Heathen Conversion to Christianity

I am an unbaptized heathen who is feeling more and more drawn to Christianity and wondering if I should go with Orthodoxy or Catholicism.

The same coin with two sides. I don't know...do you see the patriachs or the pope as more legitimate? You could also fuck baptizing and be a free christian who follows his own doctrine

I think you should go with neither, pick up a bible, start praying, and get to know God yourself without a middle man...or rather through the only true middle man in history. Jesus Christ.

Honestly?
If you are gonna convert choose either Catholic or Orthodoxy depending on which is more prolific where you live
You can still go to mass to either of them after the conversion they mutually respect each other

This
I am catholic because of my family and social circle

If you have to choose between those two I'd go with Orthodoxy. It's kind of dying but it's more resistant to negative change. If you really want a good experience though I'd go with Pentecostalism for sure.

>get to know god through the bible
Isn't that the best way to end up rejecting him ?

I think we all do that, with religion or otherwise... form our own opinions. Being taught by a preist and being part of a community makes you no less free thinking.

In the USA where I live, it is definitely Catholicism. But I live in a big city and there are a handful of Orthodox churches also.

I am leaning towards Catholicism, but I was wondering if people had any theological reasons for choosing one over the other.

Catholicism and Orthodoxy are pretty similar in the core beliefs..
Even from a theological point of view the filioque is no cause of damnation
It's just a misunderstanding that we will only clarify after death

>I was wondering if people had any theological reasons for choosing one over the other
No, on Veeky Forums people don't argue theology, they argue the stupid irrelevent shit like child-fucking priests and prosperity gospel pastors.

So would you say that the difference is more cultural than anything else?

I usually lurk on /pol/ so anything is a step up.

I don't believe so, no. The God described in the Bible is no less than awesome.

Try Islam if you really want to convert, Trinity worship is still heathen.

Why would you need a priest if you can think for yourself. Why need a (literal) echochamber called church if you, once you have decided of course, are sure about your beliefs?
Please call me out if I'm too revisionistic now, but remember that the clerics and church was to certain degree used to keep the peasents as little sheeples

Surely it is, there are different beliefs that you can still study or personal adhere even if you are catholic or othodox
For example orthodox believe God can save even people damned to hell
Also, if you don't want to have a patron saint you don't have to in either of them

About advice from priests: The only thing they say is that everything that happens to you, just or unjust, is according to Gods plan. Well, most of them do, some are actually wise men, but so are most elders.

Not always, a good priest if you are keen to hear can relate your mortal problems to the divine plan, and explain how to behave more accordingly to God's Law

There is also the community aspect of it. Obviously I think people should form their own opinions and not blindly follow others. But I think that almost 2000 years of history might offer some wisdom that I, a single person, might not come to by myself just from reading the bible.

It isn't just about advice for me. It is about a philosophy too. It helps to speak to an expert about these things...

You're thinking of the God from the Old Testament, the first half of the christian Bible is just a compilation of Jewish books.
In the Old Testament, God absolutely hates Jews, because they always ended up fucking up with whatever God came up with (Adam, commandments, Sodom and Gomorrah, etc). So he said fuck it, came in the form of Jesus, realized that no set of rules would ever fix us and that the only thing left was just believe in him (through Jesus).

Satan quads, go away deceiver
I honestly think that OT God is pretty strong and cool

Jesus doesn't hate the jews user, He's saddened by their actions both in the OT and NT but He really doesn't hate them

Sounds like some fortune-teller shit

>It is about a philosophy too. It helps to speak to an expert about these things...
You're talking about religion, mate, it's mostly dumb shit. If you want to discuss philosophy, talk to people interested in philosophy, not someone who has devoted their life to an illogical dogma and blind unreasoning faith.

Going to priest to talk about philosophy is like going to an alt-righter to talk about political theory.

It's more about you bettering yourself by stopping to do evil than getting results like a new love or money

Sure, but the "descended" God Jesus didn't "exist" in the OT, God in there is very much portrayed as pissed off at Jews.

Man, why are you here to shit on OP and His beliefs?
The thread is clear, he asked about orthodoxy and catholicism, do you really have to shit up the thread?
It's okay to be sceptic but come on you are just being a dick

Get ye gone Satan!

