What could have Europeans done to lessen the extent and casualties of the Black Death?

What could have Europeans done to lessen the extent and casualties of the Black Death?

Get out of the fucking cities

Full lockdown like Milan did.

Stopped trade

Okay, that is obvious. But if there are confirmed death cases in my city - what do I do?

Evacuate? Hunt down the rats, mandatory hygiene procedures?

Imagine yourself being a Byzantine Emperor in 1347.

built a wall from urals to mesopotamia

>Copenhagen in Pomerania
>Paris not actually in Ile de France, but stretches all the way through Switzerland
>that Turkey and Africa
Triggered

Mandatory hygienic procedures, all old hay ought to be burned, clothes heavily soaked and cleaned, Always wear leather gloves when dealing with items. Also some kind of filter for the mouth AS certain types of plague spread through air.

At the time is nothing you could do, just evacuate close cities and quarantine the shit one.

More extreme and effective quarantining was pretty much the only thing that could have been done - medical knowledge was a total shitshow back then so there really wasn't any other way to improve things.

Why was Warsaw spared?

Nothing much. They had no effective way to treat it and the only thing they could do would be to postpone the disease to a later date. There was an outbreak of the black death in Moscow in 1771, and even today it kills people in Madagascar.

>that city placement, especially Copenhagen
>Warsaw marked as if it was a significant city at the time instead of a newly founded small town

instead of burning cats, recruit them

It didn't exist back then.

Why mention Toledo and not Barcelona which was the truly damaged city in actual Spain? Castila wasn't nearly as fucked as Aragon

Why is it that in the stats Poland is always relatively untouched?

Casimir the Great + hygiene and cats.

The plague spread primarily by sea going clockwise around Europe through the Mediterranean, up north through the Atlantic, then east through the North Sea and the Baltic last. Poland's main trade routes were north up the Vistula towards the Baltic through Danzig, with the southern border of Poland being well separated from Southern Europe due to the Carpathians.

So basically they've had plenty of forewarning as theirs was among the last lands reached by the plague, their main trade route was easily controlled, and they've happened to have competent leadership at the time for one of very few times in their history.

Whoa I didn't even know any polish kings got that epithet. I'm going to read about him now. In regards to cats was there just not an excessive superstition about them like in western europe?

>Whoa I didn't even know any polish kings got that epithet.
He's the only one desu.
>In regards to cats was there just not an excessive superstition about them like in western europe?
Can't say for sure, but since there were so many cats to hunt the rats. I'd say they were tolerated.

This board is so much nicer and useful than other ones thanks guys

>This board is so much nicer and useful than other ones thanks guys
you poor virgin

kill the jews

Lol well there's the Veeky Forums I know and love

2 posts later
never change Veeky Forums

And make the rats (or marmots) pay for it?

1. Why would BLACK death harm BLACK warrior?
2. And even if we weren't black we still would be saved through hygiene and respect of animals like cats because we aren't barbaric like westerners who killed them for no reason.

why do you think poland was unharmed

read what i wrote above you retarded wh*tey
we aren't degenerates like westerners who would wash their hands once a week and we had no primitive witch hunts killing cats

We wuz winged hussars n shit

Quarantine, closing borders; burning dead.

Nobody knew or could know the cause, so they were fucked anyways.

Wash themselves

Taken a bath

Spread diatomaceous earth everywhere to prevent the fleas from spreading.

Encourage cats.

Wouldnt cats just increase the amount of fleas?

It was a sleepy hollow. Kraków was the capital.

Poland was largely unaffected thanks to quarantine at the borders.

Stop being eurocentric.

What could West Asians and North Africans have done to lessen the extent and casualties of the Black Death, Veeky Forums?

It has absolutely nothing to do with corporal hygiene. Fleas don't give a shit if you're clean.

Fuck off.