I need some help Veeky Forums

I need some help Veeky Forums.

So, I'm joining the Australian Defence Force, and the physical and fitness requirements for the Air Force are: a maximum BMI of 32.9, and 29.9 for Pilots, 10 push-ups, 20 sit-ups, 6.5 shuttle run score.

Now, I can do the 10 push-ups and 20 sit-ups, but I can't do the 6.5 shuttle run. The last time I did it was in the 10th grade (I've just finished my final year of highschool last month), and if I remember correctly I got a 3.5. So a pretty shit score.

My BMI right now is 33-33.5

So my question is, how can I lower my BMI to 29.9, and how can I get ready to achieve a 6.5 shuttle run score in the fastest time possible. I'm not sure exactly when the fitness test will be, but I can assume that it'll be within the next 3 months. I also won't be in the country for the whole month of December, as I'll be in Japan so I can't do much training there. But at least if I stick to fish and shit I won't be eating as much unhealthy food as I do now.

Right now, the fitness requirement is the only thing stopping me from being able to join the ADF.

Other urls found in this thread:

airforce.gov.au/About-us/Structure-of-the-RAAF/Air-Command/Air-Force-Training-Group/RAAF-College/No46-1-Recruit-Training-Unit/Fitness-Guidelines/?RAAF-r2ruMBvu4dD xp11IWbsNPs4Q28ODnzm
wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So you want to learn how to lose weight, while simultaneously becoming a better runner. I honestly wouldn't worry about meeting a fitness requirement because you'll be rejected for being a retard.

So what you're saying is... I should just do a bunch of running?

Consider using thermogenic preworkout supplements. You'll gain muscle, shed body fat, and so on.

6.5 is easy as fuck my nigga, do the couch to 5km plan, or even easier go for a 5km run early each morning (in summer especially, it is often to hot in the evening in aus).
Have a cold shower when you are done.
Is there anything else you would like to know for joining the military?

Thanks for the help.

Say that I get into the ADF and meet the fitness requirements. If I fail to meet the fitness requirements say two or three years into the job, do I get kicked out?

I'm not sure what the air force is like compared to the army, but assuming the air force does PT and field exercises too there is probably a low chance you would fail the fitness requirements.
The original requirements are simply to make sure you don't get injured in basic.

Jesus christ, don't aim for the minimum

Just run your ass off. If you do the minimum 6.5 and you struggle to do that there's no way that you'll manage to do the 2.4km run in under 12 minutes.

Take another year to prepare yourself, they want to see you excel, not make minimums. The fitness test is more of a box-ticking exercise, they will likely judge you on appearances instead. You should be aiming to do a 2.4km run in 10:20 or less to be competitive and 25 push-ups done to proper cadence, not rushed.

Do you want to take a shot at pilot? If so i might be able to give you some vague pointers. I scrubbed off pilots course.

With a BMI of 30+ you have a long way to go. Keep in mind there is another set of restrictions for pilot candidates regarding height and weight for the ejection seats.

If you want my advice, I would call and rearrange/defer your application with the stated intent of improving your fitness and personal development etc. Do something community/leadership orientated and get fit.

Thanks for the help.

I've looked at the weight and height restrictions for pilots, and I meet those restrictions. I'm 90kg, and 170cm tall.

If I feel I'm not ready to do more than the bare minimum in two or so months, then I'll defer the application. Hopefully it won't have to come to that though.

There's also a 2.4km run? Shit. I can walk 1km in 9-10 minutes, but I guess that's really different than having to run 2.4km.

I have a ADF session soon too. I'm really worried about several things though.
I had a hospitalisation for a "drug induced psychosis" when I was 18. Took LSD with friends, had a bad time. 6 years ago now.

Will this show up on medical records? I've omitted this information from my medical questionnaire.

There is nothing wrong with me and I'm confident I'll pass everything with flying colours.

Also, did I make a mistake by asking the recruiter on the phone the very above question.. after supplying my details?

I'm still giving it my all and preparing but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be instantly red flagged, or torn apart in the psychometrics.

Yeah, dude. How much have you read into it? The second you get into basic they give you another fitness test.

>When you arrive at 1RTU you will be required to pass a Physical Fitness Test, which consists of the following:

For you I'm guessing you're a young guy, so:
>12min 2.4km run
>30sec flexed arm hang (holding the top of a pull-up position)
>30 unheld situps
>25 pushups

This is the kind of stuff that they should've asked you in your interview breh

>When you arrive at 1RTU you will be required to pass a Physical Fitness Test, which consists of the following:

Where's this from? I don't see it on the website.

