What's your relationship with your father like? Do you talk about lifting with him?

What's your relationship with your father like? Do you talk about lifting with him?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wKPa3uVddbU
youtube.com/watch?v=QibgVmdQA8Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

we haven't spoken since i dropped out of uni (2.5 years ago)

we live in the same house btw

My dad lifts and works as a Sanitation worker. So he's always making gains even at 55. But whenever ii talk to him or whenever he talks in general he just calls everyone and everything a Nigger or Obama.

do you at least say good morning to him?

why did you drop out? just curious

My dad is a smart guy for all intents and purposes. But of the mindset that lazy brown people are the root of all of his problems. So that sucks.

Dad is dad-bod mode + extra gut. He carries his weight weird as shit with almost all of it seemingly in his gut.

I'm recovering fatass. He seems proud when he asks me how I'm doing with that. I just wish he'd do something himself.

no. he started ignoring me soon after i moved back home; once i realised he was, i started doing the same.

i was at the point where i was about to either fail the degree or get a third, so i just quit.

Have you tried convincing him to do something?

i dont talk to him, ever.

Shit relationship. My dad is dumb and I'm smart, that annoys the shit out of him, mainly because I sometimes BTFO him on accident and only after realize what I have done. His morals and other principles are not in check and that causes some strain between me and him.

And no, I don't talk about anything with him exept for work, because he has been shunning and putting me down for my childish interest for my whole life and nothing I would have wanted to do would have been worth doing according to him.

The only way he sees that a person should live is work 14 hours per day and shut the fuck up for the rest of the time and if you fail to fit into that mold you are a failure.

He is out of shape as fuck and has all kinds of health problems, but he couldn't care less.

He has talked about his own death many times as a kind of a prize for me that I should be unconditionally grateful for him about, because of inheritance.

I have no interest in bettering my relationship with him. I put extreme effort into it untill the age of 21 and now the ball is in his hands.

>I'm smart

>on accident
>exept
>the ball is in his hands

I think that by starting lifting I made my father proud.
I was always a twink skelly mode before lifting and my father was always athletic since youth.
Since I gained quite some muscles and become strong he now often brags about his son to his friends.
feels good man

My dad lifts 5x a week and we get along great. Out of his 3 children, I'm the only one who takes lifting as seriously as he does so we have a tight bond of that.

I got him into lifting to supplement his marathon training. Nearly 60 years old and he looks 30 and is vascular as fuck. Ask him all the time if he's on TRT because there's no way he's natty

i've never met my father, but on the upside i'm white

Yes. His excuse (while kind of valid) is that due to the surgeries he has had on heart and arteries, any sort of cardiovascular exercise becomes extremely painful in his chest after just a few minutes.

Granted this doesn't stop him from eating better. That's up to self control. My mom and my younger brother, both obese, followed my example as far as eating better goes, and my brother is still young enough to be active on a daily basis like a normal kid. My dad has maintained largely the same habits throughout this. I'm just holding out hope that he sees what's happening and decides to give in and join us.

He's nice but a long time alcoholic. I'm thinking about doing some kind of intervention but I don't know how and the whole thing seems a bit cringey

Dad is a burned out punk that never held a job down for longer than a few weeks and never finished Uni, though he has a new family now.
Stepdad is an alcoholic burn out that never 'made it'.

Honestly, I try to improve myself as much as possible to not end up like them, old and bitter. It's hard some days and I still don't have my shit together as I should have at age 24, but it's moving forward I guess.

coolest guy ever, love him to death. Last year he called me Adonis, that felt nice. Was the only one of my family supporting me moving into a Van and now here i am on the coast of morocco, surfing every day while my whole family works jobs they hate in shitty cold weather

-mother threatened to disown me if i go surfing everyday
-sounds extremely bitter and jealous whenever we text now

>implying I don't occasionally lift with him
>implying I didn't go to old school gyms with him when I was around 5 years old and watch him lift
>implying I didn't used to watch strongman with him

How do you pay for that lifestyle?

