Why do UFC fighters rarely work on their pecs and obliques?

Why do UFC fighters rarely work on their pecs and obliques?

Even their abs aren't that hard.

Because they don't train for aesthetics.
/thread

But big named UFC fighters are celebrities appearing in front of a crowd of thousands.

Surely they would work on their aesthetics as well to look good for the cameras.

no they probably prioritise lifting to not get their face pulped and all their limbs snapped my friend, considering their aesthetics are already good from low bf% and they are already rich and famous

I don't know man.

A more defined pec and obliques would make the guy in the OP look much bigger and tougher.

>Even their abs aren't that hard.
They probably have a killer transverse abdominis.

that still won't help you win a fight

That's not going to help fuck up anyone. They're not bodybuilders.

i don't think the average person would be thinking / care about one particular "lacking" muscle group when they still look better than 95% of people

Less flabs.

Stronger chest, probably helps breathe better and use upper body strength better, can also take a few more hits.

they can't use roids since they get tested

they don't have a fucking chest day. everyday is fighting-specific-training-day. athletes who don't compete in weight lifting lifting weights is a fairly modern thing. not every sport is based mainly on lifting weights and gaining muscle, in fact most aren't.

ITT: Veeky Forums tries to athlete and fails

this

+weight is a big thing, if they get too bulk itd change their weight

No because that would push their weight up and most UFC fighters slide in just under the weight limit for their class. I'd rather win in the lightweight division with small pecs than get the shit beat out of me in the welterweight division but have an "aesthetic chest".

they do a shit ton of pushups and some light benching but its mostly explosive speed training

bodybuilders are slow

FUCK YOU SAY CUNT!?

lifting isn't as high on their list as cardio, sparring, and drilling techniques

it also means more weight -> new weight class
power and strength mostly comes from the hips and quads anyways

the athletes who lift generally have a wrestling background and are strong as fuck

Training pecs or obliques wont help you throw a punch or a kick as good as training back/leg/arm muscles

>but muh weight class

There's a few really jacked manlets who enter higher weight classes where most of the competitors are lanklets.

Think someone 5'6 at 155lbs with low bodyfat, that's actually really jacked for that height. The other lanklets in the same weight division will get wrestled easily, and the punches from the 5'6" guy would hurt way more.

They just have some height/reach advantage.

Why the fuck would back help you?

A punch is basically the same "pushing" motion as a bench press or push-up, which both use pecs.

You use your pecs when throwing a punch.

>Why the fuck would back help you?
Is this a joke question?

>A punch is basically the same "pushing" motion as a bench press or push-up
Oh, so you've never thrown an effective punch in your life okay

>posts picture of a man who tested positive for roids before and after his last fight.

A good example was the fight today with Woodley vs Thompson.

Woodley is a 5'9" and jacked fighting Thompson who is 6' and far skinnier. Thompson had speed but Woodley had the strength.

I must admit I was staring at Woodley's ass and thighs way too much during that fight. His quads are fucking massive. n-no homo.

He's pretty much Veeky Forumss idol.

>A punch is basically the same "pushing" motion as a bench press or push-up
lololololol pls leave

>Oh, so you've never thrown an effective punch in your life okay

But you have without using your chest muscles? Ok.

You said chest isn't important in a punch. That's retarded.

Not an argument. The primary upper-body muscles used in a punch would be the same ones involved in a bench press, primarily tricep/shoulders/chest.

Your bicep/back wouldn't do anything besides give more mass behind the punch.

>the athletes who lift generally have a wrestling background
This is a really odd and obviously wrong assertion to make.

Which is understandable. He's a monster with god-tier genetics.

You punch with your entire body, most power comes from your legs, which is why footwork and staying grounded is huge in combat sports

Height and reach advantage I pretty huge though. I fucking hate having to fight anyone more than a couple inches longer reach. You can't play the long game and if you have to accept that you're pretty much guaranteed to eat a few good strikes every time you go in