Do any of you have a herniated disc? How has it affected your exercise routines?

Do any of you have a herniated disc? How has it affected your exercise routines?

It made me stronger

Yup

Originally fucked it up in July. It's taken to this point now where I feel /mostly/ normal. Still slight pain while walking and reduced flexibility.

After ~4-5 months though it stopped affecting my ability to exercise but for the first few it wasn't really possible

How did it feel? I feel a slight pinch in one of my vertebrae and it has me worried.

Starting out I just assumed I had pulled a muscle in my leg, felt exactly the same. After a few weeks it starting getting progressively worse

When I slipped my L5/S1 I knew about it the instant it happened. It happened back when I was 17 and dumb as shit, trying to deadlift too much weight with bad form, and as soon as I got the weight off the ground I knew I'd fucked up. The pain was excruciating and I had to rest for months. I'm 22 now and have been lifting for about 5 months (I could've probably started again about 6 months after the injury but I didn't feel like it at the time), and it's going surprisingly well - I'm even deadlifting again, but now with more sensible weights and proper form. The best advice I can give to someone with a hernia is to strengthen the FUCK out of your core. And by that I don't just mean hit it with compounds, but isolate it - and regularly. A strong core in someone with a slipped disc is the difference between living in constant pain or living normally and being able to exercise.

Should I go see someone about it or should I just take it easy for a few weeks? I've gone to doctors before about what I thought were injuries, only to find out it was nothing(and in turn I wasted money).
I hit core regularly(pic related). And that's why I didn't start trying to push myself until I knew my form was good, thank God for the powerlifters I've met in my time.

Tried doctor/physio/chiro for a couple months and personally I don't think it did anything

For me it was seriously just a waiting game for it to slowly heal

i have small weak spot off center to the left side above buttcheek

it kinda feels like a tumor/lump under skin
thoughts?

It doesnt really hurt that much, just a sensitive spot

i'm pooin myself now about getting a hernia. did you chaps get your problems by being retarded?

I had herniated disc about 1.5 years ago. It was cervical between C3/C4 And inwards. Even now I still feel that shit. Couldn't sleep for more than 4 hours and then I needed to walk and couldn't feel my right hand...Started working out a year ago again and since then, its still hurting after some time, so I am still on and off.

3 in my cervical spine 22 years ago. Epidurals if its bad and traction when needed. Have an 1868 unofficial total so it doesn't slow me down, just ended my contact sports career.

Try an inversion table to decompress that shit.

If your form is perfect and you're not lifting an unreasonably high amount of weight then it's pretty much impossible to snap your shit up.

Anyone have experience with this? I've been considering it.

yeah, 2 years of squats and deadlifts, progressed at a good pace, never felt shit in my back, just kept getting stronger, allways made sure to use good form.
suddenly one day while warming up for deadlifts my back snapped, and after what felt like a year i managed to get my ass home and collapsed on the floor.
took me 2 weeks to be able to go and take a piss on my own, 5 months untill i could walk properly and another 3 months untill i could start working out again.

can never do squats, deads, rows or ohps again.
my leg workouts consists of leg extensions, leg curls, sitting down calfpresses, and that inne/outer thigh machine.
boring as fuck and shitty gains.

L5/S1 squad!!!! I prolapsed mine :)

FIX IT WITH A REVERSE HYPER AND GET BACK TO LIFTING!

Fixed a lingering injury, I couldn't lean forward or back. Also fixed something I didn't even really notice was a problem until after I used the table, I could barely reach my fucking toenails to clip them. Goes to show how inflexible I've become.

I think it's a great thing for anyone who lifts, probably good for regular people too.

I was sure I fucked up my disk because the symptoms were all there. Just one day I felt slight stinging, kinda "pulling" pain in my back, but I though it would go away so I went to the gym. Did my deadlifts and I got worse, so I went back home. Then it was hell, whenever I bent over to pick something up without PERFECTLY straight back, it striked like a fucking knife. Really makes you realise how many times a day you pick shit up with a hunched back by the way. I had to deadlift socks from the ground with perfect form.

It lasted about a month, I haven't lifted during that period. I've been to doctor and confirmed that I'm ok. Im back to lifting now and all fine, and since herniated disks don't fix themselves, that's rather conclusive it wasn't that.

Still, if you have any doubt about you back health, go see a doctor. Besides pain and what I had the symptoms of hernia should be:

>pain during walking
>pain when increasing abdominal pressure, can be easily felt when taking a shit

Depends on type of hernia and scale of damage of course, but it can hit you so hard that you won't get back from the gym using your legs. But then you probably wouldn't have too much confusion about what it is.

>living in constant pain
What's wrong with that?

Don't push it mate. I had a herniated disk that got so bad that it pinched a nerve completely. I'm still slowly regaining the feeling and strength in my left leg. It has not been a fun ride. My squat and deadlift (obviously) tanked fucking hard, since the surgeon said I wasn't allowed to lift for about 6-8 months. It's been 11 months since the surgery, and I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. Doc said that I'll have full feeling back in anywhere from 6 months to 5 years.

I had a similar thing happen to me last month
I was deadlifting a slightly heavier weight than usual, grip slipped and caused back to round, causing a strong tugging pain in my lumbar
bending my back in basically any direction caused immense pain and it still hurts when I hyperextend my back
don't think it's a hernia though and I've gone back to deadlifting by now

It's painful

life is pain, princess

ur a big guy

Not herniated disc-tier pain though

more like a few month.. :(

I've been doing a shit-ton of hyperextensions and full bridges. Gonna add that one too!