Pancreatitis

How do I know if I have this? My left side under and to the far left of my rib cage has been hurting when I push on it for the past 3 days. It hurt a few days ago when breathing heavily too. The pain is mild and only manifests while breathing deeply or pushing on it (as of today it doesn't hurt while breathing at all) when the pain does appear it is almost like a runners ache when you're out of breath.

I have liver pain sometimes because I am a recovering alcoholic and this pain isn't bad. I've had it worse before (on my left side which I think is pancreas not liver) and it went away.

Do I have to go to the doctor or will it be fine as long as I don't drink alcohol?

Go to a doctor.

I don't have insurance desu

Bump

If you had pancreatitis, you wouldn't just have some pain when push on your abdominal wall. You would be screaming 24/7, pancreatitis causes insane pain. The pain should also feel like a tight belt around your whole waist, from the back too. So no, you probably don't have it.

t. 3rd year med student, so take this with a grain of salt.

The joys of living in a third world country like USA.

4th year med student here confirming

pancreatitis should hurt worse right after eating or drinking something too, and it's usually extremely painful (for you). would expect some nausea and vomiting as well

left side has the tail of the pancreas as well as the spleen. any trauma to the area? any other symptoms?

Could be chronic pancreatitis hence the lack of v severe pain seen in acute episodes - fits with the history of ethanol abuse.

Different fourth year med student here. How are your shits bro? Describe them to me.

Hang on, just took the time to actually read this. It doesn't sound like pancreatitis to me bro to be honest, the pain description just doesn't sound right. Pancreatis pain tends to radiate to the back because it's a retroperitoneal organ.

From the sounds of it, you might have a bit of an obstruction/trapped wind which should settle down. Are you running a fever/feel generally unwell/coughing shit up? If not, it sounds more like a case of Pleuritis. I mean, I recommend you go see a doctor in a couple of days if it hasn't calmed down, you might need an xray/CT and a quick listen with a stethoscope. Is the pain a stabbing pain? if so, I'd put my money on pleuritis over anything.

27 Y.O.

Have had pancreatitis since I was 17 years old. Very fucking painful. On enzyme therapy for life, currently have not been diagnosed with diabetes.

I have most likely due to a genetic mutation. No one in my family that I know of has had it ever or heard of it. However it is carries on the recessive gene - I was just extremely unlucky.

The place where you're pushing sounds like it's your spleen. Go to a doctor ASAP. If you rupture that thing, you will have uncontrollable hemorrhaging and might die.

No other symptoms. Like I said it's not so bad anymore it sort of radiates to my back but not all the way around, mostly on my side. The pain isn't bad though just milf disconfort

Shits are the same as always, had some nasty farts in the past few days though

No running or coughing lately

Haven't had any trauma to the area either. I am partly convinced it was just my side aching from a muscle type thing. Not sure though

ED physician. No. Acute or chronic pancreatitis can often manifest as mild pain. However, it is usually postprandial (following food intake). Steatorrhea or fatty stools is a specific symptom. Are your shits abnormally foul smelling, floating, and otherwise not typical? This is indicative of poor fat absorption common in pancreatitis.

When was your last drink?

Get it cheacked or get diabetties

You don't have pancreatitis. Avoid fatty meals and stay out of the gym. Sounds musculoskeletal in nature.

3rd year cuck please. Pancreatitis presents with pain that radiates through the back not a band like pain. Also you can not have pain sometimes, especially if chronic history. Consider EBV, splenic rupture, oh IDK most likely it is a ulcer. Ask OP if he has the pain with eating or is it relieved after eating. lol 4th year please. go take step 2, and 3 then come at me.
source
SENPAI higher up on totem pole than you.

OP answer these questions.
Pain with eating?
Pain relieved by eating?
Any new sexual contacts? Grills included faggot.
Any history of gastric ulcers?
What meds are you on?
Have you ever vomitted blood or had dark stools or blood stool these past few days? Dark stools are like dark black.
Any rashes on your flanks (obliques)?

Brandon gtfo n back to scribing.

I literally have the same problem.
But iv had it for about 4 years.
Been to many doctors 6 or so just walk in doctors and they all say im crazy and prescribe me useless meds
But I only get the pain after a 2-4 day bender. Can't sleep. Breathing is the worst pressure especially while trying to sleep. Just under my left arm pit.and my abs feel like I got hit by a baseball bat

hey medfags anybody wanna take a guess as to what my top left quadrant pain is.

25 male, no med/surg history, drinks 3-5 standards a week, no smoke.

not tender to touch, no guarding, just under the rib, 3/10 pain, lasts for maybe an hour then goes.

abdo ultra done found nothing of interest.

4 doctors have palpated it and 2 felt what they thought as a small nodule & the other 2 couldn't find anything.

doesn't seem to be precipitated by anything, transient, no other symptoms.

every since I read some thread on reddit about a radiologist having abdo pain only to find out he had soft tissue cancer i am nervous bout it

fix it