And yeah, I'm 18. I wasn't told about any of this in the interview.

airforce.gov.au/About-us/Structure-of-the-RAAF/Air-Command/Air-Force-Training-Group/RAAF-College/No46-1-Recruit-Training-Unit/Fitness-Guidelines/?RAAF-r2ruMBvu4dD xp11IWbsNPs4Q28ODnzm

Pretty sure it's in the booklet they give you as well. Which interview have you done? The initial one at the YOU session or the proper one on your assessment day?

funny thing is my mate is trying to get into the airforce and he can do the beep test but cant even do 10 pushups lmao. hes gonna kill himself

Thanks.

Just the initial one at the YOU session.

Right, yeah on the assessment day they'll ask you about it

They will ask if you've done the run before and what your time is, the psych will ask about your weight and your history with sports and fitness etc.

If you're serious about it then start running and chart your progress so you can show them that you're making proper progress towards your goals or they'll tell you to gtfo and come back in a year

Good luck famalam

Are you me?

Why are you signing up to become a murderer?

Is that a shop or is there literally a kangaroo in FORCE?

Its real.

>
Don't wait for them to tell you you're not up up to scratch, they like seeing people having the initiative to make a decision. You'll pass the pre-enlistment test but they'll know that you'd fail the first PFT you do when you get in. How's that, getting a negative TPR (Training Progress Report) in your first week?

Also the pilot selection process is pretty tedious with rather stringent standards. You really have to be bringing your A-game.

Yeah, sorry man but the second you mentioned it to them it would have been noted. Their medical standards are really uptight and I've heard of tons of people getting knocked back for trivial stuff but a psychotic break would be entirely disqualifying. There is the chance it wasn't annotated but if it was and you didn't mention it on further paperwork they'd knock you back as well as giving a massive grilling over lack of integrity.

The ADF isn't that great anyway.

Kind of off topic but I'm going into the US Navy. How do I get my push up count up? Is the 100 push up plan good?

>I'll be in Japan so I can't do much training there.
Not gonna make it with that attitude.

I'm glad you guys summed it up for me. OP's stupidity fucking burst a vessel in my head.

roll

> air force
> worried about fitness
Youll be fine champ
T. RAINF

wtf you can join the ADF while being several points into the obese range?

roll

>implying Muslims count as people

OP here, so I just got back from the first "run" that I've had in a few years.

I only got to ~500 meters of jogging before I had to give up.

Fuck, I'm not going to make it, am I?

Get a desk job. You are unfit for military service.

But I don't want an office job.

I've deferred my application for a year. So until November 2017, I've got to try and get fit enough to get a 6.5 on a shuttle run, and have a BMI of 29.9

Do you think that's possible for someone as fat as me? I'm 90kg, and 170cm, so that puts me at a BMI of 31 according to the Heart Foundation website.

>joining the air force

who are you going to kill?

Whoever I'm required to.

Although I don't think I'll have to kill anyone.

Not with that attitude or unstructured training regimen.

Though if all you can make is the minimum ehh... you might want to work somewhere else.

Australians truly are the genetic trash of the world. how is your fucking push up requirements lower than US army women's push up requirements? Shamefu dispray senpai

It's just for entry. If I remember correctly, you're expected to be able to perform around 40 push ups once you're in the Army.

My friend got knocked back for being allergic to fucking peanuts, not even anaphylaxis lol they're uptight as fuq. Don't stress tho hopefully they didn't note it, nothing you can do about it now just hope for the best, what's the worst that can happen ? you improved yourself?
If you get knocked back you can apply for another physical job like police or fireman or something, ADF isn't the be all and end all.

>3.5 shuttle run

That's fucking pathetic. That's objective.

It's a start, 600 tomorrow the next time, 700 next. You work out and you build on top of it. Better and better each time. Sounds more simple than it is.

Yes you can get this fit in a year. The level of fitness is fucking low, really fucking low.

You fucking should be. If you want some respect among the workplace passing the bare minimum of fitness standards should be something you're able to do.

OP, it's definitely possible, in fact much more than that is possible, but your attitude right now isn't there. You need to want it, badly, more badly than anything else, or you'll keep making excuses. You need a mindset change and none of us here can give you that, it has to come from you. You need to read the sticky and start getting Veeky Forums, and you have to realise that you have to do this in order to achieve your goal of getting into the ADF.

