Training masks

Okay so these were a thing some while ago. The overall consensus on Veeky Forums about them back then was something like "makes training harder without any significant difference in gains".

However, I train for Battle of the Nations and some guys in my team started using these to get used to the restricted airflow that medieval helmets cause.

Is this a Veeky Forums-approved excuse to use one of these? Not that I really care about what other ppl at the gym think but I don't want to waste 80€ on something that will make me only look like a dork without ANY advantage.

Other urls found in this thread:

sportsciencecollective.com/altitude-masks-costume-convenience/
youtube.com/watch?v=vlyMrpTU7BM
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3100467
aliexpress.com/item/Hand-held-face-shield-Hand-shank-high-quality-plastic-anti-ultraviolet-light-welding-protective-masks/32775940691.html
youtube.com/watch?v=rrhc5-Fxo0g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why does he wear the mask?

If I took that off, would you die?

sportsciencecollective.com/altitude-masks-costume-convenience/

If it doesnt trigger an increase in blood cell count it wont help you.

You need that oxygen, its a zero sum game

if it does however, it will make OP a fucking animal

I am aware of all the broscience that surrounds these. My point was, will training with a mask make it more comfortable to fight in armor.

Pic related generic BotN helmet

I think it is fair reason to use them then. Not because it might add anything to your gains, but because it helps you prepare mentally.

Same reason why it is okay to wear a weighted vest if you are preparing for an Orienteering race

It would be extremely painful

F O R
O
R

Y O U
O
U

Last year I was running in the woods and all of a sudden this wanker with one of these masks just emerges from behind a tree. It scared me to DEATH!!!

You could achieve the same effect with a plastic snorkel bought at a beach shop.

I wouldn't wear it for lifting as it will schedule nothing but hold back your muscle development.

I wouldn't wear it for cardio as it would only hold back how far you can go, and when training for cardio events you typically train for a distance / objective longer than your event goal, so that the event itself is no longer taking you to the limit of endurance and you can have more intensity in the event as a result.

Just train in your helmet during sparring and get used to it, but you won't build better cardiovascular endurance by keeping yourself metaphorically chained down when training it.

The problem is that we're only capable of having sparring training once or twice a month. It's enough to get used to the weight of the helmet and the restrictions of the armor but the breathing part seems to be the limiting factor. Some sources seem to claim that the masks train the diaphragm and therefore strenghten your deep breathing but there just seems to be a lot of contradicting information. Your claims do make sense but some sources would be appreciated.

youtube.com/watch?v=vlyMrpTU7BM

They actually stopped calling them altitude masks and just call them "Training masks". I agree that the whole altitude-claim was bullcrap but the strenghtening your breathing muscles actually makes in the way that it forces you to breath deeper.

Also that cringy neckbeard in your video was not really not the most convincing person to give training advices.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3100467

Remember that study that said holding your breath/hyperventilating would increase HGH production?

Would a training mask help since its harder to breathe?

Came here to make sure someone was baneposting. God bless you Anons

>to get used to the restricted airflow that medieval helmets cause
that might be one of the few scenarios where an altitude mask actually works

OP the solution is clear if you truly don't care what the ppl at the gym think of you.
Train with your helmet on.

Just put on the whole damn suit. If they give you shit, they literally cannot hurt you. Also - bonus gains from the extra weight and anonymity from the helmet.

If they talk shit, you slay those knaves in the parking lot. I believe in you OP!

Sadly OP's a fag and any thread I post in is cursed to never have OP actually do the crazy stuff and deliver pics.

>training to LARP
LOL

why do you want to increase HGH production
this would basically be the ideal situation for a training mask
wear the suit breh
what the fuck do you train for nerd

This peace of shit is fucking 60$.

Just get a harbor freight dust respirator for like 15$ and never look back. Clog the filters until you achieve the desired lung fuckaboutery.
People are going to look at you like a retard anyway. But you LARP so you're used to it by now.

During exercise it's probably not a good idea.
Oxygen restriction in daily life is great for health though, it's called hormesis. It's why people who live in the mountains are healthier and live longer than people on sea level.

CRASHING THIS THREAD...

Train for restricted airflow ? What are you going to train exactly ? Your diaphragm ? your VO2 max ?

Basically what a doctor told me once was that it wont increase blood cell count but if you are doing alot of cardio and have trouble keeping your breathing steady it might help out. Pretty gimicky for most people though.

aliexpress for shit like this aliexpress.com/item/Hand-held-face-shield-Hand-shank-high-quality-plastic-anti-ultraviolet-light-welding-protective-masks/32775940691.html $19 is still theft

Educate yourself. Starts at 4:17
youtube.com/watch?v=rrhc5-Fxo0g

>mfw this only makes me think of latex bitchsuits
Man you cannot comprehend how ridiculous this looks.

I've thought about going to gym in armor but the biggest problem is the protective oil on the armor would leave stains all over an any protruding metal parts could damage benches etc. In worst case scenario I could get expelled from them gym for inappropriate behaviour. I could ask for permission from the owners but that would kind of defeat the point of wacky Veeky Forums hijinx. Also I don't have squire-gymbro to help me suit up.

Ayy people who try to feel superior over other people based on their hobbies. Sounds like you have really sad lives, you should try living your lives as legolas or something. Meanwhile I'll be practicing for my full contact martial art.

when you see this and think of your degenerate fetishes who is really the ridiculous one

you

Just train in the actual armor

Yeah spending extra 30 mins and needing someone to help you dress up for every workout sounds really convinient. Not to mention the stress it would cause on joints to run several times a week with 25kg extra weight on you.