Podcasts

Hi Veeky Forums, I was wondering if any of you listen to / can recommend any history related podcasts about Roman history. Sure I could go read a book, but I’d like something to listen to on commutes and I feel like I’ve picked up a lot of bits and pieces about Roman history without a proper throughline, a podcast following the rise and fall of Rome would be great. Is there such a thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01hb0h8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I listened to "The History of Rome" and I really enjoyed it. It covers everything, from Romulus to the fall of the western half of the empire.

Hard core history - countdown to armageddon by Dan Carlin

?

This looks good thanks!

Oh sorry, Didn't read the whole post.

Hard core history - The Celtic holocaust by Dan Carlin

While not really a "narrative style", In our time is amazing since it is generally told by historians who specialize in the field
bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01hb0h8

??
How about recommending Dan Carlin’s Fall of the Roman Republic?

Is it like a talk show? Does it have a script or do the historians just say whatever they want about the given topic?

Basically they go from start to finish on a certain topic, and the host will sometimes asks questions to clarify some things on the way, but mainly they try and stick to a "start-finish".

This Mike Duncan is great. Listen to THORP

Or that one

Where's the best site/app to find and listen to these?

I used Podcast Addict to download the episodes. I think you can also find them on iTunes. And there's the site with all the links, but it'd take quite some time to download all of them manually. You can find it with a quick search.

Mike Duncan’s Rome can be found on the Podcast app for free (for Apple shit). I got Dan’s Roman stuff off ITunes for 2.99 each.

I just read OPs question and already the guitarintro is playing in my head.

Every day until you like it.

>Implying

get an audible account and listen to The Great Courses
>Famous Romans
>The History of Ancient Rome

Then listen to Charlton Heston narrate the Classics
>Gallic Wars
>Plutarch
>12 Caesars

grow up and stop listening to soyboys on podcasts

>Charlton Heston
Sorry Charlton Griffin
Not the Planet of the Apes guy

He narrates for Audio Connoisseur. His voice is the GOAT

I don't think anyone has said "The Fall of Rome" by Patrick Wyman. Excellently done, and more than just a survey of Roman military and political leaders. He's got a PhD for hecks sake.

underrated podcast: totalus rankium

his next series tides of history is also good for post roman stuff.

This, guy is based

He also narrates Wedgewood's "30 Years War."

Nothing feels more patrician than starting a fire after work and listening to Decline and Fall while having a glass of cognac.

He's pretty great. Although Victor Bevine, who did Pinker's "The Blank Slate," is my fav.

Surprised nobody mentioned "The Fall of Rome", it's hosted by a guy who did his PhD in History in that subject so he includes a lot of archaeological findings, talks about the Roman economy in depth, sometimes speaks about the changing climate in that period and mentions obscure letters from that epoch which he read for his disertation since he actually reads classical latin. Now his work is concentrated in another podcast called "Tides of History" which is very good also.

Lol, they already mentioned it, I must be blind.

Should be said twice desu. He's infinitely more qualified and interesting than Carlin, and Tides has about as much production quality.

Thanks, I'm addicted to it now

Almost finished the Kingdom