Paganism

Is there any pagan religion/movement that has survived since ancient times in Europe?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhimmi
youtu.be/cvKRbi2ovDY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Christians
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_the_Middle_East
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Lebanon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_people
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copts
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_genocide
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul_pogrom
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_invasion_of_Cyprus
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamidian_massacres
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batak_massacre
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adana_massacre
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1843_and_1846_massacres_in_Hakkari
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Migrations_of_the_Serbs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uatsdin
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Some Nazi officers were neopagans

Yeah but i mean. Is there any pagan religion in Europe that isnt neo-pagan?

Finnish paganism. Lived up to the 20th century and the last runic singer from a thousands year old line died a couple years ago.

The Sami People in the North of Sweden/Norway and in some areas of Finland.

No, pre-modern Christianity must have been the most intolerant and totalitarian religion. Meanwhile, in the Middle East dozen branches of Christianity, Zoroastrianism and even Gnostics survived for centuries under Islamic rule.

Islam, the religion of peace.

beautiful *weeps*, now I will let my wife fuck Ahmed

>Right now there are Christian communities all around the ME living there since the Islamic conquest
>There were no Muslims left in Spain and Sicily by the 16th century
>There are no pagans left in Europe
>American native religions are practically destroyed
Keep meming, my friends.

Muhammad did nothing wrong.

Admitting that christian societies were at times less tolerant than muslim ones would be easier to admit if it wasn't considered an argument to let historically christian people let themselves replaced by muslims.

Maybe its not a sign that Arabs were kind to Christians, but that the Christian faith was strong enough to survive the oppression.

>Protection racket religion
>Missionaries constantly pestering and chopping down your magic trees religion

Lets also not forget that Christians were mostly content to live beside Pagans until those Pagans started raiding their lands. Saxons, Danes, Norwegians, Swedes, Prussians, Lithuanians all started shit first.

Don't start shit if you don't wanna get hit Varg.

Good thing this is Veeky Forums and not /pol/, so you don't have to bring modern politics to historical discussion.
>the Christian faith was strong enough to survive the oppression
>opression
Subject non-Muslims are protected in Islam: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhimmi , even tho they are stripped of some political and economic rights. In contrast, pre-modern Christianity enforced total uniformity, the only (very problematic) exception being the Jews. I mean, surely it sucks when you have to wear a special hat and can't build churches too high, but it's better than being burned alive at a stake or expelled from the country your ancestors lived in for centuries.

Thread theme- youtu.be/cvKRbi2ovDY

>better than being burned alive at a stake or expelled from the country your ancestors lived in for centuries.
Totally not what happened in Anatolia, North Africa and the Levant

>Northen Crusade was an act of self-defense
>Native Americans and sub-Sahara Africans raided Europe first

>Saxons, Danes, Norwegians, Swedes, Prussians, Lithuanians all started shit first.
"Starting" shit as a concept does not work for a time when states were there was perpetual war.
For that matter, only the saxons and the prussians were actually conquered. All of the others converted (or rather, the ruler converted and his subjects followed suit).

The more interesting question here is not why christian states attacked pagans (or converted them) but rather why there was no group within these states to keep their religion. Actually, there was one: the jews. It's possible that islam just allowed more other religions (or a greater share of those present in its sphere of power) as accepted minorities than christianity. Note that real paganism has also died out within muslim countries.

>Good thing this is Veeky Forums and not /pol/
Sweet summer child.

>islam dindu nuffin
Why post on a history board, if you know nothing about history?
It is literally a simple google search away and you'll find info on this topic. I'm Christian and I'll accept the fact we did some terrible things. It is time you do same on your end, friend.

kek

>did
I think you mean continue to do

What are Christians doing now?

Not him, but I'm so happy with what they're doing to you in Jerusalem. Most muslims will defend what happened to my country in 1974 and what they did to my father, so I'm not too sympathetic with what's going on. In fact, I hope they completely cleanse they're country from your presence.

