Berlin Wall

So what was everyday life like living in East Germany before the inevitable collapse of the Berlin wall?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_sBxI5mb_eU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bumpiro

Best consumer goods in the Eastern Bloc, everyone had housing and a job and food. But also the Stasi was using everyone to spy on everyone and anyone not in the party got bullied a lot. So a very mixed bag. But at least they had the greatest national anthem of all time:
youtube.com/watch?v=_sBxI5mb_eU

It was horrible (communist)

Living under communism was hell for everyone. Its inhumane and against human nature.

I made an apprenticeship as a carpenter in the DDR. What was it like?
We have worked until we ran out of nails, then we had to wait for the next day in order to receive our daily amount of nails.

If it was such a great place then how come they had to build a wall to prevent people from escaping to Capitalist Berlin?

What was the food / standards of living like?

pretty shitty, considering all the jokes about east germany from the period.
How do you tell which side of the Berlin Wall you're on? Put a banana on top of the wall, the eastern side will have a bite taken out of it.

The standard of living was alright to be honest, the DDR wasn't like Romania, we didn't have many exotic fruits, but that wasn't a problem.

The main concern was the influence of the party. I was prevented from studying, because my father was an anarchist.

because "capitalist Berlin" was built on purpose like that, they baited naive young Germs on cool looking buildings while rest of the West Germany looked like Balkan.

I never said great, I said less shitty than you’d assume. The standard of living wasn’t what drove people out it was the political repression.

Is Good Bye, Lenin! way too deep into the Ostalgie or is it a decent portrayal?

W-WHAT THEY HAD NO BANANAS? IT MUSTVE BEEN HELL OVER THERE!!!!!!!

There were condoms on the pizza and no one could tell people apart from pigs

It was decent. No unemployment, viirtually no crime, no lgbt or other negro loving faggotry. The only shitty part was political repression, shouldve just let the people vote in sham elections every few years that dont really change shit, like in capitalist societies.

Bump!

East Germany can't really be compared to Maoist China/modern day DPRK.

Conditions were liveable, people were fed and employed and things generally functioned.

The west was just better though due to the STASI and overbearing government controls.

Because they were in a cold war?

backwards

which side would you pick, Veeky Forums?

The side that isn’t claiming consumerism, tropical fruit and objectification of women as its main selling points.

>the period where Germany actually defeated France, had it's largest borders and was technologically ahead of it's enemies is the lowest point

>wanting to be around grey people
I'll take my chances with the AIDS mouse dodging poz loads

The left, hookers, booze and consumerism are all really fun and enjoyable, contrary to what this faggotthinks.

No, the German Empire is second from the top user. Or are you seriously going to argue that the borders during the war they lost so hard a chunk of Germany became Poland count, because if so shove your Stahlhelm right up your ass.

>no safety net from capitalist exploitation
>unemployment
>homelessness
>wealth inequality
>social alienation
>high obesity, mental illness and racial tension
>promises every random dumb shit you can imagine

Kids like shiny keys.

Not as bad as western world trying to say it was.
Not as good as good as commies/those who were young during GDR are saying it was.

My dad was telling me, he was going to eastern germany to buy toothbrushes and jeans, just to sell them back in my country, as a small funfact

A question for DDR user. Was incompetence rampant in jobs? The whole "people know they can't get fired thing" you hear so much about in the eastern bloc.

Enjoy driving humanity to extinction with your hedonism

enjoy being a miserable piece of shit that no one cares about anyway.

you will lay on your fucking deathbed, full of regrets. a typical average piece of fucking shit that never acomplished what he truly wanted. life full of regrets and "what ifs"

now get the fuck out, out of my sight before you poison me with your incelness.

Having a sense of decency is not the same as being a huge loser but you cannot seem to comprehend that.

My parents are from East Berlin. I live in Canada. I think life was not good compared to life in the west

We're discussing their height not their downfall

>I can't be happy without my opiates!!!

>youtube.com/watch?v=_sBxI5mb_eU
I can't believe I had to use a vpn to watch that lame shit... Most boring anthem ever.