I love my dad. Works like a dog, taught me 90% of the stuff school didn't, and fully supports me in everything I do

he doesn't lift but used do track and field

Great presents to each other are workouts since otherwise we're fucking social retards. Recently ran a 5k with him which was super fun

>couldn't stop himself from banging pipeline sluts
>reason for parents divorce when I was 12
>goes through a couple marriages, women are always fat and stupid
>the one he stuck with is also fat, but with the personality of a chainsaw. Like the personality of Hillary and the body of Rosie
>He's kind of distant with his emotions to his kids unless he's drunk

He is a source of permanent shame, and I vowed to surpass him in every way

>still makes more money than me, is a better shot with a revolver than me

What a cocksucker

are you stupid? he lives in a van

Parents divorced when I was in elementary school. My brother had a normal upbringing as a teenager with both parents and, I'm here on Veeky Forums now. He remarried and I see him and catch up on special occasions.

He's pretty alpha, dad-strong, outgoing and handy, but he respects me and thinks I'm the smart one.

>magical van that dispenses food, medical care and internet

And how does he pay for gains food, internet, resources, gas and medicine?

havent seen him for years
probably beat him to death, if i meet him next time

Its shit.
He was a workaholic when I grew up so I dont actually "know him". Mom divorced him cause he didnt do anything else than work, never spent time with his family and three kids.

Now when we're all grown up and he aint working all the time so he tries to get to know me and do stuff together and be nice to me but I remember the past and therefor I wont ever fullt accept him.

Neglecting your kids & wife is probably one of the worst things you can do.

Worth adding to this, is that since I never really had a father growing up I became beta as fuck, bullied etc during my first like 20 years of my life and I do blame it on him.

>food
dumpster diving
>internet
starbucks
>medicine
what makes you think he lives in americuck?

My dad is obese at bout 5'9 and 250. Refuses to clean up his eating habits and cut down on his late not cereal binges because muh cholesterol is perfect hue hue hue meme. Fuck logic right.

he died when I was 12

>Dad was a violent alcoholic
>verbally and physically abused my mother
>beat me (with restraint though)
>me and mother move away, life is 100x better
>not sure how to be a "man"

Anyone have any advice? I struggle between following stereotypical "man" traits like blocking off emotions and gravitating towards certain hobbies, and trying to simply hold responsibility and self-improvement. How do I become a man in a modern sense? simply the latter half?

He busted his ass to provide for you and your bitch mother and what does he get for that?

A kick in the balls for being a good man and a little shit that blames all his faggot problems on the man that tried to give you a good life. Grow up and accept the man, you pantywaist shit.

>some random dude tries to give me shit on the internet about something he knows 0 about

Money was never a problem though so your statement doesn't make sense, mom worked aswell just didnt over do it.
Kids cant grow up with just one parent

You sound like the ultimate mommas boy.
She blamed him for everything and so do you, you pathetic piece of shit.

My father left when I was a baby.

My dad was a track star in his home town. I know he loves and supports me. He's out of the country most of the time and I don't have long distance on my phone. He tells me I should call him more. I don't talk to him often, so he feels like I don't care about him.

i was able to drastically lower my monthly expenses by cutting out rent, online purchases, and daily living costs of a big city. Whereas i used to spend 400+€ on food and "fun" (going drinking, cinemas etc.) besides rent and that, nowadays i live on 100€ a month. My father gifted me 40kg of oats before i left, so i mainly eat that + i go fishing every evening and also i put out some seafood traps in the sea that i harvest every evening, yieldng me so much fish and seafood that im happy if i can share it because its too much for me alone. This diet combined with bodyweight stuff and surfing every day made my skinnyfat ass ottermode.

But of course, yeah i live off of savings mostly.

