Hey Veeky Forumsizens I have a month into my stronglifts 5x5 program and I feel I am stagnating in weights...

Hey Veeky Forumsizens I have a month into my stronglifts 5x5 program and I feel I am stagnating in weights. My last squat was for 95 lbs and my form wasn't correct in the later sets and I was struggling to get the weight up. I don't think i can keep adding 5 lbs every workout. Should i try a lower weight or keep at this until I can do it properly?
I am 5'10 160lbs

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Everyone has bad days but don't add more weight if you can't do a proper set.

Also, keep eating big and get a full nights sleep.

eat more, eat more and eat more.

also, squats are one of those lifts that are strongest when performed correctly. your balance etc has to be on point. it might be a form thing if you're concerned.

but yeah 95lbs is shit, man. you shouldn't be stalling right now. do the above. did i mention eat more?

I would like to lose weight also is the problem. Not trying to bulk just want to get more lean

you're on the wrong program then, sorry

should I just be doing pure cardio?

why aren't you doing SS? 5x5 is probably too much volume for you, especially if you're stalling at 95, damn.

no, you can lift as well, if you want to lsoe weight you want to try to retain the most muscle you can. but you're doing a program designed for a trainee who is bulking, and so it makes the assumption that you're eating enough to recover workout to workout. just don't be surprised if the gains you make are very small, non-existent or even if you get weaker.

if your only goal is to be lean, do something more relevant to that. you're on a program just now designed to prep people for sports and strength training. you've just chosen the wrong routine.

>5'10/160
>get more lean

Why are you lifting if you want to be skelly mode?

Thank you!
I'm still kinda fat :/

No its fucking simple add till you fail then fail again then fucking de-load. Its as simple as fucking breathing.

>I'm still kinda fat :/
you're very probably not fat. you very probably lack muscle.

i'm guessing you look normal in a shirt but have a flabby and useless looking body underneath. believe it or not that kind of body needs a bulk, not a cut. if you cut, you will look exactly the same, only more slim. you will still look flabby and useless. you need more muscle, not less fat. probably.

>start SL 5x5.
>squat 20kg?? wtf
>skip the advice and start on 1pl8
>never squated b4
>do the 5x5
>next day i wake up and my legs dont move
>cant walk for 4 days

that's pretty accurate, I currently try to eat sub 1500 calories even if i eat lots its never over 2000 which is my maintenance supposedly.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how I would get more lean while on a bulk. I'm not trying to get huge or anything. If what you say is correct should I keep on the 5x5 is this the correct workout for me or not?

So if I had to guess I'd say your problem is probably your form, I'd take a video of one of your sets and compare it with a video of proper form, then practice the form with the bar then add weight, SL 5x5 is probably fine for losing weight, don't expect to lift as much as someone who is bulking while doing the program. you'll stall eventually but 95lbs sounds too low to me. Good luck user

adjust your expectations. do a slow bulk (eat 200-300 cal surplus, all very clean foods, zero bad sugars, fats or carbs, i mean zero) and continue with SL if you want. i guuarantee you will look way better than if you fuck around afraid to bulk in case you get too fat. the muscke with poke through the fat and make you look good. don't be one of those pussies that can't eat properly. those guys come and go and trust me when i say they never make any gains, in either muscle or strength.

basically, do SL, slow bulk, and continue. your food intake is too low for SL to work, and getting enough food will make SL work which will give you muscle which will make you look less flabby and fat. the only way this isnt going to happen is if you eat too little or eat too much. its in the diet, m8.

by the way when i said zero bad sugars, fats or carbs, i mean zero bad sugars, zero bad fats and zero bad carbs. obv good sugars, fats and carbs are fine

this is ok advice but pick someone with proportions similar to your own. if you have long legs and a short torso and try to mimick lu xiaojun you'll fuck up

I'll try to get a video that would definitely help thanks
Thanks buddy appreciate the advice !

Same thing happened to me but on curls, couldn't move my arms and had to walk like a t-rex.

like above comments said, SL 5x5 is a program for people who are bulking

try greyskull lp for aesthetics/cutting

Any recs?

Have you tried food?

>"I would like to lose fat also is the problem."

ftfy.

wrong program bro.

Op you are very weak, you need to put more protein in your diet buy some protein powder and drink 2scoops & glass of milk everyday and try to get some protein in most of your meals.I just started SS a month and a half ago and I can squat 2 plates by now and I bulked dirty to gain weight. I was 144 lbs in early August now I'm nearing 170 and starting slow down my bulk.You need food man, I also suggest creatine if you aren't balding it's been helping me a lot.

would you still reccommend a dirty bulk for people looking to cut down on bf%

A dirty bulk is not recommended for anyone. Eating 3500 calories a day in chicken breast, oats, eggs, milk, etc is far better than being an idiot and eating 3500 calories in garbage

So a "dirty bulk" isn't good for anyone. Cutting. Bulking. It's bad.

What you need to do is "cut" meaning eat LESS calories than you burn.

Bulk is eating more than you burn and it raises your bf %

And no, do not eat fucking garbage. Eat clean.

Try these things:
-Deload by around 5-10lbs and work your way back up
>Increase your protein and food; if you're not sure how, drink 2-4 metric cups of milk throughout the day on top of your regular food
>Make sure you're resting between sets; around 90 seconds, or whatever the app says

Once you work back up with perfect form, and get proper nutrition, you should be growing enough muscle to keep increasing the weights for a while.

Good luck OP

>Good sugars, fats and carbs are fine
Kek. I almost had a stroke when I first read your advice to OP, before I realized what you were saying.

Op, this guy has decent advice. You should listen to him.

