Do you pinch your shoulder blades before or after you unrack the bar?

do you pinch your shoulder blades before or after you unrack the bar?

>pinch my shoulder blades as far back as i can
>unrack 40kg, still warming up
>awkward position because the bar is directly above your eyes, my shoulders are pinched back and im applying force slightly upwards above perpendicular to reach the bar
>i have benched 50kg
>hear an audible pop in my shoulder blade
>2 hours later shoulder blade is still hurt
>i rate the pain 4/10, not painful enough to interfere with things, but enough to not be able to forget about it

what have i done fit?

please help me friends it hurts

FUCKING HELP

>rippter and art of cuckliness in the same video

pottery

you are supposed to lower your shoulders as well ya dingus
take a break from benching for a bit

First of all, you're probably too high on the bench. Let your butt off the bench when unracking, but put it down after. That way, you'll stay on your traps and keep your shoulders at an angle where you don't have to lose tightness in your back/shoulders.

Take a slight break right now anyhow.

You forgot to squeeze your lats. You want to set up as if you are trying to bend the bar.

You'll be fine. When we were beginners, we all had the "Oh fuck I just permanently disabled myself" moment. Chances are if you're young, you'll heal with a few days. If you're older, a week or two would typical. Don't do anything heavy until then

Pinch before.

>benching before you can press 3/4 of your bw

>benching before you can do 100 pushups

this is wrong

What do you mean lower my shoulders?Thanks. Rippetoe said to have the bar directly above my eyes though. Its not my usual position, but i figured as i get heavier i better start getting my form right. Then that is exactly what injures me. Fuck

You're flaring your arms out, tuck them in when you lower it down, 45 degrees between your side and straight out. Tuck your lats back and down to create a stable platform and hold the weight directly up from there. Take weight off and work the motion properly first.

A later user phrased it better
You lower you shoulders while keeping your shoulder blades pinched, and you basically have to flex your lats to do this.
Also goes into it aswell, your shoulders are too high on the bench, you gotta find the right place to put your shoulders, you are supposed to keep a tight upper back while benching, but not just bunch your entire upper back into the bench

I shrug my shoulders as I descend the bar.
This also helps bar placement as helps track the bar on the lower chest

okay but what was the POP sound in my shoulder?

is it possible that its just something minor like a muscle sprain or whatever? why would it pop then? im just afraid i snapped something. after all, i cant think of any other reason of a noise like that

more info: 0 pain if my arm is in a certain position, extreme pain if i manipulate it in a certain way. what could this mean

See

>taking medical advice from a cambodian mosaic crafting board

I don't pinch at all

Go to Supertraining's youtube channel. They have a bunch of good videos on benching

i setup like this
>lay under bar
>find grip
>put feet up on bench and stick my ass up in the air and so the only thing touching the bench are my feet and my traps
>pull me shoulder blades back and down towards my feet
>lower my butt back down on the bench
>find my feet placement

remember to pull your shoulder blades both back and down towards the bottom of the bench
remember not to let your shoulder blades untuck at the top of the rep. i find getting them back underneath yourself with the weight over you mid set is extremely difficult

it takes a bit of practice