5"9 165 skinny fat

5"9 165 skinny fat

following Strong Lifts for a 5 weeks now

Just stalled first the time ever on the OHP at 80lbs

I'm gonna try again next time and if I cant make it I guess I will de-load back to 70 or 75?

Any one have a good link that can help me with form I work from my home gym so i dont have any one to help out.

Also I don't think its my diet because I am able to complete every other lift.

Other urls found in this thread:

symmetricstrength.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Read the sticky

OHP takes forever. DOn't judge progress based on that.

It took me almost two years to hit 145 for a single on OHP.

Where is that picture from?

I did

Thanks, yeah I started to ask around and it looks like my OHP is actually not bad compared to the rest of my lift. looks like I just need to get stronger.

symmetricstrength.com/

OHP is a son of a bitch, try working in landmine presses in sometimes instead of ohp, you can load it up a bit more and drive with your torso and not only shoulder, you might be able to overload the eccentric and therefore it could translate into breaking a plateu on the ohp.
- broscientist 2016

Interesting, I might try that if I stall again.

5'7'' 155 here

Been doing SL 5x5 3 times a week for 3 weeks now.

Squat 125
Bench 100
Bb Row 110
Deadlift 135
OHP 60

Am I doing decent considering I was a shut in NEET that hasn't exercised for an entire year?

I was pretty worried about my ohp because I keep stalling and can't manage to progress on this lift.

Keep it up brah, those numbers are pretty unimpressive but i guess not so bad for a skelly. Dont forget to get your protein, calories and sleep for most efficient muscle gain

>OHP
>squat
>bench
Why are these skeletons and fat asses obsessed with these arbitrary values? You're not going to get anywhere doing your max all the time.

Do you max every other week, once, to track your progress (if any) to see where you're falling short. Your every day exercises should be compound exercises on an area of your body then letting it rest the next day and doing a different area.

Mon: Chest
Tues: Legs
Wed: Arms
Thurs: Shoulders
Fri: Back

Rest the weekend. A very easy and convenient set up for anyone and will work wonders for a newbie.

First, I would start the workout with OHP so your energy isn't depleted. Second, shoulders are the toughest muscle group to grow in my opinion. I might suggest tossing in one or two isolated lifts at the end to really hit them hard. Maybe lateral raises and front raises.

My question for you is how many calories are you getting everyday? Can't expect gains and strength increases if you're eating at a calorie deficit

Its not single rep max theyre talking about, this is 5x5.... and the goal of that program is to steadily add weight to those lifts.

Appreciate it lad, at least I'm making progress.

One thing I have realised is that I don't really have many protein rich foods at my place, I have to start buying more chicken and Greek yogurt.

I find it hard to eat more than 75 grams of protons per day.

I had the same problem as you, drinking whey protein shakes with milk should help you get to ~155 grams along with actual food

OHP is hard to progress because the shoulder is a small, weak little shit. You can micro load it, or do accessories such as skullcrushers or front and lateral raises. However I would hold off on the accessories until you transition to an intermediate program and just focus on having good ohp form. Alan thralls video for this is good. My OHP was shit for a while, but after two years of lifting I finally hit 80% BW at 230 lbs, so it takes a while. As a beginner and even as an intermediate lifter, you shouldn't go too hard on your shoulders. They are very weak. One time, after doing OHP, I decided to throw in some Incline press and got tendinitis in my rotator cuff, and that shit takes forever to heal.

Either way it's not for people who just started working out. You'll take forever to build muscle if this is how you're starting out.

Why is Veeky Forums so afraid of grabbing a pair of dumb bells? Do some 3 sets of 8, curls, hammer curls, shoulder presses, flys, chest presses, etc.

You're not going to get anywhere doing 5 sets of 5.

75grams of protein...? You need to get much more than that my dude.. I'm talking like > 170grams. Also, make sure you're getting at least 200g carbs and 60g fat (this is assuming you're looking for gains)

Personally if I were you I would go on a month or two diet and start counting calories. The reason being is it teaches you a) discipline in your workouts & diet. b) it will teach you how many and what kind of macronutrients certain food has, which will come in handy for the rest of your life.