>Anatolia
Islamization was a part of Turkification of the region, there were Greek Orthodox communities all around Anatolia up until the WW1. I don't know of a large-scale forced conversion Spain-style.
>North Africa
Only a thin layer of Latin-speaking urban citizens were Christians, the destruction of the traditional power structures resulted in the quick decline of Christianity in the region, no forced conversions here either.
>Levant
There are millions of Christians living in the Levant right now, and these communities are a direct continuation of pre-conquest Christian communities.
I'm not saying Islam didn't do nuffing, I'm only saying that if you actually consider the facts, pre-modern Christianity was worse than pre-modern Islam oppression and forced-conversions-wise.

The reason the Teutonic Order was granted land by the Poles was because Poland couldn't deal with the Prussian raiders so in a sense yes, the Northern Crusade was the result of Pagans kicking the hornets nest. Native Americans were prone to siding with and converting willingly, as were Sub-Saharans, missionaries were often the first people crazy enough to even go to Africa, European governments followed afterwards, I'm not even sure if there were forced conversions there.

Just like Islam people converted because of political and economic benefits, it also helps that Christianity and Islam are basically written with converting people in mind. If you want to bully Christians you need to bring up Protestant-Catholic autism.

>b-but
>i-it aint t-the same
>we d-dindu it
Careful what you say next, I have a bucketload of wiki articles that will indicate the decimated population of Christians throughout the ages in the Levant, NA, and Anatolia. Not to mention pogroms, genocides, terrorist attacks, and systematic conversions/expulsions of Christians, some of these occuring as early as last month.

Just google, persecution of christians under islamic rule, I think you'll find that it wasn't as nice as you think it was. I'm definitely considering facts and that is why I find it so hard to agree with you. Are you a muslim by any chance?

I too want to know what these evil Christian bastards are doing!

Again, why there are millions of Christians still living for centuries under Islam rule, but there are no pagans in Europe, Muslims in Spain and Sicily, and both Americas are 100% Christian? Sure, there were occasional persecutions, but you can see from the result they weren't as severe as the ones Christians performed in Spain, Baltics, and Americas.

There are plenty of muslims in Europe and America to the point where they have even annexed european land. Look at Albania, Bosnia, Kosovo. They even tried to annex western FYROM in 2001. In contrast with Anatolia where the Turks completely wiped out 99% of their Christian population in a place where they used to be a majority governed by an Empire. And the few million Christians living scattered in the Levant are nothing compared to what they used to be under Rome.

This guy really out here tellin us there are 0 (zero) muslims in all of Europe and America. Do u mind pulling your head out of your arse?

>occasional persecutions
Just light hearted genocides, none of that evil christian stuff.

Can any of you answer the question tho?
This is Veeky Forums and not /pol/, friend.

Judaism.

Abrahamics please leave my thread and put your autism somewhere else

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Christians
>millions
Aight, you're probably going a bit too far there.

Meanwhile there are around 40 million muslims in Europe.
I'm pretty sure you're just baiting now.

Name or link?

Goes likewise if you consider some of the reindeer herders from northern Russia. Probably before 1917, some of the Finnic groups were not totally Christianized.

To be fair he's right though.
Most muslims in Europe are a result of post WW2 immigration.
The only significant native communities of Muslims in Europe are from the Balkans as a result of long-lasting Ottoman rule or are involved in a secession conflict in the Caucasus.

The middle east was not really threatened by Christians, so they had no reason to crack down. (The Crusades were considered minor annoyances, like pirate invasions, but the empires never feared for their existence).

Europe meanwhile was existentially threatened by Islamic armies. They didn't want to give them one fucking chance to survive. They made the right choice.

They both treated minorities the same way. There are a few reasons why Christians remain in majority Muslim countries today while pagans don't remain in majority Christian ones.

>Pagans are not "universal"
Their practices are not shared commonly between any two groups. Its hard to see this because we're viewing religion as we do today. Even Christians/Muslims across denominations have more in common and can agree on more ecclesiastical opinions than two pagan villages a river apart.

>Pagans are not literate (To the same extent)
They rely on oral tradition. This is shockingly easy to destroy, a bad year of anything, famine, war, disease and suddenly half your religious tradition can be lost. A Pagan priest is a thousand times harder to replace than a Christian one.

