Is this the best beginning program for strength + aesthetics

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xTDapcklnV8
strengtheory.com/powerlifters-should-train-more-like-bodybuilders/
strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/
jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=24448
muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

looks like Phrak's GSLP plus an extra upper body set. Been on Phraktured's variant since may and lifts are up but not seeing as much progress in my arms as I'd like. Might give this a shot.

Nah. But literally any novice routine works.
It doesn't matter more than negligibly

Anything lower than 8 reps on the regular is not going for aesthetics.

That is a strength program.

(nice quads)

OP here, after I hit the wall with this one, I plan on adopting Zyzz's split routine for aesthetics with a few modifications for strength:

Monday: Chest/Biceps:

>4 sets of Incline Dumbbell Press, 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Bench Press, 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Incline Flies, 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Chest Dips until failure
>3 sets of Barbell Curls, 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Preacher Curls, 8-10 reps, then drop the weight to half, and push out another 8

Tuesday: Legs/Calves:

>4 sets of Squats 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Lunges 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Leg Press 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Leg Extensions till failure
>3 sets of Leg Curls 8-10 reps
Calves are self explanatory, just use some of the machines till failure, a lot of reps, feel the burn.

Wednesday: Back:

>3 sets of Lat Pulldowns 8-10 reps
>4 sets of Deadlifts 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Bent Over Rows 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Dumbell Rows 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Hyperextensions 8-10 reps

Thursday: Shoulders/Triceps:

>4 sets of Shoulder Press, alternate with Barbell & Dumbell every week 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Upright Rows supersetted with Lateral Raises 8-10 reps
>3 sets of front raises 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Lying Rear Delt Raises 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Close-Grip Bench Press 8-10 reps
>4 sets of Pulldowns 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Skullcrushers 8-10 reps

Saturday: Full Body:

>3 sets of Deadlifts 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Squats 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Clean and Jerk 8-10 reps
>3 sets of Weighted Pull ups 8-10 reps

any thoughts?

Nice meme, bro.
It is 2016, familiarize yourself with Brad schoenfeld

If you're up to it and have the time, I'd do icf 5x5, I've been following it and having pretty good results.

Are you a beginner?
Do you want an amazing, minimalistic, best-bang-for-your-buck, 3daw, 1hr/workout program
SS has too many squats for your taste and GSLP has too few deadlifts?
Read on!
Workout A
Squat 3x5 (this means AMRAP in the last set like in GSLP and will not be clarified again)
OHP 3x5
Weighted Chinups 3x5

Workout B
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5+, Snatch grip DL 2x5
Curls SS Lat raises 3x10-15ish optionally

AxBxAxx/BxAxBxx

Zyzz was on gear, you won't maintain the regime.

what routine is this and why are you speaking in infomercial speak

just add in 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps, low weight, each workout

incline db bench (chest)

seated row (arms)

front squats / hip thrusts (ass)

What is hypertrophy

how do you think it should be modified to avoid fatigue?

>doing a roider's routine as a natty
>following the fitness advice as a roider who made way less gains that he should have had for the dosages he used
>doing bro split as a natty
You should look up iraki nutrition and 3dmj and juggernaut training systems on jewtube.
See what actual educated fitness experts have to say about training frequency and volume

THE LORD HAS SPOKEN

that's trash

no rows

weighted chin ups aren't for a beginner

Dependent on training volume (setsxrepsxload) not rep range.

Hence me referencing schoenfeld

don't do mon, tues & wed - need some rest days

it's just a crap ton of volume and you're OP so you want a beginning program

that's not an beginning program for strength - it's intermediate for aesthetics

youtube.com/watch?v=xTDapcklnV8

bump

I'm a fan of gslp. I do a combo of phraks and this one (failing on first set twice I reset) plus I add about three hypertrophy exercises each day.