Not him, but dirty bulking is retarded, and I think that user is using it in the wrong context anyway.

"Dirty bulking" means bulking with more than 500 cals, which doesn't do anything but add bodyfat. I think in his context he's referring to eating "dirty" foods, which are basically just unhealthy. I don't really recommend that either, since it's gonna reflect in your body.

work on your form. work on your effort. do more exercises than what the 5x5 simply recommends. give this time. eat lots of protein. be consistent and committed

No, you're confusing dreamer bulking with dirty bulking.
Dreamer bulking is eating litterally everything in sight. Dirty bulking is just eating over what you need but not giving a shit about what you eat.
Dreamer bulking is only for reakky skinny kids and gearheads.
Dirty bulking is what teens who have the metabolism and NEAT levels can get away with doing.

Dreamer bulking should not be done by natties who eat normally.

lol nigga is this bait? jesus christ people are fucking retarded. All you have to do is eat a surplus. I've been doing SS and have increased my squat by 120lbs in a month and a half. "But I don't want to get fat". Then you can't get stronger. Just eat at a 500 calorie surplus and you'll only gain a bit of fat. Fucking kill yourself. Lean muscle gains are impossible.

would cutting while lifting not allow for lean muscle gain :thinking:

you're not gaining shit. you're just getting more defined. lean muscle gains actually aren't impossible though. You just need to be on gear.

what's a man gotta to do lose a stomach is a clean surplus the answer

Ignore this idiot man.

Once you've been lifting for years, yeah, for sure you need to be bulking to gain lean muscle.

As a novice? You can gain lean muscle 100% on a cut. Don't sweat it.

When your muscles are untrained they respond to stimuli so well, you could be cutting and doing a fucking bodyweight routine and still gain lean muscle

yeah aim for a clean surplus of 500 calories. you'll put on a bit of fat but the surplus is needed to make muscle. Also make sure you eat a fuck ton of protein a day. 1g per 1lb of bodyweight is a minimum. because you'll be eating a surplus you'll need to eat a fuck ton of protein.

I mean you're not wrong. If you want to be strong though you gotta eat. If you want to be a twink bitch then don't.

>Be me
>Doing SL 5x5
>Finally manage lmao 1pl8 squat
>Progress to 62.5kg squat
>Painful twinge in my knee as I go down
>Decide to not continue squats for that day
>Knee twinges continue to happen a week later if I do even unweighted squats, lunges or leg presses
>Sometimes happen if I sit down at a weird angle
>Leg extensions are fine though

The fuck do I do bros? Isn't the whole point of this program to do squats?

I can almost guarantee you aren't actually hitting parallel. Shove your knees out as hard and as far as you can on the way down. That'll fix the problem 99% of the time.

You should try eating.

but then you get fat ;_;

Even if you're a novice, the processes that cause muscle growth also cause fat accumulation. The first month or two of training/3-6 if you're morbidly obese MIGHT be the exception to this, but it doesn't last for any meaningful length of time.

If you want to be stronger, you have to gain weight. There's no way around it.

Do SS and eat more. And sleep more while you're at it.

And stop squatting high bar, because you sound like the sort of fool who fell for the high bar meme.

Trips nigga has it all right.

Post pics of your body if you want us to confirm but honestly, someone with your stats ought to be clean bulking, not cutting.

I get where your desire to cut comes from. You don't look vascular or have "abs" at all, and your body probably looks rather pathetic and flabby.

Nevertheless, you ought to realize you need muscles to look good at all, and therefore probably ought to get bulking.

Btw in case you still wanna cut for some reason: Forget about linear progression. Sure, novices can gain some muscle on a cut (provided it is not too agressive), but dont expext it to be impressive at all.

m8 I'm going ass to grass for the most part, I'd seen enough memes to scare me off short range of motion.
The pain actually gets worse the further down I go.

Oh damn, the skinnyfat dilemma.

Alright, go on a cut for a few months (eating clean and no more than -500 calories!!!) and then you'll have a solid basis to start clean bulking.

Don't sweat it if you don't progress while cutting. You do want to be maintaining your strength levels though (or else it means you are cutting too hard).

Good luck m8y

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

In similar diet situation as OP and while I attempt to get enough protein a day, almost all the food I eat to do this (e.g. cottage cheese, eggs) comes with large amount of fats which usually exceeds the daily recommended fat intake for my weight.

Will eating high quantities of fat like this be detrimental if I'm trying to get rid of the skinny fat look? What alternatives should I look into (even chicken breast requires oil to cook)?

deload, work more often, try a higher rep range. that's what I did, and I'm progressing quite nicely now. You can't stick with the same program for several months and not expect stagnation.

Dietary fats don't make you fat. They're just another macronutrient, and a pretty important one too. What makes you fat is eating way more calories than you burn and not providing stimulus for those calories to be used to build muscle. Simplified but the gist is true.
So don't worry about dietary fats. And read the sticky, it talks about this.

EAT MORE
FUCK

Can confirm. I'm a beginner who started with 23% bodyfat and was following SL on a lean bulk. Did it for 3 months, but still was a fatass.

Hoped on GSLP, started cutting and am dropping fat while still making gains (yesterday I increased my ohp to 50kg).

Wish I started cutting earlier desu.

I've read the sticky, but assumed there might be some hidden bodily processes that convert excess fat from food to fat issue or some other shit like this hidden somewhere.

Why do TDEE calculators like Scooby's default to something like 55/20/25 carb/fat/protein split?

What happens if I eat more fats and under eat carbs in an SL diey?

it's a good start, eat more fat and less carbs if you want to. these are rules of thumb, figure out what works for you.