LANDWHALE - I WANT TO EXERCISE MORE

I'm morbidly obese (400+ lbs). I haven't exercised in years, but I watched this TED talk a few days ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=hBSVZdTQmDs

So I hit the gym for the first time in decades, and walked for an hour. I did the same thing the next day. And the next.

Day 4, I already worked out today for 90 minutes ago and three hours later I want to go work out more today.

Is two workouts a day too much? What should I know to avoid injuring myself?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.dilbert.com/post/102964992706/goals-vs-systems
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Already exercised for 90 minutes today doing light cardio. My body wants to go exercise, is it safe to continue? How do I know when to stop?

Doctor

Eh, fuck it.

If I break anything they can airlift me to a hospital or something.

you're just walking mate, you're not going to fucking explode or something for hitting the hidden daily walk limit. it's good you're so motivated to get out there again, you should feel happy about it. but you need to understand it's the long term dedication that matters, you're on a good high right now, but the real test comes when that goes away and you need to drag yourself to do it. just remember to stay hydrated, your body has to work REAL fuckin hard to keep you moving, chug that shit.

also, if you're morbidly obese, your weight problem comes from your diet, you can look up calculators online everywhere for what your maintenance is, adjust under that accordingly to what you're comfortable with. with that and exercise you'll be looking like a human again in no time. don't go extreme with like 1k calories a day or something right off the bat, it's a lifestyle change overall. i hope these things ring clear to you, it's never too late to turn things around.

Thats so badass. Youll be one of the guys that actually turns his life around. Instead of just watching it waste away while you cry putting more food in your mouth wondering why you cant stop, when you just did!!! Proud of you user.

If you want to add some spice and motivation, plan a goal in your head.
If you know what you want to achieve, it is going to be fucking amazing to crush it.
My recommendation is
>google couch to 5k plan
>print it out and hang it in front of the fridge or something like that
>check weight atleast once every week to see progress and hang a chart with your weight loss next to the plan

Keeps you reminded why you started and makes you aware fo the goals to come.

proud of you man. I'm in a similar boat.

you don't see fat people exercising. why? I'm not fucking sure. Either the fat people become fit, or they give up exercising. it's not hard to choose which side you want to be on.

Lost a ton of weight myself. Read the sticky, it will make you win. Don't give up.

I read the sticky.

Walked for another hour. About halfway through my whole body felt like I was in a warm bath. Felt easy. Felt effortless. Felt great.

I might go for another walk after work.

This is the first time I haven't tried killing myself at the gym. I'm just taking my time, setting a good pace, and enjoying the pleasure of moving.

Man, you just reinvigorated me. I started at 356, im at 199 right now. two years. I started 90 mins a day treadmill and gradually increased my pace. After that I walked at the highest incline possible but at lower speeds. Just remember diet is nore important than exercise for weight loss, I started eating clean and my weight loss skyrocketed. Currently at 199 approx 17% bf. You can do it man, you're a serious inspiration!

Holly Shit, good job user! Remember to eat healty and rest enough. Is not about training HARD, is about training HARD and SMART.

DON'T LISTEN ABOUT THESE PEOPLE TELLING YOU TO "HAVE A GOAL".

That doesn't work.

According to based Dilbert merchant Scott Adams, it's better to have a system.

Systems instead of goals.

That's going to keep you mentally happy and accomplished and also impart you with habit forming activity.

Don't believe me.

Believe based Dilbert merchant.

blog.dilbert.com/post/102964992706/goals-vs-systems

Also buy his book How to fail at everything and still win.

>199
>17% bf

You must be a retard

6'3 sorry manlet

When will they learn?

Sometimes I'm not sure if Dilbertman's blog is actually a good read or if I'm being persuaded.

I love based persuasion man

you only have to last 1 month. 1 month of commitment and resisting temptation. After that it will come so easy to you, the weight will drop off. Just power through it, don't be a bitch. Good luck OP

congratulations user
i'm gonna watch the video and tell you how much bullshit it is. probably a lot since TEDx is trash (not to be confused with regular TED)
but anyway, you will progress fine if you keep your current rythm, but also be careful about what you eat

I didn't know what to expect from the video, i just played half of it at 2x speed and it doesn't really talk about exercise itself, more like the benefits it has on education

doesn't matter, just read the sticky and you'll be gtg

What caught my attention was that the school children exercised 45 minutes a day in the morning, and the school had a 3% obesity rate compared to the 30% national statistic. The children at that school also had higher than average test scores.

