Why is it that the French language is STILL the majority Language in Quebec 250 years after British Annexation...

Why is it that the French language is STILL the majority Language in Quebec 250 years after British Annexation, but the former Spanish territories of the USA had more or less lost Spanish speakers by 1900? (Yes, I'm aware parts of South texas speak Spanish as the majority, but this is a new trend)

Or how is it that a hundred years after Prussian annexation, much of the country was still speaking Polish as a majority, yet Breton speakers were gone from France almost entirely by 1700?

Or the fact that the Spanish still have tons of regional dialects, yet the English almost obliterated use of the Irish language under a shorter occupation?

What are the variables behind this stuff?

Perceived prestige plays an important role, many Bretons lost their language willingly because they felt it was a backward and "bumpkin" language, whereas the Quebecois considered themselves culturally and civilizationally superior to the Anglos.

Anglos not willing to impose themselves at risk of starting a pro American revolt in Qc . Also cuck politicians like Trudeau not caring about British heritage and identity.

Except Quebecois are literally descended from criminals and prostitutes. Ya French was the language of nobility, but the Quebecois are as hick as you get.

>Except Quebecois are literally descended from criminals and prostitutes.
So?
>Perceived

You don't find it ironic they consider themselves superior

No, quite the opposite, its the universal attitude of all French """people""".

Please, OP here. Can we not turn this into a nationality pissing contest?

French language on also died out on Louisiana

Typical Angl* subhuman attitude.

But that is essentially the history between federalists and separatists.

>Quebecois are as hick as you get.
You never heard deep swamp Cajun then.

Not true. I still have family that speaks Cajun exclusively, and it was only in the past few years that the local DMV stopped having a dedicated French speaking employee (though there is always some one anyways).

Its also seeing a bit of a revival of late, especially with recent growth sparked by cultural tourism.

Trudeau's family is from Quebec, you can't really call him a cuck for not caring about British heritage.

>Breton Speakers were gone from France almost entirely by 1700
Thats not true though, there were hundreds of thousands of Breton speakers until the early 20th century. Not to mention the French military had a common adage that basically that basically remarked that 90% of French soldiers didn't speak French/Parisien (the implication being they spoke Breton, Gascon, Catalan, Flemish, etc)....this saying was present until at least 1900.

He didn't give a shit about Quebec heritage either. He split the country and the culture in a way that fucked both Quebec and British identity. Canada is a post-national country now because of this division

Idiot poltards use cuck to mean person who disagrees with me

Why they fuck should canadians Care about "british heritage"? Would want to stay as far away from it as i could if i was canadian.

Seems alright from where I'm sitting.

The British took active measures to preserve French language and Catholicism to prevent a chimpout, which actually worked. The former Spanish territories which are now part of USA were flooded with English speakers which caused the relative proportion of Spanish speakers to decline; the Spanish speaking population was never removed or assimilated as the USA has no official language.

the french are giga-autistic
/thread

There were very few Spaniards/Mexican nationals living in the annexed southwestern territories. In fact there were more amerindians. Probably 90% of latinos in the south west are descended from 20th century and after immigrants

The British basically handed the French everything on a silver platter and more, ensuring democratic governance (As democratic as it could get in those times) and giving the common folk rights.

In doing so, the Quebecois, albeit unhappy about British control, were content. And was the reason why when the American Revolution came the Quebec not only went against it, but supported the British; fearing that the newly formed USA wouldn't respect the cultural and religious values the British had done.

By the time the Quebecois realized they wanted out, American Loyalists and British/Irish immigrants already out numbered the French in BNA 5 - 1.

Metarie here. Wubon wittu, coonass?

there really weren't any people there OP

It's called decentralization

Why do People /thread themselves afterparty a mediocre unfunny reply?

It's cringy asf.

>size and population density
>the attitude of the hegemonic group
>the attitude of the minority group
>economic interests in that area

>Except Quebecois are literally descended from criminals and prostitutes
but it's wrong
france send their criminals in guiana

Can't answer the question about Quebec, but for southern US:

Mexican colonization and Spanish speaking communities were inherently small and disorganized with a lack of unity between them. As American frontiersmen came, their numbers allowed them to displace these smaller populations, eventually setting up towns that would become the focus of trade, meaning if you wanted to participate without getting screwed, you'd better speak English. Compare this to German communities in the south, where up until WW1, they were usually much closer knit and insular, making it easier to preserve their language due to not needing to interact with Anglos very often. During and after WW1, there was a big push to eliminate foreign langauges, especially those of hostile powers in Europe, which manifested as a change in the school systems to force the learning of English before you could meaningfully participate in an education.

