Why should I begin with Starting Strength if I don't care about functional strength...

Why should I begin with Starting Strength if I don't care about functional strength? Is there a beginner programme for hypertrophy and aesthetics?

>Is there a beginner programme for hypertrophy and aesthetics?
crossfit

>crossfit
No thanks, I'm not that new. Crossfit looks incredibly dangerous.

Bump. I also would like to know.

Just run 5/3/1 and go mental on the bro assistance.

Bro spits are exactly for that reason OP.

SS is useless, unless you go GOMAD.
SS+GOMAD ultimate combo for aesthetics.

user's GSLP for powerbuilding:
A:
Bench / OHP 2x, 1x5+
Squat 3x5
Rows / chins (or lat pull downs) 2x8, 1x8+
DB bench / OHP 3x AMRAP (no less then 8 per set)
Curls & tris as you like, 3x12

B:
OHP / Bench 2x5,1×5+
Deadlift 1x5+
Chins or latpull downs/ row 3x8
DB OHP / DB bench 3x AMRAP
Lat raises 3x12
Hamstring curl 3x12

AxBxA 3x a week or
AxBxAxAxBxAxBxAxA if you go every other day (just squat 2x as you deadlift)

Your objective is to hit new PRs in the 3-5 rep range for the big lifts (OHP, bench, squat, deadlift) and higher weights and rep targets for the higher rep stuff for volume (muscle)

When you bench, row. When you OHP, do chins.

Your minimum set/rep for the big lifts is 3x3. If you can't do that, drop 10% and work back up.

For rows/ chins / latpull downs try and hit 3x8 but feel free to swap to 4x6 for plateus etc.

Same applies to the high rep DB stuff. Try and get 12 reps and increase your weight over time. If you fail to get 3x8 drop weight and try and hit new rep maxes.

I have been making good gains on this at intermediate level for a few months now.

If you have any questions I'll do my best.

I should that this assumes that you can bench press atleast 60kg, OHP 40kg and do atleast 10 chin ups.

If you can't do that just do the big exercises finishing off with LOTS of chins (inc negatives) and press ups. Curls etc can come later.

This seems like pretty low reps for hypertrophy. Am I wrong?

Thanks for your long post and routine though.

Yes and no.

Basically you can split the session into three parts:

The first two exercises develop power in the upper body pushes and the lower body. This is your foundation. A good example is imo ppl have shit chest development till they can bench press thier body weight.

The 3rd exercise develops upper pulling at moderate reps (around 24)

The last few are for volume - around 36 reps. Using dumbells allows for a better ROM on the bench press and works the pecs a bit harder, and I find works the chest a bit more. The arm exercises are obviously really. Pick 2 for bicep, 2 for tris. So on one A day I do db curl and a dip machine. The next A day I'll do db hammercurl and a overhead tricep extension.

This routine is just a template, and you can adjust as your needs. I'd reccomend you keep the big lifts at 3x5 till you can 1/2/3/4.

It'll make you more aesthetic in the long run. Build strength first, then you can do your bodybuilding routine with heavier weight. Plus you'll get to do two different types of weight lifting which can be fun and you can decide which you like better on your own.

This is great. Thanks for all your advice.

>Build strength first, then you can do your bodybuilding routine with heavier weight
Ok, that actually makes sense.

Of course it does. Good luck building mass while repping with 5 lb dumbbells. Strength is the foundation for aesthetic work, especially if you are natty.

yes theres such a program:

starting strength

A standard bro split works fine for beginners.

Just do fucking SS

No matter what program youre on you will make gains, so better do one that actually makes you strong

What if I need a special snowflake program, so I too can feel special even though I'm a fat lazy shit?

everyone does barbell movements, no matter the routine. Just do ss to get started. Add bodyweight stuff too.

nah m8. Beginner lifters are going to be gaining muscle no matter what program you're following. That graph only starts applying for late novice to intermediate lifters.

what the fuck is the difference between power and strength supposed to be?

I'm not an expert at all but maybe it's functional strength for sports and general physical activity VS power lifting (For contests PRs etc).

Power is the amount of energy over a period of time. Strength is the total amount of energy.

It's the difference between Olympic lifting (power) and powerlifting (strength).