Cut off some of that fat, then hop on a massive gains plan. Meal replacement shakes will be your best friend for gains. Contrary to their name, don't actually replace meals with them, just toss them on top of your original diet

nah senpai

>don't do compound exercises when you start out, you won't get anywhere
>do isolation movements instead

...stop giving advice

Appreciate the advice

Yeah 1gram/lb is recommended right?

How the fuck am I supposed to eat 180g protein a day???

I eat like 120g protein 3 full meals and a snack a day

That's literally not what I said.

None of those exercises I listed were isolation. But keep worrying about your OHP and benches and wondering why you never get any gains.

When you're ready to actually pack on muscles, shut your mouth and listen.

2 scoop

>curls
>hammer curls
>flys
yeah no isolation at all, you're right.

that is why you supplement.

one scoop of protein plus milk is roughly 30-45g of protein.

If you have 2 of them a day you can meet your needs.

Eat 500g of mince for lunch and then eat 500g of chicken for dinner

>STARTING Strength
>Is not for people who are starting working out

ok hombre

>put food in proton accelerator
>shoot protons at food
>food fuses to new super-protonized food
>mfw have to eat it fast because of creatine decay

Seems about right for 9 months

Flyes and hammer curls are literally isolation movements. There's nothing wrong with beginners doing them, but they're certainly isolation.

If you consider those work outs isolation then so are bench presses and overhead presses. Both mainly work out a chest / shoulder and triceps.

Curls, biceps and forearms. Hammer curls, same thing but different movement and focus. Excellent for grip. Flys, chest and arms.

There's no benefit to bench pressing when you're a beginner benching 100lbs. What do you think you're going to accomplish benching 100 pounds besides laughs from people looking at you?

Every trainer and lifter will agree dumb bells are superior to barbells. You can even look it up online if you want.

They offer a much wider range of movement and are better for your joints. Dumb bells bench presses > barbell bench presses. It's like this for virtually every exercise.

Don't get me wrong, barbells have their uses and should definitely compliment your work out. But relying on them is going to stagnate you and you will be lifting for a year with hardly any results because you're doing the same fucking movement. Your muscles needs different work outs and different movements to keep growing. Do bench presses for a year straight and you will be stuck on the same weight for months.

Like I said though, keep doing what you're doing and wonder why you don't have any muscles to show for it.

This is bait

that's way too much protein dude. 150 should be enough.

gotta confuse the muscles, right babe?

No.

If all you do is OHP, deadlifts and bench presses you will not get any gains. If you don't believe me, keep doing that. See where you are in a year. You'll be the same size and bitter that your meme website played you like a piano with their clickbait articles.

The ONLY way you will gain muscle is by pushing your muscles to the limits. By doing reps until failure. By hitting the same muscle in different ways with complimenting work outs.

But you can stick to your 100lb bench presses and in a month you can bump it up 110lb. It's your life, waste it how you want to.

the point of 5x5 is every workout you increase the weight. But what do I know, I do compound exercises and not curls and chest fly's all day.

Yeah and the fact that you don't have shit to show for it should tell you you're doing something wrong. But keep doing it.

All the body builders who swear by shit like curls and flys are wrong and your puny ass benching 100lbs is right.

yeah all the body builders who swear by curls and flys are also juicing their brains out, and still do compound exercises like bench press, OHP, squats, etc.

>and still do compound exercises like bench press, OHP, squats, etc.
That's the fucking point cupcake. Fuck off with your frog and actually listen to somebody instead of thinking you know everything.

If all you're doing for your chest is bench presses, you will get nowhere. If all you're doing for your shoulders is OHP, you will get nowhere. You need to incorporate different work outs. And guess what, some of those can be isolation! Isolation isn't always a bad thing. Just don't use them a lot.

So you know, go ahead and blame it on the roids. But you will get nowhere fast doing 5x5 bench presses, OHP and squats 3 times a week.

Introduce some fucking dumbbells. Not hard. Stop being lazy. You won't get big being lazy.

