Running General

No running thread? You're not just bulking are you user?

I just broke a 5min mile for the first time -- now if only I can get my 5k time down...

Other urls found in this thread:

ukgear.com/Shop/Products/Mens-Footwear/1082-PT-03-SC-British-Military-Edition---Structured-Cushioning.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Whats your 5k time?

>18:17 here

Post pictures of your bodies Mr skeletons

Just went for my first run in a while. I'm a smoker and I feel like I going to throw up....but you know what...I'm just happy I went out and did it instead of just staying in and smoking cigarettes. Cant wait for tomorrow. I still have like 4 cigarettes in the pack as well....sheettt

Best recorded was just under 20mins, but that was about a year ago now and I've been focusing on running a lot this year, so we'll see soon what it is

I don't mean to be a pain but you realize that's less than a 5 minute mile right...Which is really...really good....you humble bragging?

> mines 18:16

No? 19:53 time = like a 6:25 5k doesn't it?

First to beat 18:00 wins

er...mile.

better to puke from running than to cough up black goop though yea?

Not sure I have been coughing for a bit now. Not sure if its cause its cold....the cigarettes are exercise induced asthma

Former/still kinda fatty here

Not the best but im working at it, ive been lifting for about 2 months now

187lbs

15:40

I'll be finishing C25k on Friday. Any tips on getting my 1.5 mile time down? I have to do it in 11mins40secs

I'm sure that's plenty of time for most of you but I only started running like 8 weeks ago

Honestly the best thing to do is join your local running club and train there.

interval sprints and squats, best way to increase speed....

i do 20 minutes of 1 min sprint and 1 min walk

>tfw stuck at the treadmill until winter goes away

>tfw no treadmill

Started last week.
Ran 4k first day. Had a rest day then ran 5k in 27 minutes. After another rest day I ran 7k in 40 minutes. Took two days off and just today I ran 10k in 52 minutes. HR at about 175-185 all the way through.
I know those times are shit but why the fuck are people irl so fucking scared of running 5k? I remember talking to my friends and they would go on like 'I ran 2k yesterday and I was fucked!'. They aren't even fat idk why people I know act like running 5k is some sort of holy grail, is the world seriously that unfit? Or do people lack the willpower to push past being slightly out of breath and aching a little?

What.

No one I know regards 5K as anything but a sprint. Get new friends.

Running a half in April. I've been running for 16 years but the furthest I've ever done is 7 miles. Will I die?

What's the best Couch to 5k program i can get on Android for free?

nah, i know a guy who did a marathon and his longest was 15k, you're good

you'll be fine, but don't expect to do well

Running 5k is boring as fuck

Cool.

I don't. Just want to finish the race.

The zen labs one. Super easy to use

My mile time is 9 minutes

How garbage is this?

Any tips from anons who run outside in the winter? Will my lungs burn for the first week or two before my lungs adjust to the cold and dry air?

I really want to keep running as the temperature drops and snow is on the ground.

thats pretty slow how long have you been running though

It was my first time in a long while

Whats the average beginner time about

Any tips for upping speed?

I finished 5k about 5 weeks ago. And I'm going bridge to 10k. But i feel like my pace has gotten too comfortable.
Should i up my tempo or finish 10k and than up the tempo?

>ran in -15 F with strong winds during winter running, between cross and track season.

Honestly it's all about getting your gear all sorted, hat, scarf, gloves, and good layers that aren't too heavy.

Northern Illinois fags know what's up.

180 minus your age. That's your target heart rate. Run at that rate while you increase distance.

it depends on other things but for me its was like 8 when i started so you are probably fine

how many miles are you running a week?

is running a mile as fast as possible considered anaerobic exercise?

>1 mile sprint

to Depends what temperature you're talking about. I'm usually fine with at 15 F and up, but once it drops below that I definitely feel a bit of a burn in my throat and lungs, but a good scarf or something similar will keep it from actually being a problem.

Yes, run at least 25 minutes.

Thanks user, seems like it's time for me to invest in a heart rate monitor.

I do a bit less than 40km a week.
So around 25 miles?

