Running for 500 meters

>running for 500 meters
>feel I'm going to die

How do I into running?
Breathing techniques and general tips would be appreciated.

same here, would like some tips for begginers

>Practise running for 3 months
>Did some exercise to strenghen the core
>Still can't run 400 meters
I'm not even fat (5'11' 165lbs), how do you do this shit?

Couch to 5k bro
I started that before I started lifting when I was completely out of shape. pretty good start

start off slower, that is all.

Run slow enough to have a casual conversation. The speed at which you can do this increases over months of practice.

start off slower, otherwise you run out of steam early and either cut the run short or feel like shit for the whole thing, turning running into a chore.

I used the recumbent bike until I was down to 250lbs. Now I'm doing c25k and it hasn't been bad yet.

How fast are you running ?

Pretty fast :sonic

What's your definition of fast?

OP here, I don't know how fast I run desu, but I gef exhausted quickly.

Run 4 min
Walk 2 min
Repeat

Once you get bored a month later mix it up
4 2 5 1 4 2
5 1 4 2 5 1
5 1 5 1 4 2
4 2 4 2 5 1

In about 2 months you are running for 30 minutes without too much effort

Then experiment doing HIIT here and there

How about breathing?
How frequently should I run? Morning and evening? Or is it an overkill?

I've started this:
Run or walk as fast as feels correct in the moment. Do this for an hour every couple of days.
Seems to work okay.
I end up alternating between jogging, speed walking and sprinting, and I'm on a dopamine high afterwards.
It only sucks for the first five mins.

Every other day
Breathing is a matter of pace
You need to find an intensity that lets you enjoy the run
Breath deep: the key is getting as much oxygen as possible on every inhale, and not breathing faster

>as feels correct in the moment

Wouldn't it be better to breath from the mouth then?
How about posture?
Got a pic or something I can use as a reference?
Also what's HIIT?

What's good for HIIT shit? 30s sprint 60s walks until I'm spent? Is there a progression table?

> (You)
>Wouldn't it be better to breath from the mouth then?
No
>How about posture?
Pose running is the best way if you plan on doing it seriously
>Got a pic or something I can use as a reference?
Search on YouTube, plenty of vids on pose running
>Also what's HIIT?
High intensity interval training... Basically speed work, really fun but prone to injuries, so i suggest to first have a solid foundation

>tfw can only sometimes get a runners high after sprints

That said, I love sprints and hate jogging.

Also, how the fuck do you not heel strike? If I strike with the middle of the foot, I get tired REALLY quickly and my joints ache.

Sounds good but it is really easy to overkill
If your lower back starts to ache after 4-5 sessions, you are overdoing it

Lower you center of gravity a little bit to the ground, basically your ass

Depends when you "sprint" do you want to actually sprint or just run kinda fast?

You're meant to strike with the front of your foot, look at a pair of spikes, they are designed to make you strike the floor with the front half of your foot.
Anyway sprints are meant to make you tired quickly.

Also what are you sprinting on? Never a good idea to sprint on pavements or anything rock solid

I get tired jogging with front foot striking, not just sprinting. I can heel strike for a long time.

Concrete and some rubbery hard pavement. Hard shit basically. I have no where else to run, besides maybe dirt roads.

this famalam
I got from 700m max to 5k twice a week using that routine.

I don't get it, care to explain please?

>it's the current year
>still breathing
>not being undead masterrace

Never ever making it.

>2014+2
>not breathing, having gills and doing photosynthesis at the same time

Never gonna make it.

couchto5k
best thing ever. expect to lose lifting gains though.

also try relaxing. i find that i can go longer if i relax. if im too tense i burn out earlier.

also breathe with your diaphragm, i.e. abdominal breathing, as opposed to using your chest muscles, it takes less effort.

only issue is you have to also simultaneously contract your core to maintain good posture. but you find a good balance

ONE of those pay to subscribe things or an actual program available online?
I'm kinda stupid so please excuse me.
Got a link or something?

I use the ZenLabs app, C25k. It gives audio cues for when to switch between running and walking. The program pretty much follows this guide.

Also look it up in smartphone apps

>running
what are you, some kind of homo that cares about functionality and being healthy? ey, ey guys, ey guys look at this guy, he's so homo, with his running.

>Emi

don't remind me of a sad moment of my life

Is it really that good? How's your experience?

its a moblie app

only gripe is that its a 9 week program and if you stop you may drop back a few weeks worth of progress.

also its more endurance training, not actual interval training, which i would have liked more.

endurance is fine and all, but i prefer sprinting since it actually gives you good leg gains. *albiet at the higher risk of injury*

tips.