Sometimes i earn money selling cheap localc haschisch to tourists,but thats just now and then. I worked as a factory monkey for Mercedes (like my whole family) before this, but unlike everybody i know i didnt feel the need to throw rounds on the weekend, own the biggest TV available and have always ne newest iphone. So i saved around 6000€ in 4 months (mercedes pays ridiculous wages) and off i went. Will be able to live this lifestyle for around 2 more years.

Now i own less than ever and feel content and happy on a level i never felt before.

Got the idea from this video that popped in my youtube: youtube.com/watch?v=wKPa3uVddbU

>money was never a problem

yes because your dad wanted his ungrateful little shit of a son to live a good life and worked himself to death until your bitch mother decided she still wants his money, just not him anymore

Cant argue with you guys.
Im not even from USA so we dont got retarded divorce laws, she didnt get jack shit.

He was an alcoholic who had never wanted me and used me as an outlet for his frustration.

[spoiler]I spent the last day of his life playung WoW, didn't even talk to him. And I can't forgive myself. I pulled 190 kg today.... and I wonder if he'd be proud[/spoiler[

your father probably sits in his empty apartment right now wondering why he wasted his life working to provide for a son that now blames him for being a weak beta mommys boy and sides with his Ex-Wife about what an asshole he is for working hrd and providing for his family.

I do nt mean these words seriously very often, but kill yourself

I mentioned I was losing weight, and he encouraged me.

I grew up only seeing him every other weekend, and he saw me slowly getting fatter, and fatter but he wasn't involved in my life directly so there wasn't much he could do.

He did at one point have one of those in home gym workout machines, and I was working out on that everytime I was over, I was benching the whole rack before he ended up moving and leaving that thing behind, then I got really fat again. :/

He was in the military and his gut is still firm AF, while I'm pudgy. :/

No ones proud of 190 pull

oh and healthcare im german so the last time i had a problem (toothache) i just booked a ryanair ticket to germany, lived with my brother, got it fixed for free and flew back again. Cost me less than 100€ in total.

My biological dad is dead.

Do you think its worth trying to work out with my step dad who's in his 60s and doesn't get out much? I'm not really that close with him.

Irgendwie hab ich schon gemerkt, dass du deutsch bist

Yea he got me into lifting

My dad got me into lifting. He was a bodybuilder and still does the occasional show even though he's 51.

Deutschbro, come join me. Germany is shit during the winter. The only good thing is that the refugees and Turkish Untermenschen are too cold to go outside and start trouble, but that being a good side of bad weather just shows how fucked up our country is, really.

>be honorable
>be useful
>be nice

>don't be a twat
>don't be a floormat
>don't take others at face value. Shitty people are almost always people who have shitty lives and don't know how to cope.

>show people love, but not weakness. Nobody wants to see their role model shaken.

That's all it takes user

He's a good guy. Talk to him regularly.

I can't my bro, I'm trying to make rock music great again. Enjoy the surf! youtube.com/watch?v=QibgVmdQA8Q

He redpilled me on trump when I was leaning towards Hillary. I owe him my thanks

On a social level, I have quite a camp sense of humor (this isn't reflected in my sexual orientation or hobbies) is this okay? people often confuse me for being bi because of it.

great song brother, sounds like straight out of a tarantino movie

Complete your mission bro, rocknroll needs to come back!

It's great. Had dinner at his house the other day, he seemed proud that I finally brought a gf over for the first time. I talked with him about my powerlifting competition, he though tit was cool.

My dad was an absusive narcessist. Im 23 and just got over that feeling that I'm not a man. The biggest thing I can say is that, like anything, external self-improvement (masculine hobbies like lifting, fighting, repairing, etc, groups of guy friends, red-pilling yourself on women, finding mentors) all helps, but ultimatly won't solve yoyr problem. What will ultimatly make you embrace your masculinity is working through your insecurities that you aren't a man. We all are. It's litterally all in your head.

