QTDDTOT

QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

I didnt see one up.

Is is strange that I buttwink like a motherfucker on my squats unless I specifically make an effort to ignore that part of my squat? Basically if I focus on keeping lower back arched or flat or hips from folding under, they do it anyway. But if I completely neglect it and just let my ass end up where it ends up, it looks great.

Will this come back and bite me? Or is it fine?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine
newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2006/11/why-weight-machines-are-bad-for-almost.html
youtube.com/watch?v=6wKDOTSDlS8
theladbible.com/now/viral-this-female-body-builder-reckons-shes-got-zero-body-fat-20161113
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is there any difference between cable hammer curls and dumbbell hammer curls?

Specifically forearm activation?

Buttwink is a bit of a meme and in most cases isn't going to cause harm providing you are braced properly.

A lot of buttwink looks worse because of how the waist band of shorts moves as you squat.

There's not a huge amount of difference in my experience. I've always found cable curls more challenging for my bicep and I think this is because the tension is continuous unlike dumbbell hammer curls.

Ultimately forearm activation will be greatest with whichever curl allows you to move the most weight. Dumbbell hammer curl probably should have more forearm activation because there is more stabilisation of the weight occurring and I'm assuming you are moving more weight (because it's slightly easier to cheat when your bicep is fatigued).

does my forearm still get worked if i deadlift with over-under grip and use straps

The waistband thing makes sense. Is there any way for setting up other than taking my pants off that would allow me to better judge?

Over/Under just gives you a significant mechanical advantage. You still need grip strength to hold the bar, which is entirely you.

Straps lets you get away with less grip strength.

For a hobbylifter straps unnecessary. Straps shouldn't really be used unless you're a powerlifter in my opinon.

but wouldn't using straps allow you lift more weight (work muscles more)?

Any recommendations for challenging ab (core) exercises that need no weights, are not planks or plank variations?

I mean, sure. But grip failure on deadlifts with mixed pretty uncommon.

While using the flat bench, why do people stop their range of motion before the bar hits their chest? I consider this an incomplete rep, am I missing something?

Hollow holds
Dragon flags
Front Lever and its progressions

>abs

For a flat footed person with orthotics (Need to wear them while squatting or I find my knees going way too far forward) what type of heel am I looking for in a shoe if i want to squat low bar? Any shoe reccomendations?

Dragon flags?
What's a good way to progress to be able to do those?

>low bar
No

>knees too far forward
Sure it's too far? Some knee travel often is ok depending on when it happens, where the weight is and your overall form.

Best back exercises for dumbbells with no pull up bar? I do rows and reverse flies every other workout, worrying about my small chest in comparison to my back so am benching every session.

I had a huge spike of energy and restlessness last night and have only gotten about 6 hours sleep and feel full of energy. I only skipped out on the last set of my workout because I didn't feel like it, I could have carried on.
Basically, I'm kinda worried. I tend to sleep 10-12 hours a night due to meds.

Would it be effective to have all your compound exercises on day A and all your accessory exercises on day B? Or should I divide compounds and accessories between A & B equally?

Thanks

What's the best way to lift and do cardio?

separate a segment of your workout for lifting and another segment for cardio, in that order.

Do you have functional or structural flat feet?
If it's the former, try foot arch strengthening exercises.

If you let your foot arch go flat, you can bend at the ankles more.
To mitigate this, use shoes that compensate for ankle dorsiflexion, like olympic weightlifting shoes.
Adidas, Nike and Reebok have some models of those.
The more expensive Adidas and Nike weightlifting shoes have a higher heel, which would be preferred.

So no cardio on rest days?

What's your goal? You can very well do cardio whenever you like, if it were me i'd probably go lighter on rest days since you know.... the body does need rest after all.

Weight loss mainly

>45 plate for the bottom
B R E H H H

IT WILL COME BACK TO BIGHT YOU
I'm in snap city right now because of this.
I only had slight butt wink, I have been squatting ass to grass.
Only go down as far as you can without bending your lower back forward

Yeah I'd suggest HIIT to get you in and out with cardio, look it up. On rest days probably something more low intensity.

Try it out and see if it works for you, otherwise make adjustments. Good luck!

Your knees probably aren't going too far forward. Knee travel is almost as much of a meme as buttwink.

I have incredibly flat feet and squat in oly shoes with no orthotics.

Probably not buttwink that caused this but poor core strength and improper bracing. Buttwink can be a symptom of this but it isn't the cause.

I suggest treating cardio as a supplemental activity instead of a core part of your exercise. For losing weight first concentrate on your diet, then concentrate on having full productive weight lifting sessions, then last concentrate on working some cardio in.

The main benefits of cardio are non-weight related. It helps your heart/lungs/brain, blood flow, can loosen up tight/sore muscles, all that good stuff, but last on the list is "it burns a few calories". Burning a few calories is great but you can lose weight with just proper diet, and weight lifting is great for weight loss for a whole bunch of reasons that are in the sticky.

