When did the latin roman culture die within the eastern roman empire?

When did the latin roman culture die within the eastern roman empire?

After Justinian roughly.

It never completely died, it was still the Roman Empire, the people living in it referrred to themselves as Roman.
The language shift was probably inevitable simply because the majority of citizens and aristocrats spoke Greek. So if you want a date for that it would be during Heraclius' reign.

Started to shift around the end of Justinian after convulsions of the plague. It completely metamorphosed after Heralius' defeat of the Persians. He started to claim the title Basileus (Greek for King) instead of Caesar or Imperator. And then after the constant curb stompings from the caliphate, the Romans lost any Roman-ness that was left in them.

>sluts wearing icons on a dress
Fuck this world

It's not really something that happened in a particular century or due to a certain event, it was a gradual transformation - it's kind of like asking when Norman culture stopped being 'French' and became 'English'.

Bear in mind that, had it survived, the Western Roman Empire would likely have looked less and less 'Roman' (in the sense of the word that I assume you mean) as the centuries progressed. A time traveling Republican senator would probably feel almost equally out of place in 5th century Ravenna as he would in 7th century Constantinople.

It didn't "die", it evolved

>everything you revere and hold sacred reduced to a marketing gimmick for some rich asshole’s product
Welcome to neoliberal capitalism. Be sure to give your thanks to the billionaires hijacking the state and economy while co-opting religion, too.

yeah wasn't justinian the last one to speak latin, after that Greek was the official language of the empire

> A time traveling Republican senator would probably feel almost equally out of place in 5th century Ravenna as he would in 7th century Constantinople.
But you could very easily say that about a senator in 0 AD going back to 200 BC.

You sure could (especially since there's no such year as 0) - I was more just making the point that there wasn't some conscious decision to drop Latin culture or a cataclysmic event bringing about its end, and that it was closer to an evolution that naturally occurs within any nation over time. That's not to say there weren't factors in the East that made the cultural shift more pronounced though.

Never. It synthesized with Greek culture.

When Caesar crossed the Rubicon

Because roman culture turned, unironically, into homosexual debauchery and sick fuck shit.

That's why all their leaders, governors, emperors, nobles, generals died the fuck out and germanics took over.

Around Hadrian. Not because of Hadrian, but because all the wealth was in the East. Everyone knew this the moment the Romans conquered Greece, Anatolia and Cappadocia, it's why they had such a fear of the East and its wealth for the next 2 centuries.

>Le Romans degenerated meme

You can't ever be happy can you?

Be glad they show the aesthetics and expose more people to them.

>muh aesthetics
Those whores should be killed for blasphemy.

i bet you werent even baptized orthodox or have an icon in your room, you stupi fag

I'm Bulgarian so you're wrong on both counts, western faggot.

Are they icons? Couldn’t it easily just be the emperor or some shit

roastie tier argument

I would like to remind you that it never really existed in the East. The few people that spoke Latin at all were government officials, lawyers and soldiers. The main Latin law school was in Beirut but other than that wasn't much Latin culture there at all. Ammianus Marcellinus was considered strange for being a Greek easterner who wrote in Latin.

They're icons