Amazing benefits of exercise.

First of all, way2go but keep it up.

Secondly, who was the fattest person who ever posted to Veeky Forums?

Yeah, the chinese knew about this thousands of years ago.
Many other nations picked up on this too.
However, America wants it's people stupid and easily manipulated.
So...out goes playground time, pe, basic workout programs and basic health programs.

honestly, the best way to lose weight will be to cut out all sugar, even go ketogenic.

and walk literally as much as u possibly can.

it will take you 1-2 years to get to 150-200 pounds.

The truth is, walking is the safest easiest and most doable exercise you can ever do.
The second is tai chi
The third is swimming
The last is simple calisthenics

You can walk for HOURS every single day with the only real downside being the wear on your joints. And that comes from you being so heavy. Which will be taken care of in quick order for two reasons
1.More walking = less of an appetite and less time to eat, which is without a doubt the most important thing when it comes to losing weight
2.More walking = your body eating into that fat stores and stored energy in your body and wanting to help build your muscles and joints and bones and organs so that you can become better and more efficient at walking.

All you need to do, all you seriously need to do is to make small changes in your diet like cutting out certain things here and there. Not eating anything premade/junkfoods/fastfoods during the week or during certain days
Drinking more and only water.

Things like that.
You'll see the pounds MELT off.

Look into intermittent fasting eventually. But one change at a time is Good enough

>The second is tai chi

I'd suggest doing 30 min weight routine and then going for 30-60 min cardio (mind you go for 60% max heart rate)

Are you retarded?

>tai chi
lol include me in the screenshot

Be careful not to burn yourself out. You didn't gain all your weight over night, you won't be losing it over night, either. Just take baby steps for now. Your concern right now shouldn't be so much about losing the weight, but building the healthy habits that lead to healthy weight loss. Get yourself used to the routine. Get your taste pallet used to healthier foods. Try getting a handle on your stress/anxiety if you have it.

Brute force only takes you so far, and leaves the high chance to go back to your old ways. If you want to truly solve your weight problem you got to take care of the problems that are indirectly pushing you towards obesity.

Ideally you should exercise 6 days a week, for no longer then 1 hour per day while eating healthy.

That is really all it takes.

The only workouts I want to hear a morbid fatty brag about are fork-putdowns and plate-pushaways, bitch nigga.

The more you enjoy moving, though, the more motivated you'll be to perform these two exercises. So sure, keep that up.

1. Disregard all advice given thus far (except if it's Read the sticky)
2. Read the sticky
3. If you MUST do """exercise""" the only cardio you should do is swimming and/or stationary bike. Keep off of your feet as humanly possible. Be kind to your knees.

No. Exercise is great. If you feel like you can exercise for three hours, then go on and do it.

But you should know that the key to losing weight is eating less. Count calories, fill up on vegetables, and make sure that you're eating at a deficit every day. Exercise is very good for you, but you need to realize that the main way to lose weight is to eat less.

lmao i almost googled those

Take it slow OP. The enthusiasm is undoubtedly good for you, but know that at your weight your body hasn't been used much in a while. Your joints ( knees especially) are going to need time to strengthen and catch up with your gung ho mind.

Every year around this time ( New Years especially) people get that same sort of motivation, only to get crushed by injury or discouragement from a lack of progress that keeps up with their desires, ultimately leading them back to the same lifestyle that made them infirm in the first place.

Know that no matter how strong you think you are mentally or physically, you will have many failures in both on your journey. A person's patience and dedication to change themselves in spite of this is what separates the pack of wishy-washy new years resolution losers from zero-to-hero success stories that will not only garner envy and respect from your peers, but serve as a tale of hope for others who have the same struggles.

If you have money meet with a good trainer and have them make you an eating / workout plan. best way to start and you'll be more likely to stick with it. wishing you the best user, you will make it

the west knew all this shit, too. until the 60s happened and a bunch of hippie shitters started dismantling society brick by brick.