Do taller people do more work in the weight room since they're moving the weights farther?

Do taller people do more work in the weight room since they're moving the weights farther?

yes, but they also need to move more weight to get same gains as manlets, because their muscles are larger

Work is force over distance. So no shit. OP = tard

why the need to ask such an obvious question?

You're both retarded. No work is done because the weights always return to the starting position. Try not being pathetic fucking idiots.

Yes.
It's why taller and heavier men can progress in terms of strength with moderately advanced calisthenics.

You're the retard. You do work on the weights when you lift them up, but when you lower them you do negative work so it erases any benefit you got from lifting them up. That's why you should always drop your weights at the top, especially on heavy sets.

This guy's right, as unintuitive as it seems.

>the weights return to the starting position

Not for me :^]

the range of motion is longer, are you a moron?

W-What's the answer to the image

Alright I'm tired as fuck and feeling retarded for not figuring this out. The scale wouldn't tip because of the steel ball's mass being supported by the crane, right?

I really need to go to bed

Tips to the right. The ping pong ball is full of air so it applies upwards force, the right ball doesn't affect the balance.

You are wrong
Shity sketch related

Embarrassingly bad understanding of physics.

Work is done whenever you lift the weights. YOU aren't doing "negative work" to the bar by setting it down, gravity is.

I think that's the intended result bit the volume of the 2 balls are the same yet the mass of the ping-pong ball is on the left side on the scale where the steel ball is supported by the crane

The left side weighs the weight of the beaker, water and ping-pong ball, the weight on the right weighs the weight of the water and beaker.

If the ping-pong ball was held down by a crane type contraption too then it would remain balanced

Literally the only smart person in this thread.

Wrong, as I said in the ping pong ball applies upwards force. Consider why the ping pong ball floats, and consequently how it applies force to the beaker.

Top kek how retarded are you?
>hurr durr ice floats so it'll lift the water off the table

sorta, but you have to remember that they are moving less weight and for many lanklets they can't squat atg. Also how quickly they move the weight determines work too

>hurr durr
Back to 9gag with you

But what about the force that is being applied by the water to the steel ball that is, what you call it, the thing that forces things out of water and shit. Like if you put a steel bar in water, it obviously won't float, but it will weight slightly less.

>implying I put the weight back in the plate dispenser
Checkmate mathfag

>I was called out for being wrong but I can't refute it so I'll insult the guy
Wew

>If I fill my lungs with air I can fly
Literally what you're saying.

It doesn't, the string is atached to the beaker, not the scale. so the guy is right, Left side = beaker + water + ping pong ball.

Otherwise you could build a device that will make itself float by filling it with water and ataching a boyant enough material inside.
Kind of like those "holding yourself in the air" gags in old cartoons

>the ping pong ball applies upwards force

How? It's the water that applies upward force to the ball, not the other way around.

>Consider why the ping pong ball floats
Material density, nigga

No the buoyancy force doesn't work like that, that's like saying a cup of 500g of water weighs more than a cup of sparkling water with 500g because there is bubbles in the sparkling water

The volumes are the same so the amount of water displaced is the same in both beakers. Both beakers weigh the same. The weight of the steel ball is supported by an outside force the crane, and the ping-pong ball is supported by a force inside the system, the beaker.
The weight on the left is greater than the weight of the right by the weight of the ping-pong ball

There is a downward direction to buoyancy, though it is much weaker than the upward force, so at least some of the mass of the steel ball is in play, but I can't figure out how much and if it is enough to affect the scale

shit I remember myself.
that force equals the amount of water the object displaces.
so we got
Left side = beaker + water + weight of the ping pong ball
Right side = beaker + water + weight of the water that would occupy the volume of the ping pong ball

Right is obviously heavier.
Ok I solved it guys, we can rest now.

are you trolling? the ball is at equilibrium relative to the beaker so it gets cancelled out by stress on the beaker. it does not exert a net force on the body as a whole.
the bouyant force is relevant yes, and it obfuscates the problem significantly.

The buoyancy force of the ping-pong ball only matters in the isolated system of the beaker. Outside the beaker, for all intended purpose the ball is floating on top of the water which adds to the weight of that side of the scale. Do the same for the steel ball, for all the scale cares it's on the other side of the world, all it was doing was displacing the water to make the line the water raises to the same height as the other beaker, the steel balls weight was supported outside the system.
the scale tips to the left because the ping-pong ball adds it's weight to the beaker

> The left side weighs the weight of the beaker, water and ping-pong ball

no because the ping-pong ball is tethered down. What if you tied a rocket to a scale and turned the engine on? While the rocket is in the air but still tied down, would the scale dip under the weight of the rocket, or would it rise due to the rocket's upward force?

