What is the biggest mistake you have made in your lifting career?

What is the biggest mistake you have made in your lifting career?

>thought deadlifts were pointless for 2 years of lifting
>thought strength = size

1RM doesn't = size but strength training does increase size. Usually sets of 5

after high school wrestling i probably ate like at a 2k cal surplus most days. i had (and still presently have) some serious issues with soda. i convinced myself the fat gain was mostly muscle because i was on sl 5x5

Tried to catch the bar while dropping a deadlift.
I had my hands on it but it was pretty much free falling when my brain snapped and I yanked the bar up.

Not eating enough
Not being consistent due to injuries
Listening too much to retarded peoples retarded opinions

Left all of these behind now. Making mad gains

Do what you really want do

squats

everytime I try to do them someone corrects me and says I was doing them wrong

but each time I am corrected i forget the next day and I have spent several hours watching how to squat videos and still get corrected by others at the gym

so I dont do squats anymore but really want to

>I didn't eat enough

Working on my legs was somehow not needed
Trying to mimic the squat form of other people when it hurt my back and legs was okay because that means I'm getting better at it somehow.
Calisthenics were inferior to lifting
To work on show muscles and neglect my back.
Running for distance was not needed.
Eating everything in site was okay because it fed my muscles
That I could be as big as the bodybuilders if I keep it up just because I had almost 19 inch arms and a 54 inch chest as a natural and thought rest was just me being lazy and indulgent.

Fuck off roid freak

thinking that one routine would be objectively the best indefinitely, and never tried to change things up, even when stalling

Not doing ab exercises.

Fell for the fucking "compound exercises are enough for abs"-meme

used to take 2 g high quality vitamin c after workout thinking it would kill cortisol...since then studies come out showing it kill gains.

Injuries are a pretty good reason to take some time off. I hurt my shoulder and had to take a little over a week off. No reason to hurt yourself just to pick shit up and put it down again.

>using machines and doing full body work + cardio without any program for 2 years

Deadlifts are pointless if you lift for aesthetics.

I started too heavy, trying to increase my 5, 4 or 3 rep max by lifting it every day when I should've been deloading every time I stalled.

>didn't tip receptionist for first year
>counted the weight of the bar
>neglected trap bar bench

That's what I thought too. Then I learned.

why the fuck would you tip the receptionist. fuck her or him. i'm there to lift not to give them money. the gym its not a fucking charity.

>did leg extensions
Knee was pretty much fubar for a month. Skipped leg day xDD

> Not doing legs

> Not realizing that carbs are what put on weight, not protein

fat ass nigguh

>Bulking while around 20% body fat
Wasted so much time. I was so fuckin fat. Currently down to around 12%, going down to 8 - 10% before I bulk. I'm gonna make it.

>repping 4pl8 squat alright
>coach tells me to add more
>everyone's having a grand time
>"more man you're killin it!"
>hype goes to my head
>415
>go down
>try to drive up but I'm going way too slow
>dipshit spotter isn't paying attention
>slowly fall forward onto my face onto a bench until they get the bar off of me
>everyone worried until they realize I'm not actually hurt at all
it was actually pretty funny after the initial "holy shit I'm about to pass out and die"
haven't done anything too crazy otherwise

ok so isn't this just exercising and not really that bad?

kek
>me too

>deadlifts
they are not pointless, by they fucking ruin physiques

>can rep 4plates
>can't do 415 for 1, a weight increase of 10lbs

are you baiting me

lol
I did something similar the other day

>push pressing
>tired but fuck it, go for one last rep
>get bar halfway up, but can't control descent
>lose my balance
>don't even think to let go of bar
>fall flat on my face while bar crashes to the ground

they usually get paid below minimum wage and depend on income from tips to put a roof over their head

nah
it was after the last set and I knew I was too tired to do anything else
it was pretty embarrassing honestly

W8 deadlifts aren't pointless?

>legit thought deadlifting 4 plates = 225 bench
>does not
>does not = upper body gains

Spent 2 years doing a brosplit with mainly dumbbells and machines, and not training my legs at all. Thanks Scooby.

Fell for the
>No direct ab work needed meme
>Deadlifts meme
>Dumbells superior to Barbell bench meme
>No cardio of any kind meme

> thought deadlifts were useful for the first 4 months

What made u realise they weren't?

lower the weight and focus on form, jesus christ

Got a girlfriend

>didnt fall for any memes or any trickerydoo

feels fucking good brehs

I fell for the "I'm a worthless piece of shit"
meme

Probably due to a lack of mobilising doing heavy weights

you didnt make any mistakes cheekie you're my perfect waifu

dumbells are superior to barbell bench

Dam son you are me to fuckin T.
Now doing 5/3/1 and ain't listening to noone getting mad gains

I fell for the 'misuse and overuse the word 'meme' until it becomes fucking meaningless' meme.

OH HERE WE GO.

>thought deadlifts were necessary
>thought no roidz=no gainz
>thought most of the roid monkeys are natty

Why aren't deadlifts necessary? Why do most novice programs have diddlys then?

Would do bench press without bringing the bar to my chest. My PR was such a lie.

>novice

Pretty much cause it's a good strength builder, but not required at ALL for aesthetics.

I wasted untold months on the shitty routines a gym trainer gave me (cable squat-to-row like what the fuck man). I then used that "knowledge" to make my own routines which resulted in losing a bit of body fat, and fuck all else.

I wasted like a year doing 90% accessory lifts. Feels so bad.

My biggest mistake was trying to buy a home gym for super cheap. I hate using the shit I've got compared to what's in the gym so I end up not lifting even though I just have to walk downstairs.

Not eating enough, making no gains
Eating too much, gaining fat
Cutting while not doing enough strength training, loosing gains
Starting BJJ and missing several months of gains due to injury

I guess I'm finally on the right track.

