Let's have an art thread Veeky Forums, post your favorite pieces of art

Let's have an art thread Veeky Forums, post your favorite pieces of art.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-Mr7TOsrTMY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Last one.

i really really like this one.

This reminds me of Mino de Fiesole, who attempted to do the wet drapery seen there in the middle renaissance. Obviously flawed, but this piece really resonates with me.

The Francois Vase is great, probably the greatest Black figure vase that comes down to us. It's almost Bruegelian, in that you can get lost in all the various veristic details

This is a rare piece, it's a Bozzetto made by Michelangelo for a Sculpture, a River God for the Medici Tomb, I believe. Rare, because few of these exist from Michelangelo, as he tried to downplay his reliance on preparatory material in service of the image of divine sculptor he wished to cultivate

Don't know why you wouldn't get some decent res stuff and put this on /hr/ if you are just going to bulk dump without any attempt at discussion.

always loved this one

I've always been interested in the common lives of ancient/ medieval people, especially what they would have gotten out of art. That's where these little Roman Bronzes come in. I guess I like trinkets. Here's a little, chibi Gladiator.
My favourite Lautrec is his picture of Vincent. Mine's too high res, but the color's amazing.

Medieval art best art

On Naxos, there's an archaic quarry where they would hew out colossal Kouroi, and sometimes they'd break and the people would just leave them there, carved only very roughly. Apparently, the fine details would be carved on site.

This is similar to the Easter Island Heads, and like those, you can see these abandoned Colossi today.

Here's a Gorgon

youtube.com/watch?v=-Mr7TOsrTMY

I can't show you a detail, but you can see some adorable Gorgons in the bottom frieze. They appear to be wearing pots on their heads as masks.

neat

>art
>except in pointlessly tiny resolutions

I appreciate what you're doing but there's literally already a board for this. Check out /hr/, they have constant art dump threads. Look, one's up right now.

One version, quite popular I guess, of the Death of Priam involves Pyrrhus beating him to death with his grandson. Virgil chose to go with a different one, where Priam is killed at the foot of Jupiter, by stabbing.
Don't know why.

Here, Cimabue illustrates the Virgilian account

When I was a child, I assumed falling on one's sword was a metaphor for stabbing oneself, but here Telamonian Ajax buries his sword in preparation for his suicide

And here we have the aftermath. These are both attic designs, but I still find it interesting how they portray the scene so similarly, despite the probable time between the two vases, judging by their use of black and red figures respectively.

Are they based off some kind of common iconography or template?

For one fleeting moment in history, Brittany was relevant.

This is my favorite drawing

I'm a fan of Piero della Francesca, don't get me wrong, but I think his work lacks a certain emotiveness. His figures just sort of stare off into space.
I think he may have suffered from Uccello syndrome.

American Illustrator Joseph Christian Leyendecker

WE

While the sculptural rigidity isn't uncommon to earlier renaissance artists, his figures kind of have that stare which reminds me of Richard Dadd's later work, after he went crazy.

In what little of Daniele da Volterra's work I've seen, I see a very interesting artist, who takes Michelangelo's latter manner and puts some interesting twists on it.
It's a shame he falls into the category of artists who were unfortunate enough to be associated with Michelangelo. In da Volterra's case, he is most remembered for being the man hired to censor Michelangelo's last judgment. Forever the Breeches Maker.

Leyendecker always reminds me of Gerard van Honthorst in the way he lays down paint.

If you've ever wanted to see a greatly detailed painting of pseudo Persian/Phrygian/whatever Mithras wears, look up the Capuan Mithraeum. It contains this scene, the central scene of Mithraism, but much more richly detailed.
Has anyone ever considered that Christianity overtook Mithraism because it's easier to draw a cross than this? Just a thought

Here's a cute little sculpture that came from an apothecary shop. Apparently, it worked as a sign for illiterate people.

Here's another one; same purpose, I believe. That little golden ball represents a pill, and you put it in his mouth. I don't know why; maybe it gave kids something to do?

Here's a little Roman Hercules after the Farnese fashion

From what I've seen, these Farnese Hercules types are more common, Hercules being depicted in mid age, with a beard and impeccably muscled. However, there are also Hercules youths

And here's a pig

Roman Perseus

Again

Here's a unique specimen. Lo Spinario is a Greco roman bronze that was never lost, meaning it was continuously displayed in one form or another since antiquity.

You can see his red lip, and his copper toenails. Interesting how the Greeks/Romans used different colors, be they from different metals or patinas, in their bronzes. Now, an Etruscan example.

That's not really a different metal, though, it's just an inlaid eye. Well, here's the Quirinal Boxer, a personal favorite of mine, notice his copper blood used to highlight his wounds.

L'antico was famed for his use of patina to create very interesting little bronzes. His nickname reflects is interest in reviving antique models. I don't know if that referred to his use of Patina/other colored metals or his subject matter or matter of expression.

I know this one's a bit cliched as a favorite but I see something new every time I look at it. Wiki has an image that's like 22k by 30k

Never be ashamed of loving art, user. I personally need to bone up on my Spanish Painting.
My favorite Vasquez is his Crucifixion, especially the trickle of blood that runs down Christ's leg. He was a master of movement as well. In this piece, I like how well he renders the water running down the jug

>#METOO

>Susanna and the Casting Couch

Nah, that had more to do with state sanctioned mass violence against non-christians. Besides, the cross wasn't a common symbol early on, the chi-ro was.

The Romans couldn't kill the Jews; maybe the other Religions were just pussies

Let us now explore the wonders of the orient

Circe Invidiosa - Waterhouse

Funny they knew how to build elaborate buildings at that time but not how to draw them

>middle finger

No one could, ever. This one guy derived Linear Perspective

What makes you think that they wanted to kill the jews? They utterly destroyed an organized jewish state as a threat to their empire and dispersed and/or enslaved it's entire population. Rome wasn't big on slaughter solely for the sake of slaughter and the jews were thoroughly beaten down.

I really love cold, dark cityscapes.
Pure romantic comfiness.

Cities by night looked so beautiful before electric lighting. OTOH, you WILL be raped and killed if you go down any of those picturesque pitch black alleys.

Want to reach through the painting and throttle that damned rake!

I mean, you're going to get raped and killed walking down any major city today, no matter how bright it is. It's where the filth congregates