>Pagans have no concept of missionaries
This ones obvious, if you want your religion to grow it can't be restricted to a family or tribal group. Because they limit themselves like this they need to rely on population to support their numbers, this means that 9/10 times they lose out to people being converted or simply dying is a much larger loss to the religion.

Now if you take these points and flip them a little its easy to see why Christians were able to maintain their identity.

>Universal traditions (Among denominations)
>Religions more literate + Religious figures are more replaceable
While Christians weren't allowed to try and spread their faith typically they have a concept of eternal damnation for apostasy, something not seen in pagan beliefs.

If you think about it you gotta admire Christianity and Islam, they're perfect religions, constantly spreading and converting others.

>Again, why there are millions of Christians still living for centuries under Islam rule
Because jizya exists, having to pay additional taxes because of your religion is hardly fair and those taxes would fund further conquest of lands that also would have to pay them.
>but there are no pagans in Europe, Muslims in Spain and Sicily, and both Americas are 100% Christian?
pagans converted
muslims got kicked out because they were invaders of originally christian lands like, you know, spain or sicily

Dhimmi is a facade, as there was immense pressure to convert. It allowed Muslims to invade without having to win a total victory. They could get the upper hand, settle in for the long-term, and point to Dhimmi to prevent uprisings, all the while slowly chipping away at religious minorities.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_the_Middle_East
>12–16 million (2011)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_in_Lebanon
>1,400,000-1,800,000
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_people
>3.3 million – 5 million
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copts
>About 15 to 20 million[1] (estimates vary)
None of these are recent migrants/converts, all of them are descendants of pre-conquest communities. Again, I'm talking about the pre-modern situation, recent events aren't relevant here.

>having to pay additional taxes because of your religion is hardly fair
Still better than being burned at a stake as a heretic or expelled from the country.
>pagans converted
Sure, like Saxons and Prussians. All of them, with no traces.
>originally christian lands
Nice meme, can't wait when someone kicks Christians out of originally pagan lands.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_genocide
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul_pogrom
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_invasion_of_Cyprus
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamidian_massacres
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batak_massacre
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adana_massacre
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1843_and_1846_massacres_in_Hakkari
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Migrations_of_the_Serbs
Christians have faced increasing levels of persecution in theMuslim world. Muslim-majority nations in which Christian populations have suffered acute discrimination, persecution, repression, violence and in some cases death,mass murderorethnic cleansinginclude;Iraq,Iran,Syria,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Afghanistan, thePalestinian Territories,Egypt,Saudi Arabia,Turkey,Libya,Yemen,Sudan,Somalia,Qatar,Uzbekistan,Tunisia,Jordan,Oman,Algeria,Mali,Kuwait,Lebanon,Morocco,Indonesia,Malaysia,Niger,Tanzania,Kazakhstan,Tajikistan,Turkmenistan,Kyrgyzstan,Mauritania,Eritrea,Bahrain,Comoros,Djibouti,Brunei, theMaldives,Kenya,Gambia,Chad, theUnited Arab Emirates,Kosovo,Chechnya,Bosnia,AzerbaijanandIngushetia, together with Muslim majority regions within non-Muslim majority nations such asNigeria, thePhilippinesandIndia.[202][203][204]

It's not that muslims were above killing Christians, its just that they weren't as good at religious cleansing B) sorry bro, ur loss

>pre-modern

>it doesn't count because the year isn't in my favor
sorry homie, islam is for SCHMUCKS

>Saxons and Prussians were killed to the last man, woman and child

This is delusional and in the same vein of thinking that all the inhabitants of England were killed/expelled by the Anglo-Saxons. There are records of these people converting and being governed by Christians, there are even accounts of them fighting other Pagans together with their new Christian mates.

The Christian people are the descendants of those pagans. Christianity was a generally peaceful conversion within and under Rome, the pagans just adopted a new faith.

