Vertical Jump

Any good programs/routines to increase vertical jump for basketball?

Other urls found in this thread:

msuathletics.ru/books/bible/vert_jump_bible.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=7rM8ndtKgwg
youtube.com/watch?v=aX7QjuveBnY
youtube.com/watch?v=XxGpbHEyEVk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

get a negroplasty or stop being a manlet

box jumps and keep trying to hit the rim amigo

google vertical jump bible

or here msuathletics.ru/books/bible/vert_jump_bible.pdf

all you need and ever will need about v jumping

Holy shit, not op but thank you

Power cleans

>jump squat
Isn't this shit bad for your knees?

in my experience vert is mostly genetic, but can be trained somewhat (read: a couple of inches tops) by doing some highly explosive stuff like plyo and the classics (sn/cj)

I think what I've noticed is that most of these people who report gains in a few weeks months simply learned how to jump properly rather than actually gained any jumping power, if that makes sense. There's a little bit of form to getting a really high jump and if you're untrained you may have lots of genetic potential but no idea how to express it (likewise you could have great technique but fucked genetically so you've hit your ceiling)

I would also stay away from suggesting that basketball players or weightlifters develop a great vert. I think people without it never really make it very far in the first place so you're only seeing the cream of the crop.

Rippletits says unlucky genetics has already how high you can vertical jump

I don't know where your experience comes from but why wouldn't you be able to train explosiveness/speed/muscles needed to gain more than a couple of inches?
youtube.com/watch?v=7rM8ndtKgwg I found this video and while the kid is young, he still jumps way higher after six months of training

my experience is more from uni age rugby, but the coaches believed it was mostly a result of your fast/slow twitch fibre distribution.

if I had to guess with that lifter I'd suggest the fact that he was 14 meant a combination of puberty and better efficiency/form could easily lead to that much

I don't think you'll see anywhere near as pronounced progress on someone older who already knows how to jump, as you take out a lot of the confounding factors (which is what my coaches have all believed as well)

There are mainly four things you can do to increase your VJ:

Strengthen your body (mostly posterior chain) to allow for better force transfer.
>Deadlifts, Squats, Pull Ups etc.
This does not necessarily improve your ability to generate as much force as possible in the smallest amount of time (power), but it increases your jumping ability as the power you generate is more effectively utilized to propel your body from the ground.

Increase mobility to allow you to utilize the most biomechanically effective movementpattern possible:
> Dynamic stretches, various drills, maybe even conditioning
This should be self explaining

Train your ability of expressing power with progressively more loadable movements:
Power Cleans, Snatches, Loaded Squat Jump
I guess these are the same as first point, but power expression is involved in the movement (loaded power expression).

Train the jump (or close relatives) itself:
>Vertical Jumps, sprints
This trains your efficiency in the exrecise you're trying to improve in.

Kinda like says, if you're already decently strong in your posterior chain/core, have decent mobility and have a somewhat efficient jump, one can't really expect to add 13 inches to their VJ.

I think body proportions matter (longer legs, shorter torso, wide shoulders), the higher your center of mass, the easier it is to jump high and control your body weight. When I was a kid, despite being one of the smallest ones, I was able to jump higher than almost all of my classmates, me and the other few taller and athletic guys were jumping higher than the rest. Pretty sure you can still increase it despite any genetics.

Come down to technique really by like 20% and the other 100 being genetics

Mon:
Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 5x3
Power Clean 5x3
Weighted Hypers 2-3x8-10

Tues:
5km (don't go balls out, just decent pacing)
Pull Ups 2-3xMax (no more than 3x12, stop short of failure)
Push Ups 2-3xMax (stop short of failure)

Wed:
off, or mobility/dynamic stretches, or specific skill practice (should NOT be very draining)

Thurs:
Squat Jump 3x5 (or just squats 3x5)
Overhead Press 5x3
Deadlift 1x5 (or RDL)
Some bodybuilding shit (ex: dips or db bench 3x5-10, curls 3x5-10, facepulls 2x15-20 or rear delt flies 2x15-20)

Sat:
Vertical Jump training (work up to max jump), maybe sprints or agility drills, 2.5km on time

Or you can just do VJ bible, or a standard off season 5x5/3x5 strength program.