1. Diet. It seems difficult, but I promise you no matter what condishuns you have, you can change your diet. The first change I made was swapping my everyday large maccas meals for smalls. I was so shocked to see that that one small action lost me 1kg. From then on, I was convinced. Calories are king, and weight loss is a numbers game - given your daily intake and expenditure, it's possible to very accurately calculate how much weight you will lose. Go to www.sailrabbit.com/bmr to calculate your daily energy expenditure. Be conservative with your activity level, put sedentary even if you're not, you can recalculate later if you're losing weight faster than expected. Download myfitnesspal and track EVERYTHING you eat and drink, that goes into your mouth, and ACCURATELY. Buy a food scale. Guessing isn't good enough. If you fail to lose weight or plateau, it is never because counting calories doesn't work. It is always because you counted wrong. Always.
Changing your diet sounds intimidating, but it's all about one change at a time. Large meals for smalls. Over time it becomes easier to sort out the rest of your diet.
2. Exercise. Lift weights. It's great calorie burning exercise, it makes you look and feel better, you don't want to diet down and still look fat because you have no muscle mass. Muscle will also obviously help you in the ADF. Do cardio on rest days. To get better at the beep test, do the beep test, often, as much as possible, and always push yourself until you feel like you're going to puke.

cont.
When you exercise you need to push yourself to get better, otherwise you're completely wasting your time. I had a 3kg dumbbell that I used to curl for 40 reps. Do you think it did anything? It did sweet fuck all. You need to start with a weight you can only lift for 5 reps before you can't lift it anymore, recover for long enough that you can lift it 5 times again, and repeat for 5 sets. Do this with bench press, overhead press, squats and deadlifts (follow SS or Stronglifts in the sticky) and you will become much stronger than 3kg dumbbell curls could ever make you. Get a personal trainer just for one or two sessions to make sure your form isn't going to snap your back.- whatever you do don't listen to their fucking meme advice on anything else. Check anything they tell you to do against reliable sources.
Only lifting heavy will make you stronger. In the same way, only running fast will make you faster. You MUST push yourself or it's a waste of time.
When you start you won't be very good, but don't be discouraged. As long as you improve every time, or at least push yourself, you will make progress, you will be taking steps towards your goal. That's why you need to chage your attitude. You won't make it by doing the bare minimum. And trust me, once you start seeing progress, and that it's really possible, improvement will be its own reward and motivation. Try also browsing places like r/progresspics (inb4 LEDDIT REEEEE) to see people who have made it and how they did it. This will make concrete in your mind the idea that you can be that person too. I also recommend Radu Antoniu's videos on achieving your goals on youtube.

t. Former fatty who went from BMI 42 to 28 in 9 months. Believe me OP, if I can do it anyone can, I have thyroid, bad knees, etc etc so many conditions, but none of that makes it impossible. It only makes it harder. But you can still do it. Ask me any questions if you like.

Thanks.

Thanks for the help.

I tried out myfitnesspal for a bit, but I never bought a food scale so I basically guessed everything.

Thanks for the motivation user.

Good luck.

Food scale is 100% essential. try to use it as much as possible even if people look at you weird. If your progress is slow due to underestimating calories it will be demotivating, so overestimate calories consumed if you ever have to guess. Also only enter half of what mfp says your exercise calories burned are. It waaaaay overestimates and that will also make progress slow.
Take pictures of your body fortnightly to compare. You won't see a difference within 2 weeks, but within a month yes, and in 6 months definitely. They are a good motivator.
Finally have a read of this, it helps me when motivation is low. A little harshly worded but sound advice. wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/
Building habits is the most important thing. Keep going no matter what.

Jesus I thought the USAF pt test was a joke. I'm assuming the push-ups and sit-ups are in a minute. Step it up Aussies.

You need to figure out your diet and start running. Do some stretched and warm up jogging for a bit. Then sprint for 30 seconds then walk for a minute. Repeat that half a dozen times then jog for 15-25 min. Do that 3x a week and you'll be fine.

The annual basic fitness assessment is way harder than the pre-enlistment requirements, and you WILL get kicked out if you don't have a damn good reason for not meeting them.

IIRC the army BFA for males under 25 consists of a 2.4km run in about 11 minutes, 40 push ups and 70 sit ups.

I just finished Air Force bmt a month ago we did "1x3s" to help make strength gains for push-ups and sit-ups. Do a minute of sit-ups (they teach it as half of your max in a minute) but do as many as you can. Rest for a minute then another minute of push-ups repeat until you've done 3 sets. Do this and the same for sit-ups 3x a day and you'll see some pretty legit improvements.

Thanks.

I input some details into the website you linked. Does this look right to you?

According to MFP, if I want to lose 1kg a week I've got to stay at 1500 calories a day.

Nah push-ups and sit-ups are to a cadence. Doesn't make it less of a joke

OP's only mentioned the entry fitness test, has barely made mention of the Fitness Test he's gonna have to do every year if he joins and if he can't do this he won't be able to do that

Wait actually, ignore that one. I made some changes.

