Light weights or powerbuilding

Every time I see videos from the old school greats from around Arnold's time, they are using really light weights, for up to 15 reps and lots of sets. Hilarious weights even, like 35 lbs dumbells for bench or 40 lbs barbell for curls.

Nowadays, everyone uses powerbuilding with low reps and sets.

Why is that? Both are using roids obviously, yet the old school greats had very different (dare I say "better") bodies. Is it because of their pump/volume training?

>Nowadays, everyone uses powerbuilding with low reps and sets.

Who is everyone

Everyone is everyone and their dog.

Jay Cutler did not powerlift.

The difference between bodybuilders now and bodybuilders back in the 70s is dieting and the amount of growth hormones added onto steroids. Not to mention there was no such thing as the supplement industry in the 70s.

>Jay Cutler did not powerlift.
>140 shoulder press
Sure didn't.

More volume = better muscle.

You gain strength almost as good as with heavy weights and much more endurance.

Speaking from experience here. Powerbuilding is a fad, just like HIT was in the 90s.

Arnold benched 500+ IIRC

Everyone who looks good does low weight high reps. Everyone.

I remember laughing at Dwayne Johnson benching 120 lbs dumbells - the total isn't even his bodyweight. And he was acting like it was a huge deal.

I dunno, man. On Pumping Iron and all his photos, the weight looks fucking tiny. Then again, there are also a few pics with him lfiting heavy. Dunno what#s up with that.

wrong, during the golden rea they relied very much on big heavy compound movements, arnold was really strong and franco columbo was like the strongest man.

nowadays they lift lighter with much hypertrophy. They do however hold big weights during photoshoots so they will look really powerful.

Nobody could beat Arnold, look at that body. Ronnie is up there and may have overall more mass, but Arnold was the king of aesthetic bodybuilding.

>no roid gut
>perfect insertions
>not over the top looking like a freak

clearly recent bodybuilders' goal is just to get as retardedly huge as possible

and they are all manlets today, that's why they look bulky

that was just posing for photo-ops and getting a sick pump in. He'd already built himself up and was basically just keeping his blood flowing at that point

Wow, how new are you? Look at basically anyone besides Columbo and weep. Nubret, Oliva, that one Italian guy. Hilariously low weights, but it worked.

Volume training fell out of favor during the late 90s, when HIT reigned supreme because it was spammed on the internet.

Problem is that volume training is really much, much harder than a few low rep sets and then shooting up some Tren. You don't even need cardio with a volume approach and it takes a fuckhuge amount of time and calories to work.

It doesn't matter.

As you're a dirty Natty, that will only make mediocre gains.

stay pathetic.

The reason bodybuilders look different today is because they're using more drugs and a larger amount of everything. Drugs, and getting enough food, is what decides your results when you're as roided as modern day bb:ers. Training literally doesn't matter.

They did heavy weights back then too. It is just a large mix. Look at every bodybuilder out there who has done videos Wolff to Kai all do super light weight stuff and some very heavy sets. Kai for instance will incline bench 5 pl8s then go do curls with 35s and seated shoulder press 115.

Not really low weight. Just moderately low weight.
That shit is BRUTAL and requires ridiculous levels of endurance and pain tolerance.

You'll get ridiculous mass gains and great strength stamina but if you're a natural?
You'll be outright knackered and have no energy for anything else.

Shoulder presses are powerlifting. Being strong is not powerlifting. Competing in powerlifting meets is powerlifting.

They are using high-volume/medium weight because it is the most effective way to train. What you call "powerbuilding" is a fad that gained traction with the whole SS/5x5 routines that dominate forums. When you do high-volume training you are building, hence the name bodyBUILDING, while when you do an LP you are essentially peaking yourself to what your maximum strength should be at that given time. If you want hypertrophy - volume, volume, volume and more volume. The food will take care of itself because the more you train, the more your body wants to eat to facilitate the demand that is being placed on it. If you want strength, run a peaking bloc after the hypertrophy one.

To further drive this point, a 5x5 row with 80 kg is 2000 kg total work. 5x10 with 60 kg is 3000 kg and after that you could still do dumbell rows, machines and other back work, without completely gassing yourself out.

therefore Shoulder presses = Competing in powerlifting meets?

I should have paid more attention during math classes because I don't get this equation

I think he only did 315 for reps

>Shoulder presses are powerlifting.
No