Gym Delusion

Maybe I'm just a hater, but who was it that convinced run-of-the-mill gym rats that they were somehow elite athletes? I go to a
powerlifting-oriented gym and the level of delusion and self-importance on display never fails to amaze me.

Guys will be wearing a squat suit, lifting belt, straps, and of course their ELITE MAX PERFORMANCE NUTRITION SUPPS shirt or whatever brand of bullshit non-FDA approved preworkout they chug before lifting an amount of weight that would get them laughed out of even the most casual powerlifting meet. How do you watch Eddie Hall lift 500 kgs and somehow think a 150 kg deadlift makes you a strength athlete?

And of course I understand that the fitness industry wants to push this narrative that you too can be a world class weightlifter if only you take their products, but how dumb does one have to be to actually believe this shit?

Blame crossfit mate. All thy do is convince average people they are elite. It's just filtering along the chain

But even in Crossfit does one not look at the top performers, who are actually pretty jacked, then look in the mirror and realize "Hey, I'm not anywhere close to that. Maybe I don't need $800 worth of gear to deadlift 315"?

I think it's hope. Most top performers, in any activity, give it their all and have to amp themselves up to surpass previous performances. These people are trying to capture that same greatness hoping if they believe and tried hard enough they'll achieve something worth while. Unfortunately this can lead to arrogance. If you keep telling yourself you're the best, eventually you'll believe it.

>wear golfer braces because I have golfers elbow
>Doing light skullcrushers
>Feel tryhard and self conscious even though I have weak joints

Delete this feeling

I know what you mean. I record all my squats because my mobility is still pretty poor and I want to make sure I'm not rounding my back when I hit depth.

That's the sole reason I do it but I know I look like some skinnyfat asshole who's gonna share his epic 1pl8 squat with his 11 Instagram followers.

dude there's no one who doesn't "deserve" to be at the gym. No one except the most hardcore assholes thinks ill of people who actually go and put in an effort

They need gear, just a different type of gear

>but who was it that convinced run-of-the-mill gym rats that they were somehow elite athletes?

tbqh famicon i blame reddit for normalizing programs based around compound lifts

Nothing sadder than a guy injecting himself with chemicals brewed in some guy's basement so that he can be pretty good but still unremarkable when compared to any world-class lifter.

>Ed Hall
>powerlifting
Pick uno

And still, there's nothing wrong with getting some equipment, it's a long term investment to hopefully give you better longevity, so that you can actually become strong at some point.

Using suits however, is of course counterproductive and should be avoided outside of competition and the last few weeks leading up to a competition.

Do lifting belts and knee wraps and all that jazz actually offer any tangible benefits when you're squatting 225ish as compared to simply lifting with good form?

Sleeves might help prevent patellar tendonitis and tightness, meaning less mobility work is required, may also help you hit a much more stable bottom position if you get really tight ones.

A belt however is fucking massive, if you start using a belt you pretty much won't ever want to squat again without one.

And no, the belt doesn't make you weaker or anything, I can still hit triples near my max or whatever without a belt.

Bro, if your on a bowling leuge then you are considered an amateur athelete

There's always some faggot like OP who thinks he's super stoic and badass for lifting in minimal gear.
None of the elite althletes give a fuck what kind of equipment you use as long as it's legal.
Things like knee sleeves and wrist wraps are purely for fucking support and help prevent injury; wear them if you need them, regardless of weight. They barely contribute to max weight, if at all. Heeled shoes help many people get to proper depth without compromising tightness in other areas due to mobility issues. Some people like wearing shoes, some don't. If you're weightlifting, it's a must. Again, shoes don't really add to your lifts and are more for support. A belt helps increase intra-abdominal pressure, but anyone who thinks a belt comprises ab development have absolutely no idea how a belt works. Wear it when shit gets heavy.

I don't think I'm a badass. I'm a skinnyfat casual gym-goer. My point is that half of these guys decked out in all this expensive gear and dropping hundreds of dollars on these snake oil supplements are far closer to my level than they are to any legit professional strength athletes.