>Muh feewwings ;___;

This is a board for social sciences. If he wants a religious echo chamber, he can go to reddit or eightchan. Both have christian boards. Eightchan even has two, one for normal people and one for gnostics.

And you're right, but the thread is about the distinction of Catholic and Orthodox theology
Not about anything else really, if you need to type shit type about that

>the thread is about the distinction of Catholic and Orthodox theology
OP is asking which he should join, posting a picture that should make it obvious that he is joking. Fucking look at it, nobody with an IQ over room temperature would look at that and wonder which is better.

He's the filioque, retard
Last you i'm giving (you) you are just ruining the thread for everyone that wanted a discussion about it

You're not even comprehensible anymore. Take your meds.

You want to love your family?
You want to dedicate to work?
You want to dedicate to art?
You want to serve the greater good?
Then do it!
On the other hand, no one stops you living according to an ancient code of law, if it is what you really seek in life... And if you do, you are more than capable to read it for yourself and interpretate it in your way

*cough* interpret

>Curse adam and eve for using their free will
>Curse humanity for the sin of their parents
>Wipe them out when they follow their own morals, curse them some more when they start getting their shit together
>After millenias of damned generations finally sacrifice his son (but he's not dead) to lift this curse (but we still die)
That's awful not awesome.

The Orthodox and Catholics are not in communion, so you can go to mass (at least Catholic mass - missals always say all are welcome to attend, I don't know about Orthodox but the priest I spoke to many years ago was happy to have me attend some time) but you cannot receive the blessed sacrament.

Filioque just stands as an example for (theological) differences of both denominations. Plus OP didn't ask which better. KYS faggot.

That's pretty fucking metal

Blatant nonsense. Catholics can legally reveive the sacraments from orthodox Priester and vice versa.

I think you need to ask yourself if you believe that one man can credibly invoke infallibility. The tradition of both churches are similar, but you cannot ignore looming structure of the Catholic church. I would go with Orthodoxy, specifically the American Orthodox Church if you don't fit into any of the ethnocentric ones ie Greek , Russian , Coptic , and Armenian.

You don't need a church to be Christian.

>t . Protestant

No, outside of McChurches, they can't

If so proudly so. Fuck popery. Fuck literalism though, read the books but keep an open mind to the historical context. The strength of Christianity is that it really isn't tied to a static text and comes in all sorts of flavours while somehow all falling under the banner of a smart dude who told us to stop being dickwads. Find your own Christianity and live it.

Why not just go with Orthodoxy that uses established tradition and history, but rejects the supremacy of any one man.

That's a lateral move at best, user. You need to begin a relationship with your Creator, not join a club with funny hats.

By the way, this pope not only "ended" the reformation on October 31, 2017, but he also ended the "filoque controversy" with the patriarch of Constantinople.

Because it does not know how to save people, and may not even want to know.

In Daniel, there's a statue of empires that has two iron legs representing Rome, East and West.

There is no difference between Rome, East and West. They're both pagan, and they're both going to be destroyed by the Rock that is Christ Jesus.

Yes, your understanding of Christianity is awful.

What are you going on about. Salvation is a lifelong journey in orthodoxy. If you think being a good christian means making a declaration of faith then shirking observance then you are naive.

Exactly.

In reality, it's instantaneous.

>good christian

Another tell that you are not a born again Christian, but a deceived unbeliever. So sad. You're missing heaven by 18 inches; the distance between your brain and your heart.

Two things: the only thing to a Christian that is life long here on earth is the maturity process. Salvation is instant; redemption is instant; sanctification is instant; and glorification will be instant.

You're confusing "obtaining salvation" with "walking out your salvation".

But first, you must be saved. Caterpillars cannot fly, no matter how much they think they can. And you're a caterpillar.

>bible is all you need

>learns the bible changed over hundreds of years
>those were false bibles

By your logic if we gave an animal intellect like a human it could be saved if it accepted Christ. In His Image is a crucial concept. We will never attain perfection in this life but we can strive towards it by embodying Christ. If someone embodies the ideals of Christ without knowing of him, he is still saved

OP, do this. Actually reading the bible is the best way to understand that christianity is a waste of time.

Animals have intellect.

Animals have no soul, and no Kinsman Redeemers. Neither do angels.

Only humans, because God became a human being in order to redeem human beings.

>We will never attain perfection in this life

You won't, not by doing what you're doing.

