QTDDTOT

didnt see one in the catalog

I think I did my deadlifts with poor form during my last workout, because since then I have been having slight back pain

should I refrain from doing deadlifts for a little while or should I keep doing them with low weights? Or something completely else?

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BM9Rxr0gc5-/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if it's muscle pain, you're probably fine, just go light next time
if it's pain in your spine, take a few weeks off deadlifts and go light after that

I'm new to this, so I am not sure which one it is. How do I know the difference? thanks btw

if its a sharp or shooting pain its most likely your spine, like if you do a certain movement and feel a pinch

if its sore its most likely a muscle or nerve

its impossible to tell from someone over the internet, go see a doctor if you are worried

I started cutting at 185 pounds at 2400 calories for a few weeks and got down to 180. Then I moved down to 2100 calories for a few weeks and got down to 173

Now I have adjusted my calories to 1900. I'm 5'11 and ~172 pounds. This isn't too low, right?

My lifts have still been slowly going up and I have had no lack of energy

What's a respectable weight for OHP for somebody that's only been lifting for 2-3 months?

I went from 10 years of inactivity (Literally just laid around, played video games) to lifting.

Worked my way up to doing 3x6 with 50lbs of weight (Bar is another 15 I guess), just curious if that's decent progress or if I should get good.

I'm another newbie so I can't give you any advice, but I can give you a frame of reference. I'm just in my second month and like you I was sedentary and played vidya.

The OHP is by far my worst lift. I'm doing 5x5. I started with 45, made it to 60 and stalled, then have been going back and forth from 55 and 60.

Every other lift is making great progress, I just squatted my first pl8 today, but the OHP is a killer for a beginner.

Do you need to cool down after a lifting session?

I remember stretching before/after any general exercise used to be the recommendation when I was a kid, but I've since heard that it actually makes you way more prone to injury.

I did one rep at 95 earlier, that's close to 1pl8 right? But that was rough. Had most of the trouble getting it up to my shoulders.

1 plate is 135

1pl8 is 135 (45 bar + 45 plate + 45 plate = 135)

Ah, right, the bar's 45lbs isn't it. Mine's only 15 so that makes it weird.

I don't have enough weight for 135, I should go to some thrift stores and try to find more.

What is this part called and how to I strenghten it? I try doing squats but that part of my back always gives me a small shock when I land the bar on it and it really fucks me up

I had to cut my workout short yesterday and only did bench and squat but my lower traps still feel like I worked them. What is happening?

Traps. They are worked by a shrugging motion

You shouldn't be hitting the bar against your traps/scapula/spine at any point

You worked your lower traps

I thought that's where you're supposed to lay the bar on? And by shrugging motion you mean OHP?

Traps, and you hit them with deadlifts, shrugs, overhead press and so on. It probably doesn't hurt from being too weak. More likely you have the bar on your spine rather than your traps.

The only thing that comes to mind is pinning my shoulder blades together to bench. I guess that's isometric work.

Yes, but gently. Resting it. Not hitting it

And I mean a shrug like moving your shoulders up, like the end of an OHP or Deadlift

Bump please

Right now I'm doing a routine with a bro that involves 4 biceps/4 triceps exercices Day 1, 4 chest/ 4 back Day 2, and 4 legs/4 shoulder on Day 3. We do no squats or deadlifts. Everyday 30 mins of abs. Did I just get fucked by broscience? Should I:
>Do the SS faggot etc, etc
or
>Introduce some deadlifts and squats in the corresponding categories?

Wait you're supposed TO SHRUG IN A DEADLIFT?!

Godammit I've been doing it all wrong.

>It probably doesn't hurt from being too weak. More likely you have the bar on your spine rather than your traps.

It doesn't hurt, I just get these shocks on my traps when I place the bar on it, it doesn't hurt but it is noticable. After doing squats thought my arms get numb and tingly around here

>Wait you're supposed TO SHRUG IN A DEADLIFT?!
No you're not SUPPOSED TO
you can as an extra, but it's not 100% needed.

The diet is fine as long as you're getting your protein and you have energy. The only questionable thing is how low you really want to cut , 172 seems light.

Or option C:

>kill your friend

Yeah well but I wanna keep lifting after that. Besides, I'd rather know what routine to follow before getting in prison

You're way too new to benefit from a routine like that. Either start with SS/SL or another similar linear progression program. Read the sticky

You don't want to be feeling any tingling or numbness associated with your spine. Try squeezing your upper back together more and resting the bar on the muscle rather than bone

And yes, it would help to slightly shrug at the top of a deadlift

I will probably end up being like 165 when things are said and done. I'm going for abs after a couple years of lifting and a long bulking period. The guy in my picture is 160 at 5'10

SS for sure. Your/his routine sucks.

Thanks.

I store too much fat on legs/hips so I'm perma T-REX mode, should I just do strength training for legs instead of hypetrophy?

What are the Veeky Forums books?