>I wasted like a year doing 90% accessory lifts.
Wew lad same here. The only compound I did was DB shoulder press. I never even thought about why I wasn't progressing or making gains

Same. Fuck PTs

Paying for a gym membership.

After I realized it was full of retards I saved the money and bought my own equipment mostly used and can workout when I want, how I want.

I'm making one right now, I have too much spaghetti to go to the gym so I've been doing bodyweight for the last six months on a pull up bar at home.

Went from 5'9" 120 to 5'10" 162, started eating and shit. Now really want to lift.

>super cheap
This was the mistake. There are some things you can't skimp on like the power cage, bench, and bar. People will either not know or lie about the weight rating on these and then you'll end up with shit with a 300 lb. user included tolerance.

But the weights themselves there's really no problem buying used if you're careful.

I still ended up saving money over time getting my own shit, not to mention not having to deal with all of the useless scum that populates my local gym.

modified 5/3/1 is fucking goat.

been running my custom version of it for 9 months

s/b/d/ohp from 365-430/275-300/450-510/140-180

What is 5/3/1?

Ignoring deadlift form for the first few months. Pulled 315 with almost straight legs. Didn't lift for a year after that, and now two years later I still have back pain and can't do any compound lifts or much of anything that puts weight on my spine. I don't even have money for a chiropractor

I can double 4pl8s but bench like 180 max :/

>not having secks
>weak core
>snapped my shit

the irony

Followed SS and assumed I never needed direct core work. On a whim I added a core day. The next week every one of my lifts went up by 30 lbs. That actually pissed me off a lot because I wasted so much time on plateaus not knowing why.

You're a fucking idiot.

Ive literally never heard of receptionist being paid in tips. Your gym is probably doing something illegal.

Google it and click the first link you lazy piece of shit.

Jim Wendler's 5-3-1, a good intermediate strength program.

traps, back, and forearms brah what kind of shit are you spewing

chiropractors are witch doctors practicing alternative med, only pay for a physical therapist

shit consistency
not tracking my lifts

I'm am currently falling for this meme and loving every minute of it

What I learned as important from my mistakes:

- nutrition as important as training
- not to lift for ego, form comes first
- long term gains come from smart injury prevention and management
- ignoring mobility and flexibility leads to injury
- learn the early warning signs of overtraining

i cut my hair

That's not a meme. You really are.

What are the early warning signs?

Started doing Creatine
Fucking biggest mistake right there
I should've stayed natty
Not people talk about that "roid freak" behind my back all the time

kys

Upping the weights too fast on the bench. As a result, broken rotator cuff and years of pain. Almost can't press or anything shoulders-related anymore...

>i convinced myself the fat gain was mostly muscle because i was on sl 5x5
Same except I did Rippetoes 5x5

Drinking beer everyday

I did deadlifts
pointless excersise

construction site?

he means 2 reps newfriend

Loved doing bicepcurls, helped anxiety when I was depressed
damaged my wrist, can't lift heavy shit now because they just give in and go limp from shocking pain

>>thought strength = size
I'm sorry how do you get stronger if not by muscle hypertrophy ? I'm just a simple med student who cannot wrap his mind around that nonsense you just spouted due to my physiology and histology training conditioning my mind around scientific facts and pulling me away from the secrets of meme magic.

You cis white male shitlord

>deadlift, squat, and bench on the smith machine
>nobody seemed to give a fuck
>realized I dun goofed 4 years later

did a 5 day split as a skelly

What's great about deadlifts for aesthetics?

I go to a gym that doesn't have a place to deadlift or the equipment unless I steal a bar off the bench press.

Proper strength training will result in an improvement in motor unit recruitment, along with myofibriliar hypertrophy.

The improvement in motor unit recruitment is initially quite rapid, but hits and pretty hard ceiling fairly quickly. Hence why it's often called "noob gains" around here. It's the reason a novice can go from 1playt to 3playt squat in a few months without becoming three times as large.

Morons around here believe that doing higher reps than strength training would ideally have you doing (8-12 reps per set, rather than 3-5 for pure strength) will have you looking all swole and shit like Zyzz, while pure strength training will have you looking like the Pillsbury Hoistboy. Which isn't ENTIRELY untrue, but the average Veeky Forums mark fails to realize that Zyzz, Tiny, every bodybuilder, every male fitness model, and pretty much everyone who looks "aesthetic" by Veeky Forums standards is on steroids in some capacity.

Training natty, effective strength training will make you bigger, stronger, and considerably less lean, while doing the "aesthetics" routines that pollute this place as a novice will generally keep you small, week, and as lean as you were when you started.

>>thought deadlifts were pointless for 2 years of lifting
but they are.

>while doing the "aesthetics" routines that pollute this place as a novice will generally keep you small, week, and as lean as you were when you started.

bingo

Your gym is shit. Standard deadlifts will grow hamstrings and glutes and erectors primarily, and will make your forearms somewhat bigger if you keep trying to deadlift heavier.

Though generally, the best thing about deadlifts for aesthetics is that they give you the work capacity via strength that helps with various back and posterior chain lifts that you can do for more volume that will stimulate growth.

Even if you're a bodybuilding fag, deadlifts should not be neglected.

Record yourself on your phone and study the video

I did this A LOT when I started SS and it was extremely helpful

You won't make strength gains anywhere near as fast on a bodybuilding program as you would a strength program. Dyel?

I feel like walking around doing heavy as fuck farmers walk do that just as well, maybe not tangentially hitting the glutes though.

issa meme

add more volume

Not eating enough (poorfag)
Not being able to go to the gym by myself (youngfag) so I would have to rely on my friend's older sister who didn't go consistently