I have, and so has every other born again Christian. Not to you, whose opinion does not matter, but to God, and in God's eyes.

>dividing Christendom in two due to autistic quibbles about details in fucking Jewish fairytales
no wonder the Muslims will take us out
they have one faith, God is one, no nonsense
just pure fanatical devotion to conquering the world

Orthodoxy is what I would choose, but That's based on History and theological doctrine, and wether or not I get to wear a crown when I'm married.

>We shouldn't stress the details of Christianity simply because the muslims are more or less homogeneous

YES
some military coup needs to happen in Christianity
unite the churches, decide on ONE creed, then move forward
make the texts in Sanskrit or Klingon, don't allow the plebs to complain or edit it

Already done but people didn't care about that and now we are here

>They have one faith
They don't, user
Islam is even more fucked up than christianity when it comes to schisms.

The divisions and diversity are its strength. Mormons, Jehovas, Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox all agree on the basics, the important things. Baptism, communion, the trinity etc. all pale in significance to being a good person who loves thy neighbour, turns the other cheek and being willing to forgive.

Only one has the doctrine of papal infallibility. The Vatican's doctrine of being the supreme church seems eerily fascist.

But Sunni and Shia Muslims are constantly at each others throats

muslims spend more time blowing each other up over differences in faith than they do to non-muslims ya simp

fascists are we wuz roman larpers while the vatican really wuz rome

Is it "Holy Spirit" or "Holy Ghost"? Which is more accurate?

I seems that it's not as easy as I have stated above. However, it's not as simple as you say. The catholic position is: Roman Catholics are allowed to receive the communion in an orthodox church under some circumstances and vice versa. However, the orthodox church seems to bis much stricter about that: Neither are Catholics allowed to attend the communion, nor are orthodox Christians allowed to receive the communion from a catholic priest, except for very rare circumstances.

Whatever, since orthodox patriarchs don't claim infallibility it's perfectly possible to not agree with this this bunch of episcopal shitheads and answer Christ's call for the communion in whatever church feels appropriate.

> b-but muh calvinism

Just btw Witnesses don't believe in the trinitary.

>Mormons,
>agree on the basics

Yeah, I said positions on those were trivial compared to Christ's actual teachings.

Okay maybe the mormons are a bit extra special.

>Mormons agree on the basics

Was it autism?

Fuck I don't know man I never let them talk that long, do they at least read about the sermon on the mount?

>scroll down
>see the top half of a feels post, recognize it (if one can be said to "recognize" purposeful scribbles)
>hide it
>the bottom part of the post gets pushed up revealing a long list of replies, possibly the most in the thread

EVERY TIME

Just how new are you people? Didn't even the normalfags sites get the memo? Don't feed the trolls. You want me to translate that to neo4chanese? Don't give (You)s to the shitposters.

Your right, I didn't read your previous post properly. Thought you stated that trinity would be one of those core concepts (which it is IMHO since almost all denomination are trinitary)

How new are you that you think telling people not to feed trolls does anything

Personally user I prefer the term "Ghost" to "Spirit" as Ghost implies more of a personhood than Spirit.
Really there is no difference between the two terms though.

Not even close to being true.

A Calvinist wouldn't waste a second trying to convert you.

they believe Jesus is Michael the Archangel

Not even close. A fortuneteller makes up some bullshit about what is going to happen in your future, a priest will listen to your problems and tell you what the right thing to do is.

LOL. You're fucking retarded. Do the words Shia and Sunni mean anything to you?

New and old Churches have a very basic difference.
How do they agree on the basis?

The old churches believe that you have to be a porper human that lives after the rules god gave us and new churches believe that the rules god gave as are worthless and you just have to believe.

That's what I call a very basic disagreement.

>this is what Protestantism does to you
Animals have a body and soul. Humans have a body, soul and spirit.

Just don't go proddie, OP.

Prove it.
>tips fedora

I wonder who's behind this post.

Not previous poster, just want to ask what you consider 'old church'.

>satan quads
Gee, I wonder who could be behind this post

>You should ignore 2000 years of history, tradition, and development from scholars dedicated to theological matters and believe whatever you want based on your limited understanding.

Height of hubris, imo. The community is one of the most important aspects of faith.

Who /attends-orthodox-but-flirting-with-gnostic-heresy/ here?

Dude they believe your spirit chooses your body before you are born and that determines the family you are born to.