The point is that the end of the string attached to the pingpong ball exerts a downward force to counteract the upward buoyant force of the water. In equilibrium, the string is taut, which means it exerts the same upward force on the bottom of the scale.

Ping pong ball creates a static force in the string and literally affects nothing aside from the weight of the left side. Technically, the beam is actually heavier on the left side than the right. So the only forces to consider is the weight of each beaker, and the buoyancy reaction of the right beaker on the steel ball. The buoyancy force will be equal to the weight water displaced, which will be less force than the weight of the left side of the beaker. Therefore, the right side rises and the left side moves down, aka counterclockwise rotation of the beam.

Imagine the beakers are empty of water, for all we really care they are because it is stated that the volume of water in each beaker is the same.
One beaker now has a ping-pong ball sitting on the bottom of it, the other has a steel ball floating in the air.
Which way does the scale tip?

Now add one drop of water to each beaker until we reach the point where the question was asked. Does the scale tip in a different way even though the same weight was added to each side?

we already discussed this here.
The string is atached to the beaker, not the scale.

Note the reason that the left side is heavier is because while the same displacement exists for both beakers, the ping pong ball has mass, while the buoyancy force on the steel ball is only equal to the weight of the water displaced.

> implying gravity is conservative near the earth's surface
>still able to incite responses from even stupider people
Never change Veeky Forums.

/thread

So then the weight of the water shouldn't matter either because it doesn't touch the scale.

This you faggots

I even went and tested it.
put a pot on the scale with water in it. put an object into the water while holding it, the weight of the scale goes up because of that archimedian shit, at it equals the weight of the water that the object displaces.
Right will sink

you are confussing object mass with forces that it applies or are applied to it. Please don't do that, it is very retarded

Except right wouldn't sink you fucking mong. Left side is heavier. Did you even read the posts you quoted?

You didn't do your experiment correctly
Do it with air like I said
Get a pot, place it on your scale. Record the empty pots weight. This is your base state.
Now pretend your arm is a crane, make crane noises if that helps you. Grab a spoon and hold it inside the pot but not touching any of the sides. Record the weight of the pot and crane spoon system. This is the right side of the scale.
Now drop the spoon into the pot so it floats on the air. Record the weight of the spoon pot system. This is the left side of the scale.

Which weighs more

it tips the to the right

It isn't, you fucking idiot.
If steel ball is fully submerged, the weight of the water that would occupy that volume is added to the scale.
Not even counting the string at the top, bitch, since even without it, Right is obviously heavier.

Here have a Shity sketch of the system with the thing that is constant on each side canceled out.

Which way does it tip?

I was using your logic to show how absurd it is. Obviously it doesn't matter that the water doesn't touch the scale directly, so by the same token, it doesn't matter that the string isn't attached to the scale directly either. If you put an object on a scale and pull it upwards (keeping it on the scale of course), the reading on the scale will decrease. Try it! In this case, the tension of the string is applying an upward force to the beaker, which in turn decreases the downward force on the scale.

no youre a fucking retard, the left side isn't attached to the scale and so the weight of the steel ball has ZERO net effect on the scale as a result. troll harder you dumb fuck

>>>/9gag/

The systems are different.
Air also has that archimedian shit, but since both ping pong ball and steel ball are much heavier that air the force would be the same.

>so they cancel out
LMAO
M
A
O

You could if the air you could fill your lungs with enough volume of gas that was less dense than the atmospheric air. Go hop in a pool and notice how you float a bit higher if you take in a deep breath than if you breathed out

the amount of water, thus the weight doesnt change just because
>muh steel
is submerged you fucking retard

itt retards and water displacement

>same water amount same position
yw

Sum of the forces on the left:
Fleft= g*(Mwater + Mstring + Mball)

Sum of the forces on the right is harder. The water is exerting a force to try to keep the ball up ONLY if the ball is in motion, which it is not.

The tension on the string should then be equal in magnitude to the mass of the ball.

Fright = g*Mwater + g*Mball - Tensionball. = g*Mwater

So by my calculation left is going to go down.

