This happened today

This happened today

>see some dumb bitch training with her friend doing pic related BUT pulling the bar behind her neck
>I remember reading the machine days earlier how you should only do it like pic related or pulling while leaning back
>I approach her and tell her this, that she's not supposed to pull behind her neck
>she says "uh thanks", continues doing the exercise the wrong way, like i didn't said shit to her

Normally I don't give a shit of other ppls lifts or form but today i said eh what the heck. Stupid bitch.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cQ_8y39XnEo?t=158
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You ever consider her shoulders have a healthy range of motion and can externally rotate that far back? Your average gym goer most likely has shit posture and would probably snap their shit up attempting this. But those who don't have excessive kyphosis, internal rotation etc probably will have minimum risks doing such a movement as your described.

But I'm sure a copy of mark rippetoes SS covers that.

You're probably right but I guess there's a reason even the machine instructions discourages pulling behind the neck, plus I guess the exercise is worthless when doing it like that.

Pulling behind the neck is not wrong, but from the front works the back better

Unsolicited advice given by a rando in the gym = creeper.

youtu.be/cQ_8y39XnEo?t=158

Look at this guy @2:38... you should probably send him a comment

>"Honest question: Why do you pull behind your head? I always thought you were meant to keep the bar in front of you"

It's not that fucking hard to start a conversation AND outline your concern without sounding like an autist

Yeah, one of the reasons I decided against giving a girl at the gym advice a few weeks ago. She was doing OHP with babby weights, but she was pushing the weight up with her knees instead of just arms and shoulders (kind of like a bounce to get the weight up). I wanted to tell her she's doing it wrong, but I'm a fat fuck at the moment so I knew it wouldn't be listened to, so I just kept on going.

You're a fucking idiot and shouldn't be giving out advice.

Her form was fine; she was doing a different exercise. Behind the neck is totally legitimate for people with basic mobility.

Both of those girls now forever thinks you're creepy weird and annoying peace

This just gets better and better. That's called a push press. People do them on certain days of their routine, or when they can't do any more strict press.

Seriously. user. Stop fucking giving advice. Don't even consider it. You aren't helping. Until you're fit, nobody cares, and your advice is wrong anyway.

Im not even that guy but that shit is literally a meme

Reminds me of the time I saw some fat dude load up almost 200 lbs on a barbell, put it ON HIS BACK, and then immediately fall down. I was sure he was going to break something, but miraculously he was able to stand back up and put the weight back. I walked up to him, told him "You should lift with your muscles instead of your ego if you don't want to destroy either of them", then turned 360 degrees and walked away.

OP here, yeah i get it, i fucked up and learned my lesson, i will never ever give advice even if the other person is about to kill herself from bad form.

Chuckled

You can still give advice you moron
It's about phrasing it in a way that doesn't make the other person put up defensive walls and instantly dismiss you

Gym normies are sensitive, you gotta be kinder somehow

>360 degrees
>away

Because gym girls are three types:
>Stupid and Sexy
>dumb and fat
>sexy and smart

The last one is a 1% minority

Shut up, faggot. Don't bother people in the gym.

Because doing another variation of the exercise is going to kill her. What a fucking autist.
>hurr durr deh machine said its wrong form
>just trying to help

You are not helping. Had she been doing deadlifts with a rounded back then it would have been a totally different story, but behind the neck pulldown? Fuck off.

Ehhhh... Someone must have told her about pic related. It's not really bad if you use babby weights

Welp my bad

push pressing and slowing the negative has helped me break through stalling OHP.
kek

it's because you are a skinny dyel. Nobody gives a fuck to your genuine advice.

i've seen a shit tonne of people do it that way its not a rare sight

its not good puling behind the neck is not a natural motion that humans have been evolved to do and loading that up with strain is a recipe for a fucked up shoulder.

Even if you're in good shape, your face must be a 4 at best and you suck at talking to people.

Pretty much nothing we do at the gym is a natural motion. The question is whether or not its likely to be injurious.

For people with sufficient shoulder mobility behind-the-neck pressing and pulling isn't an issue. That just isn't most people these days.

>nothing we do at the gym is a natural motion
squatting

i don't understand how it is the year 2016 and people are still falling for this

how is squatting with squat form a natural motion? I don't think I have ever seen someone squat in my life (except asian monkeys on the ground).
Deadlifting is more useful

Have you ever seen a baby?

Be more attractive next time

you're fucking retarded. the machine instructions discourages it for the same reason a doctor would discourage someone from doing SS or SL -- the average moron would snap their shit

A few weeks ago i saw a girl doing this machine wrong. I didn't even thought of showing her how it is supposed to be done, because i knew i would look like a creep and she wouldn't listen anyways. A few moments later the trainer walked in and saw her doing it wrong. He showed her how to do it and they talked for at least 15 minutes.

