What tips do you have for someone who is about to start gym? (yes, i've read the sticky)

What tips do you have for someone who is about to start gym? (yes, i've read the sticky)

Other urls found in this thread:

newbie-fitness.blogspot.pt/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GzxRhtZLItY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1. the only time people will laugh at you in the gym is if you dont come back
2. if you dont know how to use something, ask someone instead of ending up on a cringe compilation
3.FUCKING EAT
4. unrack shit

1. tip the receptionist
2. tip the receptionist
3. tip the fucking receptionist

The training plans that the sticky recommends are good?

>kek

yes

having a strength base is important because it will help you get bigger faster than if you didnt have a strength base

The locker room signs are merely a suggestion. In reality, men and women can go in either one. No one will care so long as you don't stare at anyone.

I legitimately said this last time at the gym, holy shit.

You'll lose a lot of motivation at about the 2 week mark. Just push through it.

You'll lose motivation 3 months in. Just push through it.

When you're in the crash, don't give up, and stay in the habit of going to gym. If you really, really don't have the motivation to lift, still make yourself go to the gym and do your usual program with half the weight you normally would.

Follow the advice you read in the sticky and find a fitness board where you can proudly post your gains that is not a shithole like this one is.

The sticky is good but the morale here is crap and the support is bad.

>You'll lose motivation 3 months in.
I have been running for and this literally happened to me.

we don't tip in our country kek

The main thing to remember is that you should give people advice concerning their lifts whenever you go to the gym. This is just common courtesy, and is a good icebreaker.

Always bring extra quarters for the squat rack so that you don't run out in the middle of your set. It's also nice to leave some time on it if there is a grill lifting after you do.

newbie-fitness.blogspot.pt/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html

is this any good?

Do starting strength or any other generic beginner powerlifting program. You're going to want to quit when you don't see instant improvements in how you look but if you focus on improving strength, and your numbers you're going to get the instant gratification that will make you want to continue, and your body will improve.

The most important thing to remember is to take each of the weights off each end of the barbell at the same time. This way the one heavier side won't fling the lighter side into the air. You may need to ask someone to help you, but it's ok, it's expected.

I wish someone would have told me this when I first started.

WUT

You may be tempted to rerack your weights, but all the strong guys will respect you a lot more if you don't.

if you take off one side of the weights before the other, the lighter side of the bar goes flinging in the air. science.

Just put it on the ground. Or on those safety things.

Don't use the squat bar to deadlift, or else you'll probably hurt yourself and look like a retard besides.

People weren't lying when they said diet was 90% of the work.

This is true.

You're going to have to cut down on alcohol too.

i don't drink, but i smoke hash, is it "ok"?

Rerack your goddamn weights.

Form >>> weight. Do NOT use a heavier weight with shit form (particularly shitters that do standing bicep curls and chicken wing their arm out). It's not helping anyone and you just look retarded.

Rest properly in between sets.

Machines are 99% of the time shit, the only common exception being triceps pulldowns and lat pulldowns (from what I know)

Please don't curl in a squat or power rack. For fucks sake.

Make sure you use your squat plug when you squat. If not your form will be shit

>lat pulldowns
Pull ups are better anyways

I smoke weed and cigarettes every day

SS + JOPBAD

>curl in a squat or power rack.
what?

i'm not a native english speaker and i dont know any jargon

>The sticky is good but the morale here is crap and the support is bad.

what? hell no, you'll find the best advice here since people can be 100% honest and is NOT trying to sell you something or make you join their cult

pic related

do not do biceps curls where someone can squat

youtube.com/watch?v=GzxRhtZLItY

dont do ARMS on those cubic metal things, those are for lifts that genuinely require the bar to land if you fail a rep (squats and OHP mostly)

Won't hurt gains (I've heard).

Can have long-term psychological effects.

Quarters?

... I don't know about that. Some people on here are pretty fucked up and think nothing of giving out advice that could cause injury or death for the lulz. Sure, you have to be somewhat savvy and not gullible, but sadly some people are just that kind of vulnerable and easy targets for those fuckers.

Annonimity empowers those scummy fuckwits to act without consequences.