I hope the Israelis kill you all

It must be hard to be unable to put aside your political views for a moment to consider a historical question. I explicitly stated several times I'm talking about pre-modern Christianity only, it's not that hard, isn't it?

Fuck no.

Most modern 'pagans' are literally larping considering any history of their religion was written by Christian monks and they simply combine Modernism with some chanting and call themselves pagans.

No I really want the Israeli militia to genocide you and watch your pathetic shithole ar*b banana republics reactions to their inability to do shit

Yet you shine pre-modern Islam in a beautiful, dindu nuffin light.

I'm just pointing out that a Christian community in an Islamic state had much better chances to survive than a pagan or Muslim community in a Christian state, which tells us something about pre-modern Christianity and pre-modern Islam. Apparently, this contradicts stereotypes some people have about modern Islam and they feel obliged to explain away these simple historical facts, and even attack me personally.

dunno if you'd count Ossetia as European but about 29% of the population follows a form of neopaganism: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uatsdin

Please respond to posts that actually try to explain this phenomena instead of arguing with people if you want to try and claim a moral high ground.

I'l tell you something you piece of Mohammedan shit. Islam is younger than Christianity by a long shot. The whole Levant, Anatolia, North Africa used to be Christian. It was YOU who raided, destroyed and killed all those people, leaving behind tiny fractions of them, and then you whimper about Spain, which was 10000000% Christian before you touched it. And look at those countries now, all identical, middle east has become synonymous with a steaming pile of Shit, apart from Cyprus and Israel which are both constantly receiving consequences of YOUR autism. Your countries are poor, divided, full of terrorism and cause problems for everyone else, while contributing close to nothing. And not ONCE did you sit down and think that MAYBE, just MAYBE you should learn the difference between politics and religion.

My man

What about the Romuva faith? The fact Lithuania was the last Pagan country that survived Christianity helped.

Hinduism.

>even though they’re second class citizens, they’re totally not oppressed!
So this is your brain on Islam...

I love one theory that claims that druids and the equivalent hindu dudes that go innawoods and just be super science gurus equivalents are somehow related.

Native Americans were not peaceful.

Because paganism is bumfuck retarded

I think some Caucasus people still practice their indigenous religions to this day, although the vast majority have converted to Orthodoxy or Islam.

Jesus Christ

Add iceland to this list.

I think that counts as neopagan, rather than an unbroken practice since ancient times. No records and Lithuania went through both periods of militant Christianity and militant atheism. All the pagan communities were surely wiped out

Here's your answer OP, the pagan system with the shortest period of interruption and (probably) closest adherence to the original faith

I for one would welcome a resurgence of European polytheism but there are a lot of retards who want to be STRONK VIKINGS or wiccans who are delusional in general.

And christianity and polytheism aren't unable to coexist, as seen by Iceland, where they coexisted for maybe 500 years until the whole island peaceably became Christian. Now iceland is having a real resurgence of Asatru after all this time.

Answers like this are always wrong. What actually happened is that the Catholic Church either subverted or destroyed the major religions in the territories they had access to, and then the lesser peasant heathenry continued on for a while before being mostly destroyed in the 19th century with the rise of scientific materialism.

Although not movements in of themselves, there are plenty of pagan cultural practices that remain.

>>Saxons
Except no, because anyone who refused to convert was murdered. In spite of this, many of the original practices continued for a while after conversion in the rural portions of saxony.

While not considered a "religion", the Faery faith in Ireland is very like one. It has its own rituals and traditions and it's own cast of supernatural beings, and these for the most part descend directly from pagan practices.

>european paganism
>muh musulmans

/pol/ is like that grill that pretends to be geeky, just so she can take over the group with treatise on makeup and clothes

>Except no, because anyone who refused to convert was murdered.
Except double no, this is nonsence. You think they held every man, woman, and child at swordpoint and demanded they formally convert or die? They might have done that to the chiefs, but 99% of Saxons remained heathens after their "conversion", the real work of Christianizing them took generations or centuries, same as it did everywhere.

The Thing in Iceland voted to convert to Christianity in 1001, and they banned pagan sacrifice like a decade or 2 later. I don’t paganism as a religion survives there.