>minor pain in my right calf
>take a break for 3 days, or so, let it rest
>discomfort is gone, hit the track, it comes back
>shit, alright I don't want any injuries, let's give it a week
>once again pain disappears
>went for a run yesterday
>now I'm limping
I fucked up lads, didn't I?

Anybody here ever tried these shoes? Thinking of getting them.

ukgear.com/Shop/Products/Mens-Footwear/1082-PT-03-SC-British-Military-Edition---Structured-Cushioning.html

1mile: 5:46
5k: 17:30ish
I'm getting some really bad achilles pain though what do? Went to shoes with a high heel to toe elevation still hurts.

Foam roll those shin and calf muscles out user

You might have tired/weak plantar muscles. Roll those arches out with a lacrosse ball or frozen bottle of water.

Anyone here run a 400m? When I get near the last 100m my whole body tenses up and it takes a lot of willpower to keep going. Is the solution more repeats or a better warm-up?

i think you could get more out of doing more distance if you have the time, but some tempo runs wouldn't hurt

How do you guys get such fast 1mile times? Do you just full-blown sprint the entire time? If I sprint I get tired like halfway.

Try running on dirt and grass.
I had this issue when running on a concrete track. Started running on a dirt side path. Feels good. Later moved about 50% side track 50% grass. Now I can run on the pavement easy. Do some stretching and let your calves rest. Maybe change your shoes.

Ok thanks, I've been putting of running for 2months now its so bad I'll give it a try

that means you should probably do more easy longer runs

Anyone got good training resources and/or books? I'm just running 10k every other day as fast as I can; I feel like I should do some sprint/walk intervals, fartlek and lower pace longer runs and stuff but I don't know how to approach it and my schedule is too retarded to join a running group.

Pls help.

No one can actually flat out sprint more than 300m

It's just normal middle distance training. Do 10x400m or do a few 2k's as training

Fartlek miles helped me tons

Last 5k was 22:26. I am 6'1" 245lbs.

I incorporate running into my strength workouts.

Monday/Wednesday: 3 sessions of cardio 12-15 minutes each with strength exercises in between.

Tuesday/Thursday: 1 session of 10-12 minutes with strength training and heavy bag work.

Friday: Long run day, 1 hour. Now up to 7.2mi on the treadmill with a 2.5 incline.

Those look ugly af son. If youre gonna buy running shoes, buy from actual running brand such as nike, asics, sacony, adidas

You should definetly warm up before sprints. Idk how long youve been running but im assuming youre new. I would reccomd doing 100m and 200m a bit then you can move on to 400m when you build up some endurance

Your 5k min/mi is faster than your mile?

Are you newly training 400m/do you have a coach? Or just doing it to stay in shape?

I have a coach and all, I'm a senior in high school. This is my second season of track, I did it last year, but I've been running cross country for years. I always warm up for like 15 minutes at least, but another runner suggested when I tense up its from not warming up enough so I was curious.

Dude as a sprinter warmup drills should be at least 30 mins, then you do short sprints in your spikes afterwards to get used to them.
I always warm up 45 mins before a race.
What times do you run anyway?

2am

Up your distance mane. At least 1 longer run per week. Start out at 7 and every week or 2 weeks add another mile. Run slower if you have to to complete the extra km's. If 7 miles is the furthest you've ever run pre half the extra 6 are gonna feel like a struggle, especially if you're pushing during the race.

Anything up from a 400m sprint becomes more and more aerobically demanding. To improve your mile time initially most benefit to be gained by improving that system (I.e running more miles) and longer runs (up to 10km). at the same time throw in 1 or two speed workouts to improve leg speed and getting comfortable at holding a fast pace e.g 6x800, 8x400 10x200 etc

Breaking 5 minutes for the mile.

Breaking 300 lbs on the bench press.

Which is more impressive?

Discuss.

Mile for manlets
Bench for lanklets

Manlets make good milers.

Average WSM is 6'2", at least.

Soooo... you're fucking wrong so hard????

meme. What is the average height for world-class milers anyways, around 5'8?

actual answer: depends on the person's build. I personally find a 300lb bench more impressive because I know fewer people who can do one.

Anyone here ever run the Ravenel through downtown to the battery and back? Will I get murdered on the incline from the Charleston side on the way back?