Or Euros if not in burgerland

Actually read the sticky. It is almost the same as reading the sticky but it takes a little longer.

Wtf so you have to put in coins to use the arcade squat rack?

1) Everyone starts out at the bottom, you will be weak to start, but eventually you will get strong.

2) You won't notice any real results in strength until 1 month

3) Never think that you have stopped going to the gym, you are either on a short break or just missed a day. The gym must become a routine and ritual. If you quit in your mind you will never make it. People who quit the gym never get fit.

4) Make sure you are doing things you like. There are 0 people who work out that have run exclusively on a treadmill for years. Shit is boring and if that is all you do you will drop out quick.

5) Sub to fitness youtube channels, read Veeky Forums, etc. You need to have your mind in the game and always learning.

I have been lifting for 2.5 years, it is the single most enjoyable thing I do in my life. Throughout the entire day I am looking forward lifting or swimming. Working out is a transformitive activity if you let it.

True talk here m8. Have experienced this too many times and slacked off. Push through the demotivated stages and you'll feel so much better for sticking with it.

Why not both m8

Double edged sword innit? That the unmitigated free flow of information eventually distills the truth is a fact, I've seen it time and again on the chans, but it's predicated on the action (or in this case, inaction) of the community that engages in that flow. With great power comes great responsibility, and I hold the strongest conviction that this format of communication will have a greater impact on mankind than the printing press, so long as we don't let it fall to stupid ass memes (hard to believe that /pol/ used to be something good, but it's true, and the same principles hold for every board).

There are nuggets of good advice here, I agree with the power of anonymity too but the shitposting signal to noise ratio is very high. A beginner would do better to focus on their routines and menus at first and progress posting somewhere else than here.
Since no one truly escapes the ch0n, I was just advocating having another place to be able to post progress where there is also accountability.
Both have value. But no arguing that this forum is more like junk food, best limited.

wut?

No, its for the plate dispenser.

>(hard to believe that /pol/ used to be something good, but it's true
kek, i am a regular /pol/ tripfag

cos I get too tired after the pull ups. Maybe I could superset with the pulldowns

that's why you live in the 3rd world

*After pull ups, bent over and seated rows

Pretty straightforward advice m8. Not sure what's confusing about it.

saw a guy curling just the bar in a power rack today. thought this was just a meme until now

Whats so different about a squat bar and a bar to deadlift?

This

The deadlift bar is about 6'' longer. At most gyms you have to ask for it at the front desk.

There is no difference

Please tell me you haven't been deadlifting with the squat bar. You can seriously snap you shit up doing that.

how tho

I managed to get here after 3 months of routine training then just stopped.
After losing 8lbs now I'm finally starting back up. I'm not sure exactly why I stopped but definitely going to try and push through it this time

the squat bar puts excessive shear force on your lumbar spine. tons of guys think that the squat bar is fine to use because it looks so similar to the deadlift bar, but they make separate bars for a reason.

Takin the bait bro. Stop.

Don't drink cold water while you're lifting or you could get serious cramps. Room temp is ok, but lukewarm is preferred.

This guy is right
This guy is making a joke. Have you read the actual Starting Strength book?

OP you're getting trolled, read the sticky and find the part about the real diddly bar

if you seriously try to diddle outside of the perfect form by using the squat bar like a retard you're going to rip all the skin off your knees and snap the fuck out of your back

Weed will help your cns recover

>DYEL detected
>DYEL never drilled deadlift form
I'd bet you tried to squat 2pl8 your first time after warming up with the bar.

only posts that arent b8 m8. stick to these and not the others.

the only time people will laugh at you in the gym is if you dont come back

LMAO. Do gymcels REALLY believe this? Trust me OP, if you enter my gym when I'm making actual gains with my bros and you can't even bench lmao1pl8 we WILL laugh at you.

>Asshole beta who started going to the gym 3 months ago

>i'm so strong everyone weaker than me is to be laughed at

pls be bait, you're the kind of person who thinks punching an old lady is an alpha thing to do.

5x10 minimum on all exercises,drop weight little bit if cannot complete set, time will turn flab into meat

OP here, i'm new to gym but not new to Veeky Forums

If the bitch has it coming you're Damn right it's alpha.