1. mid-foot strike

2. as you walk to recover, breath in with a relaxed stomach, pushing down your diaphragm as much as possible to expand lung capacity.

3. as you run, breath in through your mouth in a rythm that allows you to better concentrate on your motion, when you feel tired, inhale through your nose deeply and release, do this 1 or two times only, till you get tired again, then repeat. If you breath in through your nose too often you will get dizzy, if you do it for a long enough period of time you will feel euphoric and lose your balance.

4. posture, you should be leaning slightly forward when running, your face should be looking straight ahead, not up in the air or down to the floor, always straight, along with the slight tilt, this allows you to focus and breath better. Keep your arms L shaped at your sides and your thumbs pressing your pointer finger as you make a fist, then slightly swing your arms as you run, you should feel them increase your momentum.

5. pacing, pacing is extremely important, you should exercise for a short bit before running, and a lot if you plan to run far. You should start slow but steady, walking fast or jogging essentially, as you breath and condition your body for a faster pace.

6. recovery, see pic

None of what I've written is meant to be a professional guide, but personal experience mixed with research.

>arms in L shape, hands in a fist
>swing arms as you run

>uppercutting every cardiobunny that passes by me

the reason for this is simple, the contraction alone will give away the benefits. you should experience a slight impulse forward.

It's been great for me. Keep in mind, I have mild pectus excavatum so it's different for me. After week 4 or so, I wasn't able to keep up with the program and was getting winded too early, so I simply ran 1 or two miles in the two rest days at my own pace and this helped me keep up with the program again while always resting in the weekends. Right now I'm about to complete the 25 min jogs, while still doing runs in between

Google couch to 5k u little lazy cunt. I van tell ure not going to make it.

There is a thing in running called second breath, which is when your body starts becoming used to running after you run for about 500m. your breathing usually calms down after this point and it gets easier to run longer distances

Running is a shit tier exercise. Get a road bike, cycle instead. Easier on you, burns lots of calories implying you keep a speed average of at least 17-18 mph. 15-16 if you're a total n00b.

>implying cycling isn't an assisted sport

it's literally the most relaxing part of being a triathlete.

You literally just need to do couch to 5k.
Why force yourself?

Just keep pushing yourself.
Your body will be molded if you keep fighting though your wall.

Starting to run from out of shape is the worse. I'd recommend try to find some buddies and just stay with them longer than you thought you had to stop.

If you keep stopping when you think you have to, you're not improving

There are no /intorunning/ cheats. Just keep your head up and pump arms. Breathing is not that important as long as you can get air into your lungs. Just keep plugging away. It sounds like you just need to improve your stamina.

btw. if you're uppercutting as you run, you're doing it wrong, should be throwing your hands forward.

try this to prove my point.

stand still leaning forward with arms to your side L shaped, doing nothing.

now stand still and swing and arm forward, if you slightly lose your balance, now you understand the benefits.

just imagine you're pulling a rope as you run, that is sort of the idea behind the posture. except you're contracting the action.

>Breathing is not important

just do couch to 5k. and try harder. I'll bet a million you're not trying hard enough.

Running is a the best carb burner idiot

Be a middle/high school cross country runner for 6 years 1 x f
Worked for me

What worked for you exactly?

Muh nigga

What was your PR? Did you get varsity?

kek'd

I wouldnt recommend running until you can jog for 1 hour straight.

When I run on treadmill I usually go with 8-10 km/h pace.

Dunno if it's slow (probably is) but I can feel it, and I can run over 2km that way.

Running a lot every day for 6 years have me a solid foundation for cardio that's helped me progress and maintain a decent level of cardio even though I'm a lifter now
23:17
I was fucking garbage at it the entire time, just really awful. I used to think it was my asthma but looking back it was 100% my lack of nutrition and hydration, I was mad skellymode. But at least it gave me a lot of experience with running and taught me how to get better

Beginners only need to focus on pace rather than speed.

You won't be able to run 2 miles if you try to run at full speed.

Like strength, endurance is just a matter of practice, pace yourself then slowly increase your speed.

Breath through your mouse and nose at the same time you get more air in faster.

My chest tightens when I run, am I going to die

>carb burner

I hope you mean calorie

I guess yeah but you do expend the glycogen in your body in order to do this.

If I dont have running shoes are hiking books the next best thing

No

can anyone help me with my lower back pain when im running?

??/?

Breathe in through the nose, and out through your mouth. I have found this to be my optimal breathing procedure. Try it out

how to deal with shin splints?

Just go fucking run, man jesus christ.

Run fast then rest then run again until you feel better. Get like 2 miles in, you'll get better over a couple of weeks.