OHP

Are there any substitutes for the overhead press, /f-fit/?

I currently do 25kg/dumbbell for reps but I feel like it's too much for my current DYEL state. Don't wanna die from a dumbbell to the head.

JUST

What's stopping you from wearing a helmet?

use less weight??

Barbell OHP

Military press.
/thread
Go work your tris and delts you beta armlet

is it 25kg each arm or in total?

if its each arm its actually not bad, if its total its not exactly pathetic either

Lower weight but push the weight up really fast. If you go fast enough to let it fly out of your hand it can add anywhere from 10 to 20 kg to your strict press form

Just don't cheat and have a loose grip. Make it come out of your hand.

He already does

> if its total its not exactly pathetic either

That would be like 27 lbs per arm. That actually is pretty fucking pathetic.

Shut the fuck up. Don't post shit like this. People are going to actually do it.

Lower weights dumb ass. Sit down on a inclined bench if you're afraid of dropping it.

25kg is pretty good for an overhead press. Assuming per arm at least.

Move to Egypt, become a bread delivery guy

Love overhead press, did some today after deadlifts, rows and bench.

85 x 10
115 x 7
135 x 3
140 x 2
95 x 10

He should do it because it'll work.

Explosive overhead dumb bells are retarded. If you wanna do that, do it in a gym with safety racks.

Why the fuck are you mixing hypertrophy with strength on a compound exercise?

>hurr I'll do 10
>hurr ok that felt good hurr I'll do 7
>hurr ok that felt good too
>hurr now let's do a set of 3 then a set of 2

Fucking ego lifting retard. You literally did 2 working sets consisting of 5 reps total. Wow. You better never fucking complain about lack of gains, ever

Wasnt expecting this, keked

My sides

Any advantage to doing this standing up vs. Sitting down?

Standing up lets you work out your lower back
(and possibly legs) a bit. Sitting down isolates your shoulders.

Common sense really.

Use the barbell. If you aren't strong enough to hold it over your head, you aren't strong enough to lift it over your head so you will never drop it on your head.
Also you can adjust the weight more gradually, OHP is a difficult lift to improve on

The first two were warmups, for the working sets I was trying to do at least three. The last set was a burnout set.

Kek

I'm supposed to feel it in my shoulders more, right?

I'm a fat fuck who used to be a REALLY fat fuck (350 -> 200)

So my flexibility and shit used to be (and still is) terrible.

I've been doing SS for about a year now. Took a break recently because work has been hard, just got back in the gym yesterday, and it was the first time I've ever felt it in my shoulders.

>more focus on shoulders
>no sloppy ass form
>no fucking leaning back and cheating
>not taking the squat rack

There's literally nothing wrong with using different rep ranges.

>Don't wanna die from a dumbbell to the head.
Then talk about Hillary.

Exactly and this has been increasing my OHP desu. Thursday is my hypertrophy day and I go lighter.

Not that user, but he's right. You're doing stupid rep ranges for a low weight. 1plate for 2 reps while tiring yourself out doing bitchweight is retarded.

You're a battery powering a flashlight, and you're wasting your charge spending time shining dimly. Shine bright nigga.

>7 reps
No gains from that set.

>he doesn't do 115 straight OHP
confirmed not gonna make it

I don't know if you're joking, but lowering the weight and trying to to 10-15 reps as explosively as possible can actually be very effective

standing requires your core and glutes so it's harder. However, much better for your spine and overall functional conditions.

You can isolate the shoulders better when sitting but there will be more stress for your spine, especially with heavy weight. If you use a chair with back support, if the part that supports your back is higher than your head, you will push your head against the chair when pressing heavy weight, which could fuck up the upper part of your spine.

Klokov press

I can 3x6 OHP 38kg but when i try to 3x5 OHP 40kg, i can barely do 4 reps in the last two sets
What's wrong?

(2kg is the smallest increment in my gym)

Your shoulders are small muscles so they need smaller increments. 2kg jumps is actually a lot if your near your maxes for OHP

25kg for each arm, it's in the OP.

Concensus seems to be I should switch to a barbell AND do them standing up, right?
I'll switch to a lower weight as well, 40kg.

HOWEVER
I've seen people do OHP with one arm at a time! Is this retarded or feasible for me?
27.5kg/arm is a bit much for me but with the additional support at least I could try

OHP always hurts my lower back way more than anything else. my lower back's pretty strong, but OHP fucks it up. maybe I arch too much?

>Shine bright nigga
I audibly cringed from this post

Dont forget everybody on Veeky Forums started lifting with 1plate OHP and anything below that is DYEL/pathetic

tighten your glutes and take a deep breath and brace your abs. Think about keeping your core straight and tight.

hmm, yeah I'm gonna try this next time. I saw in another post that I should try standing as well.

DB is harder to progress on as the jump in weight is more than the barbell.

Like most ppl I guess I mostly do barbell OHP but when I've also done phases of push press, db press and one handed db push press.

OHP generally is harder to progress on. I have had sucess with mixing up sets and reps. So if I did 3x5 on 65kg next time I'd so 5x3 on 67.5kg. Gonna try upping that to 8x3 and see how I get on.

I love dumbbell OHP. I only use 22kg per arm, though, but I feel like I get a deeper involvement, plus a reduced chance of back injury.

If you are doing a weight successfully why would you feel like it's too much?

Continue adding weight or you'll stay in your DYEL state

Dayun son!