So, i guess unless you work there or look like you are lifting for several years, nobody would give a fick what you think.

People go to the gym to work out and be left the fuck alone. Keep your unsolicited, uninformed, smug opinions to your fucking self, fuccboi.

I tell people their form is wrong or how to do exercises all the time OP. I always use scientific sounding terms so they usually take my advice even though I'm DYEL and have no idea what i'm doing

>mfw i see internet gurus who are wrong try to talk to people in the gym and 'help' them

KYS famalamadingdongpingpongs

Have you ever seen a baby with 150 kg barbell on the back?

Are you a baby?

You can probably do it when it's actually bad form and not a good mobility exercise for more advanced trainees.

>So much autistic bait

Ronnie Coleman did them behind the neck for biceps and it legit kills the peaks if you do it right.

this is such a retarded post. Almost everything you do is natural movement,

>op cringes once again

No, you don't get it. How long have you been lifting, man? A relatively short time?

The issue is that their form wasn't as bad as you think it was. It wasn't going to hurt them. But you didn't know that, because you only just started lifting. That's fine. We all started somewhere. But browsing Veeky Forums isn't a license to "correct" people.

Don't. Give out. Advice.

Wait until you're fit yourself, then you can give out all the shitty advice you want. Until then, you're just that stereotypical creepy neckbeard in the gym trying to give people unwarranted advice.

Okay

I never bother anybody unless I KNOW that they're going to injure themselves...

damn you a special white knighting, neck beard mutherfucker.

>coddling a bitch when she's clearly doing it wrong

maybe if you stop treating them like children they'll stop acting like one

lol damn theres more than one... is this the DYEL hour?

I cant believe how many people fell for this b8

its not really..

:/ bad form?!??! brah

IIRC Athlean X discorages that kind of motion because you will tear a cartilage in the long run

I also push press when I can't normal press anymore and slow the negative. It's not a meme, it works.

W-wait so you're not supposed to do pic related?

That's literally what the gym PT told me to do with lat pulldowns.

this guy gets it..

Wish you would say shit to me you getting cussed out.

kek no

No, it's perfectly fine to give advice.
Just don't assert something strongly if you're not sure about it.
You could've just asked
>Hey, doesn't pulling the bar behind your neck put strain on your shoulders?

You get less range of motion when you pull it behind your neck.

Unless you have the right shoulder structure for it and you have great mobility and you can stabilize it and do it controlled, just stick to normal lat pulldowns.

it's a different exercise you stupid autist you should never go back to your gym again

she wasn't doing it wrong, this board is full of people who don't even lift giving out advice

behind the neck lat pulldowns aren't the norm.

i think it helps people to retract their scapula. it'll just involve your rhomboids more. probably do even less for your lats than cable pulldowns already do.

if your infraspinatus is strong this is is safe but still less effective

if your infraspinatus isnt strong (most people have a weak one) this can be cataclysmic for your rotator cuff

source: I am an Spt

Same as men in the gym

yeah if you don't know how to retract your scap this can be good to do 1-4 VERY SLOW, LIGHT reps on to familiarize yourself with the feeling
of retraction so you can do it yourself during the actual sets

>i think it helps people to retract their scapula

So if I have a protracted scapula should I keep doing it?

There are exercises that make your muscles grow but that are harmful for you body

No, having strong rotator cuff muscles doesn't garantuee this to be a safe loaded movement.

No, horizontal rows are way better for practicing retraction.

Rippetoe addresses only behind the neck presses and what he says is that it would be a good exercise but it is dangerous to use enough weight for it to do the good.

Don't sweat it man, Veeky Forums told me not to correct someone deadlifting with as rounded back as is physically possible. You were worried about them, no harm is done telling them they maybe should do it otherwise

Exactly this.
The key is to stay polite and try to ask questions instead of telling people off.

na you need to, just don't go overboard

this week some guy came up and told me to put clips on the bar, and place it lower so I don't struggle putting the bar back while squatting

current fatass here really appreciate any advice especially when I need to be corrected.

so far no one has corrected me on dead lifts so hopefully im doing them right

Don't worry OP, I'm with you.

Meme

Hell, never give out advice even then. Even when you're jacked, the only response people give is going to be some variation of

>I'm not trying to get too big
>That's not what MY trainer says (implying they have one)
>Yeah but I don't think that's how it works

It doesn't even matter if you just finished repping lmao2plt and the person next to you is being crushed under the bar. Only 5% of people are actually self-confident enough to TAKE lifting advice when offered. Maybe I'm biased because the 5'3" 300 lb female "licensed nutritionist" who I work with constantly rips on my diet and I have to stay quiet so I don't end up in HR.