All that being said, do any cardio you like that does not interfere with your weight program. If you just walk 20-30 minutes on a treadmill on a low incline, that gives you lots of the benefits of cardio. If you can handle a few HIIT sessions during the week without affecting your squats, then go for it. However don't push yourself and make yourself sore to the point where you can't do weights the next day.

High intensity 'giant sets' or super sets with antagonistic muscle groups done for high reps with short rests is good cardio and can be useful for squeezing in some extra volume at the end of a workout while increasing your work capacity.

Do I need cardio if I'm a skinny hardgainer trying to put on muscle?

>hardgainer
You need to eat more and try harder.

Cardio is always useful though. Increasing work capacity helps with recovery and lets you get more out of your workouts.

Noob here, still on a beginner program, just two months in.

What's the "best" way to treat a lift you're stalling on? Say I'm supposed to do a 5x5 but I can only do 3x5 at the scheduled weight.

Do I keep trying to do the last two sets with the intended weight and fail?
Do I lower the weight a little and finish the 5x5?
Do I just stop for the day and try again next time?

lower the weight, every time

Brian please go

I thought he was meming but I added them to my pragramming because they looked fun and high volume days have become so much easier than they used to be.

I reckon it fixed my nagging elbow discomfort as well.

How to fullbody when working manual labor? I'm digging and moving stuff 10 hours a day, sometimes more. How do you other construction brehs do it? I'd upper lower if I felt confident on my ability to progress with the squat and deadlift on the same day right now.

How does this seem? Any 4 day full body programs out there? I'd run GSLP but I want to place more of an emphasis on the deadlift.

A
Ohp
Deadlift
Overhead shrug and neckwork

B
Squat
Pendlay row and seated calve raise
Reverse grip Bench

ABxABxx

Practicing power clean form, to become main back movement.
Optional chins, and landmine lateral raises whenever.
Daily 100 band facepulls maymay
Going up 5lbs a week

Not going to bother with running for a while either

Don't see the point in doing overhead shrugs or seated calf raises.

What's your programming and progression like?

3 days should be plenty especially since you may have compromised recovery from m,anual labour.

If not, Run GSLP and add an extra day of whatever you like as long as you aren't going crazy and burning yourself out. Use it as a day to drill good movement patterns with light weight for a lift that feels weaker or just use it to have fun and a get a nice pump.

How do I get THIS vascular?

Dont get milked for a few days so start doing nofap

Whats the benifit of 5x5 compared to 4x12 which is what everyone in my Gym seems to do?

Seated calve rases for calve work, and overhead shrugs because I've got a Shoulder health concern, trap gains and I just like them.
I can't deadlift and squat twice a week on GSLP.

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

Is this routine legit?

Why can't you squat or deadlift twice?

Just add squats to an extra day.

Just had a thought that your 4th day would be a decent day to do variation of the big 3. eg, sumo deadlift, close grip bench, front squat

Yeeah, looks good for what it is

Forgot to mention
It's four days so I can split up the three into shorter sessions, while getting everything in.

Seated calf raises only target a small part of the calves, namely the soleus muscle.
Do them standing to use the larger gastronomicus muscles too.

You can cause shoulder problems by doing (dynamic) overhead shrugs.
Instead, use a heavy weight (push press or jerk it) and just hold it overhead for some time.

If time in the gym is the reason then just do it however allows you to get the total number of sets in each week that should be doing.

Get your work in for the big 3 and then use whatever time left for everything else. After a couple of weeks you should get an idea of what works for you

Im training stronglifts. If I play squash (and I play really hard) should I skip one day after it before going to the gym?

When I bench press I am able to lift the weight but I don't feel any muscles working, does it mean that I'm doing something wrong, or th weight is to hi?

Thanks

Anyone?

Squash shouldn't impact your recovery for lifting that much if you are eating well and getting enough sleep.

As for bench press, it took me quite a while until I felt it in my chest. Basically you are just weak at the moment and need to practice the movement more and keep progressing.

Only worry if it becomes a regular thing. If it's a one off I wouldn't bother about it.

Give it some time.

Why does fit hate machines?
Other than limiting the range of motion, what is wrong with using them?

machines only isolate and at best are an accessory to your workout.

Machines are actually pretty useful for targeting weak points and getting a bit of extra training volume into a workout.

The main problem is when peopel solely use machines and their lack of knowledge leads to them leaving some body parts weak and over developing others.

This is in the sticky
newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2006/11/why-weight-machines-are-bad-for-almost.html

Machines can be a useful tool for advanced guys, but you shouldn't build your main workout around them.

>not as efficient
>illusory safety (they can even be dangerous)

but there are several machines that you can use for muscle growth

I have problems with sleeping and I sleep 6hours MAX. usually 5+.
Is this bad for my training and what should i do?

Thanks for the quick replies. Now I ask you to forgive the obviously new to this response.