OP here

I have another question.
If I want to add more pull ups/ chin ups as accessory lifts to my work out, do I add them on my A days or B days

A = Squat, Bench, Barbell Rows
B = Squat, OHP, Dead-lift.

I'm not the one doing SS/SL 5x5 exercises, and I personally include isolation exercises, but it's terrible advice to tell a newbie not to do compounds and focus on isolation exercises.

>If all you do is OHP, deadlifts and bench presses you will not get any gains
most brosciency post ever.
better not do any reps in the 6-8 range either op.
AND REMEMBER 3x12 Is BEst Muscle Builder!!

welcome to Veeky Forums
my point of view is all that matters, and I don't want to understand where people are coming from.

That's not what I said ever.

>Your every day exercises should be compound exercises on an area of your body then letting it rest the next day and doing a different area.
That's what I initially stated and everything went to shit. The key word is exercises. On a chest day, you don't want to just do bench presses. This is what I gathered from this thread, people obsessed over these numbers. You need to do more than just one compound exercise and there is NOTHING wrong with throwing in isolations at the end of the work out.

But people deliberately misquoted me or didn't bother reading what I said fully and it escalated into an argument over facts.

This is why the version of SS were looking at is the first stage of the program, and only lasts 3-4 weeks. Exercises are added to these afterwards

It's true. You will plateau after a few months. You won't get big by doing one exercise per muscle group. This is a fact. Not something you can meme your way out of. No trainer or lifter will advocate just doing OHP, squats and bench presses.

>This is why the version of SS were looking at is the first stage of the program, and only lasts 3-4 weeks.
So this entire thread is people worrying about their gains they've made in 3-4 weeks?

Am I really going back and forth with people who just started lifting a few weeks ago? Holy fucking shit.

This board is fucking cancer some times.

Not necessarily, just people that didn't read the fucking book

You sound like the most pretentious prick in the world. You suck your dad's cock with that potty mouth?

there's a book?

Nothing more pretentious tan people who been working out for a couple of weeks claiming to be experts.

I'm really done with this thread. Most of you guys just started working out and yet are completely closed to any sort of feedback. Maybe in 6 months when you have no gains you'll come back and try things differently.

maybe in 6 months with no gains ill focus on my curls and chest flys which will get my gains back on track

Being sarcastic and quoting me out of context isn't going to change the fact that you're out of shape and scrawny. But okay bro. Enjoy your 100lb benches. Max gainzzzz

>come back and listen

Read your own posts mate, you aren't helpful to anyone. You just sound like a butthurt idiot who can't be informative but insists they are. Get off your high horse.

This guy.

I am def a beginner, started about a year ago with only dumbbells and body weight. Def made gains, sure. But 4 months in i got a power cage and a bar, started that 5x5 program (but also still do 3x10 curls and flys and pullups and sit-ups til failure). Anyway, my point is that my visible gains and increases in strength have been hugely improved with the 5x5 routine. Its night and day difference. Those compound exercises are the most efficient stregth training workouts imo.

>but also still do 3x10 curls and flys and pullups and sit-ups til failure
So you agree with me but insist I'm wrong?

I really don't understand what's wrong with Veeky Forums. I came in and said you need to add more exercises and not just bench press and I get shit on but people like you shit on me by agreeing with me.

Whatever

You literally said that as a beginner there is no benefit to bench pressing.

You're wrong.

Yes. As a beginner, if all you do is bench presses you won't do shit. I stand by that. You won't even hit your chest properly because your triceps will give out first.

have you considered that maybe you don't know what youre talking about and that everybody that does know what theyre talking about doesnt agree with you

Considering this thread is full of people who admit they only been lifting for a few weeks? No. I wouldn't entertain that. It's pretty common knowledge that only doing bench presses isn't really going to get you big. You need to add different routines to the mix.

But this common knowledge by people who actually lift, but a bunch of scrawny Veeky Forums posters. I'll choose to results from experience over people who read more articles about lifting then they actually lift.

post body and how many years lifting

From my experience... the best way to improve a lift is to do more of said lift...
so If my bench is struggling I'm going to do more volume..
not hit a crap load of curls and flies.