In other words, please don't overcompensate and try to become "alpha". Please don't be that guy.

This is actually really helpful user.

> please don't overcompensate and try to become "alpha". Please don't be that guy.

I actually often think/try to go down that path in order to become a man, so thanks a lot. Your advice is really eye-opening desu (not being sarcastic btw)

It's only a problem if you think it's one. I like to sew, some people will automatically think that's girly and I'm gay. I'm interested in sewing because I want to make a gambeson to wear underneath plate when I finally get enough dosh to get into armored combat sports. The point is people are notorious for being brash and stupid. This is only a problem when what they think of you is truly bad. Like guys who love talking about their interests in anime about little girls. To a lot of people that screams pedophile, and generally you don't want that kind of talk going on, unless your a no life NEET then it doesn't matter.

No problem. It isn't necessary to stop doing masculine things but they can't be reasonably allowed on for self esteem. There is no end game with fighting to win, nothing victory (breaking a personal record lifting record, winning a fight, getting a raise, getting lajd 5 more time) will ever permanently satisfy you.

What I can say is the men I've met who toil in the gym, spend hours on their appearance a day and try to pick up as many women as possible with their new car arn't men. They aren't "alpha" because they're just as much slaves to female validation as the spineless Nice Guy. So please try to ignore that bullshit. If you want good advice about women check out Coach Corey Wayne. Red-Pilled without the rampant insecurity.

Kekked

>The only way he sees that a person should live is work 14 hours per day

Are you a neet by any chance? Or not earning enough to move out? Do you still live with your parents?

I work 12 hours a day 4 days a week which includes an hour travel either way. My brother is lazy and works 28 hours a week and lives with my parents because he wants an easy ride. If you're like him you should stop being a leech; I'd be disappointed if my son was a lazy asshole too.

BTW I've worked 6am - 6pm today and I'm about to finish and immediately go to my boxing class for 90 minutes. Your Dad is right you fucking neet.

You sound like you need therapy

I really wish I could of seen those posts before that faggot became Peter the deleter.

Working 14 hours a day 5 times a week comes out to 70 hours a week. That's fine if you want and like to do that, but if you call other people pussies for wanting to have a life you're just going to sound like you're an overcompensating faggot.

My Dad had a troubled childhood which an angry abusive Father who got better as he got older.

My own Dad was similar as an adult; too much beer, drunken arguments with my Mum constantly and too quick to burn his bridges. He always made the wrong choices and regretted them but was too stubborn to admit them.

I saw alot of those traits in myself as I got older and I overcame them.

My Dad is a better man now he is older and he realizes his mistakes and he has made up for them; I think he feels immense guilt inside. I'm a Father too and I made sure I never repeated those mistakes with my own son and in 9 years I've never lost my temper with him; and people say I'm "too hard on myself" and I'm my own worst critic but that's because I wanted to make sure I never had the same flaws my parents had.

Nobody is perfect and life is a journey; my father cared and loved me and my brothers but he was a prisoner to his own nature; he only caused problems for himself.

He has a good relationship with me now but my brothers blame him for all their problems; one is an alcoholic and one is a serious pothead who at 32 years old does nothing but play vidya, work and get stoned. No girlfriend or friends in his life.

I'm a boxer and I got over my drug/alcohol addictions 2 years ago; now I'm trying to keep winning fights in boxing not just for myself but for my Father so he can be proud of one of his kids. My Dad always played it safe and never took any risks career wise and settled; and my brothers are lazy and also just "settle". My Dad is proud as hell to see me box and win and he is an old man and I want to keep making him proud before he dies one day. I'm taking him to see some boxing next week; he'll have a couple beers (he only drinks once every few months now) and I'll drink diet pepsi all night from the bar. I love my Dad and I can relate to him. He is just a man and like all men he is flawed and has demons; but he did good the last few years and he'd do anything to help.