I was thinking from an equation standpoint of weights. Balance out would have been a better choice of words. The nett difference in weight from the beakers is zero as the weights are the same

Protip: the presence of water changes how the pingpong ball effects the beaker to the left
again: LMAO

what's the medium in which the are located, bitch?
let's say that it is all submerged in water, see the problem here budy?

Your wrong. The systems are the same as in the picture in the OP.
You have an object suspended and an object submerged. You are correct that the same forces apply to the water system and the air system

>implying no change in work = no work done

lmao

Yeah, except it isn't you fucking RETARD, because the volume of water is the same for each beaker and therefore the weight from water is the same, and the weight of the water would be included in what is displaced by the steel ball. The beakers weigh the same in every regard except the left side has the weight of the ping pong ball too, you stupid nigger faggot.

if you have the scale at home, fill the pot with water and submerge, litteraly anything in it, while holding it. see if it will affect the scale (it will)

How the fuck are people falling for this b8? I knew the fags here were autistic but come on

I just looked up the problem, I'm wrong about water only exerting a force to keep the ball up only if the ball is in motion.

The water always exerts a buoyant force on the steel ball, therefore it is most likely going to tip to the right.

no it doesn't.
seriously bitch go to your kitchen and do this.

>So by my calculation left is going to go down
You're wrong because you're not accounting for the buoyancy force present in the right which is going to be dependent on the weight of the water displaced by the steel ball in the crane system. That's the entire point of the problem

Add a beaker to each side of that picture. The scale is still tipped to the left right?
Fill each beaker with the same amount of water.
Does the scale magically tip to the right now?

Technically yes, the force travels through a longer distance and therefore is more work.

>2 balls

>what is buoyancy

The buyance force is included in the weight of the water you fucking REATARRRRRD. the water doesn't weight more because it's displaced. The force upward is the same as the water displaced. How much more water does the right beaker have than the left. NONE YOU WALKING MENTAL HANDICAP

They're equal size and and equivalent amount of water is displaced for each. Are you retarded?

>the water doesn't weight more because it's displaced
That's not what I said at fucking all. Jesus christ I hope you're trolling

>uh uh! I know what ill do! ill troll him xD
time for you to go back to /r/eddit kiddo

You are all mentally retarded. Even those that are correct because you can't into english, maths or physics to explain why what happens happens.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=stRPiifxQnM

the total work of the system would be zero. the work done by the person would be positive and the work done by gravity would be negative

lrn2physics

No net work != no work done

Almost right

>can't explain why what happens happens
>posts somebody else's explanation

W E W

E

W

Yeah you are right. IDK why I thought there was no botany force if the ball was stationary for only the right but not the left.

I never said I wasn't mentally retarded. Though I did not participate in the mental retardation shit fight.
Take that as you will.

you pretending to be retarded doesn't induce anger in me, brah.
I was experience pity towards you when I wasn't sure whether you really was that stupid.

i dont read sideways

fair enough

take your meds and fuck off back to where you came from you cuck

fuck you, I explained it good enough here
I mean, I guess you have to give a two minute explanation to a retard like you, but I was kinda aiming at "more smarter" anons

Dude I am russian, I can't be a cuck, at worst I am an uncivilized rapist.
Stop projecting please.

>i was experience
>you really was that stupid

>being illiterate
hurrr u showed him cleetus

you are the epitome of a cuck. get off of my board or ill report you

I obviously quickly scanned the thread and posted that video while generalising what I had seen

Shit, that was illiterate as fuck.
eh, I solve physics, you want words, get a languager.

And tell me user, where can I find a "languager"?

Get off Veeky Forums right now, summerfag

>this much retardation in one thread
This is your last chance to redeem yourself Veeky Forums.

yes

left, both water weigh the same but the ping pong ball pulls up

Assume G=0
Derivative of 0 is 0.
H^2*0 must also be 0.
Proof complete.

Is this seriously the best you have?

forgot to add
>Derivative of 0 is 0, which is G.

a short computation using the Jacobi identity shows that ker(g\to K(g, -)) is the K-orthogonal complement of [G, G], where K is the killing form. By semisimplicity, ker(g\to K(g, -))=0 and the claim follows.

The second question follows from the Whitehead lemma :^)

>mfw Veeky Forums redeems itself
Now prove the Whitehead lemma.