There's still several towns along the border that predominately speak Spanish only, due to their proximity to Mexico which allows them to interact meaningfully without knowing English.

Imagining an Anglo pronouncing quebecois makes me cringe.

>Or how is it that a hundred years after Prussian annexation, much of the country was still speaking Polish as a majority,
Poles are (or at least were) retardedly anal about their national identity.
The worst mistake of every power that ever occupied Poland was try to eradicate the language and fight with the culture.
Stalin was the first one to realize that, hence why he never bothered to make Poland a Soviet Repubic after a successul occupation like Lenin and his Cheka lapdog Dzierżyński wanted.

More so vice versa.

Because there's laws in place that protect the French language in Canada/Quebec, such as the Quebec language police or the rules surrounding who is allowed to attend Anglo schools.

Québécois here. We didn't feel superior to Anglo until quite recently and were oppresed quite a but by them. The reason we still speak french is purely by nationalism. French is our culture and we just didn't want to let it go to the oppressor.

Also, the "Je me souviens" which is quebec motto mean that even if we grew in a country ruled by the eternal anglo, our ancestors were frogs and we should honor them

Canadians have no culture of their own, like every anglo you sell every bit of your soul for some coins and trade deals

>Poles are (or at least were) retardedly anal about their national identity.

Doesn't really apply to 1700s and early 1800s. Back then only the nobility and aspiring burgeois considered themselves "Polish", most of the peasant population just considered themselves "local" or "Christian" when asked about identity. The parts of Poland occupied by Prussia were pretty urbanized, so Polish identity was pretty strong. But in the parts claimed by Russia, Polish identity was mostly eradicated or wasn't that strong to begin with, with commoners favouring Ruthenian or Lithuanian dialects.

>But in the parts claimed by Russia, Polish identity was mostly eradicated or wasn't that strong to begin with
Entire territory of congress Poland was majority Polish all the way to the end of WW2 when Soviets took over and expulsed everyone.

The French coerced their bastard 'language' on refined Occitans, industrious Flemish, grave Basques and good Bretons. They were cultural genociders.

>yet Breton speakers were gone from France almost entirely by 1700?

Wrong, breton and other regional languages really became endangered in early XXth century. I think it was Victor Hugo who said that more of half the population of France (not counting the colonies) was speaking another language than french at home.

I'm from brittany and my grand-parents first language was breton, one of my grandmother didn't even spoke french until she was 14/15 years old. But yeah the persecution against kids who didn't spoke french at school was pretty bad when they told me about it.

Since François Ier the local languages were repressed in France, it didn't really worked for a very long time but with the arrival of television and radio and people not giving a shit anymore they disappeared a lot
It's only since recently that the government is making efforts to conserve them instead of the exact opposite

>keep administration in french
>teach French in school
How oppressive !

Because the British respected the RIGHTS of the French; that's why the unconditional oath of loyalty was offered in the first place; conversion wasn't necessary, and English education wasn't compulsory. Quebec (Lower Canada) remained French and Catholic. People in Acadia who generally denied the oath were expelled; some of them left to the US and re-immigrated as British subjects in Acadia, gaining their former homes back (My girlfriend is Acadian).
Even natives were given the same right, but they chose to be expelled, because they were loyal to the French. Nobody realizes how much of assholes the French were; they were still under a roman style rule of law, while the British had common law; the Indians were seen as literal peasants under the French rule. When the British took over, they incorporated elements of the Canadian government of Quebec, the Wabanaki confederation (of the Acadian Indians) and the French Acadians themselves.

The reason the British were so great, is because they actually had respect for the peoples they conquered. Americans conquered for economic interests only, often going to war for no reason; this is why modern warfare is camo soldiers rather than suited men; we lost respect for eachother, and act our aggressions upon eachother as if we're absolutely justified .

Actually for a moment we had laws to prohibit the local languages use but nobody cared so it didn't worked
in the end what really did it is the centralisation of medias and people no more keeping the traditions alive

Canada was/is very decentralized
There are constitutional protections for some aspects of Quebecois identity (the right to access public Catholic schools for example)

>yet Breton speakers were gone from France almost entirely by 1700?
Breton was still spoken by half the population of Brittany as far as 1950. Nowadays it's still there, but mostly old people use it in family meetings. However, there is an increase in bilingual classes for French and Breton, but I highly doubt it's going to change much.