What I don't understand is how that's not obvious to them. Nobody gives a fuck that you can squat 315. I mean good for you, but you're not exceptional. You're not even within the proximity of the vicinity of exceptional. Yeah, it's probably better than 90% of the population, but being in the top 10% of pretty much anything means fuck all. Accept that you're a casual and stop pretending you're Brian Shaw or Ronnie Coleman or anyone else infinitely better than you.

They're trying to get better and stronger and supportive equipment helps with that.

Do you really go to powerlifting meets where guys are squatting 315?

I've been to a few, and generally speaking everbody is squatting something respectable, and you don't get the guys dressed up in sponsored shirts unless they're totalling 1500+.

I did a meet when I totalled 1150 or so, I was the weakest guy there (I was just wearing a wrestling onesie LOL).

Some of us do all those things you mentioned, plus inject a couple hundred mg of test because we enjoy the sport and are trying to get better at it. I understand what you're saying but I would would fight you on principle if you laughed at someone in my gym.

I smell envy, maybe you should eat some peanut butter to go with all that jelly, you could use the calories.
Side note: who cares (other than you obv.)

The guy who primarily inspired this is around 5'4", squats around 250 in a squat suit, takes like 10 minutes between sets, and has cottage cheese thighs. I envy powerlifters/strongmen who are humble despite being the best at what they do, e.g. Brian Shaw. Not fat manlets wearing "come at me bro" shirts while lifting baby weights (relatively speaking).

Back
To
Reddit

What makes you think they believe they're professional? There's nothing wrong with buying the best equipment if one can afford it. It honestly just sounds like you're a judgemental fuck.

You really letting that guy get to you? It's not like his choices are gonna leak all over you. Sounds like you're the one with the problem.

Because people who think they're the shit are fucking annoying. This guy, and guys like him, will grab a rack (my gym has 3 racks), stay there for 45 minutes, blabber on about dumb shit about max volume, brag about their mediocre PRs, and generally shit things up the whole time they're at the gym. And in the case of my gym, there's someone like that at the gym all the fucking time.

There's another guy who just benched 600 lbs raw. He does the same thing. I don't mind that guy because he's actually good at what he does. Maybe not elite, but still a very proficient lifter. He's earned the right to be a bit of a braggart. The fat shit squatting 250 hasn't. Shut up, do your workout, and accept that you're nothing special.

Yeah, I am. Because he represents everything that I fucking hate about this generation. Abundant self-confidence that comes from nothing. He walks around the gym preening like he's achieved something meaningful when any asshole could come in off the street, eat a lot and squat a couple times a week and achieve the same results in 6 months to a year. He's just a different shade of every overconfident douche who expects to be congratulated for mediocrity and I fucking hate those people.

So, yeah, maybe I am the one with the problem.

OP these people exist in every facet of life, you just have to change your mindset so they don't bother you at all. Just focus on yourself.

Shut up, do your workout, and accept that you're nothing special.

That has everything to do with the person and nothing to do with equipment. Have you never been involved in any sport before? There's always some guy with too much money who gets top of the line equipment and other gimmicky products to boost their own ego.
Don't vilify equipment because any actual professional, ie, someone whose income depends on their performance, would have considered every possible avenue of equipment that would best improve their lifts.

I'm not vilifying equipment in the right hands. But these people the equivalent of a soccer mom who bought a top of the line computer then just uses it to store her recipes for snickerdoodles. Only in most cases the soccer mom doesn't talk shit about her fleek ass computer or whatever suburban teens are saying these days.

Because nobody cared who he was, until he put on the mask.

They say the best way to do something is to immerse yourself in it. Unfortunately some people take this too far.

Whenever people ask me about lifting I just tell them to use the number are motivation. It's all numbers man

Of course I'm nothing special. I just wish these people would acknowledge the same about themselves.

But they're everywhere. And they never learn.

As long as you get that right hands do not mean only strong people can use equipment. Many of the things you listed are support/injury prevention. If someone's using shoes, sleeves and a belt for a 95lb squat, but it's challenging them and they have good form, then there's no need to judge.