>pagans converted
Hahahahaha.
Oh wait.
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA *breathes* AHAHAHAHAH.

Yeah, that's why Paulus Catena set up a literal death camp for those with different religions in Scythopolis.

You seriously think that no significant amount of them converted?

(All dates "era vulgaris" = Christian Era)

Immediately after its full legalisation, the Christian Church attacks the Gentiles: The Council of Ancyra denounces the worship of Goddess Artemis.

Emperor Constantine declares Christianity as the only official religion of the Roman Empire. At Dydima, Asia Minor, he sacks the Oracle of God Apollo and tortures its Pagan priests to death. He also evicts the Gentiles from Mt. Athos and destroys all local Hellenic Temples.

Emperor Constantine, following the instructions of his mother Helen, destroys the Temple of God Asclepius in Aigeai of Cilicia and many Temples of Goddess Aphrodite in Jerusalem, Aphaca, Mambre, Phoenice, Baalbek, etc.

Constantine steals the treasures and statues of the Pagan Temples in Greece to decorate Nova Roma (Constantinople), the new capital of his Empire.

Constantine sacks many Pagan Temples of Asia Minor and Palestine and orders the execution by crucifixion of “all magicians and soothsayers". Martyrdom of the neoplatonist philosopher Sopatros.

Emperor Constas, son of Constantinus, persecutes "all the soothsayers and the Hellenists". Many Gentile Hellenes are either imprisoned or executed.

New large - scale persecutions against the Gentiles in Constantinople. Banishment of the famous orator Libanius accused as... "magician".

An edict of Constantius orders the death penalty for all kind of worship through sacrifices and "idols".

>>You think they held every man, woman, and child at swordpoint and demanded they formally convert or die

No, but they did it to enough of them that the old beliefs gradually died out and were replaced.

>>they might have done it to the chiefs
Still counts as forced conversion. Also you're forgetting the freemen that Chalemagne had mass-executed for refusing conversion and becoming serfs. You can engage in apologetics for christian tyranny all you wish, but at the end of the day a tyrant is still a tyrant.

A new edict of Constantius orders the closing of all Pagan Temples. Some of them are profaned and turned into brothels or gambling rooms. Executions of Pagan priests. First burning of libraries in various cities of the Empire. The first lime factories are built next to closed Pagan Temples. A large part of Sacred Gentile architecture is turned into lime.

A new edict of Constantius orders the destruction of the Pagan Temples and the execution of all "idolaters".

Constantius outlaws all methods of Divination (Astrology not excluded).

In Skythopolis, Syria, christians organise the first death camps for the torture and execution of arrested Gentiles from all around the Empire.

361 to 363
Religious tolerance and restoration of Pagan cults declared in Constantinople (11th December 361) by the Pagan Emperor Flavius Claudius Julianus.

Assassination of Emperor Julianus (26th June).

Emperor Flavius Jovianus orders the burning of the Library of Antioch. An Imperial edict (11th September) orders the death penalty for all Gentiles that worship their ancestral Gods or practice Divination (“sileat omnibus perpetuo divinandi uriositas”). Three different edicts (4th February, 9th September, 23rd December) order the confiscation of all properties of Pagan Temples and the death penalty for participation in Pagan rituals, even private ones.

An Imperial edict (17th November) forbids Gentile officers of the army

Emperor Valens orders a tremendous persecution of Gentiles throughout the Eastern Empire. In Antioch, among many other Pagans, the ex-governor Fidustius and the priests Hilarius and Patricius are executed. Tons of books are burnt in the squares of cities of the Eastern Empire. All friends of Julianus are persecuted (Orebasius, Sallustius, Pegasius etc.), the philosopher Simonides is burned alive and the philosopher Maximus is decapitated.

Emperor Valens orders the governor of Asia Minor to exterminate the Hellenes and all documents of their wisdom.

New prohibition of all methods of Divination. The term "Pagan" (pagani, villagers) is introduced by the christians to lessen the Gentiles.

