Pullup v. Chinup

So fit, which do YOU prefer?

I do a set each of pull ups, chin ups and neutral grips.

Weighted chin ups and rows. Never felt like I was doing pull ups properly so I ditched them

crossing your legs make the exercise easier
what a pussy

Always 3x4-6 weighted to 2 AMRAP bodyweight pull ups.

No it doesn't pussy. It leaves your core out, making it harder.

I do both. But if I had to choose, then Chinups.
I'm working my way towards a one arm chinup and I think that shit is awesome.

I always hear that pullups are lat focused and chins are bicep focused. There truth to this or is this just bro science

I feel like chinup involves my biceps a lot more and my back less, which makes it relatively easier.

Pullups behind the neck (or whatever the fuck theyre called) for lyfe

Chins. Hits the biceps, and who doesn't want that? Yes, they are easier than pullups, but who cares? Add weight. Chins are just a better use of your time.

turn your arm in and out and see which activates your bicep more you dingus

rope climb masterrace reporting in

Pullover masterrace up in this

I do weighted chin ups for my biceps and weighted wide grip pull ups for my lats.

>105lbs weighted chins
>still have dyel arms

Meme movement.

>I have body dysmorphia. Pls help.

I can get 22's too

Weighted pullups all day btw

Chin-ups.
Purely because I'm too lazy to do bicep curls so it's the closest thing my arms get to a workout.

i superset kroc rows with chins and my biceps burn baby, burn.

you heard correctly. pronating passively inhibits your elbow flexors, making you rely more on your shoulder extensors to make your reps.

both achieve different things

bang out a set of underhand chins

bang out a set of overhand chins

tell me it feels the same.

Damn. Could have gotten 22s but one-upped and scored 33s. Impressive, but not as impressive as these

I like chinups because I can hit the rest of my back muscles and those that are include in the pullup via other exercises such as lat pulldowns, t bar rows, overhand pulldown machine, etc.

I also use a variety of those muscles during the deadlift and would prefer not to weaken them. However, I have been doing switches between chinups and pullups when I do them just to make sure I get some sort of even strength and Pullups are by far much harder.

At one point or on a fresh day where I haven't trained anything else I can probably hit out 15-20 consecutive chinups right away and another 8-12 on the following sets depending on how much time I wait but it's one of those things you just go for.

Pullups is a different story, tfw.

both nigga

pull up for that lat gains
chin up for that bicep gains

neutral/hammer grip master race reporting in

>tfw no gf

I do both, chins on DL day and pullups on row day.

When will this meme die? There's barely any difference between the two.

>tfw cant do a single pull up

Why the fuck cant I make it brehs??

Do negatives or assisted ones until you can do them.

Pull ups cause I'm clinically depressed.

kipper spotted. If you do slowly, chins hit the arms more, pull ups hit the upper back more

Hammer pulls are easier on your elbows due to neutral grip. Thank me later.

>t. misc

I'm too fat and weak to do either.

>negatives
Negatives only make you stronger at doing negatives.

Incorrect. Changing the rep scheme he will get strong enough to be able to do one. Look up the scooby video.

Lol no, stop spreading false info faggot. Negatives got me to my first pullup reps, quickly too

I do 100 lbs for a 3RM, and >20 body weight for strict reps. It doesn't matter what you think you "feel". The biceps and lats are activated almost identically in the two movements. It's not like either one has significantly more or less flexion at the elbow or extension at the shoulder. You can't curl your chin over the bar, and you can't simply extend your humerus until your chin is over the bar either. You most close both angles at both joints.

The "chins for bis and pulls for back" meme is literally just a meme.

this is form breakdown right?

>do pullup
>elbows to the side and back
>get up to halfway
>elbows start creeping forwards, lose upper back activation
>at the top it's a reverse grip chinup

the only way I can think of to do it properly is to do slooow negatives ensuring the elbows stay away from the front, anything else brehs?

neutral grip

chinups are a guaranteed tendonitis flareup
pullups irritate an old disc injury

Only damned exercise where I get odd pains & get limited in variety

my elbow does an ominously painless pop whenever i do chinups
so pull ups all day every day.

Try neutral grip

>last rep of pullups or chins
>base of skull feels like its going to explode
>10 seconds of pure agony then it goes away

every fucking time, what is this bullshit

sorry, cant help, but I have the same issue so bump for this

pullups are one of my main movements. I do chinups because bicep curls are stupid as hell.

b-but now you're just bicep curling your entire body

Chin ups are easier, but because my lats are lagging, weighted pullups definitely

This on time at gym class, I was the only one to climb all the way to the top of the rope, I felt so proud and everyone was cheering on me, but then on the way down I felt paralized by fear of dropping and dying and couldn't do it they had to bring a huge ass stair.
I should had drop and died.

