What did they mean by this?

What did they mean by this?

nytimes.com/2016/12/06/well/eat/can-you-get-too-much-protein.html

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23459753
examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/?PageSpeed=noscript
t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-eat-more-protein-to-lose-fat
bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders
apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/43411/1/WHO_TRS_935_eng.pdf?ua=1
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3573976
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/96/6/1454.long
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3371329/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That protein supplements are scams and you don't really need much protein.
No shit

Bullshit mixed in with some sound advice.

>Experts note, however, that there is only so much protein the body can use. “The body only digests and absorbs a certain amount of protein at every meal,” about 20 to 40 grams, said Jim White, a registered dietitian and exercise physiologist who spoke on behalf of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
This is absolute horseshit. The body has a capped daily amount it can metabolize per day. But it has a buffers in the form of the stomach, small intestine, liver and blood amino levels that make it possible to digest most of your protein even if you eat it all at once.

>“You can eat 300 grams of protein a day, but that doesn’t mean you’ll put on more muscle than someone who takes in 120 grams a day,” Mr. White said. Meanwhile, “you’re robbing yourself of other macronutrients that the body needs, like whole grains, fats, and fruits and vegetables.”
This is pretty much true. Natties are not going to see much benefit from eating more than 100-150g of protein per day. There is a minor anabolic "splurge reaction" going on when the body is flooded with more than that - but it is temporary and minor enough that it doesn't warrant the added inconvinience, cost and potential health hazard (and yes, eating a pound of protein per day will fuck your kidneys up no matter what retards on here claim.) Plus if you eat a lot of protein without adequate fat intake you open yourself up to fucking rabbit starvation.

TL;DR The average person eats too little protein, the average dyel curlbros often eat an unnecessarily large amount.

5 scoops a day and one day you may

Just don't eat all your protein at once.
20g a meal should be good enough.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23459753

>“The body only digests and absorbs a certain amount of protein at every meal,” about 20 to 40 grams
proofs where

IIRC these studies were done on fasted women

Bullshit, seealso,
>examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/?PageSpeed=noscript

If only you moron had the mental fortitude to read on a bit more you would have caught the part about it being idiotic.
>"This is absolute horseshit. The body has a capped daily amount it can metabolize. But it has buffers in the form of the stomach, small intestine, liver and blood amino levels that make it possible to digest most of your protein even if you eat it all at once."

Yeah, too much protein isn't good. Just don't over do it. Protein powder is fine as a supplement your diet if you're already lacking nutrients

>Jim White
>Some random dietician guy who owns a diet company with a fucking stake in misinforming
>Not using academic sources

yeah this is shoddy grade F science journalism from the NYT

Someone didn't fall for the protein meme. At least some people know their shit. :)

None of these studies apply to an active 18-34 year old male with a high lbm.

I'm assuming you didn't read. The study I linked talked about optimizing your protein intake.

/thread

>active 18-34 year old males with high lbm aren't human

Nah mate, but protein synthesis is hugely influenced by test levels.

True, but the underlying mechanisms are largely the same. It'd be hard to extrapolate this to most of Veeky Forums though

I'm reading none of this anyway, I eat protein for the placebo effect

spbp
mvp right ere

If you eat too much protein, you poop comes out almost clay like, you can wipe at it forever, and it'll still be on the paper.

If you eat too much fat, your poop floats.

My doctor told me this stuff, and I've used it since to help me come up with meal plans.

>listening to the american government about nutrition

ye boi every bodybuilder/athlete/manual laborer/etc is doin it wrong LOL!

Well, there is this weird thing going on in a lot of studies I read. In the immediate term frequency of protein intake has a big effect on muscle tissue post-workout. In the long run all approaches tends to normalize to very similar values.

Ie:
>Eating very large amounts at once causes quite a dramatic rise in anabolic hormones, but the effect vanishes after a while.
>Eating smaller amounts very often increases MPS but that also drops off after a while.
In the long term, as long as you get about 1,5-1,8g/kglbm - protein is not a bottleneck in muscle growth. Unless you're over-training or eating shit protein like collagen filled "meat."

> American government
The study was done in Australia, but that's irrelevant.

