Farmers walks

jesus christ Veeky Forums

why didn't you tell me about farmers walks? well let me tell YOU about them. i often hear people hear bemoan their forearm strength. farmers walks are the cure. and maybe the only cure. i now realize that your forearm muscles do very little besides squeeze your hands shut.

i walked down the dirt road to the road just holding a 30lb weight in each hand. i thought i was going to walk to the end and back a few times. wow, nope. by the time i got there, i was about to drop the fucking weights, and i couldn't feel my hands. my forearms, and to a lesser degree my biceps, were on fire.

i needed a rest before i walked back, so i sprinted back down the road and then walked back to the end of it, picked up the weights, and walked home. by the time i reached my front door and put them down, i was gasping for air, breathing very fast, i couldn't feel my arms.

i get back inside. i try to make dinner. i can't grab things. it's not a 'pain or injury' hurt, but the nerves are fired and the muscles exhausted. i can't hold onto things. i find that it's a bit difficult to keep balance. i try to use my computer. it's hard to click and move the mouse or type.

i've never felt my forearms turn to jello like this. farmers walks, emphasizing distance over weight, are the only way to do this. i'm pretty excited about how much forearms and hand/grip gains this is going to result in. my fucking fingers-muscles are on fire. this is going to improve my guitar technique.

you are hereby commanded to incorporate farmers walks into your regular exercise routine.

Other urls found in this thread:

artofmanliness.com/2012/04/27/how-to-make-a-diy-prowler-sled/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Posting in respectable thread.

Can confirm farmer carries are a fantastic exercise. Functional strength exercise AND you feel powerful doing it with heavy weight. I have shit grip strength so I do 65-70lb Dumbbells and go about 30 yards 6 times.

I like using this workout as a finish And a weird form of cardio, because it really does take the wind out of you.

Well done, user.

Go heavier next time, if you're still standing after 50 meters go even heavier.

How far is this stupid dirt road example

Also
>30 pounds
>farmer's walk

More like gardener's walk you fucking faggot

Haha even though I go to the gym 4x a week, carrying my weekly shopping home (1 mile) is always my toughest work out.

Might buy some actual weights and do this on my off days. Good thread OP.

it could be a 30lbs plate you fucking faggot, ever tried pinch holding on of those while walking?

Where do you live that they have 30 pound plates you DYEL faggot

yeah, i don't think it's a good idea to do it before other exercises. you might drop something.

i did about half a mile with a pair of 30lb dumbells, when that stops doing the trick i'll go out and get 50lb dumbells.

quarter mile or so. i dunno man, i'm not very strong, but i'm working on it. i almost didn't make it.

we thought you already knew

Alternative, rock/wall climbing
Same type of forearm burning

>before

I said I use it as a finish m8

say it to me fukken face, i'll hook u in the gabber m8, i sware on me mum

>tfw temperatures outside dropping to -20c soon
Can I just hold the weights without walking? It's not necessary to walk, right?

you never had a job where you had to do physical work huh?

mmh i bet it would be. i wish i had a rock wall.

are you kidding that's perfect temperature for exercising

t. air conditioner in january

yes, i certainly fucking have.

Not that user, but:

Ya don't need to walk if you are pinch holding things - you will feel the burn with appropriate weight.

Also my gym has rubber plates with holes for holding, so grabbing X weight through them would be similarly to the piggy picture above, whereas pinch holding it would be different.

Kek

Yeah mate these are great. And if you don't have farmer's bars in your gym just use dumbbells or a trap bar.

Another GOAT cardio exercise for powerlifting is the prowler. I'm lucky my gym has one.

dude that looks amazing. i'm gonna have to build something for this. imagine how hard you'd be able to push someone if you were used to shoving around 900,000 pounds.

why do those barbells have handles? why doesn't he just hold the barbell?

Makes it less likely to tip one direction or another while he walks. It's a physics thing that an user who majored in engineering could probably tell you.

Here's a guide from a faggy website

artofmanliness.com/2012/04/27/how-to-make-a-diy-prowler-sled/

I have never done a deadlift or squat and don't have any of the issues I hear about on here. If your body is baby tier test and you actually WORK HARD you can be normie fit with nothing but curls (many variation's) bench, flies, farmer walks, push ups, sit ups, and OHP. Any one who says anything beyond that is
1. Working for a greater physique than is typically accepted as normal
2.Following the advice of someone who does
3. Is a meme and doesn't know that core lifts done well beat out 100 weird ass exercises you haven't mastered.
Also I don't use machines ever but they have their place.

i agree with this philosophy of conservative minimalism in exercise.

that being said i'll still deadlift and squat, because i'll have access to a college gym soon, so why not.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE REMIND ME TO DO FARMER WALKS. NOW I HAVE TO REMAKE MY ROUTIEN EXCEL SHEET.

