New Historical Total War Revealed

youtube.com/watch?v=s4D42vMUSIM
New trailer is out. What do you think they'll do with this time period? Personally, I wanted something with pike and shot, or any combat system that isn't exclusively bow and sword, but this actually looks okay.

Other urls found in this thread:

metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/658575
youtu.be/LZv8ydeNyK8
youtu.be/EkQbX3S_Keo
youtu.be/HpR7yIDgzQw
youtu.be/WbuwcUkZFgk
youtu.be/tgN3PoNCqjo
youtu.be/lQLylbrblyQ
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL21105BB85E41D2B6
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCldpz_Pc1FrGQLsaxaV0kVPqmXN_nanN
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGwpBD8stjqqQYb6QIOnqTvETHngSnu_v
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm excited, loved the mod built for Medieval 2. Wonder how they will handle troop diversity

>I wanted something with pike and shot,
>A settin in which Spain is a leading power
Are you crazy?

>shu propaganda 1 minutes in
>no appearance of based wu at all
Shit trailer but id play it anyway

>after Total War: Spearmanii: British Isles edition
>we now get Total War: Shogun 2: Chinese Boogaloo
Whelp, looks like fantasy fags really won

>it will have heroes killing thousands of soldiers

chinese fairy tales
>muh 1 million armies

Wat u mean tho

Won't sell and won't be as interesting as an in-depth game about the thirty years war would have been. Most of their historical titles have been spearmani kinda games and this will be no exception, a few likely gunpowder units notwithstanding.

>Anime men running around dominating the battle single handedly
Yeah no thanks

This looks like good business for Koei because it will get some people into Dynasty Warrios and ROTK.

I really hope this isn't too Wuxia inspired, i'd prefer a more realistic look compared to the dynasty warriors style.

That would probably be masses of crossbowmen blazing away at each other with infrequent cavalry charges to disrupt them.

I'm not sure I'd find that fun myself.

>Won't sell
It could in China, even though it is firmly Koei territory.

Any chance of a Yayoi DLC?

Is this the new flagship history title with the new engine? Maybe we can finally move away from warscape fuckery. But honestly I was hoping for a crimea war-era game.

Fucking bullshit. Stop the Chink pandering and give us either 30 Year War or Bronze

>Bronze age
It would be nothing but chariots.

>Keeping the total war warhammer hero unit formula
I get that the three kingdoms myths are pretty integral to the history, but this has me torn

>tfw everything in games and films from now on will be made to appeal to the Chinese money

Why would Lü Bu, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei not be on horseback, though.

HIMIKO
I
M
I
K
O

>It would be nothing but chariots.
You say that like it's something bad

Well, 30YW would be nothing but pikes and arquebuses, Napoopan is nothing but muskets, and this new shit is nothing but Chinks

You say that like it is a bad thing.

It could in theory, if everyone in china forgot how to do internet piracy.

Why wouldn't that be a bad thing? It would mean less games that appeal to western audiences and that would mean less games that appeal to most of the people in this thread and on Veeky Forums in general.

I'm uniroincally very excited for a dramatic and fantastical romance of the three kingdoms game with a dash of dynasty warriors.

And that's coming from someone who's played every Total War since the original Rome.

>Historyfags hope for a new """"""historical"""""" TW
>They get WH style heroes along with it
How does it feel, the fact that TW:WH is unironically more historically accurate than ANY of the previous titles?

>starting with Shogun 2 agents have been becoming more and more fleshed out
>Warhammer gave them a place in battles
Perfectly fitting for the next game to be wuxia themed.

>Won't sell.
>Blathers on something about the Thirty Years War.

So a setting which literally unites Weeaboos and Chinks vs. the Thirty Years War, a conflict that is literally who for most plebs?

Marketing genius right here.

Reminder that KHEMRI TV is a Skaven disinfo campaign run by Grey Seer Vermon of Clan Maus'ad. Do not believe their falsehoods. Stay clear of any and all ratmen propaganda.

>>weebs
Like anime stuff with sexy girls in it.
>>chinks
Pirate all their games
>>thirty years war for plebs
Your terrible taste is your own problem, not mine.

Im glad they took the accurate route regarding the regular soldiers. Men in Lamellar Armor and sparse helmet use instead of the lazy Song-Dynasty outfits that Dynasty Warriors did.

But 1200s-1500s depiction of Three Kingdoms Heroes can't be helped I guess.

Looks like some shitty animu for faggots

Japs have a huge hand in marketing the Three Kingdoms outside East Asia m8.
>Your terrible taste is your own problem, not mine.
>implying I'm against it.
But the reality is popular culture barely knows the 1600s.

>But 1200s-1500s depiction of Three Kingdoms Heroes can't be helped I guess.
They aren't even going for the traditional Song-Ming cataphract armor aesthetic but some shitty ahistorical plated mail.