I'd rather listen to researchers who are published in a journal for physiology than people who are published on youtube and manual laborers.

Yeah, that's why scientists and phd "science" faggots like layne norton/lyle mcdonald have never accomplished anything worth a damn nor any of their athletes.

Meanwhile "broscientists" like george farah, hany rambod, chris aceto, etc have trained countless mr olympias and top sports athletes.

Guess the rock is a fucking idiot, I mean, the guy's pretty much the epitome of an "action star" yet he trains with george farah and not some fat virgin who wasted 30 years of his life getting a piece of paper that only proved he went into student debt.

>Guess the rock is a fucking idiot,
He is on roids, not the same league, not even the same ball-game.

But MUH SCIENCE

MUH DATA MUHFUGGAH

I average around 300 grams a day on 3k calories...
6'2 180 lbs 13% bf

Reread the sticky.

>FFMI of just over 20
Well you're proof that shit-tons of protein are a waste, then.

Post boipucci.

I STUFIED FUCKIN 30 YEARS AND WENT INTO DEBT U GOTTA BELIEVE MY STUDIES BASED ON RATS AND ANOREXIC WOMEN!!

ITS THE FACTS! DONT BELIVE THESE GURUS GUYS!!

So I guess that means scientists/doctors are completely fucking worthless to anyone worth a damn because every decent+ bodybuilder or athlete is on juice.

Thanks, stick with your "research reports" from dr pajeet patel on his rats and maybe you might break 19 FFMI with your 20% bodyfat as a natural

No, you fucking retard. I mean that the figures and principles are different for natties and roiders, they can both be qualified and researched - but they're different.

>19 FFMI with your 20% bodyfat as a natural
Don't extrapolate your shit genetics on other people.

so why does no one use actual doctors/scientists as trainers then since they know so fucking much?

face it fatboy, studies on rats and anorexics don't apply to athletes and bodybuilders.

gurus/coaches will always know better than some cuck who went 300k in debt for a piece of paper.

GUISE GUISE GUISE, go over to /plg/.
Holy shit, are they always that autistic?

So I'm pretty sure you're just trolling, but in case you're actually this retarded, they aren't just testing on rats and anorexics. It's okay if you have to promote protein for sales or something.

stick to your government studies then, lets see how many olympias or NBA games you win.

holy shit I didn't even know protein chips existed

>rats and anorexics
>studies done on competitive college strength athletes confirm that 1g/lbs is overkill.
but yeah, college strength athletes are wimps compared to you.

>gurus/coaches will always know better than some cuck who went 300k in debt for a piece of paper.

People like Israetel, Cavaliere, Polumbo and others are at the top of their game when it comes to advice, sure. Know why? BECAUSE THEY READ ALL THOSE FUCKING STUDIES AND ADAPT THEM into practical concepts. Kali Muscle, CT? Straight up hacks who are big in spite of their training and diet due to roids. Louie? His advice is goat if you want to be an equipped powerlifter on gear, that's it - that's his focus.

But you seem to think that unless the guy doing the research is in the gym applying it, that it has no relevance and finds no use among respectable coaches. top kek.

dude my gym was shilling "Meat Chips" for a while, they are fucking amazing.

HMmmmmmmmm
t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-eat-more-protein-to-lose-fat

>56 grams
>average male recommendation

SHOO SHOO GAINS DOCTOR

>t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-eat-more-protein-to-lose-fat
>NEAT (non-exercise related energy expenditure).
NEAT NEETs

I've stopped going by studies and non-implemented information when it comes to improving myself. Since going from +400 lard ass to -250 fat ass just by cutting the bottom of the pyramid off, I've decided to just test things and see what works.

pretty sure average includes the elderly, manlets, other retards and nu-males.

Yes goyim, you dont need all that icky protein. Muscles are for losers. Testosterone is evil.

nice try using reverse psychology to pawn your estrogen laced protein powders.

not him but do you have a source on how 1g/lb is overkill? I'm interested in digging into the science

>bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders
Not an opinion piece - plenty of studies cited in the article.

Basically this , in the very short term there might be some odd findings. But over an extended period trough multiple large scale studies: there was no increased benefit to body composition in strength athletes past 1.8g/kg of lean mass.