If there's an old guy using a belt, fine. But the old guy usually isn't wearing a "BEAST MODE" stringer and screaming about his one legged front squat PR to his bro at the other end of the gym.

Teach them, or switch gyms.

that what you get when men with no self-discipline and self-confidence suddenly gain the latter but not the former

just let them be, they don't affect you in the least, a #GYMBEAST shirt won't make them any stronger

You literally reek of envy. What makes you think these guys see themselves as exceptional? Just let them lift with or without gear, how does that affect you anyway except making you feel insecure.
Focus on your own goals buddeh

See power """"lifter"""" use wrist wraps and elbow sleeves to bench 115kg for one and grunt.

I am by no means strong but I can do 115 for a 5x2 and this guy has been lifting for 3 years I'm only on 1.5

>Mixed grip for 120kg

Im a dyel and what is this

Wearing a shirt with "come at me, bro" emblazoned on the back simultaneously reeks of both arrogance and insecurity. Again, I envy people who are actually good at what they do and are humble about it, not mongoloid wanna-be alphas who can't even squat any significant amount of weight.

Also learn to use "literally" properly, you dolt.

Ur right about that sry

It's ok senpie. We all make mistakes that's why pencils have erasers.

everyone should be wearing lifting shoes, ideally from day 1
everyone should own a belt. once you've lfited for a few months, got the form down and get to weights that are challenging you should belt up for the heaviest sets
straps should be owned by everyone and used when necessary, but most likely you'll have lifted for a year or more before it's necessary.
everyone should use chalk

all of the above are simply correct tools for the job. it has nothing to do with how much you lift.

honestly it sounds like you guys just have a grudge against extroverted people with social lives

yes it'd be kinda hilarious if a 150 pounder lanklet would be literally bragging about a 1x bw squat while in full gear but even then why would you care? they're happy people with friends and hobbies while you are snickering about them and jerking off all alone on a nigerian butterfly collector newsgroup

do you often think people are incosiderate about how they behave? because I believe that is what gets you in general, but here you could specify it.

see, people are selfish if they have agendas. doesnt mean they will ever reach their agendas (in this case, lets say all those guys you mentioned want to look big and lift like a pro), they still stay kinda focused and selfish about their agendas, and inconsiderate.

on the other hand we have a guy who wants everyrhing to be in order (you) and is pushing (bit passively) their agendas. and they are inconsiderate as well. world doesnt owe you any favours.
it will never be how you wish it to be, only how you make it to be. they are making the world theirs you are just wishing it was different.

although i agree with you, many people are inconsiderate and more considerate people would make the world a better place, but our idea of more tolerant considerate place is just an abstract idea of our own small minds.

change gym, if not possible - change hours. if not possible - wear headphones to ignore them - or top tier - learn to live with assholes because they are same thing that you are: human pushing their own agenda. its a starting point of tolerance.

damn i can be cringy, english isnt my 1st language but i think i got my point across

This shit is way older than crossfit

If I pulled that off, would he die?

What if they're using sleeves and belt to help prevent injury or their joints are a little wonky?

Shit doesn't stay tight forever man. Try getting into your mid 30s... you might end up having little aches and pains and shit you didn't have when you were 22.

B-but judging people is the only way I can be happy.

this thread wreaks of bait... I can't believe someone might give a fuck about other people THIS much

I don't mind extroverted people with social lives. But I have an intense hatred for loud douchebags who shout at each other like the Normandy landings are going on around them.

Bah. I'm not pushing shit. I keep quiet, do my workout, and go home. Just wish other people could do the same.

None of the old guys do this, save for two or three who are basically that guy living in his van at the beginning of Bigger, Stronger, Faster.

It wouldn't bother me so much but for the fact that people like this exist in every segment of society and they're fucking unbearable. These are like the gym equivalent of that vapid cunt we all know who does nothing but post selfies on Instagram and talk about her shoes.

Yeah, in cycling they are called Freds, what should we call them in the gym?