The Temple of God Asclepius in Epidaurus, Greece, is closed down.

On 27th February, Christianity becomes the exclusive religion of the Roman Empire by an edict of Emperor Flavius Theodosius, requiring that "all the various nations, which are subject to our clemency and moderation should continue in the profession of that religion, which was delivered to the Romans by the divine Apostle Peter". Non-christians are called "loathsome, heretics, stupid and blind". In another edict Theodosius calls "insane" those that do not believe in the christian god and outlaws all disagreements with the Church dogmas. Ambrosius, bishop of Milan, starts destroying all the Pagan Temples of his area. Christian priests lead the mob against the Temple of Goddess Demeter in Eleusis and try to lynch the hierophants Nestorius and Priskus. The 95 year-old hierophant Nestorius, ends the Eleusinian Mysteries and announces the predominance of mental darkness over the human race.

On 2nd May, Theodosius deprives all rights of christians that return to the Pagan Religion. Throughout the Eastern Empire, Pagan Temples and Libraries are looted or burned down. On 21st December, Theodosius outlaws even simple visits to the Temples of the Hellenes. In Constantinople, the Temple of Goddess Aphrodite is turned into a brothel and the Temples of Sun and Artemis into stables.

"Hellelu-jah" (Glory to Yahweh) is imposed in the christian mass.

Emperor Theodosius orders the Praetorian Prefect, Maternus Cynegius, a dedicated christian, to cooperate with the local bishops and destroy the Temples of the Gentiles in Northern Greece and Asia Minor.

385 to 388
Maternus Cynegius, encouraged by his fanatic wife, and bishop, "Saint" Marcellus with his gangs scour the countryside, sack and destroy hundreds of Hellenic Temples, shrines and altars. Amongst others they destroy the Temple of Edessa, the Cabeireion of Imbros, the Temple of Zeus in Apamea, the Temple of Apollo in Dydima and all the Temples of Palmyra.

Emperor Theodosius outlaws (16th June) the care of sacked Pagan Temples.

Public talks on religious subjects are also outlawed by Theodosius. The old orator Libanius sends his famous Epistle "Pro Templis" to Theodosius, with a hope that the few remaining Hellenic Temples will be respected and spared.

389 to 390
All non-christian calenders are outlawed. Hordes of fanatic hermits from the desert flood into Middle Eastern and Egyptian cities, destroying statues, altars, Libraries and Pagan Temples, whilst Gentiles are lynched. Theophilus, Patriarch of Alexandria, starts heavy persecutions against the Gentiles, turns the Temple of Dionysos into a church, burns down the Mithraeum of the city, destroys the Temple of Zeus and burlesques the Pagan priests before they are killed by stoning. The christian mob profanes the cult images.

On 24th February, a new edict of Theodosius prohibits not only visits to Pagan Temples but also looking at vandalised statues. New heavy persecutions all around the Empire. In Alexandria, Egypt, the Gentiles, led by the philosopher Olympius, revolt and after some street fights, finally lock themselves inside the fortified Temple of God Serapis (The Serapeion). After a violent siege, the christians occupy the building, demolish it, burn its famous Library and profane the cult images.

Some did, lots more had no real choice in the matter.

Also read this guy's post.

Christians are more then capable of murdering people who won't convert to their faith.

On 8th November, the Emperor Theodosius outlaws all non-christian rituals and names them "superstitions of the Gentiles" (“gentilicia superstitio”). New full scale persecutions against the Gentiles. The Mysteries of Samothrace are ended and priests slaughtered. In Cyprus the local bishop, "Saints" Epiphanius and Tychon destroy almost all the Temples of the island and exterminate thousands of Gentiles. The local Mysteries of Goddess Aphrodite are ended. Theodosius' edict declares: "the ones that won't obey pater Epiphanius have no right to keep living on the island". The Gentiles revolt against the Emperor and the Church in Petra, Aeropolis, Rafia, Gaza, Baalbek and other cities of the Middle East.

The Pythian, Aktia and Olympic Games are outlawed as part of the Hellenic "idolatry". Christians sack the Temples of Olympia.