One of mon/thurs should probably be push press

Lads,

I've dabbled a bit in plyo work tho I've never followed a routine or anything.

Is there a kind of standard for vert box and broad jumps?

I can do a 120cm / 47inch box jump easily, multiple times. i can't try any higher because my gym has low ceilings.

When I did that I could front squat 100kg x3 now I can do 120kg x3

Is this decent? The jump that is I know the squats are shit but im on the case.

Thanks

This is also me.

There's a long jump track near my house. Any advice on how best i can use this?

I've read a bit on long jumping on brian mac but this is very new to me.

I figured stuff like sprints, 'power skips', standing broads and also... long jumps.

If anybody is in East
L
O
N
D
O
N

hmu

You're fucking faggot shitty form is bad for your knees

Is there any advantage of a full clean/snatch over the respective pulls? With respect to jumps / RFD.

Also,

What about jerk drives? It seems that the depth you go before coming up in a jerk / jerk drive is similar to that of a jump.

Cheers

yes and no
They allow for more weight, but power production is actually lower in those movements than in their power-variants (clean 1rm is going to be performed alot slower than power clean 1rm)

Consider also the technique-work needed to get good at full cleans/snatches/jerks. Power clean is less technical than full clean, snatches are VERY fucking technical (even their power variants) and so are jerks. Power cleans and push press are just a better tradeoff considering the time time investment since they are alot easier to get efficient in.

Push Press probably has better transfer to basketball than the jerk in general which you should take into consideration when training. You're not only strength training to increase your VJ, but also general performance on the court. (Long distance shooting, passing accuracy/power etc).

squatting 1.75 of my bodyweight made me fly. I didn't even do plyo training before sports season came back when I started lifting. I was dunking in high school sophomore year at 5'10...I'm not black either

>what are good genes

Hi thanks for the reply.

To clarify i meant the advantages of a clean/snatch over a clean pull or a snatch pull.

With rehards to push presses and jerks - the push press is my favourite lift so no prob there. But I meant a jerk drive (catalyst has an example) vs a jump squat.

Cheers

youtube.com/watch?v=aX7QjuveBnY

Why would you suggest running a 5k to someone who wants to increase their vertical jump?

well jerk drive might be better / safer / more fun than jump squat, but adds volume to the shoulder girdle that impacts your pressing ability if you want do do some OHP on that day. I'd prolly just do regular squats twice a week though and focus on getting your squat up. As suggests, it is in itself very effective.

full/power clean/snatches are probably better in a general program as it's alot easier to quantify progress. If you can rack the bar on your shoulders in a full/power clean that's a full rep, if you can rack it above your head in a full/power snatch that's a full rep.

In Clean/Snatch pulls it's harder to objectively assess whether you've gotten stronger than last time. Have you gotten stronger than last session or are you just not pulling the bar to the same height as last sessions? How high of a pull is a good rep? Good assistance, poor main lift to quantify strength progress.

it's a strength/conditioning program in genera with focus on increasing VJ. He said he wanted to increase VJ for basketball so I gave him something that's more catered to basketball in general.

>can barely touch the rim of the hoop at 6'1

>win state for high jumping only because my form is on par with Olympians

Feels bad man, I wish I had actual good genetics for jumping instead of a tiny bit above average.

I'm looking for tips too. I am 1,82 m and at best i can touch the board with the tip of my fingers.
I lift from years, but the wrong way, I was following bodybuilding workouts. My strength is not explosive at all.
I am training now differently, I lift as fast as possible and I removed all those dropset, superset.

>make a thread about vertical jumps and explosiveness
>no one posting Fronk yong

youtube.com/watch?v=XxGpbHEyEVk

if you are a mastermind of achieving/understanding technique in general, maybe decathlons and similar things might be for you

Use strength shoes-they actually work