso that itches and have some trouble breathing. At first I thought it might be that Im really out of shape (I am) but itching doesnt make sense for that. If I am somehow allergic to exercise is there a way to get over it? Should I just push through it and finish the routine until the symptons go away?
Now that I think about it this has happened before; I first noticed this probably 5 years ago when I was in highschool marching band, but it took more to trigger the reaction then than it does now.

I enjoy kettlebell complexes. If you invest the time to learn the technique they're (at least for to me) the funnest way to smoke yourself.

Firefighters don't need cardio. Most guys I work with are fat fucks and "overheat" within five minutes of being in the building. Firefighters need to eat less and keep tobacco out of their mouths.

I run tuesday and thursday and do HIIT sunday. Im supposed to do 3.65 miles on my next run, and HIIT I usually just do until I feel really tired. I dislike the running itself, but I like the listening to music, being outside, and the feeling after a good run.

Favorite complexes?

Does hopping around in one place for ten minutes count as cardio?

You can't be allergic to exercise because that isn't a thing, but you might have asthma. I would see an allergist about that. They might put you on a maintenance inhaler that will help. Inhalers are kind of expensive but you might not need it forever. I have asthma that used to make me cough uncontrollably throughout spring and fall. Now that I'm fit I don't even take my inhaler anymore, I haven't been sick in years, and my lung capacity is better than a normal person's.

If it gets you out of breath and gets your heart rate up by a good amount yes. Jump rope is excellent cardio, you just can't do it where anyone can see you unless you're openly homosexual.

New to Veeky Forums board and in general all gym things related. Been to the gym few times and I want to keep up a constant pace. Though a friend taught me all the required exercies for muscles, I don't know anything for cardio.

I practices running, but on the running machine is way too boring and won't work, since it is very cold outside and I can't run out.

I want some cardio exercises to lose weight

this

rowing and swimming for life

Tips for cramps? I can run for a while, my legs don't even get sore, but my upper body has trouble keeping up. I get cramps and whatnot on the right side under the nipple and armpit.

Recovering fatty btw

Cyclist here. I live somewhere south where the winters are nice (sometimes below freezing but no snow). Layer up and you'll be fine. Waterproof rain jacket, gloves, neoprene shoe covers, leg and arm warmers and you'll be good to go in almost any conditions. Be careful with handling if the roads are snowy/salty, and be aware that shit can destroy your bike. If the conditions are horrible, a lot of serious cyclists use a winter only bike, or will ride a CX bike on roads/paths. Worst case scenario, get a trainer and make your pain cave inside. TrainerRoad and Zwift make riding the trainer somewhat tolerable, and following a power based training plan can have you see gainz quickly with targeted workouts.

Warm up, that will solve most of your issues.
I do at least 5 min of stretches (arms, legs, core) before and after running. It also feels good as fuck to be flexible.
Also, respiration is crucial. Just get a steady rhythm and repeat until it's burned into your skull (1-2-3 steps-exhale at the 4th for me).

I have been walking for 1,5 hours a day.
Did swimming, running, cycling, and all that other stuff but I enjoy walking the most though. Not sure why.

Finally started getting the notorious "runners high". Its nice because now I have something to actually look forward to when I run instead of misery

>tfw runner's high kicks in under heavy rain.
>tfw your body is freed from its shackles.
>tfw your mind is in a literal trance
We are the blessed ones brah

maybe it's your sweat that causes it? possibly your running clothes, I'd try different types of clothes and seeing a doc if I was you

Cycling anyone?

Yeah, cycling is God tier cardio

>allergic to exercise

No. Exercise is the opposite of an allergic reaction. Exercise purges your body of chemicals and toxins you have stuffed it with. When you stress your skin in unfamiliar ways and environments it can sometimes cause a reaction. Are you in physical pain? Is there anything stopping you from pushing through it? No? Then stop being a bitch and push through it. The symptoms will go away when you eat right and get stronger

Does anybody have some good jump rope routines for beginners? It's gotten too cold to run and that's pretty much my only alternative.

Career firefighter here. I haven't run a mile in three years. Firefighting doesn't need cardio, you aren't running into buildings.

This. Guys panic and start breathing hard and run a 45minute bottle out in like 15 minutes. If you get tired when you go do a bottle swap outside another company is swapped in so you can rest a bit if it is a large warehouse fire or something. The only thing I'd find cardio useful for is high-rises.

I don't Wana be that guy but that's literally the biggest try hard picture of a fireman ive ever seen. I guarantee that guy has never been in a single fucking fire.

>firefighters need a fuckload of cardio

Yeah they also make 40k a year why am I supposed to be impressed lad

I;m not a fat girl

I also get 20 of 30 days a month off lol. I caneed work another job if I want. My Ole lady makes bank so I'm happy.

I do a couch to 5k program about every other day, I am having trouble when I run on track it makes my right calf feel like it's turned into a rock

startingstrength.com/article/strength_training_and_the_firefighter

Relevant to this.

cycle every day

find road kinda boring so usualy go on the canal or on woodland trails.

>pic related: my new saracen mantra

I want to start boxing.

I alternate

Fuk ur mum WSSu for 2 hrs
Den ur sister MTF for 2 hrs

>What kind of cardio do you do?

Rowing machine, 30 minutes every day, 45 to hour once a week.

>Enjoy it?

Sure. It literally saved my life.

I live on the Arctic and bike year round. It's nice if you've got proper gear. Without proper gear it's literal hell that has frozen.

Studs are a must if you get snow/ice. Dress in layers, you don't actually need a lot of clothes as long as they're water and windproof. Ideally you should be feeling a bit cold for the first few minutes of riding. That way once you've gotten warmed up you'll feel comfy.

Runners high is the best thing even though I am a cyclist. People wonder why I keep cycling even in the deepest winter through the eternal night but little do they know that during the winter months the highlight of my day is the commute on my bike.

Here