Is joining the military worth it? (U.S. military)

Is joining the military worth it? (U.S. military)

Is life easier outside or inside the military? Want to know from someone who's been in the military and has experience.

In the military (assuming Army or Marine) you will hate your life in garrison. On deployment you will love it and then hate it towards the end. Once you are back you will hate it again. When you are out, you will want nothing more than to be back in.

Join combat arms or kill yourself pussy.

>Is joining the military worth it? (U.S. military)
Ohh yessa it's very very worth it.

This mostly. Word for word what I would say except I'm out and don't really wish I was back in. Seriously though you ain't infantry, you ain't shit.

I was a 12B (combat engineer) we did route clearance. But yea if you aren't pulling triggers why the fuck even join?

>you will hate your life in garrison
>when you are out, you will want nothing more than to be back in

so kinda like high school?

It's worth it to for the life experience if you're young.

It's easier if you're an idiot or dysfunctional.

I'd recommend everyone do one hitch when they're 18 for the adventure, money, benefits, etc. But everyone knows that the only ones who stay on more than 2 hitches are those who can't function on the outside. Also, if you're old (over 25) and want to join you've probably fucked up your life in ways that joining up won't fix.

Source: joined up on my 18th to be a navy seal but separated for medical reasons after a year of training. Don't regret it and still fantasize about going to war to see what I'm made of but am happy I didn't get roped in for the long or get blown to bits like some I know.

>Seriously though you ain't infantry, you ain't shit.
So this is what the canon fodder gets told.

YMMV

>acitve dutywas fucking gay and hated it

> reserve life so far is the the shit

>Join combat arms or kill yourself pussy.
>Seriously though you ain't infantry, you ain't shit.
This is why everyone thinks you guys are faggots. Because you say stupid shit like this.

And join the navy bro. Job is typically not that hard, pay is good, and the GI Bill fucking rocks. Plus you don't have to identify yourself completely and utterly by your job as a bullet catcher.

Yea sweet soothing lies but it worked haha

Yea pretty much brah

>infantry
>the branch of service that literally takes the most retarded out of a group of retards

go to college OP, but if you don't then go get a good MOS where you learn relevant skills.

Let them think what they want. They aren't Infantry so their opinions ain't shit.

>joined up on my 18th to be a navy seal but separated for medical reasons after a year of training

I've seen dozens of you and you're all pussies. You literally never made it to a station.

>healthcare
>job security
>travel
>meet exotic women
>bang said women
>not watch your friends die
>the GI bill (which you wont get when if you die)

You'll hear a common cliche but I think it's true: You get out of it what you put into it. If you go in, try hard, have goals, get promoted, it can be a good career. If you go in straight out of high school, put in your 20 years, it's hard to argue against retiring by age 40 with a pension.

But if you have no motivation and just want to party and drink and never go beyond being a dirt bag private, it will suck but, let's be honest, so will anything else you do.

You just wish you could be us for a day, and then you want to go back to your bullshit job. I have stories you wish you had.

Your job experience and practicality means nothing to me. I did what did for my own reasons.

Didn't get the chance brah. Don't hate. One of the things the military can teach you is that some stuff just ain't in the cards.

I did 4 years in the navy. I spent a lot of that time hating it because the military bureaucracy is god-awful.
However, I was stationed in Japan and got that sweet COLA (cost of living allowance). I could blow $300 every other weekend in Tokyo and still save up a whole shitload of money.
I took leave to Australia (x2) and New Zealand and banged a bunch of loose aussie sloots. I fucked whores in Thailand, Singapore, Manilla, and banged Euro hostel chicks too.
Then I got out and I get paid $2400/month to go to school full time (California) and I'll graduate with a degree in Finance without any debt.
Do I wish I was still in? Fuck no. The job itself is terrible and only retards stay in, exacerbating the problem.
Do I regret joining? Nope.

I'm: I have some pretty decent stories.
You guys all act like macho retards and knock up 22 year old dependas who gain 10lbs a year and poop out 3 kids (for the benefits of course).
Seriously, I never met a cool infantry guy. Spec war guys are pretty cool, though. Take the chip off your shoulder

Shipping out on Feb 14th to Lackland. Will be an Air Traffic Controller if I don't screw up in basic. Civilian career should be pretty sweet, if their are openings, as they start off around 75k per year so it can be very worth it.

nah gramps i went and went crazy in active being a dirt bag got out then went to reserves where being competent gets you promoted

still gonna get my pension but i dont have to take cocks to do it

welp dont fuck it up and dont kill yourself

Try to get something that gets you a job in the civilian world later. I heard that Air traffic control or the navy nuclear engineer is very much in demand. Don't be a fucking grunt.

If you ain't infantry, you ain't get your legs blown off and kill yourself after ten years on hard pain meds and the VA ignoring you.

>Your job experience and practicality means nothing to me

It all makes sense now as to WHY you're a bullet sponge

Are you a police officer now?

Don't go Naval Aviation. The work is fucking terrible

Really? I heard that that was one of the more "chill" communities.......at least compared to SWO.

Is it a good thing to join if i want a more regimented life but im not willing to go behind bars to get it?

Let me explain this to you. Most people join the military because they don't have many other options. That's not always the case and that might not be your case. Either way, you'll be surrounded by people who are there as a last resort and you'll have to work with them, eventually manage them and always receive orders from them. You'll undoubtedly come across great people, and if you're great yourself, you'll stick together. That is until they're stationed elsewhere. That's truly gut wrenching. You may not be able to relate, but it's like losing a loved one.

You'll be working and often times living in a government run environment. Things will both incredibly efficient and you'll have to be equally as efficient, but things will also be a fucking mismanaged mess that will make you question how the fuck things got this way.