They have structured pt so he has to stay in regs right? What kind of circus are you guys running down there?

Air Force I think for under 25's are
2.4 in 12minutes
25 pushups or 30 second flex arm hang
35 sit ups unheld or 60 held

Also OP it probably goes without saying that you don't aim for these numbers you aim higher

Shit of course they do but depeding on what you do and when you work, working out is your own responsibility

I was thinking that 2.4km in 12 minutes isn't that bad, but then I realized that I walk 5km in an hour. That's going to take a while to be able to do.

When you say 25 pushups or 30 second flex arm hang, and 35 sit ups unheld or 60 held, is that a choice that we're given?

I probably won't be able to do the flex arm hang, as I can't even do 1 second of that. But I can do about 20 unheld sit ups right now.

Yeah I ought to have added that RAAF generally asks for less, although I imagine the ongoing fitness reqs are somewhat higher for pilots and air defence personnel, not sure what OP is looking to get into.

yes it's a choice. Instead of JUST being on Veeky Forums you should be using google to look this up.

*Ground defence. My bad

Nah it's probably worthwhile posting the army standards. Give something to strive for.

I'm looking to get into either becoming a Pilot, or an Air Surveillance Officer.

But I can't even do the latter until I have held a manual driver's license for 12 months.

Considering the competitiveness of pilot roles, you're going to want to confidently say you can smash the fitness reqs, not just meet them. It will come up at the assessment interview stage, no doubt. I'd strive to meet at least Army BFA requirements, not just the pre enlistment requirements, before that stage.

Not fit, can't drive manual. Please never fly

Just realized how fat you are compared to you're height. Deferring was a good idea

When I first started losing I needed to stay at 2200 a day for 0.5kg/week weight loss. I aimed for 2300. Then I plateaued and revised down to 1800. Then after another plateau, 1600. You don't have to go the whole hog at once. Only do what is sustainable.
You definitely don't have a constricted lifestyle, that's for people who are housebound. It's good to underestimate calories out though. Basically, BMR calculations are fairly accurate, but TDEE is much more of a guess, you really have to track for about 2 weeks and compare that to your actual weight change to know what your real TDEE is. Consider though, that tracking through a scale is problematic because factors like your hydration and whether you just took a shit will affect your total weight. The aim of the game is not weight loss, but fat loss. At one stage, obsessed with the number on the scale, I was eating 200-800 calories per day. That's fucking crazy, and only leads to "fake" losses because I was dehydrated, I had no food in my stomach, and I lost a shit ton of muscle mass. It also wasn't close to sustainable and I eventually binged out of control and gained back 3kg.
For these reasons I'd recommend getting a DEXA scan to find out your bodyfat% and inputting that into Cunningham's equation (google it) to know your BMR accurately within about 50 calories. You can get another scan in say 6 months to see your real fat loss progress. And you can find cheap DEXA deals on sites like Groupon from time to time.
Also, I didn't mention it becase it's probably too much info at once, but you'd look to eat a high-protein diet eventually. That's another reason you should get a DEXA scan, to know your lean body mass. You should eat 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, so if you have say 50kg lbm, that's 110lb so you'd try to eat 110g of protein per day. Combining high protein intake with lifting will preserve and build muscle mass while promoting fat loss.

Cont.
It basically makes your body say hey we need these muscles, burn the fat instead. Also, protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram, but protein is MUCH more filling. Fat and protein are both filling, but fat has 9 calories per gram. Fat and carbs definitely aren't bad and you need them, but just try to eat as much protein as possible while remembering that total calories is still king, keep to your deficit above all else.
Anyway like I said that's probably too much information, you don't need to make all these changes at once, or feel bad that you can't do that. Just keep them in mind to adopt one day eventually. Good luck

Well to be fair, I live so close to the city that I never felt the need to have to get a learners permit until January of this year. So I've got to wait two months to get my Ps with a manual car, and then twelve more months of having my manual license.

And yeah, it only took me one jog to realize that if I was going to be assessed within the next two months, I'll definitely be rejected.

Thanks user, I really appreciate it.

Just keep it in mind that even if you successfully run the gauntlet of pilot selection; Medicals, Gen Assesment, FSP & OSB. You can wake up any given Monday morning on pilots course knowing that if you slip up you could be scouring the internet for another job by Friday, they may even string out the discharge paperwork over a few months to give you time to savor the crushing sense of defeat and hopelessness.

Some years they may allow you to re-spec but this is becoming less common.

At least there is always professional shitposting as a fallback option.

whats your city OP

Melbourne