Collections

What historical items/artifacts do you collect? Looking to explore new kinds of collectibles / rarities that are historically significant. Bonus points if they are a) controversial and/or b) related to journalism/reporting.

I currently collect Confederate money, U.S. and ancient coins, various political memorabilia, and journalistic memorabilia. Not an enormous collection, but worth a little bit.

Pic: my newest acquisition - a press pass from the 1963 JFK Texas Welcome dinner that never happened due to Kennedy's assassination. (Pic is the shitty one from ebay, since it just came in the mail and haven't had time to take my own shots.)

I don't collect anything myself but that press pass alone is pretty fucking cool.

Thanks - just took a better pic of my own, hopefully a little better quality.

That's really interesting and unique, I would never have thought of collecting disposable documents like that!), I'd like to collect odd memorabilia, but as of now I only have a prussian bayonet from my grandfather.

> I only have a Prussian bayonet

Don't sell yourself short - that sounds awesome. Pic? I take it your grandfather was in some part of the Prussian military?

If there's interest, I can post other parts of my collection.

Do it.

Okay, starting with U.S. coins, ancient stuff, weird paper money, Confederate money? Y'all pick.

whatever you would say is the most peculiar an artifact, something that you don't see very often?

have a mean rock collection from when i was like 10

Okay, I'll start with some Iraqi money with Saddam's face all over it.

Haha nice

Pic: From the back

ah!

I actually have one of those as well! though I can't seem to now find it in my desk drawer

Nice!

Probably the most unique thing, besides the press pass, that I have is this guy. It's a high-grade silver dollar minted in 2001. After 9/11, the giant vaults underneath the towers were evacuated. This is one of the 2001 silver dollars that was in those vaults when the planes hit.

And from the back

Next up is either:

a) some Confederate bills

b) a Colonial Connecticut shilling note

c) a 16th century Hungarian denar

d) more U.S. coinage

The denar

And the back

So do you get most of this stuff off ebay?

Yes, though a few things I've gotten from other collectors / offline businesses.

A lot of the political stuff, like newspapers etc. I buy in person.

>in person
Like at conventions? Or if not how do you coordinate it? And how do you know that what you're buying is going to be properly verified/certified? Sorry for peppering you with questions.

Not really much of a collector, but I do have two Soviet related things. This is a Brezhnev era 7th grade history textbook.

And a Guards Army badge. Doesn't look like it has aged much, so its probably some time before the USSR collapsed.

Neat - would love to thumb through that.

I've been to a few numismatic conventions. I also like looking around at flea markets. Impossible to verify at flea markets, but sometimes you can snag something legit that the vendor doesn't realize is unique.

In terms of verification of money and certain paper items (such as the pass), I rely on certification slabs from reputable companies (PCGS, PMG, and NGC).

And no worries about the questions - keep 'em coming. I'm happy to answer any and all questions. I should add that I do this stuff as a hobby, so I'm not going to be as knowledgable as a professional/vendor. But I'll answer anything I can.

My father has one of these from a trip to the USSR in the late 80's. Yours is in much better condition, though. Very cool.

So what should I post next?

I guess I should start by scoping out flea markets. I'm somewhat interested in starting collecting, with a focus on American political campaign memorabilia.

Post the Confederate bills.

I can scan a few pages if anyone's interested.

Is that the fancy ass serf on the top right of the cover???

Will do in a few. And I'd start just searching around online for a good guide that can help you determine what's authentic.

Okay, so I have two $100 bills. They're technically bonds, since they paid interest to the bearer and were only redeemable for their stated value "six months after the ratification of a peace treaty between the CSA and the United States."

1/Front

You'll notice that this one shows stamps indicating that the bearer cashed out their annual interest (2 cents per day) at least three years worth.

1/Back

The second one is significantly lower quality, but is one of the only U.S.-based currency types to feature enslaved people at work.

2/Front

This one is unstamped, but clearly someone's signature is on the back. Unclear if this means they cashed out annual interest or if it was endorsed to another person.

2/Back

These are two of the same $5 bills, but one is nearly mint condition while one is thoroughly degraded. I like this because it allows comparison and to show the bills' aging process. You'll notice that on the front (shown) there is a red dye, while on the back (coming up next) they use blue. This was to prevent counterfeit bills.

This it the back of the $5 bills (again, note the blue ink).

Should I keep posting? I have a few more and some miscellaneous stuff, along with the coins.

i don't know if you're still here user, but please do.

OP here. Any interest in the rest of the collection? If not, no worries.

Otherwise, share your collections here.