>image related when i get to spend a friday night doing spreadsheets.

Is it acceptable to do this in a treadmill?
My gym isn't large enough to really walk around much in.

hmm, i don't see why not!

Just reminds me of a green text of a guy doing treadmill sprints holding a bar overhead to mess with resolutioners

You'll probably be asked to stop because if you drop one, you'll damage a very expensive machine

in addition to trashing your forearms, farmers walk will hit your traps hard

i can just imagine what i would look like in an upper middle class neighborhood walking down the street with those

You don't need to worry that much
You wouldn't go further than the end of the block and back

>friday

how much of a shut in can you possibly be?

i live at the top of a hill. would i have to drive my car down to the bottom to pick it up?

Farmers walk up and down a steep hill would be an awesome exercise.

ur one cheeky cunt m8

farmers walks are surprisingly hardcore.

juicy forearms here i come

If theres any lift that would make you shorter, it would be the farmers walk

now i'm worried my forearms are small

Spotted the manlet that's worried about his 1/2"

is it possible to do these in my room if i walk back and forth?

yeah, but turning changes things a tiny bit with momentum, and if you walk in a small circle, the arm on the outside will develop disproportionately due to centrifugal force. you can counter this with the coriolis effect by walking counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

what about just walking forwards and then backwards?

as long as you're going north-south

But going South is like going downhill

well, if you walk north-south, you're still straining sideways because the earth is spinning. but if walk east-west, then gravity is actually lower on the side facing the north pole if you're in the norther hemisphere, and the south pole if you're in the southern hemisphere.

>fingers-muscles

there are no muscles in your fingers dipshit

bullshit, they might be small but they're there.

I want to follow your advice but I'm concerned about the gravitational pull exerted by the moon. How should I coordinate my farmer's walks with lunar cycles? I live about 30 miles from the ocean if that helps.

Exercise at midnight during the new one

The moon Earth and Sun will be aligned to pull your weights down
Now you're training like Goku

Don't forget about room temperature. Metal dilates when it gets hotter which means that the weight will shift as the temperature keeps increasing due to the friction with the air as you walk.

unless you live near the shores, i wouldn't worry about the oceans. but if you do, walk towards and away from the ocean, not along it.

since the moon is overhead, pulling on you, it's a major gains goblin. but at the very least you should attempt to orient with the moon directly in front of you or behind you, to avoid working one side more than the other, since it's not directly overhead.

if you're near a north-south shoreline, you'll have to compromise, and do your walks along a n angle that is in between the moon and the shore. ideally, you'd be near a east-west shoreline, so that you can walk with the moon and shore either in front or behind you.

and you should probably see a local medium to consult your horoscope, that sort of stuff is beyond me. i'm sure there are experts on Veeky Forums and /x/ that would be able to better assist you in your farmers walk orientations.

this would be a valid concern, except i think it helps your gains. you might be able to attach fixed horizontal umbrellas on your weights in order to increase drag.

pro tip, relax your traps and shoulders as much as possible when farmer walking

Having strong and larger leg and back muscles are nice for every day stuff. You can also eat more with more muscle.

I'm still reading up on this but I am blown away that it looks like there's no muscles in your fingers.

Guess there is a lack of strongman training here. I did 230lbs per hand for 50ft in 8.4 seconds today.

But weight shifting can alter the balance and compromise the exercise. One needs to take this into consideration and compensate for it when doing Farmer walks.

wrong. Shoulders tight, down and back.

i did 30lbs for roughly 2640 feet, it took me about 10 minutes.
that's 79,200 footpounds of work.
79,200 divided by 600 seconds = farmer force of 132.

you did 230lbs for 50ft, in 8.4 seconds.
that's 11,500 footpounds of work.
11,500 divided by 8.4 seconds = farmer force of 1,369.

How will you let down the weights to stop the treadmill from moving?

I think my solution would be to tell the front desk person that I'll just be in the parking lot with the weights and give them my gym bag or something as collateral so they know I'm not a gains-goblin.

Your finger extensors and flexors are all forearm muscles. There's muscles between your metacarpals but it's not like you have finger-biceps on your middle knuckles or anything.

>source: currently a first year pleb med student

so what you're telling me is that grip strength is directly proportionate to your forearm strength, or rather, that they are one and the same?

forearms = grip, exclusively and singularly?

Pretty much. When you train your grip, you're working muscles that are in your forearm. The only muscles in your hand itself are ab/adductors that move the fingers side to side.

