What were the greatest moments in space exploration? For such a cool subject it never gets any love on Veeky Forums

What were the greatest moments in space exploration? For such a cool subject it never gets any love on Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record
youtube.com/watch?v=nOEMcT1AP4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=Osl9sDYDPqs
youtube.com/watch?v=7O4V7JfeTSU
youtube.com/watch?v=CHMIfOecrlo
vimeo.com/171954101
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Right. The thread isn't about WWII, holocaust, nazis, commies or military in general. My bad.

Space exploration is really cool, but I guess it doesn't get much attention on Veeky Forums because many people immediately think of the future, as opposed to the past or something.

I thought sending a spacecraft onto Venus was the coolest, didn't the Russians do it? I heard it immediately was melted away though.

The best era was between 1961 and 1975. We're still waiting for the renaissance and it looks like it's coming.

Are Martians humans?

We sorely need a /ww/ and a /hum/ containment board. Then again, considering this is merely /pol2/, I'd understand if there's no impetus in administration to actively try and improve this board.

>might be just in time to colonize mars
>but it also might be colonized by capitalist shitheads who create an ancap shithole out of mars

Hopefully. And they will make Mars more beautiful than ever.

No point in going, it's a poisonous hellscape.

>What were the greatest moments in space exploration?
The greatest moment was when king nigger dismantled NASA, scrapped the shuttles, and made it into a global warming pseudoscience agency. To be more precise, it was the greatest embarrassment.

The shuttles were scrapped under bush you fucking moron
>scientific agencies shouldn't study science

Cletus, fuck off with your politics, this isn't /pol/

The greatest moments are, without a doubt, still ahead of us.

And Humanities.

Anyone else get intense feels when thinking about this? It'll outlive us all. When humanity has reached post-humanity or whatever lies ahead, it'll still be put there, a record of earth that will exist until the ends of time.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record

Unless an asteroid hits it or something

There is something inherently beautiful in the first moon landing, even if our reasons for doing so weren't as beautiful.

Why dont you shut the fuck up and let me be romantic for a moment

>dismantled NASA
>cut out the bureaucratic middle man and allowed private companies to flourish on their own accord.
Just another example of right-wing tards going against everything they claim to support when it's a negro claiming credit

>4 million years

And it was going so well

>for millions of years the moon is just a light in the sky that gives us the tides
>we learn that it's actually a physical object
>we fucking stand on it
Moon landing was one of the most kino moments in human history

The shuttles were a meme that should have never been created in the first place.

Very true, damn they were cool as fuck though

30 years wasted. Remember by that date we were supposed to have scientific station on the Moon. Congratulations you made a plane fly in space. Have fun visiting only low Earth orbit. How many steps backwards have we made?

And did we claim it in the name of a nation, or a people? No, we may have planted an American flag, but we came in peace for ALL mankind

I don't mind. American space program is a very interesting story. I love reading about that but mostly about the people themselves than rather than technical details. 55 men all very distinct, their daily lives, training, missions.

One of my favorite infographics. Too bad it doesn't include a list of people who were chosen as astronauts but didn't make it to fly in any missions.

so much of it is blacked from public knowledge its a shitty topic

What hasn't been revealed? Even the Soviet program which was notoriously secretive has little to no secrets anymore.

Any good documentaries about the first moon landing?

When we Left Earth is quote good but it's all-encompassing. If you want only some documentaries about Apollo 11 there's one about some guy trying to reach reclusive Neil Armstrong. But there's plenty of more conventional ones.

youtube.com/watch?v=nOEMcT1AP4Q

This one is about moonwalkers in general but it's praised by everyone.
youtube.com/watch?v=Osl9sDYDPqs

Or you can watch From the Earth to the Moon by HBO. It's a live action miniseries but it feels like a documentary series.

youtube.com/watch?v=7O4V7JfeTSU

The GOAT

youtube.com/watch?v=CHMIfOecrlo

Invention of rockets, and the first guided rockets is obviously where it start.

Then we have the moon landing and we all know who made the Saturn V and why it had to be him.

