Climbing - best upper body gains?

Does anyone on Veeky Forums climb? Bouldering, or roped in.

Climbing is one of the best excercises you can do if you want to build functional upper body strength. It gives you fantastic grip, huge forearms, and broadens shoulders. It's also incredibly social. Why do not many people talk much about climbing? I feel there's a place for it on this board.

I boulder at least once a week in my city.

Its kinda pricey so if you're on a budget just go climb a mountain instead

I really want to start, but the nearest bouldering place is about an hour and a half away (rural Alberta). When I move into a bigger city for school I definitely plan on starting though, and eventually progressing into outdoor climbing

I do but it's expensive to go more than once a fortnight and training too much fucks your tendons.

it's super expensive, you have to buy gym memberships, pay for safety training, buy a bunch of gear that wears out every 6 months, I would spend all that money on supplements user, get some real gains instead of tearing connecting tissue while trying to be trendy

no seriously tho, I've been climbing for 12 years, shit's chill as fuck, and it's free

Yeah until I pulled my tendon

>it's super expensive
nah
>you have to buy gym memberships
"hey man wanna hit the quarry this weekend" "sure"
>pay for safety training
go with an experienced friend or your local uni will likely have a uni climbing club who'll do it for free/cheap
>buy a bunch of gear that wears out every 6 months
I only boulder and I buy second hand shoes for ~$100 every 6 months and punish the fuck out of them, $20 of chalk will last literally forever, harness & rope have lasted their whole lifetime I've used them (like I said I only boulder though)
>get some real gains instead of tearing connecting tissue while trying to be trendy
the tendon thing is a real thing that pretty much every climber will experience at some point, but only because muscles grow stronger at twice the rate your tendons do which tricks everyone into pushing their limit when they should be training on the hangboard a lil more first. just warm up and don't be a hero on crimps and you'll probably be fine.

>Why do not many people talk much about climbing? I feel there's a place for it on this board.
there used to be generals on /asp/ but it got drowned when /asp/ turned into a WWE board.

only time I've popped pullies was on slopers, stop being a trendy fag.

>$100 every 6 months on shoes
not climbing barefoot

No kidding I'm deadly afraid of heights. Like seriously if you think you're scared of heights multiply that with 5 and you have me

Yeah because everyone has some fucking mountain or a quarry where they live
>????

The only rock climbing gym in my area is expensive as shit, i still go there but fuck dont make it sound like everwhere is a climbers paradise.

>functional
I don't have to scale too many cliffs in my day to day life, but I'll keep that in mind.

/out/ sometimes has climbing threads aswell

Only if you're a fat fuck

I can only afford to go once a week. Still no muscles though... Do I have to do fucking cardio as well?

also I fell last week and now my ankle is fucked pls help

Anyone find gf at climbing gym?

Pls

climbing gyms are one of the best places to find fit gfs imo, they are super social unlike lifting gyms

The fuck are you on about? All you need is $100 for a pair of shoes once every 8-12 months. I bought my first pair in April, have been bouldering 4x a week and that's literally the only climbing-related purchase I've made.

My climbing gym's membership is expensive ($75, compared to the normal gym rates of $25 to $40 in my area) but it's worth it to me - it's a full gym, not only rock walls. Climbing is always my favorite part of my workout and I've met some really cool people through it. I highly recommend it to people who can afford the gym membership

full of shit tier climbing gym shills

whoever started this $100 climbing shoe meme needs to be stung up like the dirty shill they are

same with this bullshit $50 a month gym membership

>buy shoes on sale $60 max
>climb barefoot
>urban climb/outdoor general to avoid cult tax

fuck off plebs, bunch of shills

The prices have really put me off. It's more than twice as expensive as my gym membership. Great fun and a great workout but not worth that money.

The guys that I see who are really good at bouldering are always small as fuck and sinewy.

Yep, it's literally one of my favorite things to do for fun, the awesome workout it gives is just a side effect. I pay $80 a month for membership at my local indoor rock gym and usually go 3-4 times a week for an hour or two at a time.

Yep found my last gf there, was there with my fat sister trying to motivate her to start working out and this hot af chick was literally just dancing around in front of me not even on the walls. Almost dropped my sister while belaying her because I was distracted. She went home and I started talking to the chick, I managed to get a good 8 months out of her before she started dropping hints about marriage and I had to bail. Fuck I miss that bitch, she was fit as.

>cult tax
finally have a proper name for it