For your average 6', 200lbs Veeky Forumsizen that comes out to less than 150g per day, even if he was around 25 FFMI.

I'm around the same bodyfat, weigh 20 pounds more than you, and you have four inches of height on me. Re-evaluate your diet or training or both.

apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/43411/1/WHO_TRS_935_eng.pdf?ua=1
"Testosterone concentrations in seven normal men were consistently higher after ten days on a high carbohydrate diet (468 +/- 34 ng/dl, mean +/- S.E.) than during a high protein diet (371 +/- 23 ng/dl, p less than 0.05) and were accompanied by parallel changes in sex hormone binding globulin (32.5 +/- 2.8 nmol/l vs. 23.4 +/- 1.6 nmol/l respectively, p less than 0.01). By contrast, cortisol concentrations were consistently lower during the high carbohydrate diet than during the high protein diet (7.74 +/- 0.71 micrograms/dl vs. 10.6 +/- 0.4 micrograms/dl respectively, p less than 0.05), and there were parallel changes in corticosteroid binding globulin concentrations (635 +/- 60 nmol/l vs. 754 +/- 31 nmol/l respectively, p less than 0.05). The diets were equal in total calories and fat. "

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3573976

>Natties are not going to see much benefit from eating more than 100-150g of protein per day

I call bullshit. Unless you are a 90 lb female or don't lift weights that is not enough protein. Especially if you are cutting.

C'MON GUYS YOU WANT TO GET BIG YOU GOT TO EAT BIG

10 SCOOPS C'MON

>My intuition is more accurate than dozens of peer reviewed studies.
>I'm the protein mafias bitch.
Enjoy your kidney stones.

That's nice, I've been getting 250g+ daily for more than 5 years with 0 problems. I'd rather play it safe and piss out some extra protein than not get enough for no particular reason.

>mentions sources
>doesn't give sources

>assumes people have the mental capactiy to scroll up a couple of posts.
>no such luck.

Unless you're seven feet tall or on roids you're doing more than playing it safe, for no particular reason. But whatever mate, keep feeding the protein jew.

Oooorr you can just make sure to get enough fiber. Poop problems solved.

>implying steroids are all it takes to get to that level

never implied that, but work capacity (and hence training and nutrition) are very different on roids and off - so there isn't 1:1 carryover when it comes to these matters.

>trusting nutritionists
>trusting people who never lifted in their life

I'll stick to the advice of people who've actually accomplished something. I see no need to increase my carb of fat intake.

You're right. It also takes human growth hormone and some insulin.
And a few other magical substances.

He does have fantastic genes that allow his body to explode on that stuff and good work ethic....but it's mostly the drugs.

No, diet also matters a little bit. Drugs make up like 95% of the results, diet 5%. Training doesn't matter if you're on Piana-tier doses.

This, Kalimuscle literally doesn't know how to do curls and makes Rippletits look like gods personal nutritionist and yet is more muscular than the rock.

>protein is bad for kidneys
Somebody didn't read the sticky.

>Urea just magically leaves your body.
>Kidneys have unlimited work capacity.
Eating 50% more than you need isn't that bad, but when you eat twice that - then yeah, not good.

Too much protein is only a problem for the liver if it's too much, too fast. Other than that, there's a pretty high upper limit.

I'm only taking protein supplements because I'm poor, busy with school and need a lot of it. Makes it easier knowing I can half the protein I need with one shake. It's easy to call it lazy when you're given money and have all the time in the day.

that's what poopoopeepee twice a day does when I eat bulk

>a pretty high upper limit.
which goes down if you eat too much for years or decades. i know curlbros who see that "1g/lbs" bullshit and decide to add a safety margin and - boom, you're fucked as soon as you develop any kind of problem with your kidneys that would normally pass without incident.

>i know curlbros who see that "1g/lbs" bullshit and decide to add a safety margin and - boom, you're fucked as soon as you develop any kind of problem with your kidneys that would normally pass without incident.
I take it you know many curlbros that have liver or kidney problems that is caused by protein overconsumption and not any of those other reasons causing non-lifters to develop the same problems?

>which goes down if you eat too much for years or decades.
Citation needed. Also, if that upper limit goes down, it's due to age, not continued consumption.