Do you guys have general aches through the week inbetween your runs?

My left hip is aching atm, reckon it's a form problem?

I just ignore them and spend more time in the hot tub.

>tfw have stress fracture in shin that isn't healing

Been 8 months since I've run, anyone else experienced this?

Half the guys in Ranger school, or OCS.

But seriously, if you want to fix yourself, find a military healer. Network.

My knees and ankles hurt when I run. Not too fat, just about 20 lbs overweight. What should I do?

Would fishoil help?

I take glucosameme

>35 minute 5 mile
>12:47 minute 2 mile
>5:54 minute 1 mile

technically its pretty shit but im a big boy so im proud

Less than six minute mile time doesn't suck. Anyone who says differently is a memeposter.

I ran a mile about 2 weeks ago and my legs are in amazing pain right now

wtf is wrong with me

I'm super fit, I cycle about 200 miles a week in the summer

I can hardly walk

Just started c25k. I liked it, really felt my lungs burn.

Any general advice for starting out? Any newbie mistakes I should avoid?

college d3 runnerfag here, I go on here but am only ottermode

>4:14 1 mile
>9:12 2 mile
>15:09 5k
feels bretty good to be fast

maybe try new shoes, or do you run on hard pavement?

Is 6:54 a good mile time for someone who doesn't run?

its alright, depends how much you weigh, but desu its nothing great senpai

cold weather is here, who's hyped to break out the compression pants?

recommend shoes for hard pavement

Why do you have those times and go to a d3 school?

It's been like a month+ since I was running pretty often and I think I have sesamoiditis. Do you think I could get back into the shape I was by running all month?

cause I'm a senior and honestly theyre pretty average d1 times. I was average in high school so I couldn't get recruited

The past few workouts I decided to run about a mile (9.1 laps is a mile and I range 10-11) after lifting and was just under 8 minutes. How realistic is it, and what do I need to do, to have a sub 9 minute 1.5 mile time by the spring/early summer?

That is what's supposed to happen in 400m.

I'm a long distance runner but I had to do a 4x400 for my club at a couple of league meetings in the summer. The lactic burn is thrilling. Do more.

>Chub and lazy as fuck
>Start c25k and pushups/situps on the days inbetween, with one rest
>Every run has a little pain in lower legs like when I'm doing calisthenics, figure it's just because I'm a weak motherfucker.
>Keep pushing through it, run a little more at the end of warmups and feel endurance grow
>First day of the third week and the pain is noticeably more pronounced, almost makes me want to quit the run. Tons of ache every time I walk/run almost during the entire thing.
>Hurts more on the right foot/shins than left

Am I doing something wrong? Is it just because I'm a weak motherfucker? I really want to push through it and keep running, but I don't want to fuck myself long term.

sesamoiditis sounds so made up...but it depends how much the + is; month really isn't that long honestly. How much would you actually be running with your sesame seeds?

It could be a whole range of things. You would need to be a bit more specific about the 'pain'.

However, foot/shin pain is often caused by hard surfaces so perhaps run on grass instead of roads. Also aqua-running (ie. running underwater) is a good way to strengthen the legs for running without causing injuries from the impact. In general, it's just a matter of taking care with gradual progression.

I just need to get my mile and half time to be under like 10 minutes preferably with my sesame seeditis. I used to be able to run a mile in just under 6 minutes so I'm hoping I can get back to about that.

5 min mile?
Do you even lift

military/police?
it's doable, esp if that was your time before injury. If that was your time years ago, 1 month might not be enough to hit 10. I'd get diagnosed/take care of injury as best you can for sure first though

Might be doable, but you will probably have to sacrifice some of your lifting in favor of running depending on your free time. Focus on getting endurance up probably to 3mile. I'd do ~500s and 800s myself to work on speed. Basically, run more; 1 mile after your lifting isn't going to cut it.

18:15 reporting in

post more track and field waifus pls

Is doing 2 days a week of 7km running easier on the legs or would it be much better to lessen it considerably and do a run every day or so

Sup /run/, just able now to run a 3k course which is an achievement for me. If I'm concentrating on weight loss, should I go for running further, faster or does it not matter?