Zhang Fei and Liu Bei were in Period Lamellar at least.

Lu Bu was wearing fantasy-tier.

>>Japs have a huge hand in marketing the Three Kingdoms outside East Asia m8.
What does this have to do with the fact that weebs aren't going to buy this game because it probably won't have sexy women in it?

>>But the reality is popular culture barely knows the 1600s.
How is the thirty years war a pleb-tier choice then given this? Modern popular culture is ultimately for the modern plebs. Besides, a thirty years war game is more then capable of selling with sufficient marketing.

Liu Bei and Guan Yu are wearing some sort of weird leather chestpiece.

Would be interesting to see what CA's take on unnamed heroes/officers will be.

not really interested

Leather Lamellar is pretty accurate. The Trio were literally civilian volunteers who gathered a peasant army after all.

>How is the thirty years war a pleb-tier choice then given this?
Did I say this? I said it isn't pleb friendly.
>Besides, a thirty years war game is more then capable of selling with sufficient marketing.
As opposed to the 3 Kingdoms, where the setting pretty much markets itself?

hear hear!

West brought it on itself

>Leather Lamellar is pretty accurate.
If you pause at 0:58 they aren't even wearing anything similar to leather armors worn by the Qin or Chu soldiers.

The chest portion of Liu Bei's armor looks similar to lacquered leather from southwestern China.
metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/658575

Guan Yu's armor is some weird mishmash of mountain pattern sewned on leather with some bronze decorations.

Daily reminder this is Capitalism. Embrace it.

Guan Yu's armor have been something that has been fantasized since forever. Cunt became a literal god.

I had to drop that series when it went full Berniebro propaganda.

>tfw still waiting for Empire 2

I haven't read beyond 1634 myself

>Guan Yu's armor have been something that has been fantasized since forever.
There's a difference between historical mountain pattern armor and abomination worn by CA's Guan Yu.

hope it doesn't have horrible clown armor

>>Did I say this? I said it isn't pleb friendly.
Oh yeah, my apologies, I misread that part of your first reply to me.

>>As opposed to the 3 Kingdoms, where the setting pretty much markets itself?
Markets itself to whom exactly? Fucktons of people in china play computer/videogames, very few of those people actually buy them.

The weebs who like KOEI's stuff? They won't be interested in this unless there is lots of sexy women in the game.

>>Total War: Spearmanii
How is that a bad thing though

Nearly everyone used spears up until the late middle ages

>Warhammer Fantasy is pretty much TW showing off its Heroes system.
>Historycucks demand CA to return to history.

>Man, we really need to please the history crowd.
>Throws in Thrones of Britannia.
>Buuut this heroes mechanic is the tits.
>What historical setting has overpowered heroes btfo masses of cunts?...

Everyone used spears, yes, but they also used swords, axes, clubs, maces, hammers, bows, crossbows, javelins and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting. CA's games usually cannot portray the diversity of equipment that a typical infantrymen would have had available to him, which means you get dedicated units of swordsmen, axemen, spearmen etc. Which can make for compelling gameplay but also makes for really lousy history.

>thirty years war for plebs
>user in charge of reading comprehension

>History fags refused to believe they would go to China
>They go to China

Global* capitalism.

Fair enough. If it was historical, everyone should've had a shield, a spear, a close combat weapon (dagger, axe, hammer), and some would have a throwing weapon (javelin, axe)?

And the engagement would go like this?
>the two units run towards eachother, those who have throwing weapons throw them at the enemy
>they clash with eachother, fighting in formation with spears and shields
>eventually the formation breaks, it devolves into individual fighting, some men run, the others drop their spears and draw swords/axes/maces/daggers/seaxes and keep fighting

Based!

t. /v/

As long as I can be the Dong Meister with Lu Bu all is well.

>>Fair enough. If it was historical, everyone should've had a shield, a spear, a close combat weapon (dagger, axe, hammer), and some would have a throwing weapon (javelin, axe)?
Swords&Axes were a lot more common then hammers as a close combat weapon for most of the middle-ages. Clubs were common close combat weapons among things like the Anglo-Saxon Fyrd. Throwing axes were kinda rare, I think the franks used them early on and then they later fell out of style. But, yes you are mostly correct in the general description of equipment here.

>the two units run towards eachother, those who have throwing weapons throw them at the enemy
>they clash with eachother, fighting in formation with spears and shields
>eventually the formation breaks, it devolves into individual fighting, some men run, the others drop their spears and draw swords/axes/maces/daggers/seaxes and keep fighting
Mostly accurate, although breaking formation was probably less common then the formation getting so close together that spears would lose most of their utility in favor of various hand weapons.

It would be pretty dope if tw did that in a future game tbqh

There should also be far more frequent repeating of clash, rout, reform, clash again. Every TW game I've played just has you fight until you yourt and then it's damn hard to get your guys back together again once the rout starts.

