Just found out that my great-grandfather died in ww2

Just found out that my great-grandfather died in ww2.
He and his best friend were together in war from the beginning,and at around 1944 one of them had to go on diffrent battlefront but they didnt want to get seprate,later next morning they broke the straw in half and said who pull out the small one will go.
His best friend pulled out the small one,and went to battlefront where he died.
My grandfather stayed in city to protect it and died at the very end of war couse he was betrayed by "allied" ( one part of Croatia), they betrayed them by saying where are they hiding,and next day,my great-grandfather's group was killed.
Fast foward to around 1980 was made monument in my city ( Doboj,Bosnia and Herzegovina) for guy who betrayed my great-grandfather group for "liberation of the city"...
Fast foward to 2018,I found in book one picture of my great-grandfather hugging his squad.There was no description for it.
It's really sad that people who gave their life for your city are unknown people with no history,but people who betray are learned in school.

One of my great grandparents fought for the Yugoslav Kingdom during the april war and got shot. Later he collaborated with partisans because he didn't want to get conscripted into hitler's allies' army and got him and his kids killed by fascists.
His sister's husband wanted him to join the fascists because he'd get a cool uniform, boots, and some food for his kids, but he refused. He got hanged by partisans (he was 18).

Most people had no idea what they were fighting for in that time m8, but only one side was genocidal.

>My grandfather stayed in city to protect it and died at the very end of war couse he was betrayed by "allied" ( one part of Croatia), they betrayed them by saying where are they hiding,and next day,my great-grandfather's group was killed.
Domobran? The state of things was fucked back then. It's that way in all wars with multiple factions among the population.

tfw your grandfather committed mass murder in yugoslavia

My grandfather and his brothers tracked all the way to Slovenia, to the border with Austria and my family is from Montenegro. He was like a grenadier, given a bunch of dynamites and thrown first to blow up bunkers and dug in troops. Don't know how he survived the entire time.

My russian great grandfather fighted against my italian great grandfather during WW1, and was kinda responsible for the capture and almost death of the first one in his prison in Russia.

of the italian one*
I'm drunk

Grandfather fought in the godforsaken Indonesian jungle in their national rebellion against the Dutch rule. He, like many others went as a twenty year old conscript and left as a twenty-three year old veteran. Apperently had nightmares for years and would try to beat my grandmother in his sleep due to nightmares. Turns out that the guerillas learned some nasty jungle warfare tricks from the nips that would make your stomach twist. Think of spinning thin wire to decapitate men in open jeeps, spiked boobytraps, and occasionally finding a mutilated fellow soldier with his nails/fingers/toes removed (common torture method).

>It aint me starts playing.

BTFO Chetnik cunt. Pay for your crimes

>My granddad survived a mustard gas attack in the trenches
>I was too young to remember him and listen to his stories
such is life

My grandpa stole a Luger in WWII, I'm bummed I never got to meet the guy but it's neat that the family has a cool piece of history.

>Grandad lied to get into the army at 16
>Becomes a skijeger and sent to Finland in the Krelian front
>Takes charge of a small platoon of SS Skijegers
>place is remote and underfunded
>Frostbite cold during winter, disease written and marshy during summer
>At one point forced to eat the company dog
>One guy in the company had a breakdown and constantly talked about ending it all
>in the moment he tells him to "Go do it!"
>He shoots himself and my grandad kicked back to Norway
>Just 20 days later the entire company is whiped out at the soviet attack on Hasselmann and Kaprolat
>at the wars end he was trialled as a traitor and was sentanced 2 years
>sentance was extended cause he shouted "I bit the heads off those I didn't shoot!" in court
>only talked about the war when drunk or when with a war bud where my mother would always listen inn
>would loose two sons during the drug epidemic of the 70s
>died of cancer in 2000

He really liked westerns and pistachio ice cream

>great grandfather fought in WWI and for the merchant marines in WWII

bitter and bad person, good riddance

>Had a great uncle that was shot by Americans in Vietnam
>I'm Australian

Oh Crikey!!

My grandfather died in the gulags, the other one fled to south america to return 10years later because they actually didnt look for him.

Good ol' nazi ancestors.

Mean like teenagers aren't by design?

>great great grandfather died on Italian front sometime in 1916/1917
>great grandfather was sudetengerman and died sometime during world war 2
I suspect he was in either SS or wehrmacht but my family doesn't really talk about him and whenever I ask them about they just tell me he died during the war

>I bit the heads off those I didn't shoot!
Based grandpa

at least you know who are your parents.

my grandad became crazy because of the war too

he was always screaming and kicking the walls.

>my fathers uncle was a Marine Raider
>to you europoors that dont know much of the pacific theatre the Raiders were United States first special forces group
>would go in on rubber dingies from submarines and fuck shit up in jap strongholds
>Old uncle Jim was a "Demolition Expert"
>apperently would talk about the war alot very open about all the combat he had experienced
>served from 42 up till 44 or 45 i believe
>Was in a major island invasion after the Raiders were dissolved and attached to regular Marine infantry due to the resenment of "special forces unit inside of a special forces unit" by the brass or some shit
>got injured a few weeks into the battle and went home
>always had a limp from then on
>lived a long life in Oklahoma with family

Wish i could have met him

Ever ask him about his k/d?

wait italians and russians didn't fight eachother in ww1

my great grandfather fought your great great grandfather

kek