Would it be possible to get the effects of lifting weights without actually lifting?

Would it be possible to get the effects of lifting weights without actually lifting?

This might sound crazy, but I think I might be on to something. So think about typical lifting motions, that you usually do whilst holding weights (bicep curl, chest press, squat). When you do these things without actually resisting any weight, but while flexing your muscles really hard and kind of imagining that you're holding a weight, you get the same feeling that you get when you're doing it with real weight. The best part about this is you can imagine yourself lifting lighter or heavier weights, so you could just add a few "plates" in the middle of a set if you felt like you weren't did put enough on to start. Also you don't have to live your house, which is a big advantage to me because I have autism. Would it be possible to just mime lifting weights everyday and get shredded while saving a lot of money on a gym membership? This isn't b8, I'm actually serious about this.

(inb4 "yeah lifting imaginary weights will make you imaginary swole")

with this amount of autism how do you remember to breathe?

It's called 'isometrics' and you won't ever get big doing just that. Now stop being a faggot and go to the gym like everyone else.

>being so weak that flexing feels like an actual work out

I know you joke but I actually bought one of these for that exact reason

I wasn't joking. Am I falling for bait?

This. Look up isometrics.

Honestly? No. Because the reason you get big is that the weight overloads your muscles just a bit, and causes tiny little tears. When your body repairs them, they grow back just a bit bigger and stronger. That's also why you need protein, because that's what muscles need to repair themselves.

Now, that overload probably won't happen if you're not adding weight. Your muscles can't create those tears themselves, and going through the motion won't do it either.
Other anons, pls correct me if I'm wrong.

As a sidenote, if you're decent at roiding, you could gain some muscle without lifting, but I don't recommend that at all, for a few reasons.

British teen news program newsround ran a clip on this idea years back, when I was a lad. It stuck with me because I'm lazy, but no of course it doesn't work, you need to provide physical stimulus to your muscles. Ya numpty.

Big business beat you to it m8.

They went one further too.

This doohickey sends a mild electric impulse to your muscles which triggers a contraction and effectively makes your muscles work without you even having to pretend to lift.

If not bait, then try ddp yoga. Not exactly what you are looking for, but has some isometric routines built in, so it will be close.

Someone add this to the new years comic

lmao

Not OP but similar question and thought it would be good to ask here. So what if we had a machine/system that replicated the movements of weight lifting with real weights, but moved your limbs and body to create the forms needed. The only thing you would have to do would be to flex and participate, while the machine does everything else for you.

Trash idea for 2016, but in a century would it even work in theory?

you can train your CNS to a very very slight degree like this, but ultimately no, you'll need to actually put in the hard work of feeling like you're going to die beneath literal 200 or 300 lbs of cold steel.

Talking about this right?
If so, that's a bummer. I know Americans get lazier every year so it's why I was wondering if it could even work.

>tfw its rest day so I can't flex in the mirror and masturbate to my poses

according to Charles Atlas, yes

Its a thing look up isokinetics, its expensive af tho

No, it's different from isometrics, because there's no actual load, it's only self-resistance.

There have been studies on this, and they show no significant gains.
So no, it doesn't work.