Invention of rockets? Well that all started with Goddard in 1926. It's a long story.

The Saturn V is honestly still one of the most beautiful vehicles ever created
Something this massive launching skywards on it's own power, no lift or buoyancy to help it, is just mindboggling

>you were born too late to see an Apollo launch in person

if there is a manned mars mission we'll get to see the launch vehicles for those though
So fingers crossed

Another set of lunar missions is first I guess. Hopefully just as small stop on the way to Mars. But if they're quick maybe some of the remaining 5 moonwalkers will see our return to the Moon (don't count on any of them living to see us land on Mars).

sadly the more depression option of humanity having to say "we used to have people who walked on the moon" is seeming more likely

>you'll never walk on the moon

That they were.

>What were the greatest moments in space exploration?

Von Braun's V2 test becomes first manmade object in space.

German rocket engineers and some equipment disperse to USA and USSR after WWII, US gets the better haul.

Soviets orbit Sputnik.

US Discoverer I finds Van Allen belts.

Kennedy decides to set a goal for the US to catch the Soviets in space exploration, far enough out to give plenty of time. Selects and announces a manned moon landing.

Gagarin first man in space.

Carpenter first man to manually control spacecraft in flight.

Gemini gives world first spacecraft, capable of fully maneuvering in orbit, rendezvous with another craft, docking, changing orbit, etc.

Apollo lunar flybys and landing.

Soyuz provides world with long-term spacecraft design.

Mir builds on Salyut and Skylab missions to place a long-term station in orbit.

Those strike me as the highlights of manned flight. I'll let somebody else work on the unmanned end, I guess.

Needs the Shuttle and ISS.

And also pic related.

>not chosen to fly

I often wonder what would have happened if the Air Force had not cancelled the Man in Space program they started. It would have matched up with the Soviet military manned program that flew alternate Salyut missions, and would have kept the Gemini spacecraft flying, adding a couple of remarkably conceived 'Big Gemini" capsules to ferry larger crews into orbit.

As it worked out, the various missions that the USAF had in mind could be achieved more easily by spy satellites, or turned out not to be worth doing after all.

But it would have been interesting.

>itt muh space rock

Invention of rockets predate Goddard by quite a bit.

>Chinese gunpowder rockets

shitty little toys desu, rocketry became serious business when tsiolkovsky and goddard began their work.

I don't think so. ISSS is "super Mir, not a milestone. The shuttle was a step backward, not a great moment. An important moment, but not a great one.

Maybe. If it leads anywhere, it'll join the list. Too soon to say.

Also, I wanted to stay inside 25 year rule as much as I could.

I agree, but that's a different statement than "Goddard invented rockets."

true nuff

but hopefully, my grandchildren will live on it

>first reusable spacecraft
>first untethered spacewalk

Both milestones.

The shuttle is generally considered to have been a failure, in that it had a higher cost per ton to LEO than disposable spacecraft.

If you want to brag about something, brag about the Saturn V, and how when the Soviets tried to copy it, they ended up getting off one of the largest non-nuclear explosions in history.

>everyone always remembers Von Braun
>nobody ever remembers Korolev

such a shame

>leds drop dis nayme so iviribody knowz i smard

Everyone knows him you fucking brainlet.

there's a reason the space shuttle was described as the flying coffin among astronauts: way to many things broke routinely during flight and couldn't be properly fixed before the next launch.
It's a small miracle it took so long before Columbia happened.

go ask the average person who Von Braun is and who Korolev is

you sure? He's literally the biggest name in the Soviet space program. Only Gagarin comes close with popular recognition.

Sadly only among space enthusiasts, in popular culture he's way below Gagarin

I tried making a WWII general over the summer, but mods kept pruning it, despite their success and, surprisingly, actually pretty tame behavior. Oh well, but hey, if I see enough demand I'll try making them again.

No generals, those just shit everything up, the mods were in the right.

>Those just shit everything up
>30+ fucking WWII military and /pol/-bait Holocaust/racist threads everyday

Would suicide be easier if I mailed you the gun?

gentlemen, this is a space history threat, could we keep it to space history?