Sun and Steel or if you mean knowledge, Starting Strength

I would appreciate more opinions

I'll answer any other questions anons ask as I wait

>Fitness questions on the fitness board don't deserve their own thread
>/r9k/, /adv/, /pol/, /b/ cancer constantly shitting up the board

Why are you such beta faggots?

>but I won't get a response

So bump your thread until you do.

So you want to shit up the board with threds like this:
>OP: Help my OHP is lagging. What should I do?
>user 1: Eat more
>user 2: Improve your form
>OP: Okay thanks
>dubs, reply to this thread or your mother dies etc.

Is doing goblet squats and lunges every other workout enough for legs?

Been doing greyskull for 3 months
These are my first deload/stalls. Failed to get 5 reps in the final set.
85KG Squat - 3x5
41KG OHP - 3x5
63.5KG Bench - 3x5

Am I fucked? Is this way below average weight to stall at?

Eat more
Improve your form
reply to this thread or your mother dies

If you can program them for progressive overload sure.
But you probably can't. So grab a barbell.
Errybody is diffirent. Rest up, eat more and smesh it.

I have adjustable dumbbells so I can do progressive overload on them, I can do 1pl8 squats with them but I haven't got the money to add more weight (homegym) and as such I switched to goblet and lunges

It's time for bed but I need to eat 600 calories. What eat?

>shitting up the board with on topic threads

Yes I do want that, dumb frogposter.

can I walk up/down stairs for an hour a day for cardio or do I have to take rest days?

...are you including the bar, user? A standard bar is about 44lbs (20 kg). You include the bar in your weight.

So if I OHP 94lbs, it's a 44 lb bar with 25lbs on each side.

That's how you're meant to count your weight. Anybody who tells you otherwise is either trolling or an idiot.

Also, 94lbs is decent. Try to eventually get it to 1pl8 (44lb bar and 45lbs on either side) but that WILL take some time. It's a milestone to strive for, though.

When I do bent over db rows I just can't seem to keep my knees bent, would doing them stiff legged with slightly less ROM do any long term harm?

I'm cutting till I have visible abs now.
For my next bulk, how much kg should you add to your weight before cutting again?

Unless you have some injury impinging your ability to bend at the knee and/or hip, you need to do less weight and get your form right.

Learn to brace your core around a proper deep breath. You can "sink in" and feel solid.

For some reason I am having huge cravings right now and I just want to binge but I know I'll hate myself after.

How do I stop myself from binging? I'm holding back right now but it feels like shit

Should I be feeling 0 muscle tightness in my lower back after a st of deadlifting? It only tightens after sets, not during. It goes away after a couple minutes of resting/sitting or just lying on my back. Will probably work on my form on the same weight.

How good are tomatoes for cutting? Since I started lifting, I've been eating more of them straight from the fridge.

Go get a shit ton of veggies. Get 100 calories worth of carrots, cabbage, whatever you have around. Eat a mouthful of whatever you were going to binge on (3 potato chips, 1 bite of chocolate, etc.) Eat all of the goddamn vegetables. Eat another mouthful of whatever you were going to binge on. You got off easy this time.

Has anyone had DOMS in their lats/rhomboids/teres area from deadlifts? I've never been sore here before and I'm just kind of confused.

And I deadlifted on Wednesday, I was fine Thursday and now it hurts today (Friday). I don't really know what else it could be.

I have severe ADD. I know vaccines don't cause autism. Its the mercury in them that does. If I inject myself with micro doses of mercury can I develop autism? I just want to be able to hyper focus on shitnl.

Don't know how much my experience is worth but I never felt any doms in my lats after DL's in my first couple of weeks. You're not even supposed to be working the lats during diddlys

So i have a fucked up lower back and it hurts a lot to do squats, there is some exercise i could do instead of them that dont put so much strain at the lower back? I was thinking about leg press or something like that.
Also, beside deadlifts, could you guys recommend some exercises to develop lower back strenght?

Static stretches before lifting are bad because your muscles are cold. After your workout while your muscles are warm, there are some static stretch routines in the sticky you can check out, but rolling your muscles is generally the preferred after care.

You might want to invest in a standard Olympic bar. The 45lb ones are more sturdy and reliable once you get to heavy weight.

I did once but that was from lifting the bar weird when putting more plates on.

What the other guy said: non-static (forgot the word lol) stretching before lifting, and foam rolling + a bit of static stretching after.

>not working lats during DL's
whew get a load of this guy

Don't do anything that hurts, I know you don't want to but it's best to rest everything until your back heals. You use your back for every exercise. I had a back injury last year and just prolonged my recovery for months by continuing to lift. Resting completely works so quick but it's hard for people to do.

For lower back strength back extensions are great.

In my experience losing 1% bodyweight per week is what you should aim for if you don't want to compromise muscle mass.

What's your height, weight and bf%? Are you bulking or cutting? What's your recovery like? Do you sleep well? Are you stressed?

Also interested in height and weight, and how long you been training Your stats are pretty close to mine. (80kg, 27yo, 6'1", training for 5 months)

I refrained from doing curls for so long that I think they're now my weakest link.