>babby's first a&p class
while this is true, dont forsake the existence of tendons. in fact, even the bones in your hand increase in size and strength due to wolff's law, and so do the tendons due to david's law. the actual muscles in your hand are also important in keeping your fingers and hands safely steady and secure. your hands are a large site of where the big stuff happens even if the actual big muscles themselves are in the forearm.

dude, are you telling me that hand gains are a thing? this is awesome.

marginal gains are possible, yeah. check out the hands of anyone who does physical labor over a long period of time. the bones and tendons in their hands increase in strength and size.

>The only muscles in your hand itself are ab/adductors
These mother fuckers don't know about lumbricals

Might as well brag about squatting the bar for 50 reps while I did a triple at 405.

the anconeus is my favorite new muscle. mine grew from chins and deadlifts

Took ur advice

Thsnks u Op

>can't grip
In rock climber terms, it's called "pumped". I forget the actual term but it's some sort of acid in your arms making them swell up and basically refuse to cooperate. It's pretty normal if you haven't trained your grip strength.

>why didn't you tell me about farmers walks?

I've been shilling walks for a while now.

I started with 35 and 50 pound kettlebells (different weights each hand), then 50 and 80 pound kettlebells, then bought a trap bar and now work with 305 pounds. The light weights for distance gives an insane forearm pump and does a lot for endurance while heavier weights not only strengthen forearms and toughen your hands but also fuck your whole body up. Once your grip is strong enough to carry something heavy for distance, it's a great full-body exercise, hitting the back, legs, and abs as well. It's like doing a deadlift but carrying the weight for 20-30 yards instead of setting it back down after locking out. One of my favorite exercises.

>One of my favorite exercises.

truly, one of the best.

i just wish it wasn't so complicated.

>gardener's walk

1. holding it in the exact centre means less likely to tip
2. greater moment arm from vertical displacement counteracts accidental tipping
t. engineering student making a guess

holy sheet sauce

It also keeps it from trying to roll out of your hand. Same reason why kettlebells are much easier to hold onto than a dumbbell.

Worked on this project as an assistant in a biomech lab, but the guy was a lifter looking at the difference in impact from doing UNSTABLE instead of stable weights.

Basically, instead of mounting plates on a bar, you use an exercise band to hang a kettlebell from a bar and then walk with the bar located on the back of your neck (like a squat). Because the kettlebells swing, your center of mass will move around a lot while you're walking, meaning that you have to use your core to keep yourself from falling over.

You absolutely should have a spotter, since you could fuck yourself up with heavier weights, but it's a great way of working your core.

So when doing farmers walk with say, two dumbbells, do you hold each dumbbell a little up? Like instead of hanging your arms 0 drug down to hold them in like a 15 degree?

It doesn't matter all that much. Lifting at an angle increases the load due to torsion, but the same effect can be achieved by just increasing the weight.

>distance

you do know that its the length of time right, not distance? you could hold them standing still for an hour and get the same result

Is that nigga natty

since it's harder to do progressively heavier weights with dumbells, maybe you can gradually increase the load on your upper arms as you get better at it by lifting them like that/

What would a the track length be at say a YMCA around a big basketball court? I go to a club that has a track around what feels like a pretty big area, I farmer walk 50 lb dumbbells in each hand and could probably make it around 1.5 times before i gotta drop em.

A runner's track is typically a quarter mile per lap but I've never been to a YMCA so I have no idea.

>standing still

You get none of the benefit from stabilizing the weight that you do as you walk and constantly shift your balance as you walk. Not only are you holding them steady against them tipping, you're holding them to your side instead of letting them swing.

Monkey bars are also crazy for grip strength.

This guy gets it. Oil rigs reporting in; throw so me chain and rope for 12 straight fucking hours.

shit dude I used to swing on those like it was nothing when I was a kid. Now I'm 180lbs and I can bust out 20 pull ups but I can barely get across the bars.

i don't lift but i want to feel included: the post

>gardeners walks

Fucking
Gold

Yeah what is the fucking deal with that.

I haven't been able to make it across a set of monkey bars for like 10 years now.

>Yeah what is the fucking deal with that.
The deal is that you're a fucking weak ass bitch

t. Am 242lbs with a kid, so train on monkey bar every time I take my son to the playground.

I go to work for 8 every day and carry stuff on my arms from place to place.. dont need to do any extra..

Farmer's walks are GOAT.

>why didn't you tell me about farmers walks?
But we did.
>forearm strength. farmers walks are maybe the only cure
>only
SNATCH GRIP DEADLIFTS, NO STRAPS
Don't say I didn't tell you next time

>[...] You are hereby commanded to incorporate farmers walks into your regular exercise routine
Hill sprints and prowler pushes are the tits too if you want to build up some stamina and do conditioning work. From your post I gather that you probably didn't do much of that, or much upper back work either. It's good that you are addressing your issues though.