>There's another guy who just benched 600 lbs raw
>maybe not elite, but still a very proficient lifter

Benching 600lbs (~270kg) at any bodyweight is both elite and profficient.

When it comes to the manlet squatting 250lbs. Let him have his fun and pursue his hobby why don't you? By your own account you're a skinnyfat casual gym-goer. Why aren't you actually putting time and money into your hobby? Why are you occupying the squat rack and shitting on other people who obviously care about what they're doing. Who cares that they're not any good? You seem to suck pretty hard too.

>powerlifters thinking anybody gives a shit about them ever at all

Kek, you guys are the true autists in the gym and everyone knows it. OP just proves my point.

>not lifting for aesthetics

Plebs

It's also a result of our individualist, narcissist culture. The people who are in their early 20's now have been told when growing up that they are super special snowflakes. And social media gives them the perfect platform to take their self-importance to astronomical levels.

black and whites stars and stripes is pretty aesthetic

my flag is a fucking leaf

>
>do you often think people are incosiderate about how they behave? because I believe that is what gets you in general, but here you could specify it.
>see, people are selfish if they have agendas. doesnt mean they will ever reach their agendas (in this case, lets say all those guys you mentioned want to look big and lift like a pro), they still stay kinda focused and selfish about their agendas, and inconsiderate.
>on the other hand we have a guy who wants everyrhing to be in order (you) and is pushing (bit passively) their agendas. and they are inconsiderate as well. world doesnt owe you any favours.
>it will never be how you wish it to be, only how you make it to be. they are making the world theirs you are just wishing it was different.
>although i agree with you, many people are inconsiderate and more considerate people would make the world a better place, but our idea of more tolerant considerate place is just an abstract idea of our own small minds.
>change gym, if not possible - change hours. if not possible - wear headphones to ignore them - or top tier - learn to live with assholes because they are same thing that you are: human pushing their own agenda. its a starting point of tolerance.
>damn i can be cringy, english isnt my 1st language but i think i got my point across

The smallest dogs have the loudest barks.

Next time you see a truly big guy, pay attention to him. You'll notice they do the opposite.

The only people who feel a need to wear nutrition shirts and the people who don't get comments everytime they stop out in public.

When you start getting big enough and everyone mentions your muscles without failure, then you start wanting to cover up because you can't go anywhere without being noticed.

He would drop those plates on your feet and it would be extremely painful for you.

180kg dead lift is the point your dead lift becomes respectable

live like a champ and one day you become one

Why are you so afraid of people pursuing their goals?

Why does he wear the mask?

>Go to commercial gym
>Deadlift 600 x 5
>Literally like 5 people come up to ask for advice on how to get bigger and stronger

Also the fact that someone is reading this right now and thinking 'e-stats' shows people care. They just pretend they don't care because they can't do it.

Goes the other way too though. Heaps of powerlifters pretend they don't care about aesthetics when they would really love to be lean.

Don't be a twink and train for both (not powerlifting specifically, just don't justify being weak with muh aesthetics and don't justify being fat with muh strength).

Some people have a delusional sense of grandeur.

You will find this in any sport or activity.

Biking is notrious with htese fuckers that pay $20000 for a bike just because it has a frame that's 0.0005 g lighter. Then wear expensive tight spandex that bulges with their bodyfat.

I agree. I compete in powerlifting and it's such a fucking hugbox sport sometimes. People want to be able to brag about their single-lift regional under-23yo records but get pissed off when you point out they're the only people in that niche. My country tried to introduce a ranking system and it made a lot of people pissed off because they couldn't fathom that, despite going to an international competition, they weren't considered elite. Why? Because they were the only fucking >50yos who turned up to the national competition and paid the vanity fee to go to Worlds/Euros and place dead last.

This is me. 38 and use knee and elbow sleeves and wrist wraps. Occasionally I'll forget them and still lift. Later that night I'll have sore/inflamed joints.

Damn OP don't you know all that sodium it's good for your diet? You're gonna be a weak little fuck forever with all that salt.

This isn't even really Veeky Forums related. People are braindead consumers and presentation matters a lot more than substance to a lot of people.