In the end, you'll have great stories, fond memories, life long friends and also memories of a lot of dumb shit that comes with the package. Most who serve appreciated that time of their life and most wouldn't repeat it. Service gives and takes. It's a tremendous sacrifice, but also has sone nice perks.

My advice to you, is that this is one of the most drastic, life changing decisions you can make and should not be made hastily. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you and you'll never know the answer to that until after the fact.

Just do yourself a favour and see through all the marketing and glorification and see military service for what it really is. If you go in thinking what they want you to think, it will crush your spirit.

as an outsider looking into this thread. this was the cringe of the day

You get benefits, health insurance, and discounts for life. You can also get housing and shit as well.

>call recruiter
>leave message
>he never returns call
Sooooo

Would you recommend joining the navy to someone who just wants to sail and travel?

I'd like to join, but I'm terrified of being stuck in some backwater port for four years counting seagulls.

Get proactive you fag. Hemingway was rejected from the service so finagled his way into the ambulance corps to see action instead. Your grandpa probably lied about his age to go fight Nazis in WWII. If you're gonna be a wiener cus the recruiter didn't pick up the phone then you're a waste of life and deserve to stay on here anyways.

Take this guys story with a grain of salt because Japan is fucking shit
The navy is on some level a dice roll and what you make of it, although this is coming from an ET reservist. If you want to see cool things be really hood rich in your early twenties and get college paid for active duty is the way to go tho. Just don't opt six years, they'll reduce to 4 on most contracts other than Nuke and HM

Of course it's pussies like you that post stupid shit like this.
This is literally your typical Veeky Forums post. Where dyels try to give tips to guys who are almost there. You're spewing shit out of your ass when you couldn't even get past boot camp.
You might as well just say, "they wouldn't accept me cause my dick is too big."

God damn it, don't go die for jews user

its worse as on the inside. That guy is faggot pog for sure.

>On deployment you will love it and then hate it towards the end. Once you are back you will hate it again. When you are out, you will want nothing more than to be back in.

>be 18
>DEPed into the Marine Corps
>decide not to join a day before shipment
>five years later I'm 30k in debt because school and work some garbage job because it's my only option
>want to join another branch because I literally have zero direction
>father with 25+ years in the military telling me it's a great idea
>my sister and her husband who both recently got out strongly advising me not to
>don't know whether to listen to the guy who hasn't been in the military for years or the two that have post-9/11 experience

fuck no, not unless you're escaping poverty

if you're doing it because you're fucked on student loans, go as an officer after you graduate. you get paid more and they'll help pay your student loans, the gi bill is a meme.

In the navy right now and this is pretty much it. The bureaucracy sucks but that pay is good. Only issue you really run into in the navy is the long wait times to get shipped to RTC. Could take over 6 months.

You legit sound like the g that joined to be a war hero but ended up washing uniforms all day because you are too retarded to be trusted with a weapon.

I called twice, sent 2 emails, and sent in my info AND texted.
Like I'm not tryna be rude and walk in their office when they're busy but damn it's been a month and a half

Walk into their office, if they haven't responded they will be forced to start talking with you

If you have a degree go officer route it's a lot better than enlisted and will be more worth it. You'll also easily pay off your student loans if you become an officer

>have 300 to blow every weekend

This right here. If you're not making at least double the minimum wage you're getting cucked. I did military 4 years and was "rich" sure you only make 24k starting...BUT you don't pay for medical/dental/rent/bills. Tax free purchases on base, comfy living, safe environment, travel the world. You might be getting wageslave ethic, but you're not a wageslave with angry consumers in your ass and struggling while living with mummy.

Once you do 4 years you get free schooling and bam no debt. I don't know how some people stay at walmart/bestbuy/mcdonalds until they're 25 and not do this path instead

Just get a bigboy job. No sense in putting it off.

The vets I work with have like no personality, all they can talk about is their time in the service.

The army will get you to a level of fitess required to do the job so just make sure you have the personality for it because if you are autistic like others on fit you will be treated badly by the other recruits and maybe even beaten up when you go to sleep if you are a real outcast.

Coastguard

Flirting with the idea of doing AF reserve after medical school.

Any thoughts on being a reservist? How is officer life compared to enlisted?

everyone is a cuck to you and says hello. It'll probably get annoying

>Join combat arms or kill yourself pussy

Join combat arms AND kill yourself after

They just don't like you, pussy.

Literally posting from my country's military college.

This was the best decision ive ever made. I get paid to get a college degree AND get huge, my lfits went from bullshit to above average in less than a year.

>10/10 would recommend

>get free food, housing, college, and money straight to your pocket just for directing aircraft or some shit, while getting weekends off
Absolutely worth it.

This. When I'm interviewing vets for a technical job I'll ask their skills or what they did in the service. They'll say they were infantry deployed or worked at a base and were in charge of protecting a room. I'll just be like okay, well this is a software engineer position. Just get a bigboy job.

Sounds like their mistake was choosing a carreer irrelevant to their MOS

>carreer
Case in point.

Question for anyone in the military, do people ever give you shit if you're honest about the fact that you're in for the benefits?

Naw dog they're never too busy in the office. Recruiter duty is a vacation so most of em just fuck around all day and don't answer the phone. If you're serious about joining 100% walk in there and they'll have the process started within an hour. Just make sure you know what you want and stick to your guns, otherwise they'll try and hustle you wherever they need to fill their quotas.

Even for the AF?
It's like 13 minutes away from me too jesus

Yes if you're joining the AF dont let your recruiter convince you to join with an open ended job, you'll just end up with a job you don't like

What's your point?