Can anybody give me some tips on how to progress on pull ups and chin ups? Pull ups for example...

Can anybody give me some tips on how to progress on pull ups and chin ups? Pull ups for example, I can get 10 the first set, then 6, then 5. Is the best way to just do like 3x7 or something like that until it's easier? Or should I add some weight to a backpack?

Other urls found in this thread:

armstrongpullupprogram.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bumping for interest. I can do about 10, but then my strength is sapped the rest of the times I try to do as many again.

I'm also dealing with the same. I had luck progressing out of a plateau on parallel bar dips by adding weight, don't know why pull ups feel different, and why there is such a stark difference between sets.

Huh. Thought it was just me.

Creatine helps get like ~.5-1 more rep on those later sets.

Pull up pyramids are the way to go. Do 1. Rest. Do 2. Rest. And so on up to 6. Then rest. Do 6 again. Then 5, and so on back down to 1.

I guess its more of a pull up trapazoid than a pyramid

I find it best to limit the earlier sets to warm up properly. What worked for me was doing 6 - 7 - 8 reps and try increase 1 - 2 reps on the later sets once a week. As the finall sets increase bring up your first set and maybe try 5 x 5 with a weighted backpack every now and again or instead

Add weight

Should I start adding weight? I can get 16 good-form reps for the first set, then like 8-9 for the next one.

Warm up, do light stretching etc.

Do 10 pull ups, rest, do another 10/9/8/7 etc, repeat until you cant do another one. Go home eat, consume protein, rest, take a day off, then repeat all over again. Its that simple.

>rest, take a day off, then repeat all over again

Nigger what? What could your routine possibly look like that you're doing pull-ups two days apart? Is that all you do?

Not that guy, but if you wanna be good at pull ups you should train them 2-3 days a week. It's how I got to >20 at 195 lbs body weight, and 100 lbs for a 3rm.

armstrongpullupprogram.com/

this is what i've been doing, i have progressed from 9 to 14 max pullups so far

you fucking faggot where did I say do pull ups two days apart????

He probably took "rest, take a day off" as taking two days off.

Think of pullups like walking. You walk every day, yet your legs aren't yuge. Now, if you do the same thing with pullups, by doing around 100 every day, you'll get good at them, but won't gain a whole lot of mass.

I personally like to space out my pullup sets in between other exercises. i.e., I might do 2 sets of pullups to start, then go do something else, then do 2 more sets of pullups, etc. Basically just do more pullups more often.

man I almost forgot why I left Veeky Forums. thanks for reminding me

Progressive overload. If you can do 10 bodyweight you should start adding 5 lbs a week until you're unable to do more than a couple in a set.
JUST
EVERY
OTHER
LIFT

Lat pull down machine. Pretty legit ime

t. le retard man

yes

if you can do 10 the first set and only 6 on the second you aren't resting enough. try to rest 5+ minutes between them.

i'd suggest you start adding weight once you can do 3x5-8.

Adding volume worked for me. I'd do an easy set up pull-ups between most other lifts (warm ups and main sets), so I'd end up doing 15-20 sets of 3 pull-ups. I try to get about 50 total reps on lifting days and 25 on "rest" days. My max went from 8-16 in about 2 months

I have a similar problem. I could do 10 sets of 8 reps chin ups with 2 min rest but couldn't get to 10x9 after months so I started to do weighted chin ups (+8kg). Now I do 8, 8, 8, 7, 6 and then I switch with reps of 5 and 6 for 10 sets

I've added 5 pounds each time for both weighted dips and pull ups, but I'm stalling out now. I'm at about 50% of my bodyweight added.

I don't think that is a good idea. I would do 7, 7, 7 with max 2 min rest. 5 minutes is way too long for building muscle

nigga you don't build muscle as you work out. you do it when you are sleeping and resting.

2 min is not enough to recover ATP anyway. that's why standard rest times are 3-5 min for strength training and sometimes even up to 8 minutes

Refer to the classics
youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

Aww yeah, I knew this was some Scooby

When my absolute max is 8 reps I add 5kg.

>Roiding for .5-1 rep

What did he mean by this?
:thinking:

what's a good indicator when you should start doing them weighted anyway?

I'm bulking and every pound I get on me makes it heavier to do and I a month ago I could do 8 chinups, now I can only do 7.

So what gives?

Please help me progress

3x5 is pretty standard for strength. just add weight after that and then once you can do 3x5 again, increase it. buy some 1kg plates if you don't have access to them. i wouldn't recommend going above 1kg when progressing.

don't forget to do them in higher rep range as well with low weight. i rotate between 3x5 for strength progress and 3x12 for hypertrophy on workout days. works great for me

I actually don't even have a belt and gym doesn't have one either. But I'll figure something out

>t. broke ass student at shitty uni gym

hold db with legs

I struggled with this for a while a I worked out a method which has worked well for me. I started out being able to do around 4-5 clean reps.

Firstly, focuss on doing bent over rows with a reverse grip if not already doing so. Do this at least twice a week with a medium weight for 4 sets of 8 reps. This will help strengthen the same muscles used for pull ups. I would recommend doing this for a month or so till you are very comfortable with the exercise.

The next stage is to begun pull ups. Don't get close to your max reps in your first set otherwise you wont be able to carry out any more sets successfully and wont get stronger. I would recommend you start with 5 sets of 5 reps. Each set should feel not too tough untill the last 2 sets where you find yourself struggling. Continue doing this around 3 times a week untill you are doign 5x5 comfortable althogh the last set should still feel like you are pushing yourself.

Next, change your reps and sets to 4 sets of 6 reps. This should feel more difficult as you are getting closer to your previous max set range. continue this until you can do it comfortably.

Next stage is to change down to only 3 sets but doing 8 reps. This time you will really start to feel the pump but you will notice you are a lot stronger and more comfortable with the movement. I would recommend doing this 3 times a week as its a great pulling exercise and general upper body builder.

Once you can do 3 sets of 8 comfortably, you wanna get up to 3 sets of 10 which is a great rep and set range for aesthetics and the compound nature of the movement will lead to general strength. Once you are at this rep range you should try and add weight using a weight belt and continue from there.

I hope this helps, this really worked for me and I really struggled before with pull ups.

Do all you can and then do it with controlled negative. Jump up and try to slow the way down as much as you can