>"Why are you going to the gym now?"
>"Since when did you become Mr Athletic?"
>"Still no six pack? Are you even trying?"
>"Eating again, Cellulite?"

I'd be inspired if my dad wasn't a lardo himself

What kind of man is he? I want my son to surpass me in every way but I know people who would always want to be the alpha male and be jel if their kids grew up to be better men.

For the most part he means well and wants me to surpass him. His put-down humour can just be a bit hard to swallow sometimes since he's completely given up on himself in almost all senses, so it lacks any sound of encouragement

You are very immature.
Your judgement of this user seems to derive from the displeasure your brother causes you.
Working more hours and living alone do not make you inherently better.

could you beat him up

kek, he looks like my dad

Only saw my dad like once every 5 years or so, I try to initiate meeting up or something every few months but he never replies or says he's busy. Gave up trying to see him since my birthday in July as he never sent a card or even a message on facebook.

He played semi-professional football and is sort of into bodybuilding but I never really see him to discuss anything.

Reading this thread makes me have heavy feels for what could of been if I'd of had a father or even a grandparent who bothered with me so appreciate that your father probably does love you and was around you whingey fucks.

My father was always there for me and my mother, and he worked his ass off to provide for us. He started humbly, simple manual labour, and through his dedication and skill he soon rose through the ranks and had more and more responsibilities.

The highest value he taught me was to help those in need and I have lived this value all my life. Sometimes I have lived it too much, draining myself to the point of burnout, and I have seen him do the same to himself. He always helped me when everything became too much and I tried to be there for him, too. He taught me never to expect gratitude, but to do things out of conviction. I have followed this motto all my life.

When he died of an aggressive cancer about four years ago, everything changed. My family stopped talking to each other, preferring to fight among each other who should get to work on the grave, who would have to do what, who did too much and who loved him more. It would have broken his heart.
He was not around when I married my girlfriend - the only girlfriend I ever had - and it broke mine.
During the months leading up to his death, everyone focused on him, something he did not like, while he just did what was necessary - not the least working on the graves of other relatives we had lost. He did not want to deal with all this sudden attention.
My son was born after his death. He never got to see him, never got to be a granddad. My son is still young, but he understands there was someone who would have loved him utterly. He does not understand why he can't see him. I find it hard to deal with this.

My father never lifted with me. He played quash, he was active and he never was fat, save for his last few days when there was no way for him to control anything.

I would give anything to get my father back. Even if some of you feel your father does not care for you, please show him your gratitude. Not because you expect something out of it, just because it is the right thing to do.

How old are you now? Are you ok?

9 days and its been a year since he ded

sad days :/

He has no interest in fitness to speak of. Just an old burned out hippy coasting through his golden years. Smokes, drinks, used to do a shitload of drugs but only smokes pot now.

We're on decent terms though. I can't really get mad at him for anything (except throwing away my collection of books when I moved out, that stupid fuck.) I do kind of pity him though. He's never really made anything of his life, but he's comfortable, so that's what matters in the end.

Died when I was a kid and ever since my life has been a joke. Fuck you dad.

We haven't spoken with each other after he told me he voted for Hillary Clinton.

He doesn't lift, but he does a lot more cardio than I do.

died when I was 19, i'm early 30's now
>tfw dad never saw me get rich
>tfw dad never saw me get yolked
>tfw never having an older man to guide me through early adulthood
>tfw he missed me becoming redpilled
>tfw he won't be there when I get married
>tfw he'll never meet his grandchildren
>tfw when 12 years later I still dream about him (last night) and that I love him and miss him so much
>tfw you realize you've never delt with your father's passing and stayed busy and became an alcoholic/addict trying to escape the pain
>tfw you sober up and have a rush of emotions regarding your father
>tfw dad would be more proud of you for sobering up than making millions.
>tfw I realize how much his passing effected me and I should get professional help.

fuck it, everyone dies YOLO

A month or so before he died he told me he mirin and I got a good frame and I'm put together right.

