Difference Bodybuilding/Powerlifting in Programming and Exercise Execution

In what way do Bodybuilding and Powerlifting differ in terms of programming and exercise execution?

For example, today I've heard Alan Thrall explain how to bench press, but he added that his executing form favours strongman goals in that it will help you hit more and more PRs, but not necessarily beautifully develop your pecs like a bodybuilder might want to.

So what are some core differences I need to consider? I'm working towards aesthetics, but using almost exclusively strongman/powerlifting resources because they are usually higher quality information.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G73APoGD2H4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>In what way do Bodybuilding and Powerlifting differ in terms of programming and exercise execution?
The amount and combination of hormones circulating in your body. Making one small adjustment to an excessive isn't some magic key that's going to unlock body builder pecs. That key is a syringe, and that lock is your ass cheek.

please note that when I said "bodybuilding", I didn't mean competitive, but rather a training regimen focused on aesthetics rather than strength gain.

I always had the feeling that it doesn't matter much what you are doing as long as you have good form and have a proper diet. But looking at guys like Thrall I see that he lacks some aesthetics features that other people who probably can't lift half of what he does have.

>alan thrall

a 242lbs 30% BF fatass who has 10 years of lifting experience with a 310 ONE REP MAX BENCH PRESS!!!

find someone better to watch op, you damn fool.

It really doesn't matter. Actual natural bodybuilders 9/10 look like average commercial gym goers except with lower body fat.

>I always had the feeling that it doesn't matter much what you are doing as long as you have good form and have a proper diet.

>But looking at guys like Thrall I see that he lacks some aesthetics features that other people who probably can't lift half of what he does have.

You answered yourself. I highly doubt Thrall is sticking to a proper, strict, clean diet.

the guys a fatass with beginner level lifts, theres just no way to sugarcoat it.

>beginner level lifts

post your lifts so we can make a comparison

I really like his style. his squatting form videos are absolutely marvellous. he gives a lot of good advice and explains possible mistakes and the reasons why people do them very well. I usually worked with Rippetoe vids, but a lot of what Mark is saying doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

No, he's not beginner level and you can fuck right off with continuing that misinformation.

>242lbs
>300 max bench press

get back to plebbit thrall

if you want strength: do the big 3 (diddly, bench, back squat) because they're PL lifts and allow you to move the most weight; follow a PL lifting regime, meaning you train main lifts in the lowish rep range, and close to your 1RM. the goal is to increase your 5, 3 and finally 1RM.

if you want to look good: you don't have to do the big 3, although many prefer to - there are other exercises that develop the same muscles these do, and you're not about performance, so you can replace them (not skip - replace); lift weights in a higher rep range, up to 15, and for more general sets (because sets of up to 15 will not tire you out the same, so you're able to do more); do more exercises if you think you're lacking a body part or do more volume for that bodypart. the goal is to increase your 8 and 10 rep maxes.

so retards here can stop arguing about 3x5 , strength gaining route being the best one. because if you want aesthetics, you still train for strength, you just try to increase your 8-10 rep maxes, meaning if you can do 3x8-10 for 100lbs of x exercise, your goal is to lift it 3x8-10 for 120lbs. and then 140, etc. will it take longer tp get there than with lower reps? yes. does it work, especially for compound lifts? yes.

If you want juicy pecs dont regular bench, just do db incline plus crossovers and cable flies

Totally dude, Eddie Hall's 1k deadlift is shit because he weights 400 lbs. I mean it's barely twice his body weight. Surely your 3 pl8 deadlift at 135lbs is more impressive.

Do you actually lift or do you just come here for epic weight lifting maymays?

>alan thrall
>242lbs max bench 300
>eddie hall
>380lbs max bench 660

totally the same YOU FAT FUCK GINGER

Post your bench then faggot.

Alan is natty and his genetics isnt god tier like eddie.
Faggots like you talk shit,but I am %100 sure you look worse than alan even tho he only trains for strength and has a shit diet.

OP here, thanks for the sophisticated answer. That's what I basically wanted to know.

I really enjoy working out and hitting new PRs, but my endgame is aesthetics. So it's kind of a mix. I'm doing the big 3, because they really are a lot of fun to do and I have a home gym. Momentarily I only work to a max of 10 reps, but after reading your post, I might try going up to 15 before adding weight.

youtube.com/watch?v=G73APoGD2H4 Bodybuilding VS Strength Training
here is some explanation for you

4pl8 bencher here.

300@242 is completely shit, especially so for a fucking YouTube fitness personality that basically lives and breathes lifting.

everyone in the for Veeky Forums is 4pl8 bencher buddy.
Why dont you post your body and impress us ?

I actually have a 4pl8 1RM tho.
My gross and disgusting body doesn't make his lifts less shit.

So you say you have 5 kg less than what clarence0 benches ?
wow man you must be pretty strong,please post your body,I am sure its not as bad as you say it is.

>Defending Alan Thrall.

>Humble guy gives decent advice
>shows proper form
You are a fucking retard nothing else.
Please post your body.

While I must agree a 310 bench isn't impressive at 242, Alan is a nice guy that does provide great tips and sound tutorials. Being a great coach doesn't equate to being a great player. This is true in nearly every sport where coaches are just that, coaches, and not ex-pros or pros themselves. Coaches will have the knowledge in lieu of physical ability.

The reason I feel it's not impressive, I personally bench 275 at 188 and am not struggling to make gains as of yet. I just started bulking and planning to surpass 300 within months with the goal of being less than 210. Even though he can do more than me, the amount of time he's been training vs his results are pretty lackluster. But as previously stated, he's just a great coach and nothing more.

my PB is 305 at 196lbs, and bench is my shtitiest lift due to long arms

300 @ 240lbs is fucking laughable by PL standards, let alone strongman

Dont get me wrong, I like the dude's advice, but he is a really subpar lifter