Guys, what If
Hey guys
Guys
What if
Guys srsly
What if you use mixed grip?

>on the way down I felt paralized by fear of dropping and dying and couldn't do it they had to bring a huge ass stair.
>they had to bring a huge ass stair.
>a huge ass stair.

pics pls

>what are lats

thanks year 11 pdhpe

you will die in the explosion

me 2 desu

what the fuck are you talking about?
how does crossing your legs remove your core from the kinetic chain?

>dyels who worry about insignificant shit like pullups vs chinups when their program is probably complete shit and have so many other things to improve

It was before the time every little shit had a phone with camera; hell, back then phones were unwieldy radiation bricks for the super rich, for wich I'm grateful, only memories remain.

say that to me fookin face m8

user, pls.

Mark Rippetoe says to do chins so i do them. The simple reason being more muscles are recruited in a chinup than a pullup which is reason enojgh for me.

i can't do either so lat pulldown machine.

They're completed different this thread is beyond retarded saged

>Pullups behind the neck (or whatever the fuck theyre called) for lyfe

RIP shoulders

You have to get naked in order to do either one properly. It upsets me that images never show naked people doing those primal exercises

Pull-ups are just to show you can do them.

Chin ups are the better exercise. Weighted chins work more muscle mass over a longer range of motion.

I can do 3*5.

Ama.

Weighted pull ups are by far the goatest.
I used to rock climb so im super used to the pull motion compared to Chins. Chins feel unnatural on a straight bar while weighted pull ups feel great.

Currently at 4x10 pull ups with +55 lbs at 190 lbs bodyweight. Gonna make it bros. Fuck Chins ive got biceps just doing compounds.

WHICH ONE IS IT???????????

>pronating passively inhibits your elbow flexors
Not really. It inhibits biceps, engages brachioradialis more. Biceps isn't your main elbow flexor so it doesn't really matter too much. But biceps is stronger than brachioradialis so pullups are a bit harder

Both activate shoulder extensors (and adductors) more or less the same amount

SUPAHSET

Too lazy to curl, so I exclusively do Chin ups.

Pull-ups are objectively harder and a lot more realistic exercise than chin-ups. Only plebs do Chins at my gym over pull-ups.

just split the difference and do mixed grip

Harder doesn't necessarily mean better, you mong.

I do 2 sets of weighted chins, 2 sets light weighted pull up, 2 sets max reps bodyweight neutral grip.
Do people really feel chinups in their back?Am I supposed to? I only really feel my lats activate in very slow pullups.

Chinups, because they let me skip bicep curls with clear conscience

no i fell for this meme and now my left bicep is way bigger than my right

youre fucking your shoulders you dumb shit

Pull ups because m-muh functional strength

It takes like 2 - 3 weeks to get used to them, man the fuck up.

>more realistic
In what way? How often do you find yourself doing either outside of a gym setting?

Fucking rows babyyyyy
I never do chins or pullups, that's for the birds.

Stupid related question: why can I pull up my whole body weight for like 5 reps without problem but can't lat pull machine pull (what?) half my bw once?

Momentum?

>i 'use' two sets of equipment at once because I'm a special snowflake

Each rep from dead hang.

Is there a subtle or not so subtle difference in mechanics or is it psychologic? I mean, almost 40kg is a not so small difference in two movements which look almost to be the same.

you're probably so short that the lat pull bar is so high for you that you're overextending your arms to reach it (with your legs locked) so your muscle fibres are too stretched to make an optimal contraction

>chin ups focus the bicep
just kill yourself Veeky Forums

Climbing always involves more movement of the pull-up kind. Chin-ups may help you carry boxes around lol

I'm better at chinups but I enjoy pullups more.

I do benches at every single angle 1, 2, 3...90 just so I hit it all, you get me senpai????

fucking shit guys,you work your lats the same with pull ups and chin ups

if chin ups are for biceps then pull ups are for brachialis right?fucking autists

I usually sit in my gymbros lap.
But seriously, nice try, I'm 1.82 and have no problem reaching the bar.

I was just thinking today this might be because of a deficiency in lat strength caused by the posterior delt being stronger.
It could also be linked to strong external rotator activating during the exercise and messing up your form.

2 sets of pullups to every 1 set of chinups

The reason I think lat strength deficiency and substantial posterior delt strength is the reason is because I often train rows to hypertrophy sets/reps but I rarely train chin/pullups

When I do I can do 10+ for sets, but voluntary or not I can't pull to elbows by sides hang for more than the second set.

I try doing pull ups after my Pendlays but I feel so wrecked after. It seems that rows and pulls/chins don't go well together. If I try switching the order then my rows suck.

What do?

How am I meant to grip the bar with my feet?

what about the uncountably infinite set of angles in between those 90 angles you mentioned?

Go lighter? Or don't do them on the same day?