Love you dad ;_;

Live in the same house, but literally the only thing we say to each other is hi in the morning. I think he knows im a failure but doesnt say anything.

Feel your pain bro went trough the same.

The last sentence doesn't sound healthy especially since denial is only the first stage.

ya, I was being ironic with the last sentence.

>he voted for Hillary Clinton
>He doesn't lift
Why am i not surprised?

>Lifting will give you a heart attack
>Lifting will destroy your back
>Lifting will cause you to be fucked in the future
>Protein shakes aren't real food
>You need your vitamins

Yet when this fucker has guests around he's like "look at all these kids, lifting is the new craze. It's good though isn't it, as they get fit and strong.
Literally the biggest troll I've ever come across. Still love him though :p.

he's a depressed, skinny fat, alcoholic who wants to die, but is too pussy to kill himself. All he does is get drunk in bed, listen to sad songs, and watch murder and crime shows.

I avoid talking to him as much as possible as he only serves to bring down my mood.

I still love him and he does support me, but he's a huge faggot who would rather complain about his problems than fix them. I think that's why he supports me, he gets satisfaction from seeing me succeed.

Always wanted to lift with my pops. I'm 26 and he's 72. He's gone to the gym 5 days a week for 50+ years. He had some serious heart surgery a few years ago but still lifts. He just does machine work though. I don't think he wants to lift with me because it would make him a little jealous that his best days are behind him. We talk about gym stuff all the time though. I love that old bastard.

Sometimes I tell him how it's awesome and he tells me about the babyweight dumbbells he oocasionally moves.

He neglects legs but lifts often after work. He works hard but also drinks and smokes too much. Used to do a lot more drugs but now I think he just smokes weed. He was given a lot of amazing opportunities as a kid but didn't take them. All his siblings are doctors, lawyers, etc but he just does construction. Found out though that he was abused though. My aunt says he might have been molested by their stepdad and was neglected by their mother.

Overall, he's a really good guy. No idea how he puts up with my mom.

Pretty meh honestly.

We're cool and watch football together, talk (surface deep topics usually, occasionally politics), and that's about it. He was a pretty shit father growing up though. He was verbally abusive to me, mainly during or after sporting events. He was that stereotypical crazy parent in the stands at their child's game.

He beat my brother/was verbally abusive and my mother and father had a poor relationship, probably leaning towards divorce before my mom got sick. It's weird because this only happened once in a while. Some days (most) he was happy and cheerful, but when he had a bad day boy look out. I'm thinking now maybe he was an alcoholic or un-diagnosed bipolar, but who knows.

However, despite that he really is a good guy. My mom got breast cancer and during her illness he stepped up and took care of her every day, while taking care of two kids and grandparents. He never once complained, just did his best to help us all. After mom passed fighting for about a year, my Dad became very subdued. He was depressed, but now, about 5 years later, he is calm personality wise and very mellow. This could be him getting older (61), medication side effects, or both. I am turning 23 this year.

Overall, I love my Dad. I really do. But I don't see my relationship getting deeper or more personal than it already is. I have a hard time forgetting about the past, and as gay guy it is hard to really connect to my very conservative father. We'll see what happens, but I'm hoping for the best.

I know what you mean. I'm 25 now and dad died 1,5 year ago. It was a complete shock to everyone. He was such a great person, a loving father and a true friend. Every single day something reminds me of him.
And yes, all this you said, this hurts so much. People I will get to know will never know him. Things I will achieve, he will never see. Things I wanted to say to him, he will never hear.

All I can do now is strive to be a good man, keeping alive what he taught me.

Somebody just got out of their Gen Psych class

If Veeky Forums guys are anything like the sloots from /soc/ i have fucked then their father relationship is horrible

Are you arnies mexican kid?

make him proud, user.

In my eyes my father is the greatest man alive. We love eachother very much it's great.

>complains about muslims in germany
>lives in Marocco