For example my last workout was
Bench 3x5
Wgtd Chinup 3x5
Inc db 3x12
Tbar row 2x10
Squat 3x5
Curl 2x10+

Seeing strength and aesthetic gains

rep range doesn't determine hypertrophy

however, you will be able to do more volume in a lower intensity range, which means more hypertrophy

see
strengtheory.com/powerlifters-should-train-more-like-bodybuilders/

strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

P good but personally basically the same but;
When you bench, do rows, and when you ohp, do chins.

I don't do arms on DL day but on squat days I do db curl and dip machine OR db hammer curl and overhead tri extension 3x12

On deadlift day I do lunges or split squat.

Every session I rotate between abs or back extension 3x20 or 3x12-15 respectivly

Eh, I'll take personal experience over ANOTHER youtuber telling me about weight lifting.

>rep range doesn't determine hypertrophy

So I can do 50 reps?

let me ask you then.

let's say you're doing deload when you fail the first set twice. what if you make the first set both times but can't complete the third set? should you just continue increasing the weight anyway?

Not him but if you fail to meet your rep target (3x5) drop 10%, then do 2x5,1x5+

If you are deloading and failing there is a problem, likely diet or sleep related...

he is asking about deloading when failing on first set twice vs failing on final set twice.

i don't have a good answer for you, but to me when i switch to using the first set for failing i've never failed two workouts in a row. sure i'm getting a few reps less volume a week but i'm still getting stronger.

not being able to complete 3x5 is failure. all failures are equal in gslp

if you read op's image this version uses the first set, which results in less resets. you can still make gains without full 3x5.

I combined Phrak's and Veeky Forumss with the additional chin ups and pushups as suggested by the book OP

I was going off what was in the greyskull book.

I have had success with doing 3x5, then next time upping weight and doing 5x3, then 3x5 on the session after. might help... might not.

bump for zyzz

Dr. Eric Helms isn't just "a youtuber"

GSLP is a good framework, this is Phrak's GSLP variant but modified a little. This is the original.

There is no "perfect" beginner program. As a noob, if you're eating right, sleeping right, and lifting right, you will gains strength and mass.

I think GSLP is a great, balanced routine. My personal favorite is the Average F'n Program which is a modifier of that as well.

This one has a little more accessory work, but still well balanced and if you stick to it, eat right, and get your sleep in you will make great gainz.

what's the progression, what are your stats, etc etc.

Looks like the candito hypertrophy-strength program. Check out his PDF on his website for more info.

Yes, as long as you progressively overload the training volume over time

Do the frequency stuff on lifting days.
Actually rest on your rest days

how's this one?
jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=24448
6 day ppl for beginner

Nice quads faggot but from the top of your first link:

>but to make the most of this style of training, it helps to have a solid muscular base first.

noob here, around halfway to 1/2/3/4
most of these programs have you squatting 2x a week and deadlifting 1x; can i deadlift 2x and squat 1x if i don't want my quads getting too big? i' already having trouble fitting into "athletic" fit/tapered pants.

bump

>At the end of 8 weeks, the group doing sets of 3 gained more strength, but both groups gained the same amount of muscle.

He literally cites a study completely contradicting his whole point.

Dropped.

just so you know, you're the one who's fucking stupid, not the guy who knows infinitely more about the subject than you.

It's more for safety than anything that you normally only dead once a week. I wouldn't recommend it.

yeah, sure, you can.
do one normal deadlifts and the other SLDLs.

>Trusting jewish studies that are trying to take our gains away and make us look like fat powerlifters

No, but other people that know infinitely more than I do about the subject disagree with this grandstanding faggot.

no rear delt work

>do phul
muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

This routine any good?

It is a full body 3x week routine that trains each and every muscle 3x week
it's basically a more balanced version of GSLP
>no rows
Unnecessary, chinups are better for lats and biceps (longer ROM + harder to cheat) and the posterior chain gains are pointless if you do squats or deadlifts 3x week. If anything, rows will only fatigue you and cuck you out of your deadlift gains because your erectors will be fried
>weighted chin ups aren't for a beginner
I clearly meant they should do chinups and apply the progressive load principle on them instead of going for 3xF like in SS
If you are too fat, do lat pulldowns, assisted chin ups machine, band assisted chin ups etc. Whatever is available.
Chin ups work rear delts
Unless you want direct isolation work for every single muscle fibre, this programming works fine for you.

