What does Veeky Forums think of the Bismarck?

Bit of a meme ship really, armour config was very outdated

Huh, tell that to the HMS Hood.

meme shop the yamato was better but outnumber+unprepared tripulation

>armor config was very outdated
>tell that to the HMS Hood
>which was defeated by the Bismarck's guns, not its armor
>shortly before being shot to shit and sinking because it was too outdated and slow

>It sank a battlecruiser built over a decade earlier
>Whoa, what a great investment!

Using a battleship to commerce raid is like using a sledgehammer to swat flies.

My grandpa is convinced that the captain was a distant cousin of his grandpa, so that’s interesting

t. Nigel Worthington

>facts are anglocentric

I have no idea why the Germans built it given that no realistic amount of surface ship building would have let them challenge the British. The only possible reason I can think of that would make sense would be that the Germans were already envisioning needing to dominate Scandinavia and its strategic resources in case of a war - in which case a surface fleet would indeed be helpful to protect the initial invasion - but I doubt the Germans had this in mind.

> t.amerimutt

>I have no idea why the Germans built it given that no realistic amount of surface ship building would have let them challenge the British.

Hitler's original plan revolved around the idea that Britain would stay neutral, and the war would be just Germany vs. France. The purpose of the Kriegsmarine battleships was to keep the French navy in check. The Anglo-German Naval Agreement of 1935 lifted most of the Versailles Treaty restrictions on German shipbuilding. Under the terms of the new agreement, Germany would be allowed to build a new modern navy, with the caveat that Germany would promise not to exceed 1/3 tonnage of the Royal Navy.

kek

But Italy alone could have matched France's navy

>being this pastaboo

He's right though. The French Navy of 1940 was roughly equal to the Italian Navy of 1940.

The point was that Germany alone wanted to match the French Navy. Italy has nothing to do with it.

But Hitler’s plans also involved Italy.

You Brits are really getting quiet pathetic.

Bare in mind KMS Bismark fired 6 salvoes at the battle of Denmark strait, one destroyed the Hood and the other came within a whisker of destroying the PoW.

massive casualties were caused on the bridge of HMS Prince of Wales,(everyone present excluding the Captain was KIA or WIA-) caused by a 15" shell hit which failed to detonate!and even more extraordinarily-after the battle, in drydock-ANOTHER 15" shell from Bismarck was found in Prince of Wales bilges-also undetonated.

The RN would almost certainly have lost two capital ships to magazine explosions but for ammunition failure.