Two new edicts (22nd July and 7th August) lead to new persecutions against the Gentiles. Rufinus, the eunuch Prime Minister of Emperor Flavius Arcadius directs the hordes of the baptised Goths (led by Alaric) to the country of the Hellenes. Encouraged by christian monks, the barbarians sack and burn many cities (Dion, Delphi, Megara, Corinth, Pheneos, Argos, Nemea, Lycosoura, Sparta, Messene, Phigaleia, Olympia, etc.), slaughter or enslave innumerable Hellenes and burn the Temples. Among others, they burn down the Eleusinian Sanctuary and burn alive all of its priests (including the hierophant of Mithras Hilarius).

On 7th December, a new edict by Emperor Arcadius orders that Paganism be treated as high treason. Imprisonment of the few remaining Pagan priests and hierophants.

I know.

"Demolish them!" Emperor Flavius Arcadius orders all the still erect Pagan Temples demolished.

The Fourth Church Council of Carthage prohibits to all, including its bishops, the study of Gentile books. Porphyrius, bishop of Gaza, demolishes almost all the Pagan Temples of his city (except nine of them that remain active).

With a new edict (13th July) Emperor Flavius Arcadius orders all remaining Temples, mainly in the countryside, to be immediately demolished: «Si qua in agris templa sunt, sine turba ac tumultu diruantur. His enim deiectis atque sublatis omnis superstitioni materia consumetur»

Bishop Nicetas destroys the Oracle of God Dionysus in Vesai and baptises all the Gentiles of this area.

The christian mob of Carthage lynches Gentiles and destroys Temples and "idols". In Gaza too, the local bishop, also a..,"Saint", Porphyrius sends his followers to lynch Gentiles and demolish the remaining nine still active Temples of the city. The 15th Council of Chalkedon orders all christians that still keep good relations with their gentile relatives to be excommunicated (even after their death).

John Chrysostom sends his hordes of gray-clad monks armed with clubs and iron bars to destroy the "idols" in all the cities of Palestine.

John Chrysostom collects funds from rich christian women to financially support the demolition of the Hellenic Temples. In Ephessus, he orders the destruction of the famous Temple of Goddess Artemis. In Salamis, Cyprus, "Saints" Epiphanius and Eutychius continue persecutions of the Gentiles and the total destruction of their Temples and sanctuaries.

A new edict outlaws once more all non-christian acts of worship.

The Emperor of the Western Empire Honorius and the Emperor of the Eastern Empire Arcadius, order together that all sculptures of the Pagan Temples be either destroyed or confiscated. Private ownership of Pagan sculpture is also outlawed. The local bishops lead new heavy persecutions against Gentiles and new book burning. Judges showing pity for Gentiles are also persecuted.

Once again, an edict orders Astrology and all methods of Divination to be punished by death.

In Alexandria, Egypt, the mob urged by the bishop Cyrillus, attacks a few days before the judaeo-christian Pascha (Pesach-Easter) and hacks to pieces the famous and beautiful philosopher Hypatia. Pieces of her body are paraded by the christian mob through the streets of Alexandria, and are finally burned together with her books in a place called Cynaron. On 30th August, new persecutions start against all the Pagan priests of North Africa, who end their lives either crucified or burned alive.

The inquisitor Hypatius, alias "The Sword of God", exterminates the last Gentiles of Bithynia. In Constantinople (7th December), all non-christian army officers, public employees and judges are dismissed.

Emperor Theodosius II, declares (8th June) that the Religion of the Gentiles is nothing more than "demon worship" and orders all those who persist in practicing it to be punished by imprisonment and tortured.

The Temple of Goddess Athena (Parthenon) on the Acropolis of Athens is sacked. Athenian Pagans are persecuted.

On 14th November, a new edict by Theodosius II orders the death penalty for all "heretics" and “pagans” of the Empire. Only Judaism is considered a legal non-christian Religion.