How do I isolate my biceps without looking like a curl bro?

Just do curls. Do hammer curls and preacher curls after every work out.

Not doing curls is a meme.

close grip chin ups, or just do some fucking curls
>Curls are only for fags

>Le curls are gay meme

Can I estimate how well I would do in OHP if I do dumbell presses instead?

I don't think you can really isolate your biceps properly without curls
Nuffin wrong with curls

Chin ups are the closest you get, but even that isn't truly isolated afaik

Not very accurately. Why do you want to know?

Limiting factor will be technical if it's a new movment for you.

Just want to compare how well I do and estimate how good my progress is

Finally started logging foods eaten. Having trouble logging exercises, the tracker only has very broad categories. Is there a good exercise calculator to figure out calories burned?

I'm having some light lower back pain (almost a numb sort of feeling) immediately after finishing deadlifts. But this will quickly go away after the workout and does not resurface.

Is this something to be concerned with? Form check needed?

You should be able to OHP quite a lot more but to start with you probably won't because it's an unusual movement for you

Assume fuck all if you are cutting.

If you are bulking assume loads.

There isn't an accurate measure of how much energy is used for different exercise.

Front squat form check pls?

instagram.com/p/BM9Rxr0gc5-/

Ty in advance

Not to be an utter fag but I use a Fitbit Blaze. It used to log my heartbeat / calorie expenditure really well but after like a year it's not really detecting my heart rate very well any more. Syncs with My Fitness Pal though and it's a pretty good for a general feel for what I'm burning if I wear it right when I'm training.

Watch the weight distribution in your feet. You should be powering up from your heels.

What % effort was that? Looks pretty good to me and if it feels comfortable I wouldn't bother trying to fix what aint broke

Pushing through the midfoot with a front squat isn't that bad unless your body shape makes you prone to rocking forward, which isn't evident from the video.

I have mild tonsilitis. Seems to be working itself out without antibiotics but I had to cancel deadlifts this morning. Feeling a bit better. How long should I rest? I have a HIIT session on sunday.

Do you think oly shoes will help with this? Was thinking of getting some powerlifts

Not him but I struggle with weight distribution on back squats. How to fix? My heels stay on the ground, but I don't really feel like I'm pushing through them specifically vs the rest of my foot.

I probably couldve gotten 5, maybe 6 reps

What the fuck are plates? I've seen people say they can do 2pl8 or 5pl8 ect. What is it?

Begginer lifter here

Whats the bodyweight counterpart to Greyskull?

Gonna be away from the gym for 2 days and I need some sort of work out in.

Fair comment (midfoot etc)

I just use some flat canvass shoes desu, ones with basically no soles. See above though.

Lower the weight and slow the tempo of your lift. Practice makes perfect!

A plate = a 20kg weight that sits on a barbel. 1pl8 refers to one plate on either side of the barbel, 60kg total (bar is 20kg)

1pl8 = 60kg
2pl8 = 100kg
3pl8 = 140kg
etc etc

Yeah I usually lift in random joggers, but barefoot when I squat or dead.

Thanks for your help guys!

Thanks man. I think i will take a week off.
But im seriously thinking about dont doing squats anymore. Its like the second or third time this happens.
Sad thing. I really like squats.

BW Squats
BW Push Ups / Dips if you can find somewhere to do them
BW Pull Ups / Chin Ups / Inverted rows
BW Nordic/Ghetto GHR

2-4x8-15 (or 2-3xMax on harder exercises)

What's the best progressive overload for abs? Simple 3x8 crunches followed by planking longer times?

hanging leg raises and ab-wheel roll out thingys are best, i enjoy decline situps weighted too

How much weight should i expect to gain in my first bulk at a 400 kcal surplus? On the first weeks i mean.
I hear about people who gain 4 or 5 pounds when they start and then begin to gain slowly. Im a ex-fat so im kinda afraid of my first bulk

Been dieting and lifted for 12 weeks now. Seeing results, stomach is noticeably smaller but love handles don't really seem to be going down much. Will they naturally go away as I continue or is there a specific lift I can do that helps with losing the fat there?

500cal/day surplus means gaining 1 pound per week

>believing in spot reduction
>not reading the sticky
kys

Been lifting 6 months and dropped 3 stone. Abs are starting to come through. Skin still curves around the hips and look like handles. Once you've been fat you will always think yourself as fat. Stop worrying and keep going.

How much more mass would I put on eating at a 250 calorie surplus vs maintenance?

dieting takes awhile.

i just want to lose another 20 pounds why does it take half a year

UK government recommends 2lbs per week fat loss is safe. That should take you to about 2.5 months to lose 20 lbs.

Are you just dieting? Are you excercising or have you changed your exercise to burn more calories? What's your food like?

Hex bar vs barbell deadlifts?

well I found my maitnence calories with no activity to be around 2500

and I've been eating at an average of ~2000 calories for the past two months. And, I can tell I've lost weight, but I haven't picked up a scale yet, so I guess I dunno how much I'm really losing.

and I do light work outs at home