Kidney function dropping due to various health-issues happens, suddenly that "tolerable" amount turns into an ammount that causes a pretty big risk for your kidneys. It's not as bad other shit you can do to fuck yourself up, but why take the added risk for no benefit?

say that to bostin lloyd.

He's a genetic freak, in the negative sense.

The floating bit is wrong. That's caused by excess gas.

Protein doesn't damage your kidneys you stupid vegan memer.

Dietary recommendations are based in people who consider a 10 minute walk "exercise."

>vegan
I don't consider a dish without meat as a meal.
>I never said protein damages your kidneys (well, not anymore than air damages your lungs.)
I said that excess protein increases the chances of excaberating kidney problems. It's an added risk for no reason, not to mention the added cost and inconvenience of stuffing a pound of pure protein in you when less than half that would suffice.

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3573976
This is a shit study, very small sample size, single group, no control group, small timeframe.
Into the trash

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/96/6/1454.long
>During the meta-analytic procedure, we first assessed changes in FFM in younger adults. Protein supplementation resulted in ~1-kg greater gains in FFM after 12 ± 1 wk of resistance-type exercise training when compared with training without additional protein supplementation. The latter findings were evident despite the fact that, before the intervention, all groups were already consuming a more than adequate dietary protein intake of ~1.2 g · kg-1 · d-1 (66, 67). Subjects were supplemented with an average of 50 ± 32 g protein/d (on top of their normal diet), and, in most cases, the protein supplements were ingested before or immediately after each exercise session. When the younger subject groups were stratified for training status, resistance-trained groups were shown to be even more responsive to protein supplementation with respect to changes in their FFM as compared with their untrained counterparts. Resistance-trained subjects supplementing with protein showed a >4 fold gain in FFM when compared with the placebo group. These results suggest that, in resistance-trained subjects, protein supplementation is required to maximize the anabolic response to prolonged resistance-type exercise training.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3371329/
>The purpose of this study was to investigate associations between acute exercise-induced hormone responses and adaptations to high intensity resistance training in a large cohort (n = 56) of young men.
>There were no significant correlations between the exercise-induced elevations (area under the curve—AUC) of GH, fT and IGF-1 and gains in LBM or leg press strength. Significant correlations were found for cortisol, usually assumed to be a hormone indicative of catabolic drive, AUC with change in LBM (r = 0.29, P < 0.05) and type II fibre CSA (r = 0.35, P < 0.01)

fpbp
the amount of scoops that some dyel's consume are enough even for the hugest mountains of muscle

What they found isn't too unsurprising though. They were getting 44% calories from protein (35% from carbohydrate) and eating at a deficit. That's apt to activate the counterregulatory response.

why do people always respond to this bait?

I'm starting to lose all faith in Veeky Forums.

Listen here kids, drink your whey shakes and eat as much protein per meal as you want.

>"Meat Chips"
Sounds like some sort of dried pepperoni

>be poor
>buy powdered jew
Chicken breast is cheaper

Yes. It's called rabbit starvation or something like that

But most people really have to try to keep up a diet like that. Supposedly if you eat too much protein, you start craving carbs or something

But most people estimate their protein requirements way to high. The basic guideline for athletes is 1 to 1.6 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight. And 2 grams when on a cut.

For beginners with a high body fat, I'd just recommend estimating your healthy weight and go from there

No it's not.
I get less protein from a pack a chicken breast and assuming I'd need to eat an equal amount to my shake, that's 3 breasts. That's a 3 pack of chicken breast EVERY DAY, which come up to around 90€ for me, per month. My protein shake cost 20€ and lasts well over 2 months.

>be a shitposter
>not realising the livestock industry is one of the biggest jews on the fucking planet

> Plus if you eat a lot of protein without adequate fat intake you open yourself up to fucking rabbit starvation.

what do you mean?

My current breakfast is 51g of protein. Am I wasting gains or not?

>some cuck who went 300k in debt for a piece of paper
>doesn't realize that you get paid to do a PhD

I use Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 protein powder. The serving size is 3 scoops. 3 scoops is worth 60 grams of protein. Will my kidneys be daijoubu?

im 220 lbs 6'4 15% and only 175grams of protons seems like 2 much 4 u