None of your points is actually true, there were organized pagan religions that carried out missionary work and that had well-codified holy texts, the muslims burned their books and slaughtered them while the Christians appropriated their books, temples, and organization, and then slaughtered them. This is why Islam has no priesthood to speak of, while Christianity has all those bishops and liturgies and such that are direct copy-pastes of Orphism and other pagan mystery cults.

Pagans only became synonymous with illiterate peasants long after their religions had lost their power, ironically this same process is currently making "christian" synonymous with "rural bumpkin" in the West.

Theodosius II issues an new edict (31st January) against the Gentiles, incriminating their "idolatry" as the reason for a recent
plague!

440 to 450
The christians demolish all the monuments, altars and Temples of Athens, Olympia, and other Greek cities.

Theodosius II orders all non-christian books burned.

All the Temples of Aphrodisias (City of Goddess Aphrodite) are demolished and its Libraries burned down. The city is renamed Stauroupolis (City of the Cross).

A new edict by Valentinianus and Marcianus (4th November) emphasises that "idolatry" is to be punished by death.

457 to 491
Sporadic persecutions against Gentiles of the Eastern Empire. Among others, the physician Jacobus and the philosopher Gessius are executed. Severianus, Herestios, Zosimus, Isidorus and others are tortured and imprisoned. The proselytiser Conon and his followers exterminate the last Gentiles of the island of Imbros, in the northeast Aegean. The last worshippers of Lavranius Zeus are exterminated in Cyprus.

482 to 488
The majority of the Gentiles of Asia Minor are exterminated, after a desperate revolt against the Emperor and the Church.

More "underground" Pagan priests are discovered, arrested, burlesqued, tortured and executed in Alexandria, Egypt.

Baptism becomes obligatory, even for those that already say they are christian. The Emperor of Constantinople, Anastasius orders the massacre of the Gentiles in the Arabian city Zoara and the demolition of the Temple of local God Theandrites.

>tfw the church subsumed all of the pagan traditions

>bishops and liturgies and such that are direct copy-pastes of Orphism and other pagan mystery cults.
Like?

>and that had well-codified holy texts
Like?

Dhimmitude is also not a guarentee of ANYTHING, the Muslims are not bound to treat you fairly as a Dhimmi and reserve the right to revoke their "protection" at any time for any or no reason, this is based on the direct teaching and practices of Mohemmed, who routinely ignored the supposed "rights" of Dhimmis and often massacred or expelled Dhimmis despite no fault on their part.

They obviously are, both religions have deep IE roots and share many concepts, for example the Druids taught reincarnation as a doctrine.

What do you think this proves, dimwit? A decree means nothing, show me the mass graves.

>No, but they did it to enough of them that the old beliefs gradually died out and were replaced.
The faith died out because it had no support from the chiefs after their forced conversion, and it lacked the infrastructure to effectively oppose Christian evangelism.
>Also you're forgetting the freemen that Chalemagne had mass-executed for refusing conversion and becoming serfs.
I'm forgetting nothing, there were probably close to a million Saxones, the number directly killed / converted is tiny as a proportion.

brother

I've heard plenty of people finding links in the language, concepts, songs and everything, one thing that bothers me though, is that gurus or whatever they are called (the hinduis counterpart) do keep written documents of their knowledge that they pass from one guru ( near his death bed) to the new one when he is ready, why, why did druids decided to stay the fuck away from writting?

>had no choice
Bullshit. They had the choice and they chose wrong.

>Like?
The system of bishops is directly taken from the Imperial Cult, the details of the christian service is lifted directly from Orphism, the symbolism of the christian churches is wholly pagan, we only have fragments of original pagan holy texts for "some" reason, but what we have shows these were fully developed, and of course much of these works, particularly concerning philosophy and theology, found their way into christianity anyway.

>>they chose wrong
>>Muh religious beliefs are correct and anyone who disagrees deserves to be killed!
Yeah no, fuck you and your stupid desert cult. People like are why I wish the Romans had started serious persecutions much earlier. We'd be free of morons like you and your "savior".

Take your church and cram it up your ass sideways, I can't wait until christfaggotry permanently dies out in the west and becomes the religion of imbecile third-worlders.