I'm trying to do this but I only have 3 days to do this in. Can probably alternate the two hypertrophy days.

I was wondering if I didn't want huge or even that strong legs, shouldn't I just skip the hypertrophy leg days and go for Upper strength/Lower Strength/Upper hypertrophy?

would this be retarded?

>training anything once per week
Not a good idea, you will be constantly sore due to DOMS and make zero progress
Instead of cutting the program in half, cut the days in half: only do squats and deadlifts, no accessories. And if you are too tired one day, do leg press and leg curls instead for that day.

Yep, it's decent.

But the problem is, I can't go 4 days a week, simply no time. Should I still alternate it? That's what candy toe suggests.

Once you aren't pathetically weak this is the routine

Candy Toe suggests Lower Strength Monday, Upper Strength Wednesday and alternating Lower/Upper Hypertrophy on Friday iirc. This seems too powerlifting specific, you could just do UxLxUxx/LxUxLxx. This offers less focus on lower rep ranges but more evenly distributed rest periods in a week.
This is a very good example of a PPL for roiders.

>This is a very good example of a PPL for roiders.

LOL

Go on give me an example of a PPL for nattys so I can laugh

>UxLxUxx/LxUxLxx
oh, that is more realistic. I guess I just don't like to do legs all that much and trying to find a way to do less.

I have the "strength base". What routine should I now do for aesthetics?

1x5 means aim for a 5rm, 5x5 means @80%ish of the 5rm weight
>Pull (before push, not after)
Weighted chinups (any grip, or alternate between grips every workout) 1x5
Weighted chinups (preferably other grip) 5x5
Curls if you want (I don't curl cause it's boring)
HIIT (because pull days are very short and because you want to be fresh for the next leg workout)

>push
Bench/OHP 1x5
OHP/bench 5x5
Incline DB bench
Dips
Facepulls
Lat raises (superset some accessories if you want to save time)

>Legs
Squat/DL 1x5
DL/squat 5x5
Leg press or front squats as accessories

5x week, rest on weekends

Prove me wrong

>Pull (before push, not after)

why

then you should already be pretty big and all you need to do is cut.

>5x a week

So you only do legs once a week?

also that pull day is a meme

Because in push pull legs, 1) your grip will be more fatigued for leg day and 2) your legs will be more tired from the sprints too (if you choose to do the sprints on pull day, which I did because it is so short)
It just fits better
Also 3) why not?
>weighted chinups are a meme
>PPL 5x week means legs 1x week
American education, everyone.

>Going to failure on deadlifts, squats, and bench
w-what?

SS + GOMAD

noob to working out here.

When you do a workout like..

2x5 pushups
2x5 pullups

Do you do both sets of pushups back to back, then do both sets of pullups, or do you do the pushups, then the pullups, then the pushups again, and then the pullups?

>resting heart rate in 50s/60s
that is exceptional

that's strange, my OHP and bench has skyrocketed since i started with Phrak's Greyskull

Hey Veeky Forums if i want to start weights after doing calisthenics only for 3 years, should i do this program or just the sticky, i went once to the gym and benched 100kg for 4 reps we only have 10kg bars and 15kg pl8s, im 5'8"(173cm) and 155lbs(70kg) btw

AMRAP is not to failure, it's as many reps as you can do safely and with perfect form. Essentially you just do 5 reps BUT in case you still happen to have some juice in the tank you crank out a 6th or 7th rep IF you can do it with good form. Because there's no reason to leave anything in the tank when you're just doing like 2-3 compounds and 1-2 accessories before heading home.

Remember, no cardio. You don't want to live to 23.