Power is being able to move 200 kilos from the ground to your shoulders in less than a second. Strength is being able to move 500 kilos from the ground to your hips during any period of time. It could take a year to get up there, but it doesn't matter as long as the weight went up

First of all you need to learn how to do the exercises properly and gain a strength base

Start with some program where you learn Basic Barbell Training. I hear Mark Rippetoe has a program called Starting Strength which does just that. 3 months at 3 times a week should give you a short introduction of what you can expect.

Personally, if you are looking for aesthetics, I would recommend adding assistance exercises such as pull ups and arm isolation as well as making sure you are on the proper diet.

Good Luck

The REASON you'll want to start with strength training is the greatly varying level of strength across the entirety of the muscles in your body. Some muscles oyu have might be well trained, others might be average and some might be under-developed.

If you set your training intensity according to your strongest muscles, your weakest muscles will end up snapping under the pressure. This might be OK.

It might permanently cripple you.

So start with the basics. Train your entire body to be at the same level.

Have you done any sports? If so - do SS to see how much you can lift and take it from there. If you haven't, spend 3 months getting in shape.

5/3/1 with 5s progression and FSL instead of 5/3/1 sets.

DO THIS FOR GAINS AND DONT LISTEN TO ANY OTHER FAG

MON-CHEST/TRI

TUES-BACK/BI

THURS-LEGS/ABS

FRI-SHOULDERS/ARMS

what if i can go to the gym twice per day (NEET) and do 2 of those per day, for a total of 4 days, 8 sessions total, basically hitting every muscle twice per week instead of once?

Its in the sticky...go back to it and look at the routine section. They even lay it out for you giving you something like 4 choices to choose from. I'm doing the coolcicada PPL and i'm seeing good results. Everyone here is going to jerk you off while telling you to do SS or some strength routine.

Starting strength gives you an idea if where you're starting. It helps you learn the lifts and prepare yourself for other routines.
There is no reason to not run SS for ~2-3 months then switching to your preferred routine.

this is what he's asking basically, what ppl do after their 3 months of SS, no one knows any good answers ever

can someone please answer this

I have
>read the sticky

and now I want to join a gym. h-h-how do I start it?
Should I just pack necessary stuff and go? Or first go and make a contract or something like that?

also, I've seen people recommend flat shoes, converse are not ok?

>Should I just pack necessary stuff and go?
Pack? Maybe in a few years. Don't bring anything until you reach 1/2/3/4. Even after, I'd seriously suggest not to use any sort of wraps or gloves.

The only thing I'd recommend to buy is squatting shoes

>Or first go and make a contract or something like that
If you're actually serious about lifting consistently. I'd suggest getting the longest membership they have. It's typically cheaper than the rest.

>also, I've seen people recommend flat shoes, converse are not ok?
Flat shoes for deadlifts, heeled shoes for squats. Everything else is a matter of opinion.

What I do is I just deadlift without any shoes. I don't want to bring two shoes to the gym and constantly shift them out.

After SS? Loads. It involves slower progression and more volume: push/pull, upper/lower, body parts etc.

And going twice a day is something you could do for a bit but eventually your recovery will suffer.

I lost a lot of weight in last two years, i want to do gym since I've noticed it calms my mind when I exercise + i look really bad now, flabby stomach is worse than being fatty fatass

what I meant, should I appear dressed for gym, sign some form and just start it or do I first get there and ask and then I come back?

I know it sounds retarded, but idea of going to gym as absolute beginner and not knowing what the hell I'm supposed to do scares me

Why would you hold off until tomorrow to lift?

ok, so let's say I want to do SS. How do I know if I'm doing it right, if I have right posture and technique?
Do I warm up first, how do I strech? How do I know with what weight to start, how do I know when to change something or so?

I mean, how do I go to gym first time and start with SS?

How do hell people start this on their own?

Watch videos.
When you go to do a lift start with the bar. Film yourself to check form.
Deadlift start with light bumper plates so it's elevated off the ground.

Look up dynamic stretching.

>go for 8 reps
>fuck up, only do 7
>don't get strength or hypertrophy

Here's a dirty secret: you can become Veeky Forums on almost any reasonably non-retarded routine as long as you keep at it and push yourself. I know this guy who does the shittiest 6-day brosplit imaginable, all on machines. He's built like an oxen because he's been following it religiously for the past 5 years. You would literally make more progress doing an extra push up instead of each post you make arguing like a retard on the Internet about which routine is marginally more efficient than all the others.