Well with Total War Three Kingdoms, at least you get halberdii with your spearmanii

Yeah, but the money is in DLC now, not more interesting game mechanics, and I fully recognize that I'm part of the problem. Warhammer's unique pastiche on european folklore with tolkienesque fantasy and a small amount of rob howard style sword and sorcery is basically my drug. I've bought both warhams 1 and 2 + all the dlc released so far, even pre-ordered tomb kangz.

Caring about what /v/ likes is a sign of autism

>historical
>based on a literal fanfic with hero management microgame

I can understand that CA doesn't want to develop new tech and not take advantage of it but make fucking warhammer games if you want to use the trappings of a warhammer game.

I like these smaller-scaled historical games, Total War suffers from the limitation of the small number of provinces to represent too much territory. In my wet dreams there’s a game with Paradox level of provinces and autistic depth, with CA real time combat (plus huge units) but that’s not going to happen this decade. So something like the Last Roman or Charlemagne campaign, which seems to their model, is a decent compromise.

Really looking forward to it, integrating WH champions that way just makes sense for a period so shrouded in myth.

I said Veeky Forums in general, not /v/ in particular. People on /v/ don't even play videogames, they just endlessly bitch about this or that.

The series is still niche you think anyone gives a shit about a war that had so many side switching that most people would lose track until Syria surpassed it with boring warfare? Three kingdoms is their best choice since its quite a popular setting even for normies.

>blue eyes
HOLD UP ARE YOU SAYING?

hope fully its like 300 models a unit or something

>>three kingdoms popular with normies
No. In the west KOEI's games are popular among weebs. Unless this game has lots of sexy sloots in it CA is not going to be getting that demographic most likely.

I already explained the problem with regards to expecting potential chinese sales.

Time to taste some BENEVOLENCE!
youtu.be/LZv8ydeNyK8
youtu.be/EkQbX3S_Keo
youtu.be/HpR7yIDgzQw
youtu.be/WbuwcUkZFgk

BABY

youtu.be/tgN3PoNCqjo
youtu.be/lQLylbrblyQ

I love the 30 Years War, but it's whole beginning is historical accident and overreach, it has a shit ton of parties and shifting alliances and esoteric level claims on lands and titles or arguments over theology. It's not exactly great for normie marketing.

Only the super elite had chariots, and they weren't most of the time in combat year round.

The marketing for such a game does not need to be an accurate rendition of reasons why the war happened. Nor is shifting alliances necessarily a problem.

You market the game as the inevitable outcome of the Protestant Reformation, maybe throw in a bit of stuff with the Turks(that would be better as an expansion though), and possibly some stuff about the french being devious little cocksuckers and there you go. Protestants VS Catholics + some other shit and lots of explosions and violence.

Shit sells itself really.

cool

taiping rebellion DLC when

Why do you keep repeating the sexy girls meme? Have you ever played a Koei game? They are Japan's version of Paradox in that their graphics are almost always negligible due to the nature of their game.

Weebs who want to want to fap will buy VNs and not buy dry historical/pseudo-historical GSGs that have been Koei's bread and butter

>Three kingdoms is their best choice since its quite a popular setting even for normies.
In what world? It's popular in China and Japan and maybe Korea, but the West? Come on

>taiping rebellion DLC when

Don't mind me.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL21105BB85E41D2B6

Just gonna...

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCldpz_Pc1FrGQLsaxaV0kVPqmXN_nanN

Post theese playlists

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGwpBD8stjqqQYb6QIOnqTvETHngSnu_v (lol)

And begone.

>not wanting a spicy FoTS-esque expansion set during china's most interesting era

>wahh my tastes should remain constant, I don't want to explore new things in fear of me coming to enjoy them

>DLC about a mid-19th century rebellion
>in a videogame set during late antiquity
Because what could possibly go wrong

Still more well known than the Thirty Years' War in the West

>Still more well known than the Thirty Years' War in the West
Hmmm...

And?

FoTS was DLC of a game set in Feudal Japan

oh shit....are you ready to kill literally hundreds of thousands of people per battle??

Fuck off. Im glad they finally did china. I was hoping for Victoria, but this is nice as well.

Yeah, between Sengoku Jidai and the Bakumatsu, you have 300 years, a bit like Attila and Charlemagne. But between the Three Kingdoms era and Taiping rebellion you have like 1600 years. A bit of a difference, mate.

bring it on!

Other than history majors, literal autists and contrarians like (You), no one really knows about the Thirty Years' War

I didn't know how much I wanted a Thirty Years War Total War untill you mentioned it. That shit would have been the bees' knees.
Sweden would have some decent pikemen, Russia would have acess to poor man's mongols and the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth would have some groovy winged hussars.

The Parties involved in Fall of the Samurai were the same parties in the Main Game.

Like Satsuma is basically the provinces held by the Shimazu Clan.