>accessory to your workout
means the goal won't be achieved by using machines, yes? So what goal are you thinking of? Getting big, getting strong, what?

Or is it pretty much that machines alone will just not do a good job of building overall fitness and a reasonable level of strength (as the blog post seems to imply)?

And, obviously, why would "a lot of PTs recommend them" if they're not good for you?

PTs recommend them because they have no clue what the fuck they're talking about, and because of the lower liability risk of machines that benefits the gym.

What are just some real simple things I can eat? I'm not much of a cook and don't know what to do with any of the food I buy

No one?

frenchbros i need your help
i'll be moving to france in a week for work. my french is pretty decent bar my english accent, but i obviously know nothing about gym terminology.
what are some useful words? say what's a clean and jerk called? how do i ask someone if i can work in? that sort of thing
much appreciated lads

As long as you get the same amount of work in weekly, it doesn't matter much.

Thank you!

I herniated my Lower back doing deadlift wrong. Does it heal over time

Rate my squat form?

youtube.com/watch?v=6wKDOTSDlS8

Sorry for the memery I got a little bit carried away, but am I pushing my knees forward the way I'm supposed to?

My index finger got a cut anda terrible got infected so now it's a swollen and bloody mass. Any workouts I can do without my finger hurting like hell?

Will bench press help my pullups?

Whats better for traps farmers carry or something like a clean or a high pull?

Is doing 5x8 squats twice a week enough for legs? only have 3 gym days a week so no leg day.

I had back problems, sciatica went away after I did RDLs and Front Squats instead of deadlifts and back squats for a while.

Why not do full body all three days?

To personal trainers out there.

Do you enjoy it, what made you want to become one?

Does this work on all body types? I'm a recovering skelly with decent upper body(shit legs)

no

how many times random people give you shit or try to make fun of you?i wanna know if i'm just annoying and weak looking or is it normal

I squat 70kg for 5 but deadlift 110kg for 5, why is my deadlift so much stronger when they both involve similar muscles?

theladbible.com/now/viral-this-female-body-builder-reckons-shes-got-zero-body-fat-20161113
what do u think Veeky Forums? Does she really have 0 % bodyfat?

Deadlift has different set of mechanical limitations and uses those muscles in a different way.

rack pulls above the knee, really stretch out traps

try a squat plug, it raised my squat by 20kg

I've been having a slight pain in my lower back after my heaviest dl and squat sets. I'm dling 245 and squatting 205. the pain always goes away after 5 minutes and I stretch everything afterwards though. I really don't want to fuck up my back, should I be worried?

obviously not otherwise she'd be dead, very low but not zero

I've only been lifting for like 3 months, doing GSLP, and my squat is shit, only 145, but my deadlift is 220, is this odd or do I just have good DL form and bad squat form? I've checked online for both and it seems good to me, could it just be differing muscle strength?

I missed two days of lifting, then deloaded 10% because the app (SL5x5) suggested to.

My form is now a lot better.

What sorcery is this?

How is sports authority as a brand? Looking at a weight set on craigslist. $220 for an oly bar of undetermined brand and 240lb/100kg of sports authority plates.

Got tendonitis in both right wrist and elbow, so I stopped working out 10 days ago to let it rest; it still hasn't healed, and while still keeping my macros I'm beginning to feel like a fucking couch potato. What can I do to keep my muscles active, that won't cause me pain / inflame the tendons even more?

/fraud/sters:
If I use steroids for say a month, and go off for the next 5 months, will I lose the muscle I gained since I won't have the same test levels after stopping?

because Veeky Forums is in love with the big compound lifts and refuses to acknowledge anything else. once they sprain their back deadlifting or injure their quad squatting, a lot of them sing a different tune.

how efficient is the circuit training for pure bodyfat burn?
a coach in my gym recommended that

Eating less matters most.
Any type of movement burns bodyfat.

how much weight/fat could I potentially lose by the end of the month if I did intermittent fasting and HIIT every day? that would be a caloric defecit every day on top of fat burning exercises.

How to strengthen lower abs? I've seen some contradictory information that crunches will actually make ATP worse.

It's also been hard to strengthen up glutes. It feels like when I stand up and try to tighten my glutes it just makes my lower backtense

I have lower back pain that occurs when i straighten my leg (near the tailbone)

however, it does not travel down ny leg whatsoever

Its gotten better over ~4 days

how fucked or unfucked am i

squatting down while cumming feels really good to me. Why?

Looks good to me. What helps me get through the last part of the squat (which looks like you struggle most) is pushing my knees to the sides to make my glute and quads work together. Nice song and memery, was fun.

full body workouts work best for beginners (1-2yrs lifting)

I'm 2 months in on this routine and thinking about doing it 4 times a week.
Is it too much?
AxBxCxAxBxC....

Are there any muscles I can focus on strengthening to reduce anterior pelvic tilt?