Antiques

Does Veeky Forums collect or trade antiques? What are your most valuable?

Your mom's pussy

Antiques should be at least 100 years or older. OP's mom's pussy would be vintage, not antique.

I collect some antiques (and vintage pieces) but nothing particularly valuable on its own.

I have a stack of 1814-1830 French royal proclamations that would have been sent en masse to various districts to be tacked up in public and read aloud. I can get them for about $4-6 each, and most of that is shipping.

I collect vintage and antique postcards, along with vintage and antique advertisements, art prints and sometimes book plates. I really like these French postcards where they had actors and actresses dress up as various historical figures. Jeanne d'Arc is the most popular subject but generic 18th century scenes are common too. There's one series I'm slowly collecting depicting Napoleon's family life.

Probably the most valuable, and that's not saying much, are some pages from a circa 1820s book detailing new fashions which included some contemporary fashion scraps pasted in. I haven't seen single pages up on ebay since I bought them, but I paid about $30 per page a few years ago

Image not my scans, but I have the 2 cards on the right.

if you're vaguely interested in antique collection, this book was pretty interesting, especially in regards to the politics of flea markets and the sometimes shocking low prices of antique pieces.

My great great grandfathers violin, but I've never had it appraised. I wouldn't sell it no matter what it's worth.

What if it was worth 10 million dollars

No.
Matter.
What.

My great great grandfather played on it, my great grandfather played on it, my grandfather played on it (my dad didn't though), I play on it and my children will in the future.

Oldest thing I possess is a model 1886 winchester .33 WCF version.

what if they gave you the 10 million dollars and you got to keep the violin

that's really cool user, do you know when it was made?

When I was a kid once my family went to have a walk in the countryside. We stopped to eat lunch in a forest. There were old stone walls between the trees.
I was looking around and found a Louis XV coin on the ground.

It is my most prized historical object. My only one too, but still.

That was a great book, I took it out of the library a few years ago. It also had the least fitting cover of all time, what the hell

I have a parallel ruler that my grandad gave to me that his grandad gave to him that I'm supposed to give to my grandson.

Don't collect antique furniture, it's been declining in price for decades and has lost two-thirds of its value since 2001 alone

For a while I liked to follow big money art auctions. That's how I've gotten familiar with a lot of the original modern artists even though I've never studied them. Of course I don't have any of that expensive shit though.

I have a violin too that was my great grandfathers. It's one of those funny Stradivarius knockoffs. It needs to be fixed up some since the enamel has fallen off, but it's still alright.

Yeah, the cover is... weird as hell. I was expecting a very different type of book based on the pretentiousness of the cover.

The paperback edition had a great and actually fitting cover though

What a difference a cover makes. The strange cover is why I put off checking it out for so long, if that had been the cover I would have read it sooner.

I always think about this book now when I see random small objects in museums... like Civil War era marbles. A dollar a pop!

Well, okay, if I got 10 million for free I wouldn't say no
Sometime between 1900 and 1910 I've heard.

My parents have a photo of Che Guevara's severed hands along with a note written by Felix Rodriguez, a CIA operative who helped to track him down in Bolivia. Rodriguez sent the photo with the note to a guy who had once known Che and the Castro brothers when they were in Mexico. That guy is a family friend and he insisted my mom keep the photo as a historical artifact.

I have a ww1 uniform and luger. Pretty nice condition. Other random shit I've picked up.

I'm a detectorist, so I found coins from all eras, some militaria, old religious items and a lot of rubbish.

I just got a metal detector, never used one before.
It's a Garret, hope it works good.

I collect mainly old tins and paper things, generally i can only find things from 1900-1930 that are in my price range so that's what most of my collection is comprised of. However, I have a powder flask from around 1857-1870 and a commemorative coin from 1886. It's a 200 year celebration of Providence, RI's founding. I'll post some pics of the best stuff if there's any interest. Hell, I might make a thread for it.

i'd like to see them