Venera missions were pretty neat, but I do wonder if it would be possible, utilizing modern materials, to create a lander capable of surviving prolonged periods on the surface and sending back higher definition images

>tfw there are only five Apollo moonwalkers still alive
>tfw your favorite one, John Young, died less than a week ago
>tfw you will probably never meet an Apollo astronaut

It's all a hoax, user.

Don't kid yourself, user. This thread is a hollow, same-fagging dead post between three, maybe four people and yourself. No one on this board cares about space history, not unless it invokes Stukas on the moon or if Hitler did nothing wrong. Pack it up and get on with your life.

L I F T I N G B O D Y

Buzz refuses to die as long as even one moon landing denier is still alive

>It's all a hoax

>CNN

>tfw you will never BE an astronaut

>This thread

Our souls are weighed down by gravity.

>it’s all a hoax

*blocks your path*

Can't really blame him.

How the fuck do you even deny something that can be proven with a fucking telescope?

>I tried making a (anything) general
Don't do this

Don’t listen to the fags OP, this is a good thread

Why is this so discouraged?

*teleports behind you*

Nothing personnel kid

>the year is 2243
>buzz is 313 years old
>is in constant, never ending pain
>his organs have failed centuries ago
>immune system has shut down, his flesh is rotting from his bones
>yet he cannot die, for one /x/-phile still lives, questioning whether or not the landing ***really*** happened
this is the future you chose

because we don't want the entire board becoming generals, like what happened to int

Generals always ALWAYS devolve into edrama shit and circlejerkery. Plus, its against the principles of an imageboard.

If you've ever been to a general in any board, you'd realize that they all devolve into an endless cycle of namefagging, shitposting and waifufaggotry.

Warhammer 2.3k

look at the fucking katawa shoujo general on Veeky Forums and tell me that generals are a good idea

Lots of reasons, though mainly they tend to degrade overtime and they tend to attract trips. If you think a subject is worth discussing frequently its usually better to come up with a fresh topic and go from there. General's aren't a bad idea in concept, but never underestimate the ability of this website's user base to make things terrible.

>the god emporer of mankind is actually buzz

>its usually better to come up with a fresh topic and go from there
That's what made treadhead general (tanks and shit) over on /k/ work so well. The OP always started off with a couple detailed writeups about a single vehicle followed by news related to the thread (major orders, programs, etc.) to stimulate discussion.

The only good general I've ever seen that does the "normal" general thing of just kind of existing with no prompts or anything is the milsurp general (also on /k/). Somehow it's avoided all the pitfalls of the generals despite the AR and AK generals being effective containment threads for trips.

vimeo.com/171954101

glorious glorious glorious

A sudden blow: the great wings beating still
Above the staggering girl, her thighs caressed
By the dark webs, her nape caught in his bill,
He holds her helpless breast upon his breast.

How can those terrified vague fingers push
The feathered glory from her loosening thighs?
And how can body, laid in that white rush,
But feel the strange heart beating where it lies?

A shudder in the loins engenders there
The broken wall, the burning roof and tower
And Agamemnon dead.
Being so caught up,
So mastered by the brute blood of the air,
Did she put on his knowledge with his power
Before the indifferent beak could let her drop?

>AR and AK generals being effective containment threads for trips.

They get out sometimes, but mostly effective.

>The only good general I've ever seen that does the "normal" general thing of just kind of existing with no prompts or anything is the milsurp general
Its because milsurp costs a decent chunk of cash to get into now, while also requiring a decent bit of background knowledge in order not to be ripped off by some kike.

>Not fast enough to overcome galactic drift
Lol dream on faggot.

>We are attempting to survive our time so we may live into yours.

best timeline

Oh shit you reminded me of a super weird dream I had a few nights ago.
I think I was talking with someone, or I was witnessing a conversation go on somewhere.
Anyways the people conversation were taking about the voyager and how far it'll reach and where it is now, and then one of them says "Should we really have put that out there? Did we put the right information on those discs?"
It was such a weird question, but it came to mind as soon as you brought up the voyager.

This is going in the ideology-ball folder, thank you